• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really need to have him come out of nowhere and gank someone.

Like, in Ixalan, Jace and Vraska are off searching for something, plot progressing as usual, adventure and action, then BAM! Giant hulking dude out of nowhere, Vraska gets her head lopped off, Garruk fucks off to somewhere else.
Garruk should be MtG Jesus and save us from the Gatewatch. He is the planeswalker slayer, after all.

My dumb prediction was Garruk showing up, killing Bolas, and Planeswalking away.

Official SDCC 2017 Planeswalkers:

These sort of remind me why I dislike the current storytelling format so much. How cool would it be to return to Amonkhet 1,000 years after the first set, where the battle between Bolas (the hero) and the Planeswalkers (disruptive villains) was an ingrained cultural/religious teaching?

Hell, even a time skip of 100 years would be amazing for that narrative. You'd have a symbolic "Exiled from Paradise" mashed up with the fall and other cultural touchstones.

Wizards will never do it though, because evidently touching on elements of the Western canon based in religion is a taboo.

Firemind

Please not Vraska. Multicolor planeswalkers are hard enough to come by as is. Have him kill off one of those mono-color ones that no one likes, like Tibalt.

But yes, WotC desperately needs to implement a "Garruk Everywhere System" into Magic.
You will get your U/G Jace and you will like it.

No, but seriously, they've had a tendendy to make planeswalkers green as of late.

Repgnar

Red Hapatra Deck

1CMC = 3 creatures, 2 instants
3x Soul-Scar Mage
2x Magma Spray

2CMC = 7 creatures, 3 sorcery aftermaths, 2 instants
4x Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons
3x Channeler Initiate
3x Cut to Ribbons
2x Abrade

3CMC = 9 creatures
4x Ammit Eternal
3x Banewhip Punisher
2x Obelisk Spider

4CMC = 3 creatures, 2 planeswalkers
3x Crocodile of the Crossing
2x Magmaroth
2x Chandra, Torch of Defiance

5CMC = 4 creatures
2x The Scorpion God
2x Glorybringer

23 LANDS
4x Blooming Marsh = B/G untapped if 2 or less
4x Sheltered Thicket = R/G tapped but can cycle
4x Canyon Slough = B/R tapped but can cycle
5x Mountains
4x Forests
4x Swamps

SIDEBOARD/MAYBEBOARD
Fatal Push
Exemplar of Strength
Lethal Sting
Never to Return
Hour of Glory
Tenacious Hunter

COMMENTS/CONCERNS
-So the biggest thing i'm unsure of is the mana. I want to stick to stuff that isn't rotating out with Ixalan which forces me to use 8 mana that enters tapped. With Glorybringer and Chandra I have two cards that will require double red. How big of a problem is this?
-Did I over do it with spells for Soul-Scar Mage? I initially didn't have Abrade in the main board but didn't feel like 6 was enough to warrant the Soul-Scar Mages.
-I am not sold/settled on the 4CMC creatures. Also had tenacious hunter in the mix but going with these 2 for now.

Yeef

I guess they were afraid it would look too flat if it was just straight up hieroglyphics? Which completely misses the point, of course.
It's all a single piece of art, just cut into sections for the individual cards. It's easier to see when they're side by side. It seems like Bolas is meant to be either turning them into hieroglyphics or destroying them. It's difficult to tell.

Violet_0

Banned
Let's play a game called which to cut/keep from Tiaigam

Expensive spell wincon
if it's for 4+ players,
mindsdilation.jpg
and
diluvianprimordial.jpg

neither are sorceries or instants but who cares, blue power cards go

Is Bolas so petty he has engrave his triumph personally?

Yes.

C'mon. Why is Bolas not in Hiero style? Because he's the one carving them?

Yes.

Going from 10->5 isn't about datacrunching, it's about them being able to prop up a mediocre deck like Temur Tower without everyone else being able to call them on it. Move is based only on optics.

Fair, there's no plausible benefit from the 10 -> 5 change even if there was for reducing data in the first place.

Jokes aside, where the fuck is Garruk? He was one of the Lorwyn 5 and he was the main face of the last core set, but we haven't seen him since M15.

Garruk's someone you add in as an antagonist when you have a story set on a plane that's otherwise lacking in an acute threat to the protagonists. Like hypothetically he'd be perfect if we had a return to Lorwyn where one of the GW walkers was there to pick something up.

These sort of remind me why I dislike the current storytelling format so much. How cool would it be to return to Amonkhet 1,000 years after the first set, where the battle between Bolas (the hero) and the Planeswalkers (disruptive villains) was an ingrained cultural/religious teaching?

They're never going to consider going back to anything like this because "kill off your cast of characters every year and never be able to return to them" is a terrible approach from a business standpoint. Actual jumps forward in time just aren't practical if they're actually going to have an ongoing story, and having an ongoing story sells tons of product so they're gonna have one. If they want to switch up the timescale doing flashbacks is a much better plan at this point.

if it's for 4+ players,
mindsdilation.jpg
and
diluvianprimordial.jpg

neither are sorceries or instants but who cares, blue power cards go
I already have Dovescape and Consecrated Sphinx occupying these spots. The other fatties are Sun Titan and Ojutai, for obvious flavour reasons.

I love mind's dilation even when I keep hitting lands with it in my Narset deck.

They're never going to consider going back to anything like this because "kill off your cast of characters every year and never be able to return to them" is a terrible approach from a business standpoint. Actual jumps forward in time just aren't practical if they're actually going to have an ongoing story, and having an ongoing story sells tons of product so they're gonna have one. If they want to switch up the timescale doing flashbacks is a much better plan at this point.

It might work for a plane that just didn't work the first time round. There's no reason for time to move the same on all planes, after all. Could be a way of salvaging less popular settings.

alternade

So the LGS I've been going to is starting 2 headed giant EDH. I'm thinking of going some form of control, maybe UW or Bant? It was very casual last time I played. Breya was a bit too much for the table :/

Justin

Red Hapatra Deck

Mine is a bit more "all in" on the -1/-1

Green/Black

Creatures
2 Ruthless Sniper
3 Channeler Initiate
4 Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons
4 Banewhip Punisher
3 Obelisk Spider
4 Ammit Eternal
3 Tenacious Hunter
3 Archfiend of Ifnir

Artifact
3 Key to the City

Instant/Sorcery
3 Hapatra's Mark
3 Supernatural Strength
3 Lethal Sting

Lands
No Idea

The goal is to have either Hapatra or Spider on the field and use the Ammit and Archfiend to feed them -1/-1 counters. Hapatra's Mark and Supernatural Stamina are all about keeping Hapatra and Ammit alive. I'm thinking that if I had 2 copies of Rhonas I would replace the Sniper with him because it seems awesome to buff the Ammit with Rhonas and cause 1 trample damage to make it though and refresh the -1/-1 on the Ammit.

This is the first constructed deck I have tried to make as I have only played limited since I started playing this game so I have no idea if 26 creatures is too many.

If I went Green/Black/Red I would replace Archfiend with Scorpion God, Tenacious Hunter with Magmaroth and Key to the City with Blur of Blades

There's no reason for time to move the same on all planes, after all.

Yes, there is: they briefly flirted with doing this and it made basically things impossible to follow or write about coherently. That kind of story element is hard to follow even in a pure narrative medium like film, much less something that's already confusingly non-linear.

Yes, there is: they briefly flirted with doing this and it made basically things impossible to follow or write about coherently. That kind of story element is hard to follow even in a pure narrative medium like film, much less something that's already confusingly non-linear.

Personally, I don't think it's an issue if done in moderation but I can see how there could be issues. TBH, it'd probably be something to save for supplimental sets.

You will get your U/G Jace and you will like it.

No, but seriously, they've had a tendendy to make planeswalkers green as of late.

Just make all the planeswalkers /G.

Then make all the cards /G.

Then decide green's "color pie" is mostly just stuff you basically want in all colors and move to a four-color system where everyone gets green's shit.

Wizards also did this in DnD and it was disastrous.

pigeon

Banned

They could do it as a one-off for a specific plane, but really there's no reason for them to do that because they already crunch time in ways that make basically no sense all the time. They can just say when the planeswalkers come back in two weeks they've already started a bunch of planeswalker cults. I doubt the cards would look any different.

Repgnar

Mine is a bit more "all in" on the -1/-1

Green/Black

Do you think a lack of card draw would be a problem? This was sort of the list I was looking to do initially. I really like the key to the city synergy with Hapatra/Ammit and discard cards. This is my first time trying constructed as well.

Maledict

Please not Vraska. Multicolor planeswalkers are hard enough to come by as is. Have him kill off one of those mono-color ones that no one likes, like Tibalt.

But yes, WotC desperately needs to implement a "Garruk Everywhere System" into Magic.

Isn't Tybalt really popular, looks and design wise? Or is that just me? I've always thought that visually he was far superior to most of the male planewalkers, even if his actual card was straight up junk.

Also aren't they going to make him black / red in the end to fill that missing spot?

Also final thing re the planes walkers cards - Liliana has Bolas's symbol over her head. Subtle hint she will end up working for him aka Bantu?

Firemind

Just make all the planeswalkers /G.

Then make all the cards /G.

Then decide green's "color pie" is mostly just stuff you basically want in all colors and move to a four-color system where everyone gets green's shit.
You jest, but it's weird how green is added to anyone resembling experienced good guy.

Ajani, Mentor of Heroes: can't be mono white as a calm, older mentor for some reason.

Sarkhan Unbroken: was mono red. Time travels, saves an ancient dragon, returns to current timeline means you're green now.

Tamiyo, Field Researcher: studies the moon. Green.

Green Urza any time now.

You jest, but it's weird how green is added to anyone resembling experienced good guy.

Ajani, Mentor of Heroes: can't be mono white as a calm, older mentor for some reason.

Sarkhan Unbroken: was mono red. Time travels, saves an ancient dragon, returns to current timeline means you're green now.

Tamiyo, Field Researcher: studies the moon. Green.

Green Urza any time now.
Sarkhan and Ajani had green in their identity already.
Ajani switching from red to green parallels the story of Kamahl.

Sarkhan being temur as an offset to adding blue was fine. If you look at the Khans story as a cleansing he's back to where he started with the blue added because of the time conundrum.

Tamiyo they admitted to making Bant because of non story issues.

Justin

Do you think a lack of card draw would be a problem? This was sort of the list I was looking to do initially. I really like the key to the city synergy with Hapatra/Ammit and discard cards. This is my first time trying constructed as well.

Yeah it's a problem. You will have to use Key to draw extra cards which means that you have to dedicate 2 mana evey turn to it which is probably a big ask. It's probably why the Green/Red/Black version is better.

DrArchon

Why are people hyping up this garbage set? Seriously, I don't understand it. "Samut can give Doube Strike to Heart of Kiran", fucking what? You're never going to put Samut in the same deck as Heart. Samut is a liability for whatever deck you put her in.

Violet_0

Banned
there's a non-zero chance Wizards will have to ban PW Samut

does he know that the zombie decks have only a few more months to live until rotation

Adaren

I think that Bolas is destroying recently created carvings of the GW, rather than carving them himself.

I love the cards though.

bigkrev

So, Gabriel Nassif wrote this article: The Chance that Each Notable Hour of Devastation Card Will Appear in a Tier 1 Standard Deck

and he claims this:

What the fuck is he talking about, why would they ever need to ban a 5 mana conditional wrath. One of the dumbest lines I've read in a while.

The best logic I can come up with:
Confidence in Standard is at a very low point, and they believe they have solved the issue in the long term with the Playtest team, but the fruits of those labors are more than a year away at this point. If we get any deck as 70% of the metagame, we might see a ban. Hour is even MORE likely than the average card to get banned, because if it pushes midrange out of Standard, which is the only deck Wizards likes to be good in the format, they will ban the card so we can have midrange again for the billionth time instead of something different.

DrArchon

I love the constant notion that Ammit Eternal is going to be a thing in Zombie decks. Are people just ignoring that the 3-drop slot is hotly contested and there's no way you're getting rid of Diregraf Colossus or Lord of the Accursed? Seriously, what gives?

For fuck's sake, Plague Belcher is a better Zombie card than Ammit Eternal and it's not nearly good enough to go in Zombies.

Nassif has lost it a little bit, if his stream is anything to go by.

Why are people hyping up this garbage set? Seriously, I don't understand it. "Samut can give Doube Strike to Heart of Kiran", fucking what? You're never going to put Samut in the same deck as Heart. Samut is a liability for whatever deck you put her in.

CFB needs to sell cards. Having a pro or two try and hype something up as a chase rare is not something they're above doing.

DrArchon

CFB needs to sell cards. Having a pro or two try and hype something up as a chase rare is not something they're above doing.

Yeah, I completely forgot that they're a store. I never bother with them. Makes sense though. Gotta get those pre-order numbers up.

And it's not like I disagree with everything he said. Hour of Devastation is clearly a great card that UR control players will love to use. But to say it's ban-worthy? This soon? Give me a break.

DrArchon

No lie, the only cards from Hour I'm excited about are Crested Sunmare and Scarab God, and Scarab God's just for EDH. Everything else in the set I'm at best mildly interested in. That's not a good place to be in for a set where I was this hyped for the initial setting and some of the mechanics. And even stuff I might be interested in trying, like a janky Scopion God -1/-1 counters deck, I'm actively avoiding because I know as soon as Ixalan comes out we'll go back to +1/+1 counters and no support for the cards.

So yeah, bring on the dino riders. Bring on the pirates. I've had enough mummies and gods and trials for a while.

Well, technically we already know if it will save us. But I guess leak discussion are not allowed on here?
It's more that discussing it now will make the actual Ixalan thread boring. Even as is, I expect a bunch of people to get irrationally angry about Wizards daring to reveal leaked rare cards.

They'll also get angry when they keep on revealing commons and uncommons.

Well, technically we already know if it will save us. But I guess leak discussion are not allowed on here?

People wanted to go light on discussing Ixalan leaks while Hour reveals were actively ongoing.

Hour's done leaking (and almost entirely out of water besides), so go nuts.

DrArchon

It's more that discussing it now will make the actual Ixalan thread boring. Even as is, I expect a bunch of people to get irrationally angry about Wizards daring to reveal leaked rare cards.

They'll also get angry when they keep on revealing commons and uncommons.

People need to lay off WotC when they reveal uncommons and stuff. There's lots of quality, tournament staple cards that aren't rares and mythics. Are people so quick to forget about Fatal Push? And Thraben Inspector? Hell, Oketra's Monument is a thing now. Doubt anyone thought that would be a thing when it was revealed.

Daedardus

So if nobody objects to it and since the HoD discussion has already ended with people saying that everything sucks, I have to say Ixalan looks very promising. Don't really know if there will be a format warping card on power level, but overall the design and flavour is miles better than the last sets. The cards look interesting again without having to be crazy powerful.

People need to lay off WotC when they reveal uncommons and stuff. There's lots of quality, tournament staple cards that aren't rares and mythics. Are people so quick to forget about Fatal Push? And Thraben Inspector? Hell, Oketra's Monument is a thing now. Doubt anyone thought that would be a thing when it was revealed.

To be honest, while commons and uncommons can play a huge supporting roles in competitive (Standard) decks, it's still mostly the rares that declare the archetypes. Cards like Fatal Push, Path to Exile and Lightning Bolt only come once in a few years and the other commonly played commons and uncommons are mostly one or two in each set. They are more defining for the limited format and the overall design quality of a set, so that's why they still matter.

Also only half of the rares were actually readable so there will still be a good number of reveals.

There was this other leak that gave a good picture of the whole printsheet, so I think everything but a few cards have been spoiled.

DrArchon

It's certainly not the most disappointing small set of all time (fuck you Dragon's Maze), but it's fitting that the last small set ever is a big wet fart.

Doesn't Ixalan have a small set after it? I thought Dominaria was when they were starting with the whole "nothing but big sets" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom