• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zocano

From what we've seen of the rares of Ixalan, none of them really make me want to build a deck around them. At the very least, I was way more interested (and still am to an extent) to Amonkhet blocks design space. Ixalan just seems... boring to me. Maybe rivals will provide more interesting stuff.

Justin

I am going to go against all the negativity and say that I am still excited to draft the new set a few times this weekend.

Zocano

So we're already on the "Ixalan is boring, let's get to the next set" train, huh? Haha.

you-got-me.gif

Zocano

For what it's worth, as I mentioned, I really like Amonkhet's design space. It's just fairly underpowered. It still makes me want to make decks or at least try out the cards, but I can't say the same for what we've seen of Ixalan (which leans a bit too big stompy for me).

Violet_0

Banned
I get the impression that Amonkhet will be like BfZ for Standard, meaning barely any cards will get much play as new sets get released. Except that AKH doesn't have Ally of Zendikar and useful manlands

Ixalan on the other hand could be the next Khans

Santiako

Why else would the title emphasize rivals?

Because it's people fighting for the treasure of El Dorado:

The legendary city of Orazca has been found, but it will not be claimed without a fight. Now, you must outpace, outwit, and overpower your rivals as you vie for control of this ancient metropolis. Succeed, and you will wield the greatest power of the plane.

Ashodin

Sperling wrote an article being a contrarian idiot about the hall of fame vote, and hypocritical'd himself into the corner.

Basically he boils it all down to fuck Pikula, get more good scrub, also vote for whoever you want except these guys

jph139

For what it's worth, as I mentioned, I really like Amonkhet's design space. It's just fairly underpowered. It still makes me want to make decks or at least try out the cards, but I can't say the same for what we've seen of Ixalan (which leans a bit too big stompy for me).

I feel like Amonkhet in general really took the brunt of the Standard rotation changeover and general awfulness of the format. Developmentally speaking. The core design for both sets is fine, but even the flashiest cards just feel way too expensive to use properly.

Firemind

I think we've exhausted the well at this point. Shame Tomoharu Saito never got in though. Despite what he did in the past, he does a lot for the Japanese community.

bigkrev

I think we've exhausted the well at this point. Shame Tomoharu Saito never got in though. Despite what he did in the past, he does a lot for the Japanese community.

He did get in.
Then, he got suspended in the time between the voting and the actual induction ceremony

I don't buy the "stalling isn't real cheating argument." It's fucking cheating. It's more serious in some ways than other forms because of how damn hard it is to police - it's less overt and more subversive. It preys on player's social weaknesses (i.e., being conflict-averse or just trying to be nice) and takes advantage of that. It's fucking cheating.

so Bolas is drawing fanart of the Gatewatch when he's not out destroying worlds? That's kinda cute

and it (very) likely means nothing but Nissa's mural is seemingly riddled with holes. Symbolism!

Jace has people holding their heads in front of him because he got mindblasted.
Nissa is burying someone in cascades of sand because... she's been buried in the desert?
Gideon's mural is cracked because he's dead

Firemind

I don't buy the "stalling isn't real cheating argument." It's fucking cheating. It's more serious in some ways than other forms because of how damn hard it is to police - it's less overt and more subversive. It preys on player's social weaknesses (i.e., being conflict-averse or just trying to be nice) and takes advantage of that. It's fucking cheating.
Eh. It's not as bad as stacking decks because that's even harder to find out. Remi Fortier has been suspicious of deck stacking by the European MTG community in the past and he's only been suspended for 12 months for something else entirely.

Violet_0

Banned
Nissa is burying someone in cascades of sand because... she's been buried in the desert?

oh, I didn't even look closely at the others
Lily accepts Bolas' offer while Chandra rejects it?

DrArchon

You can see some bits and pieces in the murals hinting at how they lose.

Jace has a nasty headache in one bit. Liliana goes up against Bolas with a ton of zombies turned against her, etc. It's a nice piece all in all.

Yeef

so Bolas is drawing fanart of the Gatewatch when he's not out destroying worlds? That's kinda cute

and it (very) likely means nothing but Nissa's mural is seemingly riddled with holes. Symbolism!
Each walker has something in their art that represents them. Jace has people holding their heads because he uses mind magic. Liliana has zombies in front of her. Nissa has sand, because she's all about the land. Chandra has people with torches, because fire. The guy in front of Gideon is positioned in such a way that it looks like Gideon is shielding him. Then the people beneath Bolas are worshiping him.

Sperling wrote an article being a contrarian idiot about the hall of fame vote, and hypocritical'd himself into the corner.

I don't know when Pikula pissed in his cheerios but Sperling comes off as even more of a jerk than usual here. There's a totally reasonable argument someone could make against a Pikula vote, with the same basic factual underpinning as here, but without the petty garbage.

Violet_0

Banned
Each walker has something in their art that represents them. Jace has people holding their heads because he uses mind magic. Liliana has zombies in front of her. Nissa has sand, because she's all about the land. Chandra has people with torches, because fire. The guy in front of Gideon is positioned in such a way that it looks like Gideon is shielding him. Then the people beneath Bolas are worshiping him.

the way I interpret it, it's supposed to show us what happened or is going to happen to each of them. Like, Jace - Amnesia, Gideon - broken/injured

OnPoint

Couple of interesting things going on here...

1. Jace getting dunked on

2. Is Liliana praising him? Couples with the idea of her head being in the horns

3. Two bodies making the Bolas horns. Interesting aesthetically, probably means nothing

4. Chandra's talk to the hand (nothing of note going on with her really)

5. The invincible man, cracked.

Also, wtf is Bolas drawing on the end?

It's not a bad piece of story telling.

traveler

Not Wario
If the Hall of Fame was strictly a measure of competitive success, they should just take the voting away from all the pros and define a clear level of success/pro points to get in. The mere fact that you get to vote at all should clue you in that it's not strictly about results.

I don't know when Pikula pissed in his cheerios but Sperling comes off as even more of a jerk than usual here. There's a totally reasonable argument someone could make against a Pikula vote, with the same basic factual underpinning as here, but without the petty garbage.

I mean, "being a dick" is basically Sperling's personal brand, so this isn't surprising.

If the Hall of Fame was strictly a measure of competitive success, they should just take the voting away from all the pros and define a clear level of success/pro points to get in. The mere fact that you get to vote at all should clue you in that it's not strictly about results.

This is a very good point.

Couple of interesting things going on here...

1. Jace getting dunked on

2. Is Liliana praising him? Couples with the idea of her head being in the horns

3. Two bodies making the Bolas horns. Interesting aesthetically, probably means nothing

4. Chandra's talk to the hand (nothing of note going on with her really)

5. The invincible man, cracked.

Also, wtf is Bolas drawing on the end?

It's not a bad piece of story telling.

The art is fantastic. Clears up whether Bolas is recording or destroying. The real question is who is he recording it for?

IIRC, Gideon and Chandra are the only two he touches directly...

ultron87

I love the idea of people walking around a random corner and seeing the giant God Pharaoh Dragon hunched down tagging up some wall with pictures of the people he beat up last week.

"Oh, uh... hey. I'm almost done! FEAR ME! IGNORE ME!"

traveler

Not Wario
Also, is Sperling seriously entertaining the idea of voting in Saito despite the cheating in the same article he goes on a tirade against Pikula in? That is a wonderful look.

I love the idea of people walking around a random corner and seeing the giant God Pharaoh Dragon hunched down tagging up some wall with pictures of the people he beat up last week.

"Oh, uh... hey. I'm almost done! FEAR ME! IGNORE ME!"

"*Sigh* ... My Lord, might this not be a task for the servants?"
"Good point, Kiffnut. Get the boy."
"... the 'boy', My Lord?"
"You. You carve the mural, Kiffnut."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom