• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madoka Magica "Concept Movie" Short Film Announced, Possible Lead-In To Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
3rd movies ending made no sense. Ridiculously out of character.

So whatever they do, i just hope he has a coherent ending this time.

Actually, it's SUPER in character as an aftermath of the tragedy they went through in the series. Madoka Magica is the rise and fall of Homura, from innocent girl to infatuated young woman, to crazy possessive lover.

It mirrors real, broken, relationships pretty strongly.

I thought Rebellion was fine. It's in-line with what Homura's true desire. I always felt that she got short-charged at the end of the TV series.

Yep, her actions in Rebellion made so much sense considering the fallout of the series ending.

Actually, it's SUPER in character as an aftermath of the tragedy they went through in the series. Madoka Magica is the rise and fall of Homura, from innocent girl to infatuated young woman, to crazy possessive lover.
Plus the fact that
she was more or less incubated at her turning point into a witch in the stasis field, so she'd be at her absolute lowest point and even more focused on her one point of obsession (and emotional demise) than ever

Yep, her actions in Rebellion made so much sense considering the fallout of the series ending.

you say that, but they didn't make her out to be broken.

SOLDIER

Well this is going to be a big bump, but the concept movie was released online it looks like!

Youtube

Subbed version when?

Going to hold out until that gets released.

There's also been some additional information from storyboards and such. It's hard to parse together from translations and vagueness, but one of the notable details seems to be that

Kyubey is going to play a big role again, secretly meeting with Madoka without Homura's knowledge

Replicant

I don't know why people hate "Rebellion". I thought it did a good job of showing how thin the line between love/obsession/selfishness tend to be, which Homura crossed back and forth throughout the series. The film was a culmination of her desire.

jonjonaug

Good to see this out there, but some people are acting like this is a trailer when it's really just Shaft going "here's a bunch of ideas we had at meetings that aren't necessarily even consistent with each other, what do you think?".

I'm torn on whether or not I want more Madoka. On the one hand, the TV series is my favorite TV anime ever made and I loved Rebellion. More Madoka would almost certainly be quite a treat.

But on the other, both the way the TV series ended and the way Rebellion ended are great open endings, so you run the risk of making something that's not as interesting as whatever viewers came up with for themselves. There's also the fact that Gen Urobuchi has been busy doing a bunch of other projects (Gaim, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Godzilla), prefers working on new things, and has said repeatedly that he wants to leave Madoka to others. But Madoka without Urobuchi might as well just not be done because I don't think there are other writers in the anime industry that could pull it off. I think Iwakami and Shinbo know this though, otherwise we would have gotten something more than just a four minute "concept film".

But hey that's enough being a pessimist. The concept movie was cool, I'm happy to get more Inucurry doodles.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think the third movie was pretty good and interesting, but I also feel like it was "unnecessary". I enjoyed my time with it, but I rarely think about it too much when I reminisce about the show.

SOLDIER

I don't know why people hate "Rebellion". I thought it did a good job of showing how thin the line between love/obsession/selfishness tend to be, which Homura crossed back and forth throughout the series. The film was a culmination of her desire.

Same reason people hate Sayaka for "getting in Homura's way."

Homura is my second favorite character in the series, but much of her fanbase is unbelievably insufferable in their inability to consider that maybe, just MAYBE, she is not a bastion of perfection and selflessness and that just maybe she would make poor decisions to fulfill her own selfish desires.

Now the current train of thought is

"Oh, she had a good, selfless reason for what she did. You'll see! She totally had everyone's interests in place!"

I thought Rebellion was great. Unsettling, disturbing, and the (post credits) ending was meant to show how far over the edge Homura went.

I have good hopes for this.

Rebellion is maybe one of my favorite sequels of all time, anime or otherwise. In terms of deconstructing how to add to a closed story and play with your expectations, it's utterly staggering how effective it is.

That said, it felt like a legitimate ending. I don't want another movie to retcon any conclusion away from the film, but on the otherhand, I trust that Urobutcher will only Urobutch if he has a good idea for it.

SOLDIER

Please let this new movie be a final finale to the series. No more. Please.

I'm hoping it's a new season, because the small plot points they've teased look like too many to fit into a movie.

A new season and then a finale movie would be a great way to cap off this franchise forever.

Maebe

I felt the same way.

Aikidoka

Didn't know people dislike Rebellion. I thought it was fantastic and really elevated the series. I can't really see how it breaks the themes of the TV show at all. If show's ending was all there was, it'd be far too happy and convenient which goes against everything great and interesting about the anime.

Anyways, I am excited for potential continuation of the series.

zoku88

Yea I'm not sure what people thought Homura was like considering she repeated the same month for 20 years.

SOLDIER

I love Rebellion for accomplishing three specific things:

1. It brought the girls together: it's fascinating how they managed to turn the shared desire of both the fans and the staff that worked on the series to see a scenario where the five girls are actually awesome BFFs and having happy non-suffering adventures together. They managed to make the sequences fun and uplifting while also having that traditional feeling of dread that everything would fall apart. I remember watching it in the theater and everyone did a collective "I see what you're doing there" chuckle when they showed Pokemonized Kyubey.

2. It brought to light Homura's dark side: I'm not referring to her last act heel turn, but rather the fact that the movie brought to light the dark implications of Homura's obsession. As I mentioned before, a large chunk of Homura's fanbase seems to interpret the character wrong, ignoring the darker intent of the character and her unhealthy drive to protect Madoka no matter what (including killing her best friend so that "she won't be sad"). The bit where Homura seemingly has Mami dead to rights, but pulls away her gun at the last moment spoke volumes about the kind of character she is.

3. It made Sayaka a hero: as my favorite character, this was worth the price of Rebellion alone, but it always bothered me how the original series ended with Sayaka accepting her fate, but never getting the chance to showcase her as a hero (despite it being canon that her final death was the result of her making a heroic sacrifice). Rebellion allowed us to see a "redeemed" Sayaka where she was fully confident of her abilities and fulfilling the role of Goddoka's most trusted knight....which is a brilliant parallel with Homura's descent into darkness. The movie symbolized the irony during the conversation between Sayaka and Homura, where the former is standing in front of a bright blue background behind her (Heaven) while the latter stands opposite with a flaming red background behind her (Hell). As the two central characters who have each been influenced by Madoka and are devoted to protecting her in different ways, this is why I'm hoping and anticipating that the sequel will focus on the two of them squaring off (in both a physical and ideological sense) in the third act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom