• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Supast4r

It drives me crazy that WOTC knows that nobody likes punisher cards but they make them constantly in every set.

The tribal Vampire synergy was never particularly good to begin with in SOI. I don't think it seems that great even now.
Casuals love them. I know do many casuals who drool over them. Also vexing devil and great revel are examples of the Punisher mechanic working at a high level.

kirblar

Casuals love them. I know do many casuals who drool over them. Also vexing devil and great rebel are examples of the Punisher mechanic working at a high level.
Tribute: Never forget.

I'll never understand how MaRo didn't intuitively understand that the mechanic was a terrible idea immediately and how it made it all the way to print.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There are male captains referenced in the story and flavor text. Not sure if any are pirate captains though.

Captain Angrath is pretty specifically a male and is pretty clearly a Pirate Captain.

siHNE5o.png

Captain storm????????

Captain Storm looks like a female to me.

gY37W6B.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not flavor, it's power level.

I mean, that's true, but I also think it can be overrated. In format's power is high enough or aggressive enough it's not nearly as good because Pathing a 2 drop kind of sucks.

kirblar

I mean, that's true, but I also think it can be overrated. In format's power is high enough or aggressive enough it's not nearly as good because Pathing a 2 drop kind of sucks.
Pathing a Hierarch during their upkeep was often a thing back when Conflux was standard legal.

Angry Grimace

Pathing a Hierarch during their upkeep was often a thing back when Conflux was standard legal.

Sure, but Hierarch itself is kind of busted.

I'm just a little dismayed that unconditional removal starts at 4 mana now. I don't get why that kind of escalation really needs to be a thing.

Justin

Amaz is reviewing the set on his stream right now and his viewers are alternating between being pissed he isn't playing HS and completely confused with how magic is played. Its pretty entertaining.

Angry Grimace

I'm never getting a push at this point getting matched against UW every time.

Isn't the eternalize guy better? 3 mana only gains 2 but comes back as a 4/4 gaining 4

Neither of them are Arashin Cleric.

I'm a little surprised at how little this set tries to punish red aggro.

Angry Grimace

Semi-serious question: is there an actual way to kill Carnage Tyrant in limited beyond "have a deathtouch blocker or 6 power of blocking or Settle the Wreckage?"

Tunoku

Been out all day playi- uh waiting for a nats trial to fire. Won round 1 and then lost round 2 to a mull to 5 in games 2 and 3. At least I managed to 3-0 my draft afterwards and get a Fatal Push using a sweet 4-Color deck with 6 deserts.

Lucario

Looks like explore is almost entirely on above the curve aggressive limited creatures, so I'm back to not understanding it.

Looking like another limited format where blocking isn't good :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amaz is reviewing the set on his stream right now and his viewers are alternating between being pissed he isn't playing HS and completely confused with how magic is played. Its pretty entertaining.
They shouldn't be. He plays limited regularly

Is there a reason to use that site over another like scryfall?

Hmm, to be honest, I haven't used that site a ton. But I will give it a go. Though, my initial search has an error:

Red
Common
Alliances

Returns 10 cards, instead of 11 - misses Death Spark.

Scryfall

Gatherer

That said, it seems more reliable than magiccards.info, already :) So thanks!

EDIT: I take that back, GATHERER has the error. Death Spark is Uncommon in Alliances. Hmm, that's interesting lol

Justin

Semi-serious question: is there an actual way to kill Carnage Tyrant in limited beyond "have a deathtouch blocker or 6 power of blocking or Settle the Wreckage?"

On one hand i want to say it doesn't really matter because its a mythic so it will show up very rarely. On the other hand it seems like someone opened up a god every damn HOU draft.

Glix

Hmm, to be honest, I haven't used that site a ton. But I will give it a go. Though, my initial search has an error:

Red
Common
Alliances

Returns 10 cards, instead of 11 - misses Death Spark.

Scryfall

Gatherer

That said, it seems more reliable than magiccards.info, already :) So thanks!

EDIT: I take that back, GATHERER has the error. Death Spark is Uncommon in Alliances. Hmm, that's interesting lol

Alliance rarities are mega weird IIRC. Like U1 and U2 and R1 and R2 but I could be mixed up with Homelands?

Angry Grimace

Capitivating Crew is a much dumber bomb in limited than Carnage Tyrant. Carnage Tyrant is just a big dude.

Angry Grimace

If you put Spell Swindle and Marionette Master in your deck it's the randomest combo but you win on the spot a lot because you swindle something they tapped out for and then cast the Master and blow them out. It's funny but I doubt it's viable.

Is there a reason to use that site over another like scryfall?

mc.i has fairly comprehensive foreign card data which scryfall still doesn't, but otherwise no. Scryfall is kept very up to date (like, the whole Ixalan spoiler is in already while mc.i doesn't even have Iconic Masters.)

Up until Alliances, the contents of card packs and the types of collation were much less consistent than they are now. Starting with Mirage every set was a pack of 11 commons, 3 uncommons and 1 rare regardless of size, but before that there were small packs with 8 cards or 12 cards, and wildly varying numbers of occurrences per sheet -- kind of the same way that mythics work now, but without a formal rarity difference.

Most importantly, the result of this is that a lot of cards aren't in practice the rarity of the sheet they're printed on -- the "rares" in the old small sets were all U1s vs. the U3s we consider uncommons, and there were a few wacky cards like Maze of Ith that's now considered an "uncommon" despite being printed as a C1 vs. C4s for everything else on the common sheet. tl;dr old set rarity is weird and sometimes there's multiple possible answers that are in some way "right."

Boogiepop

So what should I expect from the "Open House" thing? Going with a friend tomorrow, looks like. I'm more or less a newbie to the game at this point because I really just have some light experience with the game from when I was younger, buuuut I'd say I do have the rules down outside of when you get into the nitty-gritty of specific card interactions in specific circumstances or whatever. So no idea if this'll be a worthwhile thing for me or not, but may as well give it a shot.

Angry Grimace

I asked the most recent counterspell guy what his plan was to beat Desert Red and even just a plain ol' Carnage Tyrant and his answer seemed super christmaslandy. Like his answer involved double blocking with the Scarab God and Torrential Gearhulk.

Justin

So what should I expect from the "Open House" thing? Going with a friend tomorrow, looks like. I'm more or less a newbie to the game at this point because I really just have some light experience with the game from when I was younger, buuuut I'd say I do have the rules down outside of when you get into the nitty-gritty of specific card interactions in specific circumstances or whatever. So no idea if this'll be a worthwhile thing for me or not, but may as well give it a shot.

If you want the free welcome deck and promo card then you should go. Usually they will have a store employee there to walk you through a game or if you know the rules they will just make themselves available for questions that come up.

I asked the most recent counterspell guy what his plan was to beat Desert Red and even just a plain ol' Carnage Tyrant and his answer seemed super christmaslandy.
Scarab God is the answer once again. From my experience you can go from fearing for your life to killing them in 1 swing fairly quickly because you get all their guys back hasty and 4/4s

Up until Alliances, the contents of card packs and the types of collation were much less consistent than they are now. Starting with Mirage every set was a pack of 11 commons, 3 uncommons and 1 rare regardless of size, but before that there were small packs with 8 cards or 12 cards, and wildly varying numbers of occurrences per sheet -- kind of the same way that mythics work now, but without a formal rarity difference.

Most importantly, the result of this is that a lot of cards aren't in practice the rarity of the sheet they're printed on -- the "rares" in the old small sets were all U1s vs. the U3s we consider uncommons, and there were a few wacky cards like Maze of Ith that's now considered an "uncommon" despite being printed as a C1 vs. C4s for everything else on the common sheet. tl;dr old set rarity is weird and sometimes there's multiple possible answers that are in some way "right."
I believe he was referring to how that card showed up in a common search on Gatherer despite Gatherer itself listing it as uncommon.

Boogiepop

If you want the free welcome deck and promo card then you should go. Usually they will have a store employee there to walk you through a game or if you know the rules they will just make themselves available for questions that come up.
Ah, cool, sounds good. Thanks.

Angry Grimace

Scarab God is the answer once again. From my experience you can go from fearing for your life to killing them in 1 swing fairly quickly because you get all their guys back hasty and 4/4s

You don't have any other guys in a counterspell deck

Top Bottom