• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MTG angels only come in like 4 flavors:

Barely clothed (Serra Angel)
Bondage Gear (Avacyn)
Boob Armor (Gisela)
Lingerieangel (Resto Angel)

Demons are gendered?

MTG angels only come in like 4 flavors:

Barely clothed (Serra Angel)
Bondage Gear (Avacyn)
Boob Armor (Gisela)
Lingeriengel (Resto Angel)

Don't forget kneesock angel
36.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That goes with Bondage Gear Angel. I mean, I guess I can see Sorin making up a Bondage Goth Angel and saying "That's my fetish" because he's Sorin, but most of them have thigh-high boots.

Yes? Rakdos and company are dudes.

Even the demons who weren't born from black mana (Ob-Nixilis, Gix) are dudes.

Those are legendary there's plenty of generic demons though, always thought the generic demons didn't have genders.

Looking through Angel art this one is really underappreciated.

Little armor tot weigh down a flying creature and no leather boob armor even.

Toxi

Banned
If we're talking great angel artwork, Starlit Angel by Rebecca Guay is probably my favorite.

Though I do like how that angel artwork you posted has armor that's not the typical boring fantasy leather.

OnPoint

Given that Forsythe already explained what Forbidden is, that usually means they abandoned it entirely. Maro does hope he can use it, but I doubt they'd have said that right before a set came out with the mechanic in it.

I don't know that they'd bother using the exact mechanic (honestly sounded like it sucked). But the whole FORBIDDEN concept... especially given that story, it's something I feel like they're going to try to do considering they tried last time, and now they have a reason to do so with needing to go against Avacyn's edict. Perhaps with Sigarda even. I'd expect it in Eldrich Moon if they did use it, not Shadows. It could be the perfect way to bring out the BLACK EVIL side of the angels, and have it be the thing that weirdly saves the day. Who knows. I'm just spitballing.

Ashodin

fuck yes, this was the type of story I really enjoyed. Devoid of ASHAYA and OMG SO BROOD

Real people with real shit that happens to them

Here you go Angry Grimace

49VxuWT.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What do angels even do in their spare time?

Angry Grimace

You're suggesting that Nahiri is just Madara Uchiha.

I'm getting ideas for a deck usinh Angels in Standard if SoI has a decent amount of good ones, mainly because I still want my Archangels of Tithes to be good. That card is a house and has been shafted due to it's manacost.

OnPoint

To those wondering why Avacyn went red on the other side instead of black:

Magic seems to have been moving insanity, and the emotional state of it, into Red space, pretty consistently over the last few years. Look at cards like Tormenting Voice.

I think the key to remember here is that Avacyn isn't going evil, she's going crazy.

Also if Nahiri is white/red, it would make sense as well. She wouldn't be making Avacyn turn black.

I just realized the only major tournament that's gonna be streamed this weekend is a limited tournament. Damn. Watching limited is literally just watching people top deck against each other for 40-50 minutes. Because of the nature of the beast, limited is interesting only on a deeply personal perspective and makes for terrible television.

I'm also kind of sad this standard has seen very few major tournaments on twitch. As miserable as it is to play, it's actually interesting to watch.

Given that Forsythe already explained what Forbidden is, that usually means they abandoned it entirely. Maro does hope he can use it, but I doubt they'd have said that right before a set came out with the mechanic in it.

Right. There's actually nothing inherent about telling us what an unused mechanic does that keeps them from going back to it (Rosewater told us about the draw triggers that became Miracle about a decade beforehand) but they wouldn't actually reveal it for the first time if it was coming up. (That was the same panel where Forsythe basically told us that Wastes were coming so they were definitely thinking about the sets in this time period at the time.)

I have no idea why Magic still is so strict about the "no male angels and female demons" thing.

I think this is one of those brand things where once you've committed to it it's hard to back down. I don't think they want to have "there are male angels!!" be a specific plot point and it's awkward to walk it back otherwise.

If we're talking great angel artwork, Starlit Angel by Rebecca Guay is probably my favorite.

Also one of my all-time favorite "great art on crummy card" entries too.

Man, I love how we're seeing more old-school art in this set. Even if you're not a fan of the subject, it's just so nice to have some variety in style back.

I'm hoping that this expanded art staff means (among other things) that we can start getting more diversity within the high-level style of each set -- like, all the stuff we're seeing here is still clearly Innistrad-feeling despite varying a little in underlying approach. I believe they've got a separate art director working on each of the two annual blocks now which would hopefully give them enough bandwidth to consider this kind of stuff.

Ashodin

Just realized that there is a new art for Odric, and I hope he's one of the only humans who will help Sigarda.

So I present you my newest fake:

Jp3E49H.png

kirblar

I just realized the only major tournament that's gonna be streamed this weekend is a limited tournament. Damn. Watching limited is literally just watching people top deck against each other for 40-50 minutes. Because of the nature of the beast, limited is interesting only on a deeply personal perspective and makes for terrible television.

I'm also kind of sad this standard has seen very few major tournaments on twitch. As miserable as it is to play, it's actually interesting to watch.
Team Sealed is the best format in magic to play though. Games should be better than normal because deck quality will be higher- format's very, very not luck-based- it's the most consistent format for top players.

We know from the Duels screenshot that this is the WB uncommon tapped land:

This looks like it could be the RW one:

Tried to remember where these lands were first printed with old flavor, and then realized that they weren't printed. Vanilla enemy taplands have never been done before.

So technically this is finishing off the 16-years-old cycle from Invasion

Odric, Defender of the Parish 2WW
Legendary Creature- Human Soldier

First Strike

Whenever Odric is blocking and has no damage assigned to him, prevent all Damage that would be dealt to creatures you control this Combat.

"I will defend this parish from the divine with the same honor I defended it from the defiled. Avacyn may have turned, but her church has not."-Odric

2/4

Toxi

Banned
You know, I have to question the logic of not including Red in the mana cost of a guy named Angelfire.

Though considering Gabriel (and every other legend from Legends) is just someone's fanfic character made into a Magic card, maybe I shouldn't question the logic.

Toxi

Banned
I think this is one of those brand things where once you've committed to it it's hard to back down. I don't think they want to have "there are male angels!!" be a specific plot point and it's awkward to walk it back otherwise.
It doesn't seem that awkward to me. To my knowledge there's no real story relevance for all angels being female and all demons being male.

One could argue it's undermining a portrayal of strong women I guess.

I'm hoping that this expanded art staff means (among other things) that we can start getting more diversity within the high-level style of each set -- like, all the stuff we're seeing here is still clearly Innistrad-feeling despite varying a little in underlying approach. I believe they've got a separate art director working on each of the two annual blocks now which would hopefully give them enough bandwidth to consider this kind of stuff.
Hopefully.

The style guide problem has been around for a while. Like in original Ravnica you had every Izzet mage looking the same because everyone was following the style guide. Odyssey block had a bunch of samey-looking barbarians and minion pit fighters.

Oh, are we posting fave / weird angels? I'm in.

I've always been partial to this one (but yeah, still boob armour). I think the brown border helps, too.

137.jpg

Ashodin

Oh, are we posting fave / weird angels? I'm in.

I've always been partial to this one (but yeah, still boob armour). I think the brown border helps, too.

137.jpg

It's not boob armor - it's drawn to basically be boobs without nipples.

Aside:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/lunarchs-journal-2014-08-13

Relevant (two years ago!) story.

Apparently the fourth sister was Marcyz. I mean it doesn't explicitly say that's the fourth angel but there are damning things:

• She had dealings with demons (could have betrayed her)
  • It was ages ago, when Marcyz would be still alive with the other sisters

Actually, thinking about it, the story says they exsanguinated her.... soo that means she should have died there. Maybe not then.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Tried to remember where these lands were first printed with old flavor, and then realized that they weren't printed. Vanilla enemy taplands have never been done before.

So technically this is finishing off the 16-years-old cycle from Invasion

Somewhere along the line, Maro or Forsythe said they wanted a complete set of duals with generic names that they could easily insert into any beginner products, like Deckbuilder Toolkits.

kirblar

Somewhere along the line, Maro or Forsythe said they wanted a complete set of duals with generic names that they could easily insert into any beginner products, like Deckbuilder Toolkits.
They also want them in Standard 100% of the time.

They also want them in Standard 100% of the time.

I don't think they quite said that, but I wouldn't be surprised. Once you come down to it, it does make sense to have the same simple dual lands always be available. I'm not sure if they'd actually consistently print them in booster packs, or if they'd have them available in other products and say they're in Standard, like with the cards unique to the starter decks of M15 and Magic Origins.

Team Sealed is the best format in magic to play though. Games should be better than normal because deck quality will be higher- format's very, very not luck-based- it's the most consistent format for top players.

I had a blast playing it in Detroit this last August. Most limited is actually really great to play and pretty skill testing. And while, yes, team sealed has a bit better consistency and strategy in the decks, it's very difficult to find a narrative through-line in it still. It makes for slightly better television. But it still ultimately comes down to "I don't know this deck. I can never play this deck." Which is a large part of constructed magic's hook that makes it good TV.

The best thing that Wizards coverage has done to attempt to make limited watchable has been to feature a player on coverage starting with deck construction and follow their deck through the day. It creates the best narrative for the audience that they can. The only problem with that is that you have your coverage live and die with the chances of a single team, here. Any producer (worried about viewership numbers) would tell you that it's suicide to put your broadcast in someone else's hands. Luckily, WotC coverage isn't especially concerned about numbers.

Edit: On constructed, can anyone help me with an Abzan mana base? I have a deck that needs double green on turn three, double white on four, or double black on five. Often not all at once or even in the same game. I'm using fetches for the flexibility and using the Bloodstained Mire/Smoldering Marsh/Cinder Glade splash to make sure all my fetches can get maximum mana fixing. Has anyone built a mana base that can handle getting at least one double color consistently per game?

kirblar

I don't think they quite said that, but I wouldn't be surprised. Once you come down to it, it does make sense to have the same simple dual lands always be available. I'm not sure if they'd actually consistently print them in booster packs, or if they'd have them available in other products and say they're in Standard, like with the cards unique to the starter decks of M15 and Magic Origins.
They did.

With the switch to 3-blocks, they need more C/U manafixing baseline to make things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom