• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lynels display some of the best AI I've personally seen in games

Just don't be a coward, that's the trick. Get in there and parry sword hits with your shield, and backflip the sword+shield attack.

I love these guys.

Honestly you don't ever need to fight them with a shield. You can jump any of their attacks to trigger a flurry rush, even the ones where they're galloping at you.

What did you think they would say if you brought them the arrows but the Lynel was still alive?

I never said it had to be killed. You could be in combat with it and make a dash for the arrows. That woulda worked. The game doesn't say, "yo you dont need to kill it" (which is fine)

It's not implicit that you don't have to fight it. Not many people would figure out first time that that dont. I will say talking to all my gamer friends we all beat it. But I remmember saying someone who doesn't play lots of games is never gonna beat thatthing at that point.

koss424

I never said it had to be killed. You could be in combat with it and make a dash for the arrows. That woulda worked. The game doesn't say, "yo you dont need to kill it" (which is fine)

It's not implicit that you don't have to fight it. Not many people would figure out first time that that dont. I will say talking to all my gamer friends we all beat it. But I remmember saying someone who doesn't play lots of games is never gonna beat thatthing at that point.

in fact there is a side quest that asks for a photo on the enemy

Bulbasaur

Banned
I finally tamed the giant horse but then had to find a stable. All of a sudden this guy sees me and shoots me dead. I haven't encountered another one since and I'm glad.

ogbg

Running around grabbing arrows seems like a pretty sensible approach. Either way, neither stealthing it nor running around while it chases you class as fighting it.

The way up the mountain is littered with shock arrows. That's the game telling you you can just pick them up stuck to trees and stuff. The fact that there's a tough enemy around doesn't change that.

But anyone who didn't kill the lynel anyways is a wimp, sorry.

Hmmm the only thing this enemy did to me when I fought it was shoot like 1 arrow and then just constantly charged me, maybe I need to give battling these things another try, cause I didn't notice anything that the AI was doing that was great. It whooped my butt though.

Kurdel

Banned
The way up the mountain is littered with shock arrows. That's the game telling you you can just pick them up stuck to trees and stuff. The fact that there's a tough enemy around doesn't change that.

But anyone who didn't kill the lynel anyways is a wimp, sorry.

Who cares what anyone else did, that is the beauty of the game not some misguided point of pride lol

Running around grabbing arrows seems like a pretty sensible approach. Either way, neither stealthing it nor running around while it chases you class as fighting it.

Running around while it chases you aint considered stealth either :p

It's frankly what I would havr done if I wasn't confident I could beat it. Shoot it in the face to stun. Dash for arrows.

What I am saying is, I doubt many people would not enagage it at all.

Who cares what anyone else did, that is the beauty of the game not some misguided point of pride lol
Funny, when you really think about it, BotW is a game about confidence. The game taunts you by showing you right away where the final boss is, but what holds you back is whether or not you think you're ready to fight him.

ogbg

Running around while it chases you aint considered stealth either :p

It's frankly what I would havr done if I wasn't confident I could beat it. Shoot it in the face to stun. Dash for arrows.

What I am saying is, I doubt many people would not enagage it at all.

Sure. I think I just misunderstood your initial statement. I agree it's not a stealth mission. Neither is it a combat mission. It's an arrow collection mission.

darklin0

Banned
They are cool and fun to fight. I have not seen any cool AI things that other people are expressing but maybe that is because I just run at them head on.

No its not, no need to be snide about it.

And apparently I wan't the only one who had this ''misunderstanding''

it's clear in the way everything else in the game is. all the multiple ways to beat the mission are presented through the environment rather than a quest log or check list.

its just collect arrows. whether thats through stealth or combat or running around wildly and stealing arrows before u die, the game doesnt care.

Sure. I think I just misunderstood your initial statement. I agree it's not a stealth mission. Neither is it a combat mission. It's an arrow collection mission.

Basically. I actually prefer it that way. Just get the arrows. However you wanna do it doesn't matter.

One time I
shot Dinras horn
and it landed near a Lynel. I swear he went over and broke it because it was gone as soon as he walked near it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The first Lynel I fought was the one you have to face as part of the
Zora
questline, which I initiated first, and it took me more tries than Ludwig in Bloodborne. It was my first "you'd better learn this game's combat mechanics" moment, and boy did I ever learn them.

And yes, I know that you don't have to fight him. I wanted to.

Been avoiding the OT and anything spoilery about BotW, but when I saw this thread I wanted to add my lynel story too. Sorry I just skimmed everyone's posts because they talk about a lot of gear and powers I don't wanna know about.

I've got 6 hearts, 1 memory and I've fought no divine beasts (though I am close to the Zora one.) Just saying because I think I was under leveled for the fight in terms of gear/damage output. Anyway, I fought my first Lynel the other day... that one on the hill with all the shock arrows. I used up most of my food in the battle including all the high defense mixes I made out of ironshrooms combined with armoured carp. I had been hoarding all the best swords I found for an occasion that I wasn't even sure existed - turns out this was it.

The fell beast charged me down and I turned him back with parries and flurry attacks. The 4 knight's broadswords I had saved up got him down to about half his health before they were all shattered and lost forever. They were the ace up my sleeve that I thought would win me the day, turns out I would need to be more resourceful than that. I began wielding a shield with no sword, then quickly equipping my 2-handed greatswords to hit him after parrying or getting the flurry attack prompt. As the battle raged on, with me shattering sword after sword on this terrifying Akuma headed centaur man-thing, I was reminded of the Hedge Knight, where Ser Arlan of Pennytree would tell Dunc stories of how he jousted with Baelor Breakspear and the two shattered lances against each other over and over. As this intimidating monster hurled giant fireballs at me, I really felt like I was taking part in a fight that epic and hype...Although this tale has probably grown in the telling a bit, just as that one did.

When I finally slew the beast, I felt a sense of elation I haven't felt after winning a boss fight in a very long time. This game man. So good. I'd used up all my best weapons in that fight (the only good sword I have now is the one the Lynel dropped) but it felt totally worth it. Then, as I was riding the high after my victory, I suddenly realized... I forgot to take a picture of the Lynel for the quest I'm doing for that Zora lady...Whoops!

I've stopped following the main Zora story line ever since that Lynel clash. For my play sessions the last couple of nights, I've walked the earth in search of more swords worthy to restock my library of steel, that I might have the edge (literally) the next time I cross blades with Calamity Ganon's strongest servants. I haven't found anything as good as a Knight's broadsword yet, but I've had a lot of fun adventures while searching, so I'm happy. And if I come across another Lynel anytime soon, I think I'll just take that photo I need and be on my merry way.

bomblord1

Banned
I knew I could stealth the mission given they said all you needed was the shock arrows, seeing the shock arrows literally everywhere, and the fact I was basically told not to fight the lynel because of how strong it was on top of the Link hiding behind a rock cutscene.
I fought it because I wanted to fight it and I didn't stop retrying it until I won.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Eh. It seems that way at first, but once you actually understand how to fight them they're actually really easy to fight and don't really take much in the way of skill or tactics. It really is just a matter of doing the slo mo dodge over and over again. Their attacks are really choreographed and not particularly varied. Lynels are a very tough encounter when you first encounter them. But once you know how to beat one you can easily get through any Lynel fight taking zero damage. The only question is how many weapons you'll break during the fight.

jG95bE7.jpg

Took this mid battle. Love fighting them.

faridmon

it's clear in the way everything else in the game is. all the multiple ways to beat the mission are presented through the environment rather than a quest log or check list.

its just collect arrows. whether thats through stealth or combat or running around wildly and stealing arrows before u die, the game doesnt care.

I understand that after fighting the animal, and dying multiple times (as I alluded earlier). Yeah, the game is clever with these environmental mission statements but as someone who is new to these kind of game, it took me time to figure out what to do.

How can you see how many HP he got?

Certain equipment gives you that information.

Fandangox

No you don't. You can headshot them without statis to stagger them and then mount them. When they just wind up or just wind down their fire attack is a good time.

I know that. But that's not what the person I quoted, nor who they were quoting were talking about.

mindatlarge

I've had them teleport to my location when kiting them around a structure in the game, which I thought was cool. One also apparently fell off a cliff and teleported back to my location instead of dying from the fall...I assumed he fell as we were fighting on the edge of a mountainous area.

Calamari41

41 > 38
They make a point of presenting you with at least one tree with shock arrows stuck in it right before you get to his area. That's the developers' hint that you don't need to kill him in order to get the arrows.

jonjonaug

Low level monsters do stupid things. If you've seen the silver versions, they aren't doing anything foolish.

I think my favorite instance of this: Low level monsters will pick up bombs to throw them back at you. Higher level ones will kick them at you instead.

Malice215

It wasn't until after I killed the lynel that I realized that I could have just took the arrows that I needed. Oh well he dead now.

I don't know about them having the best AI, but they're a challenge to take down, and the second fight that I had with one was easier once I knew what to expect and how to approach him and cheese him out. Now I'm going to get revenge on the ones in the desert and the forest that one-shotted me.

Some see it as an issue, but I enjoy the fact that the game doesn't explain much to you and gives you freedom in how to approach objectives which leads to players coming away with different experiences. I usually get bored of Zelda games, but this is the most I've played one since Zelda 2.

Ridley327

lynels and octorocks are crazy accurate with their projectiles

The fact that Octoroks in this game actually adjust their aim based on whether Link is stationary or on the move is crazy. Those guys are really good at shooting ahead of your trajectory to get a hit in.

Peltz

I've killed about 8 Lynels now. Honestly, I wish they were a little harder.

The first 2 times were very exciting until I figured out a formula for easily dispatching them.

They make a point of presenting you with at least one tree with shock arrows stuck in it right before you get to his area. That's the developers' hint that you don't need to kill him in order to get the arrows.

I picked up arrows at that lynel and tried to get a picture of him for a side quest, but he spotted me a bum rushed me. I decided to stick around and kill it even though I already had the arrows I needed. I'm glad I did. It was very memorable.

I understand that after fighting the animal, and dying multiple times (as I alluded earlier). Yeah, the game is clever with these environmental mission statements but as someone who is new to these kind of game, it took me time to figure out what to do.

Certain equipment gives you that information.

Ah ok, thanks for not spoiling :)

Smellycat

My first encounter with one was at the east gate, and I noped the fuck out of there after it first killed me in one hit.

The next time I saw one was during the Zora Domain quest. I finally beat one and then I realized that I could have just snuck around and grabbed some arrows lol

Luigiv

BTW all this back and forth bickering about the lynel near Zora's Domain has me wondering, I wonder, did anyone else also have enough thunder arrows before beginning the quest that you didn't need to bother with him? I had like 30, so I appreciated the game acknowledging that in the dialogue and letting me know I didn't have to bother. I thought that that was a cool touch.

Hylian7

I know he says only collect arrows. Now the moment I went there, the fact that the ''boss'' is there, I thought I had to defeat him in order to get these 20 shock arrows.

After countless death did I see that there are arrows just lying about, and kicked my self for repeating that fight.

The game does not make it clear.

And the game shouldn't make that clear, it should be something you discover. You see how powerful the Lynel is, but notice there's arrows in the trees. You bail the fuck out and sneak around and grab the arrows and get out.

adversarial

BTW all this back and forth bickering about the lynel near Zora's Domain has me wondering, I wonder, did anyone else also have enough thunder arrows before beginning the quest that you didn't need to bother with him? I had like 30, so I appreciated the game acknowledging that in the dialogue and letting me know I didn't have to bother. I thought that that was a cool touch.

Had 0. My buddy told me you got a good weapon and shield from killing it though so I just killed it.

Kind of curious as to the state of AI in games if the Lynel AI is unprecedented because it doesn't attack unless you pull out your weapon.

pantsmith

Speaking of Lynels - how are you supposed to avoid the attack where the charge you and swing with their weapon?

I usually guard with my shield and try to dodge/strafe left, but I'll get hit 50% of the time and I feel there must be a better way.

Top Bottom