• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madoka Magica "Concept Movie" Short Film Announced, Possible Lead-In To Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebellion was 10/10. Also remains the only movie, anime or otherwise, that was so heavy and so emotionally disturbed me that I couldn't watch anything else for almost a week.

fhqwhgads

My only expectation is that they balance the characters better.
Kyouko might as well not even been in Rebellion from how little she did.

Razmos

Screw a second season of Madoka Magica, I want an animated adaptation of Kazumi Magica

tumblr_lw08jo06rd1qjpbu7o1_500.png

MagicaQuartet_KazumiMagica__V4.jpg
3508048-03.jpg

wonzo

Banned
really wanna see this concept movie as its the first thing shinbo's storyboarded since that ep of hidasketch x365

SOLDIER

So the teaser film was just that: a teaser of random scenes hinting at where they're going with the sequel. Here's a transcript from one watcher:

I just came back from MADOGATARI. The concept movie was amazing. Unfortunately, visitors are allowed to enter the theatre only once (the event in one-way course, you're not allowed to return to the previous room, and only 10-20 person are allowed to enter the theatre at once) and there're staffs in the room, so never think about taking photos let alone videos.

Anyway, the concept movie was around 4 minutes long; from my memory (which may be wrong)
- The concept movie starts with Madoka and Homura asking and answering "what is happiness?"
- The answer goes among the line of "Warm breakfast." "Family." "Someone calling my name." "Calling someone's name." (and handful few.)
- They concluded with "In the heaven, there is no such thing." "For god, there's no such thing." "That's why a lizard girl thought god is pitiful, and brought half of her to the world."
<This is where I cried like shit>

- The movie then show a huge statue falling from the sky.

- Someone 1 noted "There's a lot of cat here these days."
- Someone 2 noted "Looks like they're all dead cats."
- Someone 3 added "How do you tell apart dead cats?"

- Kyoko scene (said something, can't remember.)

- Sayaka read something in Witch Runes and mumbled "Why I can read these letters…?"
- Oktavia is shown after above scene, standing at the place where Madoka died after fighting Walpurgis (Ep. 10 TV)

- Hitomi talk about magic have to be kept secret otherwise it will lose its effect. (Completely unsure, but she talk something about magic.)
- Nagisa said "I feel a conspiracy!" while running.
- QB scene (can't remembered again.)

- Mami confronted with Homura and said something among the line of "You always hiding something from everyone."
- Homura "Are you going get in my way?"

- The movie concluded with showing the earth… with a witch covering 1/3 of it (Kriemhild?)
- Madoka "You don't have to hate anything anymore… I will help you."
- Madoka "Are you going to help me… fairy-san?"

My personal theories:

Sayaka appears to be tapping deeper/losing control with Oktavia, being able to read Witch Runes and transform. Having her appear on the site of where Walpurgisnacht killed Madoka strengthens my theory that Sayaka is being set up (metaphorically) as the next WN, and will fight Homura on the 30th day. This is ironic as fans speculated back in the day that she was WN (to the point that Shaft had to redraw WN's silhouette) and it works metaphorically too as Sayaka has always gotten in Homura's way in nearly every single timeline, and is set up to oppose her in this scenario as well.

The rest just sounds like the usual despair. Homura did everything wrong.

Unfortunately it sounds like they don't have a concrete date for the sequel yet. Clearly they're pressured by how highly regarded the original series was, and want to ensure the sequel meets expectations.

So some more info about this has surfaced from the January 2016 issue of the Newtype magazine.

There are multiple sources for this, but they all include a poster for a visual, and I don't know if that counts as a scan, but here's what is said. Some Madoka Rebellion spoilers below.

-New story of Madoka Magica is in the works.
-The ballet stuff from the concept movie is in the new story.
-Mami would be stronger with the "image of "goddess of battle"
-Hitomi and Nagisa take active part in the new story.
-New story will begin from the concept movie.
-No confirmation as to whether this is a new TV series or a movie.

Personally, I'm really interested in
the role that Mami is going to play in this new story. Outside of the spinoff manga, she hasn't gotten all that much focus since her role in the TV series was to serve as the introduction to magical girls and to get killed. And in Rebellion she was pretty much just a side character.

So her possibly getting a goddess form like Madoka and Homura interests me greatly because how in the world is that going to happen?!?

SOLDIER

https://mobile.twitter.com/butch_gen/status/682586460390703104

Translation: Happy New Year! I wish I could have made an annoucement before the end of the year, but I missed that deadline. I should be able to tell you something by the second week of February.

That's also when the Madogatori exhibit ends, so by all accounts February is when we'll get the official sequel confirmation.

I really hope it's a series and not a movie. There's a lot of character interactions both new and unexplored I want to see.

Particularly anything with Sayaka and Homura, as that remains one of the little-seen (and intriguing) combos.

which is why I was absolutely giddy with Rebellion setting them up as the main conflict, even though the concept teaser focused on Mami being Homura's opposition.

I'm taking bets Mami will take the first crack at Homura while Sayaka steps in to finish the fight after she loses.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I was cautiously optimistic about Rebellion and it blew me away. Can Shaft do it a second time though?

Erf. I was doubtful Rebellion could add anything meaningful to the series, and aside from
little cat fucks getting annihilated en masse
I'm still not sure it did. I feel like a sequel series would cross the line from skewering magical girl anime to just being one.

We'll see, I suppose.

Replicant

I thought Rebellion was fine. It's in-line with what Homura's true desire. I always felt that she got short-charged at the end of the TV series.

I remember the creator (Gen Urobachi) saying how he would have liked the show to have ended with the TV series but since it became such a big hit, Shaft has been milking the cash cow hard.

I remember the creator (Gen Urobachi) saying how he would have liked the show to have ended with the TV series but since it became such a big hit, Shaft has been milking the cash cow hard.

Ignoring the fact that Gen can't stop announcing that he wants more Madoka.

Anime was 2011
Movie was 2013
Concept movie in 2015

Sure that's milking the cash cow hard.

I loved the original anime, watched it 4 times and I don't usually re-watch anime. Never got around to watching the movies, but I saw that they're on Netflix so I'll watch them sooner or later.

Ignoring the fact that Gen can't stop announcing that he wants more Madoka.

Anime was 2011
Movie was 2013
Concept movie in 2015

Sure that's milking the cash cow hard.
Are you conveniently skipping the first two movie re-releases that were essentially the TV show with modified scenes?

Your fanboy is showing too hard. Unless you're blindly ignoring that large list and calling any viewpoint that doesn't agree with you as memes then lol...

Yes, I guess the connecton between Shaft and the manga series will stay forever unknown.

While in reality a series with 12 episodes + a new movie is like the standard of a successful anime.

dity

I'm a bit interested. I just hope it's a little less predictable than the first anime. I kind of thought the whole wish aspect let the series down.

Chariot

The Madoka fandom is mostly about fanwank and shipping the girls together, the don't care much about the plot anyway.
What still strikes me the weirdest are people who claim to be surprised that Madoka got dark. That's basically the selling point now and even when it first aired and one didn't know about Urobuchi - it really showed it's tone in the first seconds of the first episode.

Well... I mean, yeah, you don't have to read or watch anything if you don't want to.
As in: they are not necessary for the main series. You're not missing any content when you ignore them, opposed to tie-ins that are of actual relevance.

AniHawk

the anime was a huge surprise. it was kind of like avatar the last airbender where i thought i knew what i was getting into and instead i got something a whole lot better.

rebellion is a bit of an acquired taste. i don't know if i love it - the film seems pretty rushed to get to its conclusion, but i think it logically follows its characters from the end of the show.

i just don't know how much more can be added. more just seems... unnecessary. rebellion already was, but the continuation was sort of neat in a meta sense of how fandom wanted things to work out from the show (which i think ended perfectly).

AniHawk

3rd movies ending made no sense. Ridiculously out of character.

So whatever they do, i just hope he has a coherent ending this time.

homura is/was kind of nuts at the end of the show. she's gone through at least a decade of time loops and failed at each one. in the end she can't truly save madoka like she wanted, but madoka is happy so whatever.

homura isn't really happy and she's essentially suicidal at the end (which sucks and the only thing i can rationalize is that she was mostly putting on a brave face at the end of the show... which i believe ends on a perfect note). she creates a small paradise for herself but can't accept it, and tries to fight against it. the turning point is when madoka tells her she wouldn't want to abandon her family and friends - homura believes that madoka's choice at the end of the choice wasn't what she truly wanted and thus, she failed her friend.

so when madoka/law of the cycle shows up at the end, homura fucks everything up so that she can be in charge, and make sure everyone is 'happy' (especially herself). the second meaning from this ending seems to be a response to fans wanting a happy ending where certain characters get together, no one dies, and kyubey gets its super comeuppance. however while the show's ending is bittersweet and optimistic, the movie's ending is saccharine and pessimistic. i like the contrast between the show's actual positive ending and the film's superficially happy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom