• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Kickstarter games died

Orenji Neko

I am glad that Bloodstained is all I ever invested in. I am sure it will be good, but as far as this stuff goes, there seems to be more bad examples than good, and aside from this one game, that’s pretty much it for me.

Paltheos

Maybe I just don't have as many bad experiences. I've been let down by a kickstarter but if I learned about one from developers I like and don't have any particular reason to distrust- Yeah, I'd still go in on it.

Griffon

Early access is a more sane version of that. You buy and you get a version of the game right away. You can judge the advancement of the project by yourself instead of being kept in the dark. And theres no bullshit merchandise/stretch goals.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Making games appears to be hard work. Making them on a fixed budget is probably significantly harder. I suspect a project lead that can consistently deliver games on time and on budget is worth their weight in gold in the industry, probably aren't too many floating around to run kickstarter projects.

Which leads to the real answer: Some people in this thread are mentioning exceptions that turned out great, without realizing that the simple fact that those games are indeed exceptions is exactly why people aren't too keen on kickstarter.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I backed Shenmue 3 and I will finally play it in this year... what they showed until now looks pretty good?

So where is it dead?

Last edited:
I've participated in about 15 game kickstarts and easily double that in tabletop/board games. I've only really been let down by a few but you can't be right every time and I can't think of one that was just a straight up scam(that I've personally invested in).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
For things I supported Yooka-Laylee wasn't outstanding, but it was worth it. Mighty No. 9 was a disaster. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero was as fantastic as expected but I'm not sure how necessary the KS was for it to happen. Steel Assault hasn't happened and seems like it wont. Jenny LeClue has taken forever but seems like it will be good. Bloodstained better freaking deliver and I think it will.

Will I back more games? No.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I'd use Kickstarter if I knew how long development of my game would take. Thing is, you don't, unless you'be been decades in the industry or you're making a clone of something, developing something standard with no innovation.

New, interesting mechanics have an unknown development time and that's not good for Kickstarter. Some publishers/developers have learned how to deal with that, some haven't (and, btw, that's why you get a bunch of bad games from some publishers) and the public definitely haven't.

So that's why Kickstarting your game never really took off.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I backed a handful of projects. The most satisfied I’ve been has been with Bloodstained and hopefully ShenMue III.

I backed Into the Stars, Pillars of Eternity, Unsung Story (where the hell is it?), Aegis Defender, TimeSpinner, Underworld Ascendant, Last Year, and maybe one more I’m missing.

Underworld Ascendant had a lot of updates before it was worth playing. The Discord for it was definitely worth joining because they told me about all the changes.

I was super excited to back Bloodstained and ShenMue 3. My copy of Bloodstained is $60 and I get it Monday? A day before release. I kinda wish I could have spent more for more gifts. It looks like the digital copy is much cheaper. I’m not upset. I’m excited for the game. Much like I am ShenMue. If it got me a game at a good price then I’m alright with it. But overall I could have probably ordered it somewhere else. A few of those games weren’t all that great.

Unsung Story or whatever, that game worries me. They used a couple big names in the industry to hype up this project and it’s nowhere to be seen.

Oh I remember, Night Cry, I backed that project. It was alright. I wasn’t that excited when I got to play it. I wanted it to be good though.

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
Personally, I've never backed a KS project but I'm grateful for those who are fine with rolling the dice on interesting looking games. It seems like a lot of times they are left holding the bag but every now and then, their financial gamble gives the rest of us a real gem to play.

Top Bottom