• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

gdt5016 said:
I liked Anna showing up, but I too wish she wasn't translucent. Only mark against the episode, but it's an extremely, extremely small one.
That didn't bother me really. The fake ass crying by Hamm did :lol They should have tried a few more takes to get that just right because while the emotion was there, the physical side of it just wasn't (him holding his head down at a 90degree angle helped to hide it though).

LaneDS

Ghost Anna was just completely out of place for the series and a little too blatant of a way for letting us know that Don knows she passed. I don't know too many drunks that hallucinate either.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I loved this episode because it was essentially the "fly" episode for Mad Men.

<3 AMC and <3 This show.

gdt

rhfb said:
That didn't bother me really. The fake ass crying by Hamm did :lol They should have tried a few more takes to get that just right because while the emotion was there, the physical side of it just wasn't (him holding his head down at a 90degree angle helped to hide it though).

.............Really?

That's gonna win him the Emmy next year.

LaneDS said:
Ghost Anna was just completely out of place for the series and a little too blatant of a way for letting us know that Don knows she passed. I don't know too many drunks that hallucinate either.

maybe he was drinking absinthe

honestly ive never liked the ghost/apparition plot device in shows and movies. i don't get them. they just feel too much for the audience and not something relatable on any level.

would have been better if he just had a real dream about her or something

hamchan

I need to watch this episode again.

I find it funny how they managed to squeeze in the word "shitting" at the very end of the ep.

LaneDS

brianjones said:
maybe he was drinking absinthe

honestly ive never liked the ghost/apparition plot device in shows and movies. i don't get them. they just feel too much for the audience and not something relatable on any level.

would have been better if he just had a real dream about her or something

It's a really cheap and lazy way to get an idea across to the viewer, I agree. A dream would have worked far, far better; you're right. Mildly cheap too, but better than seeing visions in the middle of the night.

gdt

hamchan said:
I need to watch this episode again.

I find it funny how they managed to squeeze in the word "shitting" at the very end of the ep.

AMC lets you say "shit" (or it's variations) up to 6 times (I think) an episode. Mad Men only does it 2/3 times though, at most.

True story :lol .

Chris R

gdt5016 said:
.............Really?

That's gonna win him the Emmy next year.
Like I said, everything leading up to the actual cry was great, and so was everything after. I just had issue with how poorly acted (IN MY OPINION) the head up to tears and head down bit was, all 2 seconds of it.

LM4sure

Banned
sprsk said:
I loved this episode because it was essentially the "fly" episode for Mad Men.

<3 AMC and <3 This show.

uhhh no. things actually happened in last night's episode, unlike the fly episode

Amir0x

Banned
LM4sure said:
uhhh no. things actually happened in last night's episode, unlike the fly episode

wow i don't know how you got nothing happened in "The Fly".

It was a meticulous build up to a very specific detail about what was going on, but it revealed a ton about the characters Walt and Jesse. If anything, it was one of the stronger character episodes.

And I have plenty of problems with Breaking Bad and the characterizations at times, but Fly was preeetty good

LM4sure

Banned
Amir0x said:
wow i don't know how you got nothing happened in "The Fly".

It was a meticulous build up to a very specific detail about what was going on, but it revealed a ton about the characters Walt and Jesse. If anything, it was one of the stronger character episodes.

And I have plenty of problems with Breaking Bad and the characterizations at times, but Fly was preeetty good

Yeah, I get that. Lots of character development which is fine, but plot wise, nothing happened. I got railed in the Breaking Bad thread when I said that, so whatever. Love the show, hated that episode.

i would have thought mad men fans would appreciate an episode like the fly more than anyone.

edit: what he said :lol

Burger said:
What makes you think he wasn't dreaming ?

he dreamed he saw a ghostly apparition of her? not sure why that would be any better

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
LM4sure said:
Yeah, I get that. Lots of character development which is fine, but plot wise, nothing happened. I got railed in the Breaking Bad thread when I said that, so whatever. Love the show, hated that episode.

i agree. the fly episode was self-indulgent and lame.

Raxus

rhino4evr said:
If this episode doesn't win Hamm an Emmy nothing will.
The only true competition he has is eliminated this year (Cranston). That leaves Hall (Dexter) and Laurie (House) and their seasons haven't started.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Raxus said:
The only true competition he has is eliminated this year (Cranston). That leaves Hall (Dexter) and Laurie (House) and their seasons haven't started.
Neither of them are really worrisome - they carry their shows well, but they aren't on actually good shows.

Raxus

I like both shows even if they are not as good as MM or BB.

Still you have to consider this is just judging the actor from an episode showing their skill (not the strength of the season as a whole) and nothing else and all of them deserve some credit for what they do.

Raxus

If it wasn't for the kids Betty and Harry could have been written out of the show. Poor January Jones, she went from a really strong season 2 and 3 to having nothing to work with this season.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Raxus said:
If it wasn't for the kids Betty and Harry could have been written out of the show. Poor January Jones, she went from a really strong season 2 and 3 to having nothing to work with this season.

i don't really understand what they've done to Betty in regards to her character... I just think her character is utterly bizarre.

I don't think Don seeing Anna was meant to be taken as some sort of ghost walking in. I figured we were just seeing what's going on in Don's head for a minute. Were we supposed to think we were actually seeing Child Dick and his family chilling in Present Don's kitchen a while back? :lol

Anyway, amazing episode. Overall s4 has been better than s3, but this episode is perhaps the best of the series. I was literally smiling for hours after it ended.

Edit: In the last episode with Betty, she was coming off as a flat-out cartoon villain for the first half of it. I get what they're doing with her and Sally, but it's getting a bit too out there for me.

Raxus said:

Betty's a kid herself. She's coming back, but she'll definitely be less of a focus as she's not don's wife anymore.

thekad

Banned
Amir0x said:
it's just so amazing how this show is. Weiner is a fucking conductor in some masterful orchestra, directing his writers to the heart of things with a slow, calculated precision that I don't think I've ever seen in another show, even in The Wire. It's so impressive when the pieces fall into place that I can only sit and shake my head in admiration, content in the knowledge that I may, in fact, not be worthy.

Shit dude :lol

petethepanda said:
In the last episode with Betty, she was coming off as a flat-out cartoon villain for the first half of it. I get what they're doing with her and Sally, but it's getting a bit too out there for me.

i didnt like that line about her wanting don "dead".. that seemed a little over the top.

squicken

petethepanda said:
I don't think Don seeing Anna was meant to be taken as some sort of ghost walking in.

Yeah I don't think we were meant to take it as some sort of spirit that would get the atheists all riled up like they do. He was drunk, thinking of her dying and Samsonite, and saw her carrying a Samsonite suitcase.

The incongruity I guess was when he was drunk and drugged by those grifters and saw a completely opaque vision of his dad. I have zero problems with it.

brianjones said:
i didnt like that line about her wanting don "dead".. that seemed a little over the top.

For better or worse, the Betty character is a child. So saying things like "I want you dead" is completely in character. There's just nothing left to do with her. The marriage is over, Don is a weekend dad, and she's a minor character now.

bathala

Banned
just powered through season 3 this morning all the way to current.

really really great show. Now I know why it won Emmies.

Really like the Peggy and Don scene on the last episode. I wanna see Don get out of his boozing and women cycle.

RaidenZR

Man, another bunch of pages about why show "X" is better than show "Y" and mentioning show "Z" is sacrilege. Who cares about this arbitrary filing order? And who cares if this, that, or such and such wins an Emmy. That stuff is a year away and it affects you not.

I turned off that episode of Mad Men and I just sat for a few moments and let it absorb. I get the feeling a lot of people go grab a bunch of signs to champion their favorite write/director/actor/show to the nonbelievers and then want to offer nothing else.

Does anyone just watch and enjoy these stories on their own merits without worrying about all the ranking, hierarchy, and possible acknowledgements? I'm not trying to rile anyone up specifically but the bickering and random, often disconnected comparisons to other shows is a bizarre reflex for just simply letting us know you might have enjoyed the past 45 minutes. It's literally started to become the only thing people want to talk about every week. Most of the time thoughtful comparisons don't surface, and more often than not it ends up being a 'my favorite show is better than yours'. I don't even post in here that much but I feel like it's the majority of what I read shortly after an episode airs.

I'm sure I'll get shit for this but to me claiming such absolutes on the various examples of 'Excellent Fucking Show' is silly.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Best episode of tv ever? I don't know about that. It's fucking good and maybe a contender but I can't give it that title without knowing how it plays in the context of the rest of the series. It was a goddamn great episode that tugged my emotions every which way but let's not spoil it with hyperbole.

traveler

Not Wario
:O

It's too soon for me to say this and it's hyperbole, no doubt, but man- that might have been the best episode of any show I have ever seen.

Edit: I totally posted this without reading any of the preceding posts. :lol

RaidenZR

i_am_ben said:
i don't really understand what they've done to Betty in regards to her character... I just think her character is utterly bizarre.

Yeah she quickly became irrelevant to the show's major points in this season. If the season has felt slightly off in any way it's that Don Draper's family doesn't exist when we/him don't see them. There's loose ends there, and maybe it'll wrap back around in some capacity with the second half of the season, but it does seem lopsided with the office life. But the most entertaining stuff is what happens with the office life, so it's still good viewing.

Is it also strange people made a big deal about the actress who plays Sally getting a title credit but she's maybe had like 10 minutes of screen time in the 7 episodes so far? Is this politics or something? I imagine she'll be coming back into the season more in the next coming episodes but it's glaring how many names flash in the the intro now.

dave is ok said:
'Fly' is the most divisive episode ever. The BB thread was hilarious when it aired

I still think Fly is the best Breaking Bad episode so far. I absolutely loved it.

Also, yeah, The Suitcase was amazing. Don blowing up during the argument was PERFECTLY done. Tremendous acting.

LCfiner

While I'm a huge fan of this episode like many here, i think some of the talk about how this was the episode that changed everything is a bit of an exaggeration.

personally, I think movies got their butts handed to them by serialized TV back when The Sopranos was blazing its trail a decade ago.

And then it happened again with The Wire.

Mad Men is just the latest example to show us what man of us should have already known. Well made serialized TV is capable of much more subtlety and character-based tension than nearly any movie.

It has the benefit of allowing us to spend years with characters, not just a couple hours.

Mr. Pointy said:
I think 'The Suitcase' will be judged to be the exact point in history where TV made film its bitch.

That would actually be the 2nd of June, 2002.

The first episode of the Wire

Edit: Ah, already mentioned.

Shiggie

Dont forget OZ guys. I watched it for the first time after watching the Wire. While not as good, it rapes, no pun intended, most movies a new one.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
LaneDS said:
The ghost scene can be seen as a dream. Dreams usually incorporate things people have been thinking about. Anna appeared as a ghost holding a suitcase (Annas death which he knew from the memo and the Samsonite problem were on the front of his mind) so it really doesnt have to be taken as supernatural.

Man Men is so far ahead of every other tv drama its not even funny.

tabsina

Ugh.. I really don't like reading Breaking Bad discussion in the Mad Men thread, I know I am behind by only being just under half way through season 3 of BB, but there is a reason why I'm in this thread and not in the BB thread

dave is ok

aztek is ok
tabsina said:
Ugh.. I really don't like reading Breaking Bad discussion in the Mad Men thread, I know I am behind by only being just under half way through season 3 of BB, but there is a reason why I'm in this thread and not in the BB thread
petecampbellshrug.gif

EVERY OCCASION

dave is ok said:
petecampbellshrug.gif

EVERY OCCASION
2uzrzwp.jpg

cory64

Raxus said:
Kyle Chandler doesn't have a chance, but he's up there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom