• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Standard only to begin with:

We want to create the deepest, richest digital card game on the market. Magic already boasts some of the deepest strategy of any TCG in the world, tabletop or digital, and MTG Arena's goal is to live up to that depth right at the start of Closed Beta. By the time we go into full launch, MTG Arena will feature the full card sets in Standard, with around 1,000 new cards added every year. That means deeper gameplay, more experiences to discover, and more room to explore.

Source.

aidan

More details:

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR TABLETOP MAGIC AND MAGIC ONLINE
The focus of MTG Arena will be on the newest cards and game modes. Because of this, we know that Magic Online—which has a library of nearly every card ever printed from the game's entire history—will continue to offer experiences to players that are unique to Magic Online. Development on Magic Online will continue with new card sets, new updates, and ongoing tournaments. For more on the future of Magic Online, be sure to read Chris Kiritz's article, also posted today.

Another key goal for for MTG Arena is for both the tabletop and digital versions of the game to complement one another. We are exploring opportunities to connect real-world in-store play with digital play. We are still developing and evolving our plans, but we want your Magic gameplay to be part of a larger, integrated experience over time, in ways that have never been possible before.

aidan

I would expect to see features/formats from MTGO *slowly* drop over the years as they add those features to MTG:Arena.

Yep. Arena will be the platform that supports Standard/Drafts, whereas MTGO will slowly shift over to an Eternal-focused platform.

I would expect to see features/formats from MTGO *slowly* drop over the years as they add those features to MTG:Arena.

Yeah, they can't come out and say it but I imagine they want this to slowly replace MTGO over the next few years. They want to move to a world where every streamer is using Arena and not MTGO.

aidan

I've been running the stream in the background while they work, but not really watching the video. Have they shown how priority/instants work?

bigkrev

It looks about how I expected. I'm watching without sound, but there doesn't appear to be a "bluff" window when your opponent casts spells, which is bad.

The business model is going to be key here. You can't copy Hearthstone here- If you want to have pros stream constructed here, you can't expect them to grind.

I'll never forget Brian Kibler playing in a Hearthstone tournament having to grind games as a Hunter to unlock basic cards, just so he could have a legal 5th deck.

This will need to have a way to just pay $$$$ and get a complete deck, like MTGO does from bots

Also, as someone who plays Hearthsone with sounds off and wishes you could turn dumb animations off, if that is not an option here, this product is a non-starter for me

aidan

I'm really grateful that they didn't copy Hearthstone and make Planeswalkers (and/or specifically the Gatewatch) the face of the game/player avatars.

I've been running the stream in the background while they work, but not really watching the video. Have they shown how priority/instants work?

Not totally sure but Gaby just cast an instant in the declare blockers phase. Couldn't tell if your opponent has to pass priority during main phases or not.

Ashodin

I'm really grateful that they didn't copy Hearthstone and make Planeswalkers (and/or specifically the Gatewatch) the face of the game/player avatars.

I think they'll be going further in the direction of customizing yourself - sleeves, player avatars, Boros Legion badges, etc.

There's a LOT they could do here.

El Topo

If Duels is any indication they're gonna sell avatars for money. That and other things (such as sleeves).

There's a LOT they could do here.

I'd expect them to take the customization/monetization in Duels to the next level.

bigkrev

One last point: If Ixilan is going to be the first set on this, and they aren't going back- the replacement format for Modern will start with Kaladesh, not with M15 like Frontier

Ashodin

The creature enter effects last a little too long for my tastes? Hearthstone's are short, sweet, and sometimes jokey

Growing Rites of Itlimoc 2G
Leg Enchant
When ~ ETB, look at top four cards of library, Get a creature card, put rest on bottom.
At end step, if you have four creatures, transform it

Itlimoc
Legendary Land
T: Add G
T: Add G to your mana pool for every creature you control

fucking Gaea's Cradle bitches

It looks about how I expected. I'm watching without sound, but there doesn't appear to be a "bluff" window when your opponent casts spells, which is bad.

There is, they were playing fast. Every cast card appears to need approved. You can't have priority passing without bluffing.

People acting like this doesn't look like hearthstone are crazy, so many visual cues being taken here.

It sounds like they haven't decided on a business model yet and that's what I'm actually most interested to hear.

aidan

New card:

DknO1Ll.png

Edit: Seems good.

Nachos

Ain't gonna lie; I know nothing of Magic, but a lot of this UI looks like what you'd get if there were a CSI episode of digital card games.

I really want this to be good, though.

Top Bottom