• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lynels display some of the best AI I've personally seen in games

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The fact that Octoroks in this game actually adjust their aim based on whether Link is stationary or on the move is crazy. Those guys are really good at shooting ahead of your trajectory to get a hit in.

That is indeed impressive, and so annoying. I'm like, leave me the hell alone, I'm trying to run away here! But nooo, gotta hit me in the head with your damn rocks, perfectly aimed ahead of me so that I run right into where they land.

BTW all this back and forth bickering about the lynel near Zora's Domain has me wondering, I wonder, did anyone else also have enough thunder arrows before beginning the quest that you didn't need to bother with him? I had like 30, so I appreciated the game acknowledging that in the dialogue and letting me know I didn't have to bother. I thought that that was a cool touch.

The game is in general really good at letting you finish stuff before you actually get the mission to do it, and then take that into account. Whereas other games will have quests glitch out (or just force you to do the thing anyway, even though you've already done it), here I've seen none of that. Just another aspect of what an incredibly polished open-world game this is.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This is how I snuck through the
Yiga hideout before I realized bananas distract them. I popped up, made them see me for a split second, went back behind cover, moved to a different spot, and had them investigate my previous hiding spot while I snuck up behind them and killed them. Metal Gear Zelda.

Lys1aBL.png

Yoooooo where did you get that image? Is there a larger sized one??

burgerdog

There are shock arrows on the trees and ground, so you're supposed to get your ass kicked and instead sneak around and collect the arrows in the area.

Supposed to get your ass kicked? I don't think so. I destroyed it with 5 hearts and parries all day long. I guess that's the beauty of BotW. Not skilled enough to kill it? Sneak around. Mastered the combat? Kill it.

bomblord1

Banned
Speaking of Lynels - how are you supposed to avoid the attack where the charge you and swing with their weapon?

I usually guard with my shield and try to dodge/strafe left, but I'll get hit 50% of the time and I feel there must be a better way.

I always do a perfect guard. The timing will take a few tries to get right but once you find it is is fairly easy to it. And it leaves them open for a second or so afterwards.

magnetic

I love Lynels and I love how different the move sets they have with different weapons. Parrying their moves and countering them is so satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Or88ErrwGY

The video above is not me, but really demonstrate how a skilled player will play against Lynels.

Holy shit, that reminds me so much of Monster Hunter.

I wasn´t aware the combat in BOTW can be so varied and precise. Staying with the Monster Hunter comparison, the constant weapon switching reminds me a lot of the item management in MH during a hunt (stamina, weapon sharpness, healing, keeping hot/cold/buffs going), only that you can do it right then and there without needing to run into a secluded corner.

Thinking about it that way makes me really excited for this game. I was pretty down on the weapon durability, but in the context of this fight it seems like it´s best to think of them as temporary battle items. In that sense it actually seems like it gives the battles more strategy, like a deck of cards.

I also kinda dig being able to pause in a battle to think about how to proceed next. It gives it this little turn-based feel that I sometimes miss in pure action fights.

Geg

No its not, no need to be snide about it.

And apparently I wan't the only one who had this ''misunderstanding''

There's a cutscene when you enter the Lynel area showing sticking out of various trees and surfaces. I don't know how they make it more clear outside of text prompts telling you what to do.

Thud

There's a cutscene when you enter the Lynel area showing sticking out of various trees and surfaces. I don't know how they make it more clear outside of text prompts telling you what to do.

Collect arrows by any means.

From the trees it lands on or make it shoot more.

Collect arrows by any means.

From the trees it lands on or make it shoot more.

I tried this method at first before I noticed they were already more than enough stuck in trees. I don't recommend it. At all. You guys know if you start running down the mountain these things can teleport part of the way, right? They don't have to run to chase you

antibolo

Banned
During the Zora shock arrow mission I was like "ok let's do this, fucker's going down".

5 game over screeens later, I was like "yeeeeeeaaaahh that's not gonna happen, let's just steal some arrows and get the fuck away".

R0ckman

They're basically the, "have you mastered the parry and perfect dodge system?" enemies. First one I fought was in Hyrule Castle, but he was easy because it was in a small room that made it easy to mount him over and over.

Nottle

One time I was retrieving a massive horse to the south west of the map and there were 2 of those dudes hanging out. Sniped me from very far away after I tried galloping past.

I've had some really lucky and clutch arrow shots to their faces when they were charging.

One thing I love is baiting out a fire breath attack, then using the updraft to get enough air to slow mo shoot them in the face. Thanks for the free mount damage!

En-ou

Love fighting these guys, you cannot make more than two mistakes in a row.

WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C95.jpg

I know he says only collect arrows. Now the moment I went there, the fact that the ''boss'' is there, I thought I had to defeat him in order to get these 20 shock arrows.

After countless death did I see that there are arrows just lying about, and kicked my self for repeating that fight.

The game does not make it clear.
In case you missed it - the game is all about NOT making anything clear to you but all about you experimenting and discovering.

The Lynels in this game are a perfect realization of this:

They've always been some of my favorites in Zelda, and in a weird way, I'm almost glad that this is really the first 3D representation of these guys as my memory of these has always been one of a sheer perfect "oh shit, these things are powerful as all hell." BOTW definitely carries that with them as opposed to say... Darknuts in 3D games which have been hit or miss depending on the game.

TZchassis

I met the first one close to the Mt. Lanaryu memory location. It was midnight and I looked at him and found him just staring at me. Attempted to hide behind a wall and thought that's it I am pretty far now, looked again and zoomed and he was just standing and observing. Tried to run and he unleashed his bow and electric arrows.

That is probably one of my favorite moments in the game. I just wished that there were like 30 different enemies similar to lynel in terms of difficulty spread all over the world. Its too much fun facing new terrifying enemies vs. the same but a little bit harder.

The_Lump

Banned
I know he says only collect arrows. Now the moment I went there, the fact that the ''boss'' is there, I thought I had to defeat him in order to get these 20 shock arrows.

After countless death did I see that there are arrows just lying about, and kicked my self for repeating that fight.

The game does not make it clear.

The game doesn't make it clear in dialogue, no. But the whole ethos of the game is pushing you to solve things in your own way, with the freedom to go outside of your first instincts. This was actually a turning point for me; after getting my ass handed to me twice by the Zora Lynel, I naturally thought "is there not an easier way to do this, seeing as I'm only after the arrows?" and then it clicked that he's walking in a regular patrol pattern, I can just stealth it.

The fact that the game doesn't outright tell you to do that made it click. From that point on I looked at every encounter/puzzle from multiple angles instead of the obvious one.

bomblord1

Banned
Love fighting these guys, you cannot make more than two mistakes in a row.

WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C95.jpg

In case you missed it - the game is all about NOT making anything clear to you but all about you experimenting and discovering.

Is it actually possible to stay on one long enough to make something happen?

molnizzle

The game doesn't make it clear in dialogue, no. But the whole ethos of the game is pushing you to solve things in your own way, with the freedom to go outside of your first instincts. This was actually a turning point for me; after getting my ass handed to me twice by the Zora Lynel, I naturally thought "is there not an easier way to do this, seeing as I'm only after the arrows?" and then it clicked that he's walking in a regular patrol pattern, I can just stealth it.

The fact that the game doesn't outright tell you to do that made it click. From that point on I looked at every encounter/puzzle from multiple angles instead of the obvious one.

Same for me. This was the point where I began to realize what the game was really offering. I started to appreciate it so much more after that.

Phu

Banned
They're basically the, "have you mastered the parry and perfect dodge system?" enemies. First one I fought was in Hyrule Castle, but he was easy because it was in a small room that made it easy to mount him over and over.

I came here to bring that up. I first ran into a Lynel in the shock arrow quest and that's definitely where I learned to take perfect guards seriously since before that I wasn't really making use of it.

koss424

Fuck Zora storyline

How the fuck am i supposed to know that I shouldn't fight with that Lynel?

Trail and error? Read the tips between load times? I mean, it was evident to me at the beginning of the game, and through that there was always multiple ways to finish every goal. The fact that the arrows were not all held by the enemy was a great clue.

televator

I just ran from the motherfucker. He froze my horse, and I ditched the horse. lol

Dude summoned the elements to destroy me. Can't compete with that shit.

PSFan

Running around while it chases you aint considered stealth either :p

It's frankly what I would havr done if I wasn't confident I could beat it. Shoot it in the face to stun. Dash for arrows.

What I am saying is, I doubt many people would not enagage it at all.

it's clear in the way everything else in the game is. all the multiple ways to beat the mission are presented through the environment rather than a quest log or check list.

its just collect arrows. whether thats through stealth or combat or running around wildly and stealing arrows before u die, the game doesnt care.

And the game shouldn't make that clear, it should be something you discover. You see how powerful the Lynel is, but notice there's arrows in the trees. You bail the fuck out and sneak around and grab the arrows and get out.

I don't get all this. I did the Zora stuff over the weekend. And it was the old Zora who didn't like me at first, who told me that I had to collect shock arrows from the Lynel at the top of the mountain.

I died really quick a few times too when I first got up there. I hadn't even seen him yet and I was suddenly engulfed in electricity and died instantly. Never saw it coming.

Wut.
Lynels AI is so bad, in melee range they are just so baitable, so you can just control the fight by staying close.

That doesn't make them bad, just predictable. Animals are predictable. That's the crux of how animal taming works in general, that their behavior is far simpler and far more predictable than human's is

I died really quick a few times too when I first got up there. I hadn't even seen him yet and I was suddenly engulfed in electricity and died instantly. Never saw it coming.

I think you just got unlucky that it was on your side of the area when you arrived up there

Is it actually possible to stay on one long enough to make something happen?

When on a Lynel the only thing you can do is mash Y for damage, you'll stay on it for a couple of seconds and do a fair amount.

Lynel fights are great because the best way to fight them is to go against everything your brain is telling you and get up right in their face. You try and keep your distance? They fuck you up with elemental arrows. You go for mid distance? You miss out on so many parry and flurry rush opportunities.

Sword and shield Lynels are pretty easy, but the club Lynels are in a whole 'nother league of tough. Really rewarding to get a weapon with over 75 power though.

Those clubs also happen to be one of the best weapons to down Lynels with. You can also down another Club wielding Lynel with it and not have it break IIRC, which allows you to "break the economy" so to speak.

DrArchon

Lynel fights are great because the best way to fight them is to go against everything your brain is telling you and get up right in their face. You try and keep your distance? They fuck you up with elemental arrows. You go for mid distance? You miss out on so many parry and flurry rush opportunities.

Sword and shield Lynels are pretty easy, but the club Lynels are in a whole 'nother league of tough. Really rewarding to get a weapon with over 75 power though.

R0ckman

I understand also why they chose the lynel for this game, since the over world is the meat of the game. If the dungeons were more in depth I'm sure Darknuts would be in them. It was a great feeling going "Oh, aren't these guys from the first Zelda? Wait, this is their first 3D appearance!"

Its a shame that the dungeons were not as in depth. I enjoyed them for what they were as I viewed the overworld as the main course but the problem I had was how they had to sacrifice enemy variety. Its absolutely insane that they are doing that in a Zelda game. There must have been a stern decision to do this, can't imagine all of the devs being happy with link entering the desert and snowy mountains fighting the same damn monsters in both locations.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I love Lynels and I love how different the move sets they have with different weapons. Parrying their moves and countering them is so satisfying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Or88ErrwGY

The video above is not me, but really demonstrate how a skilled player will play against Lynels.

Pretty good, although the person playing seems to be under the impression that you have to equip a one-handed weapon to be able to guard with the shield. You don't. Just press B to lower your two-handed weapon, and you can use the shield until you press Y to get the weapon out again.

I understand also why they chose the lynel for this game, since the over world is the meat of the game. If the dungeons were more in depth I'm sure Darknuts would be in them. It was a great feeling going "Oh, aren't these guys from the first Zelda? Wait, this is their first 3D appearance!"

ALBW's 3D

/s

PSFan

I think you just got unlucky that it was on your side of the area when you arrived up there

Maybe, but I quickly figured out
how stay below and circle around to come up on the far side and then I was able to pinpoint his location and sneak around and collect the arrows

Kazerei

Banned
I don't even remember the Zoras warning me about the Lynel (I probably scrolled through the text too fast), but I do remember that when I reached the mountain top, there was a short cutscene that zooms in on the Lynel and ends with Link hiding behind a rock with his back to it, like in typical stealth game fashion. I thought that was clear enough, but perhaps not everyone sees that cutscene? I actually skipped talking to Sidon on the way to Zora's Domain, and just glided over the Lizalfos. I didn't even realize that journey was a quest until I finished it, :lol.

Whales

Banned
the funniest part is that if you ever try to cheese a lynel, it just teleports away and waits for you to come closer to re-appear.. lol

they're very fun to fight. I've been searching for their location on the map. At this point I pmuch only fight the white ones and their huge bludgeon ( can drop and has 80 atk....) destroy my 50def shields in 1 hit

I just wish the game had more tough enemies like the lynels. For example, darknuts in BotW couldve been sick

kubev

Here is an indepth fighting guide for the timing of flurry rushes and blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IUPHWJuzC0

The guy beats them as a hobby with no damage and tree branches. He's good!

There's no way in Hell I'll ever be able to pull something like that off. I'm really bad at Zelda-style combat in general. I suppose that I'll continue ducking these things. I did think that the
stealth approach that you take with the one Lynel while collecting Shock Arrows
was pretty cool, though.

Watching a Lynel react to me drawing my weapon and then sheathing it blew my mind. They are really observant and even if they dont attack, they will keep their eyes on you.

Except the one in Zora. That guy just hated my guts and wanted nothing more than to destroy me.

emb

Loved the implementation of these guys, and the Wizzrobes in this game. Wish we would have had more awesome implementations of classic Zelda monsters. Moblins were kinda lame I thought, but the bokoblins were a decent realization of how I imagined moblins. Octoroks were bad, but I forgive that based on some of Aonuma's comments about guardians.

I would have loved to see Moblins a little closer to this:
Or even

Meanwhile, I think these things could make for a disgusting or cute, but either way terrifying enemy when fully realized in 3D (they could even have a mechanic where you'd need to whistle to hurt them):

Like Likes could have fit in well with the disposable nature of shields in this game, and darknuts are usually an intimidating enemy, that would have been a much better fit for this game's castle.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Thought I had to defeat Lynel
for the Zora divine beast
, so many deaths.

JRBechard

The first time I fought the Lynel on the top of the hill, I already had stormed Hyrule castle to get some gear and I shot him with
an ancient arrow
which I hadn't had used until that point. He roared, got shot and just
blipped out of existence
and the music faded out to a deafening silence on top of a peaceful hill.

After nearly 60 hours I still avoid these motherfuckers like the plague. Can't parry or dodge for shit so I'm pretty much fucked if I get too close. There's not much room for error when fighting Lynels.

DylanEno

They're super cool. Definitely one of the most intimidating enemy encounters I've had in a game. Their design is sick, their attack patterns are insanely aggressive and diverse, and their damage output is devastating.

I loved the intended introduction to them - where you're meant to scale that mountain near Zora's Domain and follow the shock arrows plunged into the various trees. I just knew I was hunting something deadly.

But my first encounter with one was near the entrance to Mount Lanayru when looking for a memory. I had an experience similar to yours where we were just kinda sizing each other up before it proceeded to kick my ass; and just as I thought I was safe from harm, he show lightning bolts that rained from the sky and electrocuted me to death, lmao.

Fighting one in a small enclosed arena is easy af though. Just gain enough distance to force him to charge you, run out of the way and jump onto his back for a monster hunter style execution. Repeat. Ezpz

Top Bottom