• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Pro case for PCs now on Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only been inside the 2012 model so I'll take your word on it. And I should have limited my initial response to things like the motherboard. Swapping hard drives and graphics card is really easy in the 2012 pro, but everything else seems like it'd be a headache.

Even upgrading the CPU(s) is a snap, but yes- you're pretty much married to the logic board that's in there. The whole layout and design of the case is dependent upon the layout of that board.

Oxn

I backed this project for now, so that I can hold onto the cheaper price tag.

I really hope they make replaceable front panels, because I would love to update to HDMI 2.0 and USB-C should they provide it in the future.

meh, I don't want my desktop to be a garbage can.

I'd rather it on a boat:
05091354145l.jpg

or in a train:
lian-li.jpg

Lian Li does make great cases btw.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Sony actually had cylinder computer back in Vista days, so whatever years that was being loaded as default. However it was much shorter, and the parts were still oriented horizontally.

I think they were supposed to be able to 'stack' optional components, but I don't know if they ever took off to that point:

sonyvaio-vgx-tp1dt.jpg
Wow, I never knew, this is just gorgeous.

Risette

A Good Citizen
A small cylinder case without the heat & airflow design which makes the Mac Pro actually cool sounds like a disaster. Maybe a cool way to cut your PC parts' lifespan in half (or less).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The thing is Apple engineered everything from scratch to make it fit in that small case.

This one will require people to buy parts off the shelf that fit. Which will end up being lesser powered than a normal case, wouldn't it?

Again it's just a case of the imitator not understanding what they're actually trying to imitate.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its true, I was excited when we got ours in at work, they looked great right out of the box sitting on the desk.... Until you plugged them in. So ugly looking with all the wires coming out of them, and impossible to hide the wires if you want to easily plug in head phones or us the USB ports. such a horrible design in regards to functionality.

Damnit really? That's hilarious because its the exact same problem everyone complained about with the Cube

jstripes

Banned
The whole point of the current Mac Pro design is air flowing upwards against a unique heat sink.

UEchGyC.jpg

Sticking an ordinary PC motherboard in there, with sideways mounted fans, completely misses that point.

wonzo

Banned
The whole point of the current Mac Pro design is air flowing upwards against a unique heat sink.

UEchGyC.jpg

Sticking an ordinary PC motherboard in there, with sideways mounted fans, completely misses that point.

Yeah this Kickstarter's dumb as hell.

I always felt that the professionals weren't asking for a redesigned Mac Pro as much as new motherboards and chipsets. Instead of a big box, you have a small trash can with a bunch of shit daisy chained to it. Impressive engineering, but not practical.

MrGerbils

I love the new Mac pros but just wish I could put fucking nvidia cards in one so I could use Cuda.

AMD workstation cards are basically useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom