• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia: Definitive Edition Vs. Original (Gameplay Comparison)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Mafia: Definitive Edition is a complete remake of the original 2002 game. Sporting new graphics, a revised story, and updated gameplay that puts it on par with Mafia III, this remake captures what made the original game such a standout experience, while also modernizing it for today's age. Developer Hanger 13 has been working on the Definitive Edition since 2017, and with the September release, this revisit to the original story will round out the current iteration of the Mafia trilogy, which recently saw remasters for both Mafia II and III.

In this gameplay video, we're taking a detailed look at how the Definitive Edition revitalizes the story of Tommy Angelo and his rise to power within the Salieri crime family in the city of Lost Heaven. It's a substantial rework of the game, and we show off a side-by-side with some of the opening's key scenes to display how the remake updated the original. Right from the beginning of our three hours of hands-on time with the game, it became apparent that this remake wasn't just a simple remaster. Many of the game's most iconic moments have been recreated to heighten the tension, and even give some of the supporting cast more time to shine.

Mafia: Definitive Edition will release on September 25 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Along with our hands-on impressions with the game, go check out our interview with game director Haden Blackman about how they remade the original game. Be sure to check back with GameSpot next month for our full review of the game.

Last edited:
Never played the original, but that video is a useful comparison. Gotta say, prefer the cutscene direction of the original, which is shocking. Graphics aside, the original has this cinematography style that's reminiscent of Scorsese movies. Longer takes, dolly shots, interesting camera angles, dramatic close ups and upshots. The new one's much closer to modern TV. Lots of OTS shot reverse shots, medium shots at eye level, evenly paced shot length, just less interesting over all. Even the car chase, which is more intense in the new one, is shot in a generic Hollywood fashion, whereas the old one had more unique nearly single take approach.

Tommy looks like a average joe in the og, but rat pack regular in the new one. Not sure if good.

Of course, all a matter of taste. The gameplay, without a doubt, looks miles ahead. I heard the original can be frustrating to play at points.

PresetError

Neophyte
Doesn't seem a top notch remake but looks good enough and the game itself is so amazing that whoever plays it for the first time will love it.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Great game even with the original graphics . I remember when I was playing it I really loved everything about it , the atmosphere and the soundtrack were just so good . I will play the remake and I hope it still has that charming gameplay

thelawof4

I don't really like the look of the remake. The original game had a very nostalgic look to it. It seems like every game looks nearly identical today.

eNT1TY

That was quite a bit better than what i was expecting but then again my expectations were rather low. Color me surprised. Loved the original.

Phase

Time to buy the original. I forgot all about this game and never played it.

Last edited:

thelawof4

They added a 'Noir Mode' to the Definitive Edtion. Reminds me of Ghost of Tsushima's 'Kurosawa Mode'. I have to admit this trailer is kind of neat but they should add some film-noise to the 'Noir Mode' too.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
2016 Ben Hur style remake. Terrible inappropriate music, bad voice acting, unnessesary rewrites. It's not a "Definitive Edition".

Gameplay based on Mafia 3 is alright.

Top Bottom