• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All these big sales lately has made me realize how little interest I have in today's AAA games

Killjoy-NL

Same-ish.

I think that becauss AAA titles are few in between, it often happens that I have big gaps in between because I don't always like a specific title.
(Like Spiderman or Uncharted on Playstation)

So it's logical that smaller games take up the majority of my purchases.

That's why I'm happy GaaS exists, because I can always play those games until the next major title I'm interested in releases.

So far, only FFVII Rebirth and GTA VI are AAA titles I'm interested in, so that's 1 game a year for the next 2 years, at least.

This year there was no AAA title at all for me, but I'm cool with that.

Last edited:

Fbh

Is chained echoes worth buying on sale for like $18?

IMO absolutely, it's worth it full price.
It's easily one of my favorite JRPG's of the past few decades (well JRPG-style since it's not made in Japan). Pretty good story with a fun cast of characters, a world that's a blast to explore with some interesting ideas regarding progression, combat and exploration. It has few but meaningful side quest and isn't full of bloat like most modern JRPGs ,etc.

It feels like a solid late SNES / early Ps1 era JRPG but with some modern ideas thrown in too. The creator has some obvious inspirations from classics of the genre but I like how the game has its own identity and never feels like it's just trying to be an imitation of past games.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

AAA games have become the McDonald's experience of gaming.

Pretty much the worst way to spend your hard earned money.
I enjoyed BG3 a lot this year. And it certainly feels like an AAA game in production quality.

Hogwarts was quite good despite its faults if you are Harry Potter fan and my kids loved it.

I really enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima, first Spider-Man and God of War as some other AAA examples. Hell, I liked AC Origins and Odyssey (latter with some experience and mercenary nerf mods/trainers).

I do love me some good AA and indie games as well though. Pathfinder WotR, Rogue Trader, Star Ocean 2 Remake, Chained Echoes, Octopath 2, and many more have been very good recently.

deeptech

To me, last few years there would be one or two maybe big budget, big dev, big publisher releases. I love games that I can derive lots of meaning from, great stories, artistry, etc. And nowadays, these are usually smaller in budget and/or size as well as indies.

Top Bottom