• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

The bump to mythic for Snaps and Caverns is a slight misstep but at this point I think MM17 is already an A+ on value.

bigkrev

We've also decided that there are certain things we specifically do not want to be mythic rares. The largest category is utility cards, what I'll define as cards that fill a universal function. Some examples of this category would be cycles of dual lands and cards like Mutavault or Char.

I guess you can argue that Cavern of Souls isn't a universal function, but if Mutavault fits this descrpition, than Cavern sure as shit should not be a mythic

Cavern qualifies as a mythic imo, it's effectively a hoser in landform. I still don't like it since it's one of the few lands I need for my Fish deck. Currently on 1 Cavern and no Kamigawa lands.

Tunoku

I think this sums it up nicely:
200.gif

bigkrev

When it comes to supplemental sets, the original guidance for what should or should not be Mythic is irrelevant. That should be very clear by now.

This sometimes happens in regular sets. Look at Fate Reforged, for example, where the Mythics were all just the best tournament level cards (Warden of the First Tree, Soulfire Grand Master, Whisperwood Elemental), with the worst offender being Monistary Mentor- which was printed at a time when Young Pyromancer was legal and an Uncommon!

Daedardus

Their official reasoning will just be either A: It was too good in limited or B: It's an exciting card and mythic needed some excitement.

OnPoint

Are Mana Leak and Delver in the set? Can I draft the ol' Standard Delver deck please?

I know there's no double faced cards.

But Mana Leak could be in.

bigkrev

Their official reasoning will just be either A: It was too good in limited or B: It's an exciting card and mythic needed some excitement.

Maro already gave the official response on his blog (lightly edited to improve clarity)
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157828862678/care-to-explain-the-snapcaster-rarityshift
Finally, we need to spread (money) cards across all the rarities and part of the shift was making sure mythic rare had its share of (money cards). With the enemy fetch lands and Damnation, rare was already high in (money cards).

Cards in it aside, I'm a bit worried that the number of cases stores can reserve is roughly the same as MM2 (Minimum available cases is 1 lower for Advanced(+)stores) and that had the GP cases on top of it. Now, that doesn't entirely indicate a print run but without a second printing it very much seems to indicate it may well be a smaller printing than MM2 and certainly smaller than EMA.

Lucario

Cards in it aside, I'm a bit worried that the number of cases stores can reserve is roughly the same as MM2 (Minimum available cases is 1 lower for Advanced(+)stores) and that had the GP cases on top of it. Now, that doesn't entirely indicate a print run but without a second printing it very much seems to indicate it may well be a smaller printing than MM2 and certainly smaller than EMA.

Is that really true? I thought there was a rumor that this was going to be a print-to-demand set for the first run.

Spiking to $230 a box on tcgplayer doesn't really bode well, though. Glad I got some MassDrop boxes...

MoxManiac

I thought stores were getting as much as they wanted?

Also, there's no WPN requirement this time, which is pretty huge. For example, a local movie/music/video game chain here that also sells MTG stuff is getting MM2017. They never got the previous MM's or the first WPN printing of EMA.

Also, there's no WPN requirement this time, which is pretty huge. For example, a local movie/music/video game chain here that also sells MTG stuff is getting MM2017. They never got the previous MM's or the first WPN printing of EMA.

If this is true, this is the single biggest indicator of the larger print size. If this starts showing up in wal marts and wizards didn't say anything that'll be crazy.

Ah. I was looking at the original announcement product page with the standard WPN numbers. It appears that a more recent product page which indeed doesn't currently list any specific product list. Sorry, my fault. I blame WotC for not updating old info. This would indeed seem to indicate that they're upping the availability from what was originally planned.

en_oYewlmYojE.png

Good. Good.

Hey, maybe it can stabilize below $100 this time!

I mean, I guess I can understand the Cavern upgrade from a logistics perspective (Cavern hoses one of the archetypes in sealed completely, and at least from what we know there's a tribal subtheme(See Splicers). They could have just decided to balance for limited better?

I still think it's shady, but it's a hell of a lot better in terms of a mythic then 90% of Fate Reforged, where the only justifiable mythic was really Whisperwood to me.

I mean, I guess I can understand the Cavern upgrade from a logistics perspective (Cavern hoses one of the archetypes in sealed completely, and at least from what we know there's a tribal subtheme(See Splicers). They could have just decided to balance for limited better?

I still think it's shady, but it's a hell of a lot better in terms of a mythic then 90% of Fate Reforged, where the only justifiable mythic was really Whisperwood to me.
How is Soulfire not Mythic? Giving noncreature spells lifelink was entirely new and epic.

I haven't followed MtG in a long time, but I've been looking at the spoilers for this set. Holy cow at the quality of the reprints. I thought Eternal Masters had a decent card pool, but this is blowing it away.

Tunoku

Holy crap, Goyf really got in there. And I like the new Serum Visions art! What a time to be alive. Glad the set is out two weeks after Zelda and not just one. Gonna jam a bunch of drafts of this for sure.

A_Dang

If I'm being honest, one of the biggest reasons I am super excited about the set so far is that all of the money cards are ones I don't have. I think the biggest hit in card value I'll see is Grafdigger's Cage going down a few bucks, and then Domri Rade.

Really, again, if I am being honest, I think I'd lose some excitement when I see something of value that I own being spoiled. Which will still be a worth while trade off for all the cards I will finally (hopefully) be able to crack or buy into.

Edit: I'm not feeling the Azorius Signet art. It looks GW, not UW.

If I'm being honest, one of the biggest reasons I am super excited about the set so far is that all of the money cards are ones I don't have. I think the biggest hit in card value I'll see is Grafdigger's Cage going down a few bucks, and then Domri Rade.

Really, again, if I am being honest, I think I'd lose some excitement when I see something of value that I own being spoiled. Which will still be a worth while trade off for all the cards I will finally (hopefully) be able to crack or buy into.

I think that really depends on the person and the situation. For the most part I'm OK with cards I own taking a hit since it still means others getting them cheaper (and maybe getting more copies for myself) although if you just spent a ton of cards that end up tanking it's pretty feel bad.

Tunoku

Signets are gonna make limited even sweeter. Have fun with your cute flickers decks, I'll get passed a Cruel Ultimatum and go to value town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom