• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some advice for GP Vancouver. Since I live nearby, I'll definitely be going, but I've never played Modern competitively or even much at all before. Everyone recommends play what you're comfortable over what's best, but I'm pretty much equally uncomfortable with everything. I will say I generally prefer playing proactive gameplans over reactive, but Grixis Control does look pretty appealing.

Assuming budget/cards isn't an issue, what deck would you recommend I practice over the next two weeks to take, given that I'll be fairly new to the format and the current metagame? (Which seems to be pretty burn/spell combo heavy?) Decks I've been actively looking at and watching replays from are Ad Nauseum, Grixis Control, Souls Sisters, and Hatebears, but I'm open to any proposal if you think there's an especially good choice atm. Merfolk looks appealing as well, but the deck seemed to be a clear tier 2/3 choice.

Ooh baby, my Hate bears soul is tingling. It's tier 2/3 though right now, in fact all of those are minus Grixis Control.

If we're talking Green White Hatebears, the most expensive cards in the deck right now are Vial/Hierarch/Canopy. I'm currently running a Coco Variant that I've been able to pilot to general Sucess. I'm a big proponent of Coco over Vial, because the deck needs a way to get ahead of Midrange/Control. Tron matchup is a pain in the ass, though my lack of Gaddock Teeg isn't helping.

Green White Hatebears:
3 Brushland
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Plains
3 Razorverge Thicket
1 Seagate Wreckage
2 Stirring Wildwood
3 Temple Garden
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Birds of Paradise
4 Path to Exile
1 Dromoka's Command
4 Leonin Arbiter
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Scavenging Ooze
2 Thalia, GoT
4 Voice of Resurgence
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Loxodon Smiter
2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
4 Collected Company

SIDEBOARD:
1 Dromoka's Command
2 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Selfless Spirit
2 Spellskite
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Worship
1 Fracturing Gust

Granted, I'm fully aware that some of my choices are completely unorthodox, but they've worked. Thalia is a house when dropped on Turn 2, buying the deck a turn+ against Tron.

Nice to meet you. Do you already have a group of friends to play with? Advice we give will largely depend on your play group.

Thanks for the welcome (and to the others, as well! :) )

I'm not sure about a play group as of yet. I've only really had three games of Paper Magic so far... Going to my FLGS tonight for some Necromunda, but I'm hoping to get a game in as well, and I'm aiming to start attending FNM there, too.

I'll see how it goes?

Ashodin

ayyyy welcome back to the fold, Inventor's Apprentice. You and the goggles go hard.

mdpQBAB.gif

a turn 2 3/5 or a 4/5 or a 4/4 seems legit

Tunoku

Man, I kinda want to play an aggressive deck again. Problem is, I only have 1 copy of Heart of Kiran, and the way Standard looks like now the only viable aggressive strategies have to involve the vehicle. (I don't want to play R/G Energy aggro)

Supast4r

Looking for some advice for GP Vancouver. Since I live nearby, I'll definitely be going, but I've never played Modern competitively or even much at all before. Everyone recommends play what you're comfortable over what's best, but I'm pretty much equally uncomfortable with everything. I will say I generally prefer playing proactive gameplans over reactive, but Grixis Control does look pretty appealing.

Assuming budget/cards isn't an issue, what deck would you recommend I practice over the next two weeks to take, given that I'll be fairly new to the format and the current metagame? (Which seems to be pretty burn/spell combo heavy?) Decks I've been actively looking at and watching replays from are Ad Nauseum, Grixis Control, Souls Sisters, and Hatebears, but I'm open to any proposal if you think there's an especially good choice atm. Merfolk looks appealing as well, but the deck seemed to be a clear tier 2/3 choice.
I play grixis Jace and I love it.

Supast4r

The Cat deck is the reason the top 8 is what it is. And its also the next 8 decks below it. Regardless of whether or not it dominated, it clearly warped the meta and will likely continue to so long as it is legal.
GB and Marcy vechiles are just as format warping if not more so. You just hate the combo and want it banned despite the fact that the other two decks were top tier before the bannings.

red13th

I hope they ban nothing, Standard remains the shithole it has been for years, people stop playing and so they don't go bankrupt they have to abolish the reserve list and reprint duals. Hah!
Not serious btw.

El Topo

I wonder how many of the issues are simply the result of the evolution of the game, e.g. of deck building and meta in general.

Bandini

I wouldn't play Ad Nauseum without having a lot of experience with it. Soul Sisters is very mediocre. Merfolk is cool but like you said, T2/T3. Grixis Control seems fine.

If I had to pick a deck right now, I'd probably go with Affinity or the Sram/Puresteel Paladin deck. Just be prepared to sideboard in Enchantment destruction immediately after G1 against any deck playing W because Stony Silence will ruin your day.

I actually think Jeskai Nahiri is pretty good right now, it has the tools to survive against aggressive decks and can grind against midrange. I'd consider mainboarding Anger of the Gods and Timely Reinforcements if you go that route.

Bant Eldrazi and Valakut are also good choices, imo.

I'm currently playing Eldrazi Hatebears on MTGO and I like it a lot but has some real bad matchups. Still, it's a really fun deck once you start getting into play lines that see you do stuff like Vial in Arbiter after your opponent cracks a fetch, then Ghost Quartering their other lands. Or exiling a card with Flickerwisp or Tidehollow Sculler then putting that card into the graveyard with Wasteland Strangler so they never get it back. Or just flickering your Thought-Knot with Displacer repeatedly and ripping apart the opponent's hand. Good stuff.

bigkrev

If you aren't familiar with the format, I would play a combo deck that 100% ignores interacting with my opponent. Maybe try the Puresteel Paladin Cheerios deck?

Thanks for the welcome (and to the others, as well! :) )

I'm not sure about a play group as of yet. I've only really had three games of Paper Magic so far... Going to my FLGS tonight for some Necromunda, but I'm hoping to get a game in as well, and I'm aiming to start attending FNM there, too.

I'll see how it goes?

In that case, see how serious the players are at your store. If they all suck (more likely than it sounds), then you could probably get away with going cheap and casual for your deck.

GB and Marcy vechiles are just as format warping if not more so. You just hate the combo and want it banned despite the fact that the other two decks were top tier before the bannings.

Top tier is not the same as broken. Mardu Vehicles and GB have decks that are good against them, but those decks completely fold to Copycat, and thus they don't get played. I can guarantee that we'd have seen more variety in the Pro Tour's top 8 if Copycat wasn't around.

You can see a lot of the same reasoning in the Skullclamp ban announcement.

Can somebody tell me why it's called "cheerios"?

There's a tradition in Magic that combo decks get named after breakfast foods. Both the original Cheerios deck and the current versions based around Puresteel Paladin and Sram are based around playing lots and lots of 0-mana permanents, then picking them back up and playing them again, so deck got the name "Cheeri0s."

OnPoint

There's a tradition in Magic that combo decks get named after breakfast foods. Both the original Cheerios deck and the current versions based around Puresteel Paladin and Sram are based around playing lots and lots of 0-mana permanents, then picking them back up and playing them again, so deck got the name "Cheeri0s."

What besides "Oops all spells" is named after breakfast?

Plus all of the Eggs variants, despite being named after actual "egg" cards, also naturally fell into the breakfast naming convention. There's also something called Cephalid Breakfast.

Obviously not every combo deck in Magic has a breakfast name (most Storm variants, for example, do not).

Fruity Pebbles (Enduring Renewal-Goblin Bombardment-Shield Sphere) and Trix (Delusions-Donate) are the classic examples from the late 90s

Yeah, Fruity Pebbles was the original. There's also Cocoa Pebbles (Necro, other black) along with Wheaties (Survival of the Fittest) as variants of Fruity Pebbles.

Ooccoo

I wonder how BW control (my deck) is right now. Haven't had time to play much lately though. I feel like it has a shot against most of the field even if I wish there was a one CMC discard spell like Duress. edit: Fatal Push seems like a great addition and Yaheeni's Expertise into Liliana probably wrecks a lot of decks.

OnPoint

Oh I forgot about most of those. Good God I hate shitty Magic deck names. Those, Junk, Nic-Fit... those names do nothing but alienate people for not being "in the know". Hate them.

At least names like Esper Stoneblade make sense if you know the cards and color combos.

How can you praise and hate colour combinations in the same post. What makes abzan more understandable than junk to someone who played during neither time. I loathe temur for replacing RUG.

I assume it's a stoneforgemystic deck that plays a bunch of swords in esper colours but w/o any of that context, which is all quite old by now, it's completely nondescript. If you just wanna know how old, Alara was 2008/9, Worldwake was 2010 and Mirrodin New Phyrexia was 2010/11

Top tier is not the same as broken. Mardu Vehicles and GB have decks that are good against them, but those decks completely fold to Copycat, and thus they don't get played.

Right. Like to give an extremely simplified win chart of a hypothetical RPS in a meta like this one:

Copycat: Beats J. Random Midrange+ 70%, beats Mardu Vehicles 30%
Mardu Vehicles: Beats J. Random Midrange+ 45%, beats Copycat 70%
J. Random Midrange+: beats Copycat 30%, beats Mardu Vehicles 55%

This is the problem with a deck with wildly polarized matchups. It's the causal factor in breaking the meta, but it's actually not the best choice to play, because one insane matchup and one awful matchup still averages out to mediocre. The best choice is the deck that preys on that deck, because it now has one insane matchup and one normally-bad matchup -- in other words, its winrate in its worst matchup is better than every other deck's worst matchup, and its best matchup is better than every other deck's best matchup. And that's precisely what we saw this weekend: a literally unprecedented level of dominance from Copycat's natural predator.

What besides "Oops all spells" is named after breakfast?

Besides the other stuff here, the "Full English Breakfast" Volrath's Shapeshifter/Phage the Untouchable combo deck.

What makes abzan more understandable than junk

Tens of thousands of dollars of marketing efforts including websites that new players still see when they pick up the game

Tens of thousands of dollars of marketing efforts including websites that new players still see when they pick up the game

As someone who mostly sat out Theros and Khans block it took watching PTs to learn the wedge names and I still don't like most of them. It's not like I have any nostalgia for junk, I learned about the denominations around the same time.

When I build a mardu Marchesa control deck, I'm gonna call it German Control to be contrarian.

OnPoint

How can you praise and hate colour combinations in the same post. What makes abzan more understandable than junk to someone who played during neither time. I loathe temur for replacing RUG.

I assume it's a stoneforgemystic deck that plays a bunch of swords in esper colours but w/o any of that context, which is all quite old by now, it's completely nondescript. If you just wanna know how old, Alara was 2008/9, Worldwake was 2010 and Mirrodin New Phyrexia was 2010/11

I mean, there is no perfect solution. But lemme clarify my positions for you.

1. I prefer RUG, BUG, etc. These are the easiest descriptors of the color combos (even if you have to explain B vs U to newbies), and I liked it when they used terms like RUG Delver. It's the easiest to understand.

2. The official Magic names (Esper, Jeskai, etc) are acceptable (mostly because that's what we have now), and Wizards actually pushes them. Jeskai Saheeli tells you pretty up front what it is, so long as you learn UWR is Jeskai.

3. Junk means literally nothing and is not officially supported. I only know it's Abzan because I picked up that knowledge. Junk Reanimator could mean literally anything to anyone, all you know is that it's a Reanimator deck. Are you just throwing whatever into it and making that come back? It's not intuitive.

4. Things like Robots and Nic-Fit are awful. Get out of here with that shit.

In defense of Esper Stoneblade, you know it's WBU, and it describes what it does. If you're playing Legacy, there's a level of implied knowledge already, and if you're interested in Legacy, you'll put it together.

ultron87

My preference for the Khans names vs stuff like Junk and BUG has always been that it's clear Abzan means something specific. If a new player sees one of the wedge names on a screen they think "oh, that's a word I've never heard before" and can quickly Google it and get to a wiki page that says it means Green, White, and Black. If they see Junk that has a lot more going on. Does it mean a deck with bad cards? Is it a deck about throwing stuff away into the graveyard? It takes longer to get to that name representing a specific color combo.

Plus, most players are totally fine with the Guild Names and Alara names, so leaving the Tarkir names out of it just because they are newer is silly.

I don't think these two are really comparable. If you hear "Robots" it's not a stretch to realize that robots are metallic creatures, then take the jump to artifact creature aggro. It's like "Stompy" -- maybe the exact genesis isn't obvious but most people's guess about the deck will be in the right neighborhood just based on inference from the name. (It's also arguably better than calling the deck "Affinity" when it contains zero Affinity cards.)

Whereas Nic Fit is a deck that manages to have not one but two completely different and 100% incoherent "explanations" for the name, it's pretty much the epitome of godawful Magic deck naming.

My preference for the Khans names vs stuff like Junk and BUG has always been that it's clear Abzan means something specific. If a new player sees one of the wedge names on a screen they think "oh, that's a word I've never heard before" and can quickly Google it and get to a wiki page that says it means Green, White, and Black.

Yeah this was part of my point about the marketing; these are distinct words whose only meaning (Esper aside) is MTG related, so they're easily searchable to get to the correct conclusion.

OnPoint

I don't think these two are really comparable. If you hear "Robots" it's not a stretch to realize that robots are metallic creatures, then take the jump to artifact creature aggro. It's like "Stompy" -- maybe the exact genesis isn't obvious but most people's guess about the deck will be in the right neighborhood just based on inference from the name. (It's also arguably better than calling the deck "Affinity" when it contains zero Affinity cards.)

Whereas Nic Fit is a deck that manages to have not one but two completely different and 100% incoherent "explanations" for the name, it's pretty much the epitome of godawful Magic deck naming.
I can agree with most of this. I think the only Affinity card in most lists ends up being Thoughtcast if any. There's actually better Metalcraft representation with Opal, Champion and Galv Blast than Affinity proper. Weird.

bigkrev

I don't think i've ever seen a WB deck referred to as "Orzhov", or a UW deck as "Azorius", ect. I have heard the term "Izzet Delver" before, but that's about it. Hell, even Wizards was using "Rock" for GB decks in a post RTR world!

I don't have an issue with Jeskai or Mardu, because there wasn't a general acceptance on what to call those combinations, but I still use Junk, RUG and BUG because they are easier to write, more fun to say, and in the case of RUG and BUG, are going to be something a lapsed player returning to the game will understand.

Affinity keeps its name for historical reasons and because "Robots" is a shitty-ass name.

I don't think i've ever seen a WB deck referred to as "Orzhov", or a UW deck as "Azorius", ect. I have heard the term "Izzet Delver" before, but that's about it. Hell, even Wizards was using "Rock" for GB decks in a post RTR world!

I don't have an issue with Jeskai or Mardu, because there wasn't a general acceptance on what to call those combinations, but I still use Junk, RUG and BUG because they are easier to write, more fun to say, and in the case of RUG and BUG, are going to be something a lapsed player returning to the game will understand.

Number one rule with abbreviations: it has to have fewer syllables than the original. So "Azorius" for "Blue/White" makes no sense, but "Jeskai" for "Blue/White/Red" does.

Tunoku

Gonna go to my store to finally do an Aether Revolt draft today. I only did two drafts when the set came out, so I'll probably do miserably. Any preferred archetypes y'all got? I heard that anything with Red is good, seems like a deep color.

Number one rule with abbreviations: it has to have fewer syllables than the original. So "Azorius" for "Blue/White" makes no sense, but "Jeskai" for "Blue/White/Red" does.

Rosewater actually mentioned at one point that this was a lesson they took from Ravnica and it's why all the shards and clans are one or two syllables.

I mean, there is no perfect solution. But lemme clarify my positions for you.

1. I prefer RUG, BUG, etc. These are the easiest descriptors of the color combos (even if you have to explain B vs U to newbies), and I liked it when they used terms like RUG Delver. It's the easiest to understand.

2. The official Magic names (Esper, Jeskai, etc) are acceptable (mostly because that's what we have now), and Wizards actually pushes them. Jeskai Saheeli tells you pretty up front what it is, so long as you learn UWR is Jeskai.

3. Junk means literally nothing and is not officially supported. I only know it's Abzan because I picked up that knowledge. Junk Reanimator could mean literally anything to anyone, all you know is that it's a Reanimator deck. Are you just throwing whatever into it and making that come back? It's not intuitive.

In defense of Esper Stoneblade, you know it's WBU, and it describes what it does. If you're playing Legacy, there's a level of implied knowledge already, and if you're interested in Legacy, you'll put it together.
1. Same
2. Like I said it depends on what era you played from. I like the argument of google results having unique names, though googling esper will get you weird results anyways.
3. Junk does mean nothing but there's history to the naming convention that makes for a story that's much better than abzan. I also just don't like how abzan sounds.
4. Affinity is also god awful to be honest. I have insane nostalgia for affinity considering Mirrodin was when I really started playing a ton, played from onslaught onwards but inherited those cards.

The esper stoneblade argument can be made for any deck in any format. Since someone said Wizards are still pushing the wedge names are they also still pushing shard names?

My own point is that some names just give you more intimacy with it. For instance I have a merfolk deck but when I talk about it, I name it fish. There's something more fun saying I'm playing fish than Merfolk.

You should take a look at the deck archetypes mtgtop8.com reports results under. Practically undecipherable at times.

bigkrev

You should take a look at the deck archetypes mtgtop8.com reports results under. Practically undecipherable at times.

Ones I don't know from Modern: Creatures Toolbox (I guess this is what they call Chord decks?), Sunny Side Up (which appears to be an Egg varients), and "Walks" (a time walk deck?)

Legacy on the other hand....

"Pikula"- I click on this, and it shows me decks called "deadguy ale". Not helping!
"Food Griffen"- My guess is this is a Food Chain based deck, no idea where the Griffen comes from
"All my Spells"- I guess I like this better than "Oops, all spells", but MAN this is bad

OnPoint

My own point is that some names just give you more intimacy with it. For instance I have a merfolk deck but when I talk about it, I name it fish. There's something more fun saying I'm playing fish than Merfolk.

I don't care what you call it to yourself. But if I were discussing it with anyone that wasn't me, I would call it Merfolk. "Fish" implies things like Dandan are in your deck ;)

Dandan%2B%255BARN%255D.jpg

Ones I don't know from Modern: Creatures Toolbox (I guess this is what they call Chord decks?), Sunny Side Up (which appears to be an Egg varients), and "Walks" (a time walk deck?)

Legacy on the other hand....

"Pikula"- I click on this, and it shows me decks called "deadguy ale". Not helping!
"Food Griffen"- My guess is this is a Food Chain based deck, no idea where the Griffen comes from
"All my Spells"- I guess I like this better than "Oops, all spells", but MAN this is bad

Pikula refers to Chris Pikula which makes some sense if you know the context (he made the deck) but is meaningless otherwise.
Food Griffin is just referring to the standard Food Chain deck, which uses Misthollow Griffin to go infinite.

Supast4r

I wouldn't play Ad Nauseum without having a lot of experience with it. Soul Sisters is very mediocre. Merfolk is cool but like you said, T2/T3. Grixis Control seems fine.

If I had to pick a deck right now, I'd probably go with Affinity or the Sram/Puresteel Paladin deck. Just be prepared to sideboard in Enchantment destruction immediately after G1 against any deck playing W because Stony Silence will ruin your day.

I actually think Jeskai Nahiri is pretty good right now, it has the tools to survive against aggressive decks and can grind against midrange. I'd consider mainboarding Anger of the Gods and Timely Reinforcements if you go that route.

Bant Eldrazi and Valakut are also good choices, imo.

I'm currently playing Eldrazi Hatebears on MTGO and I like it a lot but has some real bad matchups. Still, it's a really fun deck once you start getting into play lines that see you do stuff like Vial in Arbiter after your opponent cracks a fetch, then Ghost Quartering their other lands. Or exiling a card with Flickerwisp or Tidehollow Sculler then putting that card into the graveyard with Wasteland Strangler so they never get it back. Or just flickering your Thought-Knot with Displacer repeatedly and ripping apart the opponent's hand. Good stuff.
Grixis is one of the best deck to build right now as it has been on the rise for quite awhile. It's gotten new cards each set, many pros (Patrick Chaplin, Corey Burkheart, Micheal Majors, Ryan Overturf) play it so you have inspiration with new/old builds, and Amonkhet is coming in a few months with Nicol Bolas (a grixis themed planeswalker) and Lilianas demon (either random/mono black) being major villains in the set which means more grixis cards. Couple all that plus the new cards that we have gotten every set minus Kaladesh and I would say that it's a good time to be a grixis player :)

Supast4r

It's a blue Mythic griffin from Gatecrash or something that you can cast from exile. You can make infinite mana with it and Food Chain.
It's from innistrad (Misthollow Griffen) The entire point of the deck is to abuse misthollow Griffen because: it pitches to force of will, manipulate fate tutors for the griffin by exiling all copies, food chain plus griffin give infinite mana which let you cast fat ass creatures/whatever you want. Food chain is literally a midrange sultai deck.

OnPoint

Food%2BChain%2B%255BMM%255D.jpg
Misthollow%2BGriffin%2B%255BAVR%255D.jpg

• Have both in play
  • Sacrifice Griffin to Food Chain
  • Recast it using the mana you created sacrificing it
  • Profit one mana
  • Rinse, repeat as many times as you like
  • You effectively have infinite mana for creatures spells here
  • Cast a game ending threat

Maga%252C%2BTraitor%2Bto%2BMortals%2B%255BSOK%255D.jpg
Walking%2BBallista%2B%255BAER%255D.jpg
Emrakul%252C%2Bthe%2BAeons%2BTorn%2B%255BMM2%255D.jpg

Looking back at it now, it's fucking bonkers that they slapped Food Chain and Survival of the Fittest together and made it an artifact. And they let us play with it for years before banning it.

Violet_0

Banned
why 4x Metalwork Colossus in the sideboard when you have only one non-creature artifact?

I don't much like this deck due to the fact that most artifact creatures currently aren't very good. Crackdown Construct is sad, Merchant Dockhand is a 1/2 that pretty much never gets to use it's ability in a low-mana creature based aggressive deck, Foundry Inspectors ability isn't really worth the 3/2 body when you top out at two 4 mana and one 5 mana artifact. Walking Balilsta without snake is super slow and mana-hungry

Ashodin

why 4x Metalwork Colossus in the sideboard when you have only one non-creature artifact?

I don't much like this deck due to the fact that most artifact creatures currently aren't very good. Crackdown Construct is sad, Merchant Dockhand is a 1/2 that pretty much never gets to use it's ability in a low-mana creature based aggressive deck, Foundry Inspectors ability isn't really worth the 3/2 body when you top out at two 4 mana and one 5 mana artifact. Walking Balilsta without snake is super slow and mana-hungry

But you get 3 counters on it if you have a metallic mimic out + oran-rief.

Also the Metalworks are for longer game SBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom