• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 5 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

so amazing. feels like what i think of the sixties has properly arrived with the big birthday party scenes and the race relations stuff. loved roger in this episode, and the starts of what seem like the central conflicts this season like roger vs peter, peggy vs megan, don vs megan, scdp trying to come across as progressive but avoiding blacks, were all great.

don is fucked forever too. my heart broke when megan said 'nobody loves dick whitman', their relationship seems more fulfilling to don than with betty or alone, but it's not the same as with anna, nor i'd guess if he gave faye a chance instead of buying into his advertisement style dream wedding.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Pete is such a little baby, Roger didn't steal mohawk airlines he got them going to the point that Pete couldn't fuck it up if he tries.

Hope Roger gets some big accounts back to rub in his shitty little face.

Honestly still have no idea why they felt the need to put full screen baby balls on my tv. Feels like a frat boy intern on the show won a bet with one of the higher ups and his reward was getting balls shown during the premier.

Would be happy if Betty was gone forever. She is just a toddler in an adult's body. Nothing interesting about her in the slightest.

sammich

Maybe i missed it but why was Bertram back? I assume since they didnt buy him out last season when he "quit" it really didnt happen?

I'm Team Campbell now. Fuck roger, as much as i love him.. he's basically dead weight now.

Great season opener.

That scene with Lane on the phone was so painful to watch. Him keeping the photo was sadder. Seem like his father caning put him to shape. Surprised that his wife decided to move back to the states.

Don being a dick (HA, pun intended) and getting away with it.... as always.

Surprised that Megan knows about his past, seems like he's almost tired of hiding it... or he actually trusts megan... but we don't know how much she knows.

OMG Harry... SMH. That scene with Harry and Roger was fantastic... even harry feels that he has some leverage against roger. Yet Roger prevailed by having mad cash on his pocket.

Great start. Cannot wait how it unfolds.

Only 2 more seasons after this right?

Weiner came back in, nailed every character, and set in motion some enticing moving parts. Tempted to think we're in for another great season.

Halfway thru the episode Roger is fucking great this fucking episode. Holy shit.

They must have been saving them up. Either that or Roger is finding an extra amount of gallows humour in his situation; he'll have to tap-dance for his life, if he wants to keep someone as crazy-tenacious as Pete at bay. Annoying as he is, Pete's becoming a lot more sympathetic in his whining with Don relaxing his edge (Peggy is the authority on the man; his wife couldn't put together a party for him without her, after all) and the others hardly being sources of new business or, in the case of Bert, any sort of business relevance outside of name cache.

Sealda

Banned
They should have casted Dany DeVito as Jon Draper, would been perfect.

rts_014DannyDeVito.jpg

He is like made for the role.

EDIT:

Brad Pitt would be good too, real classy man

84934.jpg

Arcteryx

haha yea I was surprised to read about that in the NYTimes today:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...musical-single/?smid=tw-nytimesarts&seid=auto
On Monday, Lionsgate, the studio that produces “Mad Men,” said it was releasing Ms. Paré’s cover of “Zou Bisou Bisou” as a single, to be sold digitally in Apple’s iTunes store and as a limited-edition vinyl release

Pretty cool

Mangotron

What does it say about you that you found that scene "sexualized"?

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. I feel like the show includes unnecessarily weird scenes with children, i.e. Glenn watching Betty pee, Sally masturbating, etc. It's not that I find them offensive but they do next to nothing for the show, and they're just kind of awkward. For instance, there are plenty of ways to show someone putting cream on a babies butt without a full-on nut shot accompanying it. I'd also understand it more if it was on HBO or something and there was more nudity in general, but they adhere pretty strictly to the almost-boob policy.

Maybe I'm weird though.

Arcteryx

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. I feel like the show includes unnecessarily weird scenes with children, i.e. Glenn watching Betty pee, Sally masturbating, etc. It's not that I find them offensive but they do next to nothing for the show, and they're just kind of awkward. For instance, there are plenty of ways to show someone putting cream on a babies butt without a full-on nut shot accompanying it. I'd also understand it more if it was on HBO or something and there was more nudity in general, but they adhere pretty strictly to the almost-boob policy.

Maybe I'm weird though.

I found it really out of place. Like you said, it really didn't fit in at all.

I think they had good "reasoning" behind the Sally stuff(the whole 1960's "our daughter must be a Lesbian because she masturbates" thing), but the way they went about it was weird.

Altazor

really liked the episode... so glad to have Mad Men back! :D

Quick thoughts:

-Roger Sterling was on fire during the episode. So many great lines! ("why don't you sing like that?" - "why don't you look like him?"; "shut up!"; "so this is every month?" - "get the HELL outta my office!" and so on)
-LOL @ Harry's comments about Megan.
-Megan's dance... daaaaayum. Also, dat "cleaning carpet" scene. Yummy.
-I'm sympathizing with Pete, as hard as that sounds.
-Bert is... just there
KuGsj.gif

-Sally's got a deeper voice now :O
-Lane Pryce seemed kinda creepy with the Delores picture thingie. On the other hand, he was nice and kind enough with Joan. Love the character!
-Joan's mom worries too much.
-I still love Trudy most of all. Alison Brie <3
-Peggy looked great. It was kinda sad to see her disappointment when the Heinz people didn't like the idea, and then seeing that disappointment grow even more when Don didn't say shit to them, heh.
-I also thought that was the Drapers' kitchen. Really similar colors. Oh well.

Eagerly awaiting the next episode :D

Maybe I'm weird though.

There's a split second last night where no one could tell what they were looking at, and were wondering if it was hot.

ultron87

I enjoyed the episode, though I was expecting something 'shocking' to happen at the end. My bet was on Megan being pregnant (what with the whole "being sick" thing).

Question: Pete still doesn't know about Peggy's baby, right?

StuBurns

Banned
Solid episode, but I expected something somber in the final act. I imagined a climb of joy before a crash of macabre. I read it referred to almost as a film a few months back, I think I just expected too much.

Don's wife though, holy fuck.

EDIT: Pete does know about Peggy's baby. She told him in the 'could have had him' speech a while ago I believe.

Talon

The children scenes bring to bear the constant theme of shattering any nostalgia we may have for this perfectly clean and polite era in the 60s.

Solid episode, but I expected something somber in the final act. I imagined a climb of joy before a crash of macabre. I read it referred to almost as a film a few months back, I think I just expected too much.

Don's wife though, holy fuck.

EDIT: Pete does know about Peggy's baby. She told him she 'could have had him' a while ago I believe.
He knows.

One of the great MM scenes.

Mangotron

Yeah I think AMC over-hyped it as a "Mad Men movie", it was really just two episodes smashed together. They're doing the same thing for The Killing. On the plus side it means we're moving through the stage-setting episodes that are always at the beginning faster.

Great episode.

Felt weird watching it on AMC though. I watched all previous seasons via Netflix.

I watched the first 3 season on Blu. Yeah, it's hard to adjust but you get used to it. I ended up rewatching S4 on blu anyway. It's better without commercials and the week-long wait, though the time between episodes is nice to let yourself absorb it.

StuBurns

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/IoLbl.jpg?1[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'm surprised when she was talking about him keeping her up all night, he didn't make a crack about taking after his father. Such restraint.

EDIT: That red dot is for CG? Do they all fake smoke on the show?

Mangotron

What would've been amazing is if they got the companies to pull out their 60's commercials and show those, like they did with Newsweek. Probably too expensive for this show though.

What would've been amazing is if they got the companies to pull out their 60's commercials and show those, like they did with Newsweek. Probably too expensive for this show though.

Be careful what you wish for. I remember some real clunkers when a couple of companies tried to do Mad Men themed ads that aired during the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom