• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 2/2 DKA common undying flyer for 1UU is a pretty good fit in that deck. I'm not sold on the Delver if you are going to be running so few instants/sorceries. You really want Ponders+a bunch of cheap spells if you are going that route.

Dungeon Geists are also very good and can help clear the ground from a big blocker or tie up a titan. I think you do want some number of counterspells in your list because Elesh Norn is everywhere now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea that's a good question. For instance how much does a booster cost in MGO? I can get the physical ones for $4.00 CAN from my local shop.

Are cards on MtG:O cheaper? I like the real thing because there's a store I play 5 minutes away, but I'm planning on moving comewhat soon and this would be great.

Boosters are full MSRP with no bulk discount which scares off many, many people, but singles are something else entirely. Here is a list of one of the bigger bot families' buy/sell prices listed in tix (the defacto in-game currency. 1 tix = $1.00 USD). Some cards are quite cheap. Also, you only need one playset of cards to put 4x in every deck you might build.

So, you get "one" in a booster and can use 4?

You get one in a booster, you can use that one in every deck. You need to own 4x if you want to play 4x. It's still a far cry from ye olden days when I needed 30 counterspells for all the blue decks I built.

Sblargh

Banned
Boosters are full MSRP with no bulk discount which scares off many, many people, but singles are something else entirely. Here is a list of one of the bigger bot families' buy/sell prices listed in tix (the defacto in-game currency). Some cards are quite cheap. Also, you only need one playset of cards to put 4x in every deck you might build.

ultron87

No. You need to own 4 to use 4 in a specific deck.

But you can use 4 in every deck you ever build without having to swap cards among decks like you do with physical cards.

All my fun in MTGO has come from playing with the free "Planeswalker" cards you get when you initially make your account. There are enough cards in there to sate my random desire for a quick game. And it is certainly better than Duel of the Planeswalkers. And way faster.

Are cards on MtG:O cheaper?

Commons and Uncommons are much cheaper, especially if the set is being drafted. Rares are usually around 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the paper counterparts, and that's where the huge savings comes in. Mythics are often right in line or a bit more (for the junk Mythics) than paper.

The big thing to keep in mind is that the card economy is driven by drafters opening packs during their draft and selling back the singles to get more packs to draft with, and players looking to "cash out" via the available set redemptions. So you get a TON of rares, Mythics are always in demand (since they are the most rare and one each is needed per set redemption), and commons/uncommons are very abundant.

Singles prices can also be very swingy depending on the current "winning" decks. Constructed, especially Standard , Block, and Modern, isn't exactly the land of deckbuilder innovation. Most players want a pile of 75 that is proven that they can win with. Unlike in paper, they don't adapt decks to the metagame and just swap decks when something falls out of favor.

Singles prices can also be very swingy depending on the current "winning" decks.

No shit. After a long hiatus, I logged back on to find that my playset of Natural Orders vastly increased in value. Since I play almost exclusively EDH now, I turned them (plus a few others) into a 1x EDH playset of duals and fetches, which have much more play value for me now.

Boosters are full MSRP with no bulk discount which scares off many

This is true, but as you said, if you want specific cards you don't buy boosters. Boosters on MODO are specifically for drafting or for selling back to bots for event tickets (MTGO spacebucks, essentially), which can be used to buy singles or draft again.

And singles really are cheap. I got some Huntsmasters this morning for 16 each, and that's because I was impatient and wanted to play with them in a Birthing Pod deck. Had I waited until Saturday I can easily see that being 13-14.

No shit. After a long hiatus, I logged back on to find that my playset of Natural Orders vastly increased in value. Since I play almost exclusively EDH now, I turned them (plus a few others) into a 1x EDH playset of dual lands, which have much more play value for me now.

This was a permanent price change after Conflux was released. NO's are not in high supply on MODO, in fact anything in Visions/Mirage/Weatherlight that is a rare and classic/EDH playable is holy cow expensive online (40 Null Rods lolz)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, so in standard I can run MM? NICE.

I'll try 4 gutshots and 4 ponders. See how that works. I don't like delver of secrets right now, but I'll try them too. Invisible stalkers fits the illusion theme I got going and is still a pretty useful card, IMO.

The tix/bot thing is weird as shit. The online idea is great, but I feel like I stepped back into 2000 every time I load that client up.

OnPoint

The Delver should work great for you, especially now that you're upping your instant/sorcery count.

How does the Stalker fit? He's a human rogue.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
11.jpg

A couple copies of the card came in the mail.

Can't wait to use it.

This was a permanent price change after Conflux was released. NO's are not in high supply on MODO, in fact anything in Visions/Mirage/Weatherlight that is a rare and classic/EDH playable is holy cow expensive online (40 Null Rods lolz)

I'm sure that they're going to stay expensive since it's a crazy awesome card. I think I got them for about 4 tix a piece during the Visions release. That said, I'd still rather have the lands. In my mind it rectifies the mistake of not snapping up duals for about $5 each at regionals in '97. I've never actually owned a paper dual.

I traded for a German Devastating Dreams last night. The card basically reads "win on resolution" in Legacy Aggro Loam, and no one knows what it does anyway because it's old and weird.

Getting that version of the card was explicitly so I could have the pleasure in verbally explaining how my opponent just lost the game. It's right up there with pointing a Null Rod at the guy with all artifact lands and watching a Reanimator player try to do anything when you have a Scavenging Ooze and two forests untapped. I'm such a jerk.

y2dvd

4 Gutshot is overkill. 1 is good for those pesky 1 defense ceatures and sideboard another or two if they have several more 1 defense creatures.

Illusions is a pretty aggro deck. Vapor Snag lets you clear the board and get dmg through. Invisible Stalker is only good with equipments. If it's because of evasiveness, trust me, a T2 flipped Delver is much more of a pain to deal with. I might also run a Negate in there since you only got 3 mana leaks going. Protect your overlord from that kill card!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea if you aren't sticking equipment in there then ditching the stalkers is a good idea.

Delver is quite possible the best 1 drop creature in the entire game right now.

ultron87

I would've played in that Cockatrice thing we tried to get off the ground awhile ago, but the night that was picked just didn't work for me at all.

WanderingWind

Yeah, it was a Saturday. I mean, I like Magic. It's fun. But not as fun as drinking with friends/going on dates with the missus. I think a weekday, or Sunday would be fairly smart.

We need a consensus though.

Cockatrice is sort of like Magic Workstation, a simulated non-licensed play environment without real rules enforcement.

Those environments are good ( and certainly cheap!) but I can't play them except for the random goldfishing. Rules enforcement and F2/F6 are just too important for me, not to mention the higher quality competition that comes when playing for stakes.

Cockatrice is sort of like Magic Workstation, a simulated non-licensed play environment without real rules enforcement.

Those environments are good ( and certainly cheap!) but I can't play them except for the random goldfishing. Rules enforcement and F2/F6 are just too important for me, not to mention the higher quality competition that comes when playing for stakes.

Yeah, if I'm playing online it's MTGO or bust for me. Too many bad Apprentice flashbacks.

An-Det

I'd be up for a GAF draft. I have MTGO, though I'll use whatever. Agreed on the poor timing of the previous Saturday one. It can work, but Saturdays are awkward for that, between events like ptq's and actual life stuff.

WanderingWind

I'd be up for a GAF draft. I have MTGO, though I'll use whatever. Agreed on the poor timing of the previous Saturday one. It can work, but Saturdays are awkward for that, between events like ptq's and actual life stuff.

Let's do this. How does next Thursday work for people? Say, 9EST/6PST?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, eBay'ing myself up an Icy Manipulator/Royal Assassin deck. Thoughts?

4 Royal Assassin
4 Rathi Trapper
4 Tideforce Elemental
4 Merfolk Looter
4 Mind Control
1 Rune-Scarred Demon

4 Icy Manipulator
4 Assassinate
4 Rise from the Grave
4 Dimir Signet

4 Terramorphic Expanse
10 Swamp
9 Island

(Also, WW, let me know if you know for sure that any of these cards are in the stuff you sent me. I won't be paying for the stuff until my funds from PayPal hit my bank account anyway, so there's time. :lol)

But yeah, I've always wanted to use Icy in a deck, since back when I played in the 90's, they were prohibitively expensive (for me at least), and I think this deck looks pretty decent.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You don't have to get rid of cards to join...I mean, I am, but I'm a MTG artard.

EDIT: Okay, the bots are goddamn ridiculous
Supernova has the best deals but they don't buy or sell uncommons/commons.

I use the Marlon bots and CardBots for everything i can't find on Supernova.

Kyuur

You don't have to get rid of cards to join...I mean, I am, but I'm a MTG artard.

EDIT: Okay, the bots are goddamn ridiculous

I use cardbot for everything. I just find it easier to keep trading with one particular bot so that you only have credit with one.

Got second place in a Dark Ascension draft the other night! Best I've done in draft, so I was quite proud of myself. 6 packs for $12. :)

Edit:

Let's do this. How does next Thursday work for people? Say, 9EST/6PST?

I'd love to be in on this. :)

y2dvd

So a friend of mines who had an available box decides to put some packs up to use as prizes for a constructed tourny amongst us. Pretty much we buy one pack for $3.25 and it goes into the pot. Top 3 gets prizes.

I ended up winning it with tokens deck and won 4 packs.
1st pack had crap.
2nd pack had turd and an immerwolf.
3rd pack had a dungeon Geist.
The last pack outta the entire box was probably the best pack I've opened. I saw it in the order of Lingering Souls, Spirit captian, Vamp captain, and Sorin!

Best $3.25 I spent. :D

So, eBay'ing myself up an Icy Manipulator/Royal Assassin deck. Thoughts?

4 Royal Assassin
4 Rathi Trapper
4 Tideforce Elemental
4 Merfolk Looter
4 Mind Control
1 Rune-Scarred Demon

4 Icy Manipulator
4 Assassinate
4 Rise from the Grave
4 Dimir Signet

4 Terramorphic Expanse
10 Swamp
9 Island

(Also, WW, let me know if you know for sure that any of these cards are in the stuff you sent me. I won't be paying for the stuff until my funds from PayPal hit my bank account anyway, so there's time. :lol)

But yeah, I've always wanted to use Icy in a deck, since back when I played in the 90's, they were prohibitively expensive (for me at least), and I think this deck looks pretty decent.

Is this for casual? What do you do against creatureless decks?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is this for casual? What do you do against creatureless decks?

Yeah, just for casual. None of my friends play creatureless decks. :lol

And hell, since I took out the Rune-Scarred Demon, the whole thing minus lands only cost me $11.22 shipped from Starcity. Way less than I thought.

WanderingWind

Alright, this is the deck I've played with all night. Sounds dumb, but I've won every match, but I really feel like I've gotten a bit lucky. It's way too slow burning for a aggro deck, and with illusions it needs to be aggro. Those Adaptive Automatons are AMAZING in this thing, as are the Lords and Vapor Snags.

4 Adaptive Automaton
2 Delver of Secrets
1 Invisible Stalker
4 Lord of the Unreal
3 Mindshrieker
4 Phantasmal Bear
4 Phantasmal Dragon
4 Ponder

4 Vapor Snag
4 Gut Shot
4 Mana Leak

19 Island
3 Mountain

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Also, check out supernovabots.com for a nice bot chain. Prices are pretty fair and it's super convenient being able to check prices from a website.

WanderingWind

Also, check out supernovabots.com for a nice bot chain. Prices are pretty fair and it's super convenient being able to check prices from a website.

Man, I just basically rebuilt my entire prized collection for 20 tickets. It was awesome. So much cheaper than IRL. Of course, that excludes boosters in bulk. Those are a ripoff.

I also got those Lords of the Unreal. Many, many thanks man!

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Man, I just basically rebuilt my entire prized collection for 20 tickets. It was awesome. So much cheaper than IRL. Of course, that excludes boosters in bulk. Those are a ripoff.

No problem. Gonna see if my LGS is drafting today or doing Game Day. If it's Game Day, I'll be on MODO.

I've been trying to tell people I know that play Magic, but don't have a good play group this shit for a decade, with absolutely no success. Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

WanderingWind

I've been trying to tell people I know that play Magic, but don't have a good play group this shit for a decade, with absolutely no success. Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

Probably because it's extremely counterintuitive. I mean it has bots, unofficial space bucks, two different spots for trades and sales. The deck builder works when it wants to. They inexplicably give you starter card that you can't use in normal decks, can't get rid of and stack with usable cards of the same name making it infuriating to try to add certain staples.

But. It's cheap, always open for trades and sales, and the game queues are short as heck. It saves space, lets you build multiple decks with the same cards and has a fairly decent community.

y2dvd

So a friend and I came across an interesting scenario. I attack with Young Wolf, he blocks with Perilous Myr. He wants to assign his 2 dmg to my undying Young Wolf, but my agrument is that they both hit the graveyard, thus making the wolf an invalid target. The wolf then comes back into the battlefield.

Thoughts?

Haly

So a friend and I came across an interesting scenario. I attack with Young Wolf, he blocks with Perilous Myr. He wants to assign his 2 dmg to my undying Young Wolf, but my agrument is that they both hit the graveyard, thus making the wolf an invalid target. The wolf then comes back into the battlefield.

Thoughts?
I think the triggers go on the stack at the same time, although I'm not sure in which order they are resolved.

If they are resolved simultaneously, then he can't target your undying wolf because it doesn't exist on the field until its undying trigger resolves.

Lucario

Thoughts?

Active player places ability on the stack first, so

Young wolf's ability goes on stack (undying)
Perilous myr's ability goes on stack
Perilous myr's ability resolves
Undying resolves

Haly

So if y2dvd attacks with Young Wolf and his friend blocks with the Myr, the Wolf won't die, but if his friend attacks with the Myr and y2dvd blocks with the wolf, it will?

Weird.

Wait wait wait. Targets are chosen at the time of triggering. It never resolves because it doesn't have legal target, regardless of which order they're placed on the stack.

1. Young Wolf is blocked by Perilous Myr.
2. They both deal lethal damage to each other
3. SBA sends them both into the graveyard.
4. Young Wolf's Undying triggers and goes onto the stack
5. Perilous Myr's death effect triggers and goes onto the stack, but there are no legal targets (unless you had another creature), so it gets taken off the stack.
6. Young Wolf's Undying resolves.

Lucario

So if y2dvd attacks with Young Wolf and his friend blocks with the Myr, the Wolf won't die, but if his friend attacks with the Myr and y2dvd blocks with the wolf, it will?

Weird.

Wait wait wait. Targets are chosen at the time of triggering. It never resolves because it doesn't get a legal target, regardless of which order they're placed on the stack.

Correct. Attacking in with the Myr would cause Young Wolf's undying trigger to resolve first; it's silly, but it's really the only way to figure out how this sort of thing works. Active player's abilities always go on the stack first.

EDIT: Wait, no, wrong, targets are chosen when the ability trigger happens. Whoops. Wolf isn't gonna die no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom