• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Dang

I think that really depends on the person and the situation. For the most part I'm OK with cards I own taking a hit since it still means others getting them cheaper (and maybe getting more copies for myself) although if you just spent a ton of cards that end up tanking it's pretty feel bad.

Like I said, I know it will be worth while, and the reality is the price of the cards will likely go back up, so my excitement would only take a little hit.

alternade

Thank god I preordered this set when it was $150. Boxes are now are $250 and if Karn is the last mythic they will easily go to $275. Is this the most EV set they have printed ever? Whats the print run supposed to be?

y2dvd

Oh lawd I should probably buy some shocklands in preparation of making a new deck once I can get ahold of these reprints.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And I thought paying 12.99 for a set was expensive...
It's a stupid card that should probably be in a supplemental precon. It's a filler card in every deck that plays it.

I wonder if just having the lead developer as the set designer contributed to this set seeming more exciting than MM15.

ultron87

oNTucjd.jpg

Serum Visions with new art!

This art is so much better. Excellent.

bigkrev

It's a stupid card that should probably be in a supplemental precon. It's a filler card in every deck that plays it.

I wonder if just having the lead developer as the set designer contributed to this set seeming more exciting than MM15.

Yeah, if we get a Tezzeret vs Chandra Duel Deck, throwing 2 Baubles in seems manditory

I feel like it is simultaneously indicative of Magic's greatest strength and its greatest weakness that a card like Mishra's Bauble can be so important and valuable.

traveler

Not Wario
Welp, bit the bullet and got a playset of Ancestral Visions at $39 a pop. Also went ahead and picked up 2 Engineered Explosives.

Still a shot at Chalice in the set as well as one place for Noble Hierarch. Sleight of Hand got knocked out by Serum Visions unfortunately.

Boy it sure is too bad that Wizards hates Modern and is killing it off right after they printed this set that will let so many new people start playing it :(

All signets are in as uncommons.

This is actually my biggest personal hobby-horse hype for the set, it's been making me crazy for years that only some of the new signet art had made it to print -- even with two more checked off by C16 we still weren't finished. Now here they all are together finally!

I think it's obvious that they heard us loud and clear from MM2015.

It's good that they're listening.

Yes, it's hard to take this set list as anything but a clear rebuke to the thought process (if one could call it that) behind MM2.

Is this the most EV set they have printed ever?

I'm really surprised MTGGoldfish doesn't offer a live tracker of this, and it's hard to see where everything settles for opening week given that the packs and the cards are all jumping around in value right now, but almost assuredly yes. It was stupid high early on with just the first few reveals + blanks, and a lot of stuff has been revealed since that dramatically increases it.

They can't really tank it very effectively that way unless they do something ridiculous like print it in all five Commander decks one year. This card is like an optimal example of cards they never should have allowed to get as pricey as they did, because now they have a crappier set of options to address it.

The ideal thing for something like this is to reprint it in a booster-based supplemental product without a $10 pricepoint -- i.e. something like Conspiracy -- but they don't have one of those coming up any time soon.

I'm really surprised MTGGoldfish doesn't offer a live tracker of this, and it's hard to see where everything settles for opening week given that the packs and the cards are all jumping around in value right now, but almost assuredly yes. It was stupid high early on with just the first few reveals + blanks, and a lot of stuff has been revealed since that dramatically increases it.

Eh, it wouldn't be very useful because MTGGold still uses list median from TCGPlayer instead of the more accurate going rate so it's often quite inaccurate on cards when prices are in flux.

y2dvd

Funny how Karn is rising way faster than the reprints are dropping. Guessing all the other stables not reprinted will also see a faster spike. Happens with all these sets.

Funny how Karn is rising way faster than the reprints are dropping. Guessing all the other stables not reprinted will also see a faster spike. Happens with all these sets.

Yeah. I'm basically waiting to jump on a few Pact of Negations if/when it's confirmed there's no reprint. I need some for decks I currently have/am building and I don't want them to double in price or anything on me if I can avoid it. x_x

Goyf price is still a huge barrier of entry. LotV probably won't change much either.
Just don't play green, easy.
Yeah. I'm basically waiting to jump on a few Pact of Negations if/when it's confirmed there's no reprint. I need some for decks I currently have/am building and I don't want them to double in price or anything on me if I can avoid it. x_x
Anyone wanting pact of negations can't be up to no good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Boy it sure is too bad that Wizards hates Modern and is killing it off right after they printed this set that will let so many new people start playing it :(

This is actually my biggest personal hobby-horse hype for the set, it's been making me crazy for years that only some of the new signet art had made it to print -- even with two more checked off by C16 we still weren't finished. Now here they all are together finally!

Yes, it's hard to take this set list as anything but a clear rebuke to the thought process (if one could call it that) behind MM2.

They can't really tank it very effectively that way unless they do something ridiculous like print it in all five Commander decks one year. This card is like an optimal example of cards they never should have allowed to get as pricey as they did, because now they have a crappier set of options to address it.

The ideal thing for something like this is to reprint it in a booster-based supplemental product without a $10 pricepoint -- i.e. something like Conspiracy -- but they don't have one of those coming up any time soon.

The hilarious part is that they increased the pricepoint to $10 on MM2015 when they did such a poor job disguising how much you had to open a bunch of money rares to make it worth it. They've done a much better job here - I doubt the EV on this set is going to be higher than $10 when its said and done, but they hid some of that with reprints that look valuable but aren't actually valuable, e.g. Abrupt Decay or Scavenging Ooze (of course a lot of that is because they got to the point of including sets that have Modern-played cards that were heavily printed).

Angry Grimace

I'm a little concerned about this draft environment though. Intangible Virtue is a dumb card and Lingering Souls is a card in the format.

Jhriad

Wonder if I'd get any takers in the Facebook groups of I wanted to trade my Misty Rainforest expedition for a sealed box of MM3.

ultron87

I think I'm almost done tweaking my Powered (proxy) Cube and am ready to have a group draft it. It worry it might be a horrible combo-ey mess that the less experienced players in our cube group will have no idea what to do with. People seem excited to try it at least, but that is probably just the allure of playing a (color copied) Lotus.

Have I made any horrible mistakes or omissions? http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/74088

The original list I copied from, which I picked without the best care, had some weird choices which I've since tried to migrate away from, but some of that probably remains. I didn't realize quite how weird it was till I'd already printed it. So it was too late to just switch to the MTGO cube as a base.

Angry Grimace

Why don't they ever reprint Through the Breach? $40 red splashy card. Seems like a shoo-in for "red mythic."

Santiako

Why don't they ever reprint Through the Breach? $40 red splashy card. Seems like a shoo-in for "red mythic."

No idea, I picked up my playset last summer when I built my Breach Titan modern deck and they are almost three times as expensive now. They might be saving it for EMA2 but who knows.

Angry Grimace

This draft format looks like "draft the best cards in any color and then a bunch of fixing." I don't know how well that will actually play in terms of gameplay.

Santiako

This draft format looks like "draft the best cards in any color and then a bunch of fixing." I don't know how well that will actually play in terms of gameplay.

Without knowing most of the commons/uncommons so far yeah, there so much fixing that you can easily play 3-4-5 colours.

Hero

So with number crunching, are the cards Engineered Explosives and Chalice of the Void definitely out of the set?

Angry Grimace

So with number crunching, are the cards Engineered Explosives and Chalice of the Void definitely out of the set?

EE is out, Chalice isn't necessarily out.

Without knowing most of the commons/uncommons so far yeah, there so much fixing that you can easily play 3-4-5 colours.

It doesn't even matter. We know there are 11 fixers at common and 15 at uncommon (10 signets + 5 trilands). This is a pretty clear "draft everything good" format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom