• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm somehow ok with Gideon. He's a pain for sure but I love the idea of aggro decks being able to transform into midrange postboard.
If we still had efficient burn and hero's downfall or if they had just printed pithing needle he'd be much less of an issue.

I want PWs on the powerlevel of gideon but only if the rest of the format can keep up.

I kind of hope rather than just tuning crew costs and power "next time" they just bin vehicles forever, never returning to the mechanic.

I'm looking beyond the horizon to where "fixed" vehicles are a thing that hypothetically exists, and I still can't see why they would exist, outside of someone in design having liked Hot Wheels too much growing up.

They really add nothing in exchange for all the balance problems and declaration/resolution kerfuffles. They just live in this sort of shite conceptual space where they're either less-interactive artifact creatures or equipments with a "Tap X Creatures" equip cost. They aren't filling any deck-building need or introducing any mechanical depth in exchange for the increase in game complexity they bring.

Isn't it weird all the pushed for constructed vehicles are airborne?

Harvester, Copter, Skysovereign and Heart of Kiran are well above the curve of the rest. The only one that comes close is fleetwheel cruiser.

traveler

Not Wario
I kind of wish they just adjusted the mechanic on the whole. If summoning sick creatures couldn't crew vehicles, I'd be fine with them tuning them at smuggler's copter level. Since aggro decks are usually going to have a play each turn, the crew cost is effectively invalidated by the fact that you can use a creature you wouldn't otherwise have a use for- Gideon tokens/your actual creatures can't attack on etb and, outside the mirror, you're not interested in blocking.

The combination of vehicles that can be crewed by non-haste guys and a pushed aggro pw in Gideon have just completely invalidated the traditional weapon against aggro- sweepers. Fumigate looks so awful when your opponents threats are Heart of Kiran, Gideon, and Scrapheap Scrounger when it would have actually been a decent sweeper in previous standard environments.

Crocodile

So I watched a few matches and looked at the PT results. Is it fair to say the PT was devoid of surprise? That all the cards and strategies every one thought were good did indeed turn out to be good and as good as they expected? Crazy Cat Lady pretty much got hated out but instead we have Vehicles running all over the format. Shrug I guess.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I kind of wish they just adjusted the mechanic on the whole. If summoning sick creatures couldn't crew vehicles, I'd be fine with them tuning them at smuggler's copter level. Since aggro decks are usually going to have a play each turn, the crew cost is effectively invalidated by the fact that you can use a creature you wouldn't otherwise have a use for- Gideon tokens/your actual creatures can't attack on etb and, outside the mirror, you're not interested in blocking.

The combination of vehicles that can be crewed by non-haste guys and a pushed aggro pw in Gideon have just completely invalidated the traditional weapon against aggro- sweepers. Fumigate looks so awful when your opponents threats are Heart of Kiran, Gideon, and Scrapheap Scrounger when it would have actually been a decent sweeper in previous standard environments.

Smart of WotC to move to 5 cmc wraths and then completely invalidate wraths.

Instant speed wrath would also have worked.

Anyway tried another oversized alter. This time I did a cut out and while I prefer it, I need better tools and to work more precise.
dA485V6.jpg
I also glued to the back of an island by accident instead of the front.

Rosewater made a post on Blogatog recently talking about how they don't want to print cards that get rid of emblems because your strategy should be to deal with the planeswalker before they make the emblem, which in general I totally agree with... but it points to exactly what's wrong with Gideon.

It's probably worth noting that emblems were created to keep people from forgetting 4 mana elspeth's ultimate (that elspeth got errata after emblems were added). It's supposed to be an indefinite un-interactible effect. Its supposed to be a Dilu Horse effect, but people forgetting about lasting effects is an issue.

OnPoint

I don't really have a problem with Gideon's emblem, in all honesty.

I don't really have a problem with Gideon in general.

Ozigizo

Instant speed wrath would also have worked.

Anyway tried another oversized alter. This time I did a cut out and while I prefer it, I need better tools and to work more precise.

I also glued to the back of an island by accident instead of the front.

The foil makes it harder to cut the card. But you could go back over the edges with a hobby knife.

That's awesome though. Cool idea.

The foil makes it harder to cut the card. But you could go back over the edges with a hobby knife.

That's awesome though. Cool idea.
Thanks but not my idea. I got lazy here because of the bad cuts otherwise I would have gone over the edges with sanding paper.

Gonna practice a bit before trying to make a full art Nekusar through foil peeling and maybe an extended art Derevi for a friends birthday present.

Smart of WotC to move to 5 cmc wraths and then completely invalidate wraths.

I don't really put these in the same boat. Moving to 5 mana wraths on its own is a good thing. Not paying attention to whether they are able to actually beat the threats in the meta is very much not.

bigkrev

I don't really put these in the same boat. Moving to 5 mana wraths on its own is a good thing. Not paying attention to whether they are able to actually beat the threats in the meta is very much not.

Yeah this format needs an instant speed wraith at 6 mana

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is an emblem considered a permanent? Like could Ulamog etb and exile it?
Nope. It's an object in the command zone.

The reason you can't interact with it is simply because there isn't a card or effect that says you can.

OnPoint

http://www.themorejewknow.com/uploads/1/2/0/9/12094351/6224856_orig.gif[/IMG

Time for boardwipe egipt style.[/QUOTE]

Would be cool if they did a cycle based on the biblical plagues.

White - Death of First Born Sons
Blue - Frogs
Black - Diseased Livestock
Red - Firey Hail
Green - Locusts

Yeef

I would have liked to see a half-austere command printed in this standard.

3WW
Sorcery
Destroy all artifacts and all creatures with converted mana cost 3 or less.

ElyrionX

So I watched a few matches and looked at the PT results. Is it fair to say the PT was devoid of surprise? That all the cards and strategies every one thought were good did indeed turn out to be good and as good as they expected? Crazy Cat Lady pretty much got hated out but instead we have Vehicles running all over the format. Shrug I guess.

Ummm. This is being liberal with the truth. Many people here were expecting the Cat deck to run rampant but it clearly did not happen. Lots of crow to be eaten.

Would be cool if they did a cycle based on the biblical plagues.

White - Death of First Born Sons
Blue - Frogs
Black - Diseased Livestock
Red - Firey Hail
Green - Locusts
I could see it being a cycle of Wraths, though maybe Trial would be better to fit with the flavor?

Like, here's a halfbaked shot at all of them:

Wrath of Pharoah-3WW

Each Player Sacrifices a non-land Permanent of each type with the highest Converted Mana Cost. Repeat this process for each type of non-standard permanent.

Wrath of Locusts-3GG

Each Player Sacrifices all lands they control,then may search their library for up to the same number of lands and put them into play tapped.

Wrath of Fire-3RR
Wrath of Fire deals 3 Damage to each creature and PlanesWalker. Whenever a permanent dealt damage this way would die, Wow deals 2 Damage to that creature's controller.

Wrath of Frogs-3UU

All creatures become 0/2 Frog Creatures with "Whenever this creature would become the target of an instant or sorcery this turn, sacrifice it" until end of turn.

Wrath of Plague- 3BB
All creatures get - 4/-4 Until end of turn. Whenever a creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I could see it being a cycle of Wraths, though maybe Trial would be better to fit with the flavor?

Like, here's a halfbaked shot at all of them:

Wrath of Pharoah-3WW

Each Player Sacrifices a non-land Permanent of each type with the highest Converted Mana Cost. Repeat this process for each type of non-standard permanent.

SUUx9ti.gif

Wrath of Locusts-3GG

Each Player Sacrifices all lands they control,then may search their library for up to the same number of lands and put them into play tapped.

locust1.jpg

Wrath of Fire-3RR
Wrath of Fire deals 3 Damage to each creature and PlanesWalker. Whenever a permanent dealt damage this way would die, Wow deals 2 Damage to that creature's controller.

6224856_orig.gif

Wrath of Frogs-3UU

All creatures become 0/2 Frog Creatures with "Whenever this creature would become the target of an instant or sorcery this turn, sacrifice it" until end of turn.

poe-the-frogs.gif

Wrath of Plague- 3BB
All creatures get - 4/-4 Until end of turn. Whenever a creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Murrain02.1GIF.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZy6XilXDZQ

traveler

Not Wario
Ummm. This is being liberal with the truth. Many people here were expecting the Cat deck to run rampant but it clearly did not happen. Lots of crow to be eaten.

The Cat deck is the reason the top 8 is what it is. And its also the next 8 decks below it. Regardless of whether or not it dominated, it clearly warped the meta and will likely continue to so long as it is legal.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

This post.

You can't always take results at face value.

The obvious example is that if your Top 8 are eight different Aggro decks, your first inclination might be to ban keystone Aggro cards. However, if you look at the tournament registration and notice that 75% of the decks outside of the Top 8 were variations on the same Combo deck that loses to Aggro, that tells a very different story: it isn't Aggro that's killing your variety, it's that Combo deck.

Basically, even if a deck has one near-unwinnable match-up, if all of its other match-ups are one-sided in the other direction it's going to become a "gatekeeper" deck and warp the play pattern around it to an absurd degree.

I'm not saying Copycat has or will do that, just that you shouldn't use tournament results by themselves as gospel for competitive balancing. You can't just throw them into a spreadsheet and have it spit out a banlist, you have to dig deeper and take a holistic look at the competitive meta.

ElyrionX

LOL guys. Warping the meta around it is totally not the same as flatout dominating the meta (like how JTMS and Eldrazis dominated in the past). People were saying the deck is unbeatable but not only is it very beatable, it made no appearances in T8 and just one appearance in T32 despite showing up in force as the most played deck. You've got results from the SCG event and the PT now so what else is there even to argue about?

So now that aggro takes out combo, midrange will rise to take out aggro and you have the classic rock-paper-scissors balance again.

I wasn't on any side of this debate right from the start because I don't give a rats ass about Standard but just thought it's interesting how so many people have overreacted again.

OnPoint

There were quite a few posts before the set release that said a severe warp was highly likely and that decks might come up to combat Saheli combo.

If you want to make the argument that format warping isn't the same as domination, I'd listen. But I'm still not down with either and still hope they ban the cat.

Tunoku

What's going to be really interesting to see if there is a cat deck out there that can be adjusted to handle both BG and Mardu reasonably well. Aether Meltdown and Ishkanah come to mind as possible solutions. Despite the way the format looks right now I'm still looking forward to the next couple of GPs coming out way in February.

Crocodile

People said that the day after it was spoiled. Were they still saying that weeks after the fact? I mean it seems pretty clear to me that Crazy Cat Lady still warped the format. I'm just saying, as far as I can tell, there weren't any "OMG THAT CARD/STRATEGY IS GOOD?" revelations. You often get at least one of those each Pro-Tour. Mardu Vehicles is an old deck with some new cards we all knew were going to be good. That it checks Cat Lady is impressive but not something that felt like it came out of nowhere.

I don't know if anyone predicted actual results for the PT, after Kaladesh with Marvel and Eldritch Moon with Bant Company I just don't trust pros to figure it out anymore.

Grimace definitely called decks performing well that go under the combo.
What's going to be really interesting to see if there is a cat deck out there that can be adjusted to handle both BG and Mardu reasonably well. Aether Meltdown and Ishkanah come to mind as possible solutions. Despite the way the format looks right now I'm still looking forward to the next couple of GPs coming out way in February.

the 4c Saheeli variants have access to Natural State and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of them in sideboards going forward.

OnPoint

I was certainly in the camp that believed the pros would crack the perfect Saheeli combo formula. I'll admit I was wrong. Still think the combo warps things in an unhealthy manner and is not fun to play against.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't know if anyone predicted actual results for the PT, after Kaladesh with Marvel and Eldritch Moon with Bant Company I just don't trust pros to figure it out anymore.

Grimace definitely called decks performing well that go under the combo.

the 4c Saheeli variants have access to Natural State and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of them in sideboards going forward.

Everyone assumed pros were wrong about those two decks at the PT but eventually they became the best decks in the format after intially being hated out.

duxstar

The combo is busted as hell and warps the meta game. I laugh because the combo is 3 colors and can adjust to what the meta actually becomes. It has access to the best sideboard cards to beat vehicles if it wants (Release the Gremlins, Fragmentize, Stasis Snare, Fumigate, Declaration in Stone). Just most of the people that showed up with the combo weren't prepared for vehicles, and were probably regulare people that didn't test with a team.

Everyone assumed pros were wrong about those two decks at the PT but eventually they became the best decks in the format after intially being hated out.
That's kinda my point Pro's at PT Eldritch Moon mostly ran with Turbo Emrakul variants and PT Kaladesh was a case of the durdliest shit decks imaginable. They played this card...
They were wrong about those decks. Bant Company IIRC was mostly ran by the middling players, with LSV the only high profile Pro playing the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom