• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

huxley00

Meh, the show tanked after season 4 or so in my opinion. Once the family split and his wife got remarried, something happened...not sure what, but I just didn't really care about it anymore. Season 7 wasn't any better.

I got 50/70 on the quiz. I was doing really well, considering that the questions are in chronological order with the seasons, but fell off big-time once we got to seasons 6 and 7 as I have only seen them once.

Love this show - will do a big re-watch later in the year when I have all the blu-rays lined up. Still need to get seasons 5-7 on blu, I never loved them as much as the earlier ones. That will hopefully change as I give some further attention.

Joan plays the accordion

Caught "My Old Kentucky Home" on TV last night. I remembered parts of it, like Roger's blackface and Don meeting Connie in the bar, but there was so much I didn't. The Joan scene, Pete and Trudy dancing, and Sally reading The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (such a smart kid) to her grandpa. I really need to rewatch the whole show one day.

Pete and Trudy dancing

Oh man, that sequence. That made me like Pete, and I didn't like how much I was liking Pete in that moment. I had so much hope for a brief second that he wasn't a fucking grubworm of a person.

Of course, it turns out Pete is one of the few people on the show who has managed to learn from his mistakes. Or at least some of them.

Oh man, that sequence. That made me like Pete, and I didn't like how much I was liking Pete in that moment. I had so much hope for a brief second that he wasn't a fucking grubworm of a person.

Of course, it turns out Pete is one of the few people on the show who has managed to learn from his mistakes. Or at least some of them.

It was strange watching that scene with the knowledge of last week's episode. Pete could have been that guy all the time if he had wanted to. Or at the very least a lot less of a, as you say, grubworm. He's definitely matured and is one of the show's best characters in my mind.

It's hard for me to choose between the two, but I'd have to say Summer Man edges out The Suitcase for favorite episode. Guess i'm a sucker for internal monologues and The Stones.

JTripper

If it is a film let's hope it is better than his one from 2013 "Are You Here" which has a rating of 7% on rotten tomatoes.

Is it really that bad?

On a more relevant note, I'm watching the end of "The Suitcase" now, and it's a masterpiece of an episode. The scene where Don breaks down in front of Peggy is heartbreaking, especially now that the show is ending. The final "open or closed" line between them followed by Simon and Garfunkel is so effective. I hope Don and Peggy have one more moment together.

Dany

Banned
don-draper.gif

JTripper

I remember David Chase also had his directorial debut in film after The Sopranos ended and it wasn't the greatest movie. I thought it was decent though. It's funny too, cause it was about the 60s also.

big ander

I haven't seen Are You Here but I have to believe something went wrong and Weiner couldn't course-correct. The brain behind Mad Men should have at least one good movie in him.

Meh, the show tanked after season 4 or so in my opinion. Once the family split and his wife got remarried, something happened...not sure what, but I just didn't really care about it anymore. Season 7 wasn't any better.
I've been enjoying Season 7 and the show remains one of the very few I watch live.

But my interest definitely took a hit; for me, it was probably after Season 3. My wife loves those early seasons, too. It's been pretty hard to keep her on board but I think she likes this final season as well.

As I said, this final season has been a strong close but those first few seasons were edge of my seat awesomeness.

Edit: Looking through the episode recaps, we definitely were still riding the MM high through Season 4. May need to jump in on marathon.

A couple of pre-finale podcasts:

- Tim Goodman's TV Talk Machine
The end approaches for Don Draper, and so in this episode Tim discusses his expectations for the “Mad Men” finale. Plus we answer your “Mad Men” finale questions and address some brief TV news. Harry Shearer, please call James L. Brooks if you’re reading this.

- Grantland: ‘Hollywood Prospectus Podcast': Special ‘Mad Men’ Finale Edition
Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald talk about the achievement and legacy of Mad Men as they look forward to the series finale.

Top Bottom