• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Chapin just said on stream something about the original artists not resigning because they wanted a deal that gave them a percentage.

Weird how that came up tonight of all nights.

I'm really surprised to see that MTG Salvation is actually taking Garruk pretty well.

As for flying versus intimidate, I think the following factors are in play:
1. Flying has just been around longer.
2. If you play an intimidate deck against an artifact creature deck or a deck of the same color, you're basically screwed. With flying, they can only be blocked by creatures with flying or reach, as opposed to any creature an opponent can pull out. The swing between usefulness and uselessness is just too big for Wizards' taste.
3. Each color has a common (in frequency) in-color way to handle flying, while this is less so the case with intimidate. Green has reach and anti-flying spells, red has direct damage and rare fliers, black has creature destruction and fliers, blue has fliers, and white has fliers. Meanwhile, for intimidate, outside of being in the same color or using artifact spells, you effectively treat it as an unblockable creature that has to be handled with spells or abilities. If you're playing green, it's a bit easier call to sideboard in reach creatures and anti-flying spells than it is to bring in artifact creatures and fight spells.

Crocodile

I don't disagree that Intimidate is more swingy, I disagree that it's so swingy as to be a problem, especially when you take into account its benefits. It is good for the game that Jund colors have a mechanic that says "sometimes this creature is straight up unblockable" given the color pie and flavor constraints of flying.

EN_g684608hv2.png

Well, this is a very playable card.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm on the side of shadow and intimidate not being something that needs fixing. Those colors need something like that and they're both flavorful and not used very often. They haven't been a dominate set of keywords in forever, though they have been giving the blanket "this card can't be blocked" to blue for a while.

Other than that, it hasn't been used on any card in the past what, 5 years or so that was broken in any way. I can't even think of a card it was on, tbh. If that's the problem, that's the fault of R&D being needlessly scared of something that is of a magnitude less powerful than hexproof. No need to fix what clearly isn't broken.

6->7 is huge.

True, but the difference in 7 with green and the amount of ramp available and 6 with double white in the casting cost is pretty large too. If this gets played, it's going to land quicker than Elspeth would in the decks that play her. The question is whether G/B players would rather be doing something else with that mana. Golgarruk is an intriguing card. Not sold on it yet, but I dunno. Something about cards with a lot of abilities and a lot of words sort of make my fingers twitch.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It is a tad monochrome. It might have made sense in Innistrad block but in a core set it looks a bit out of place.

red13th

New Garruk is expensive, not sure I care about it.
At least they reprinted Chord of Calling. Considering when they brought back Exalted they didn't reprint Hierarch, I wasn't so sure they would do the right thing this time.

f0rk

New Garruk is expensive, not sure I care about it.
At least they reprinted Chord of Calling. Considering when they brought back Exalted they didn't reprint Hierarch, I wasn't so sure they would do the right thing this time.
Yeah I thought the same, although Hierarch is multicoloured which they don't like to have in a core set.

OnPoint

Alright, so I had the night to sleep on how I feel about Golgarruk, And I feel like at 7 mana, it's a shame he doesn't do more to end the game. Yeah, he has 4 abilities. But when I look at the other 7+ mana planeswalkers (Karn, Nicol Bolas), they both do more to have an immediate impact. Sure Garruk kills a creature, but it brings him down to two loyalty to do so. Killing an opposing PW seems nice, but then I think about how you'd probably want that ability against control, and if that's the case, getting a 7 mana Garruk Dissolved does not sound fun. His other +1 gums up the board a little, but I still feel like he doesn't have as immediate an impact as I would have liked.

Despite this, I was thinking about brews with him, because why the hell not?

Jund Golgarruk
It's a pretty single-minded strategy of building mana to get Golgarruk out, while having other threats to possibly pour mana into (Polukranos, Stormbreath, overloaded Mortars). Disruption is key as you won't be doing anything super powerful early on. I feel like the disruption should be enough that once you land big daddy Garruk, he'll be able to clean up what's left and do some real work. It's not an exact amount of spells and lands, rather just a sketch.
Creatures
4x Elvish Mystic
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Courser of Kruphix
3x Polukranos
3x Stormbreath Dragon

Spells
4x Abrupt Decay
4x Doom Blade/Hero's Downfall
3x Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers
3x Xenagos the Reveler
3x Garruk, Apex Predator

Lands
X Forest
X Mountain
X Swamp
X Temples
4x Mana Confluence

Junk Golgarruk
This one I'm a little less sure about, the creature suite should display that pretty clearly. I still like the idea of ramping since you're looking to cast big spells for an insurmoutable endgame. Despite this uncertainty with the creatures, I feel like having a full suite of Junk planeswalkers is pretty powerful. Obviously you can't have two Ajani out at once, but I feel like they'll both have different applications at different points of the game, and the 2/1 split means you probably won't be sitting on multiples before one of them dies or is used up all the way. We're going in on disruption again but a little lighter, while adding in Unflinching Courage to give your Mystic and Courser a little bit of extra value as well.

Creatures
4x Elvish Mystic
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Courser of Kruphix
3x Blood Baron of Viskopa

Spells
4x Abrupt Decay
4x Doom Blade/Hero's Downfall
3x Unflinching Courage

Planeswalkers
2x Ajani Steadfast
1x Ajani Mentor of Heroes
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3x Garruk, Apex Predator

Lands
X Forest
X Plains
X Swamp
X Temples
4x Mana Confluence

OnPoint

Garruk is a pretty nice thing to ramp into with Nissa's untap 4 forest ability.

I considered that, but I felt like in the brews I put up above, she wouldn't work.

Now, if you did a more mono-Green version with a splash for black (Temples, Confluence, pain lands), I could see it coming in and doing work. Golgarruk probably would be at home in a more Rock-styled deck anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Meaning lots of ramp in Mongolia Set!

red13th

MTGSalvation says that it's Trostani in the new art for Chord? That's pretty cool since it was a Selesnya card in the original Ravnica.

Man that card sucks lol

I guess if you open Burning Anger it's pretty ok but other than that it's a pretty miserable draft card. Marked by Honor might be a stretch unless you're super controlling.

boonweavergiant.jpg

Pretty neat, though it's a shame these aura-seeking cards in M15 can't get bestow creatures.

Auratouched Mage into Pollenbright Wings was one of my favorite Timmy plays in Ravnica limited. I wonder if there's anything juicy to get with it?

I mean, it's 7 mana, but it looks like everything in M15 is expensive.

So, it's a slightly more expensive/easier to cast Soverigns of Lost Alara? If only Eldrazi Conscription were legal!

Except Sovereigns tutors Conscription onto other creatures. MASSIVE difference. If this said ETB, tutor an aura and attach it to target creature you control it'd be played in Standard.

Grakl

dWjiSAF.jpg

Aether Spiral Twister
3UU - Rare
Instant
For each attacking creature, its owner chooses to put it on the top or bottom of his or her deck.

Wichu

dWjiSAF.jpg

Aether Spiral Twister
3UU - Rare
Instant
For each attacking creature, its owner chooses to put it on the top or bottom of his or her deck.

Supercharged Aetherize for an extra blue mana? Nice. I have a feeling this will see play in Commander.

Some dude left a box behind with ~$350 worth of modern playables at last week's FNM.

The guys left it with me since they thought it was my friend's, but I guess he never even went so now we're trying to find out who left it.

That's gotta suuuuuuck.

rCIZZLE

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";118977269]Some dude left a box behind with ~$350 worth of modern playables at last week's FNM.

The guys left it with me since they thought it was my friend's, but I guess he never even went so now we're trying to find out who left it.

That's gotta suuuuuuck.[/QUOTE]

Just tell your LGS to keep an eye out for someone looking for a lost box of modern playables. If they don't care enough to ask a store they've visited for FNM then you shouldn't worry about putting in extra effort to find them. Treat it like you'd treat a 20 you found on the sidewalk at that point. :p

rCIZZLE

Damn that looks nice. Shame I'm pretty sure I can't go.

As dumb as it is, I'm thinking about driving out there for side events on Friday and to register just for the playmat then drive home early in the morning for my friend's afternoon wedding. Depends greatly on when they have the rehearsal dinner though.

edit: ehh double post but fuck it. early start on chasing the top 10 for OT3 >:|

ultron87

That certainly deals with the traditional weakness of Slivers. That thing demanding a Detention Sphere or Banishing Light seems pretty scary.

bigkrev

You're crazy if you think this is going to be less than 5 dollars in three years.

It just seems so much less cool than Sliver Overlord, which is a 10-12 dollar card. Queen and Legion derive a ton of value from the fact that there just aren't that many copies in existance of either one- there will be boatloads of this card floating around.

And if you are going to build a Sliver EDH deck, you probably aren't picking this as your general.

One of my friends plays a sliver EDH deck, and that is exactly the effect he's been looking for. He might actually be willing to make it his general just to have guaranteed access to that effect at his fingertips. That card is terrifying.

Heck, even in something like Modern Slivers, that card is terrifying. *shudder*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom