• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah I've never liked Blizzard's style. Just isn't for me. Like, I'm all about goofy and I'm all about cartoony but something about the way they implement it just...

Blizzard characters so often look like they're cosplaying as themselves, if that makes sense. League of Legends has a similar problem for me

That trailer didn't look very Ravnica-esque to me at least though. Like, even magic worlds have cities.

Went 2-0-1 for 2nd place at today's draft. I was playing against two rather new players though with one of them I ended up drawing. One of them tried to use Inventor's Goggles as a combat trick which I let him rewind to mainphase 1.

I never know the manners when playing with newbies as to when and how to give tips. I told my opponent he should / can hold onto lands since he had the rummage 3/2 and would otherwise be helbent. I just don't know if I'm overstepping bounds.

Got shit for value in my prize packs, EV of KLD really sucks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hearthstone thread has me thinking about how, as frustrating as the mana/land system is, and as flawed as it actually is, the variance/curve issue really is a problem that CCGs are still trying to crack

Maledict

Ravnica is just a poor copy of Sigil from Planescape, so I'm not going to hold it too much against Blizzard for copying some themes. (And it's only themes at best, Gadgetzan isn't anything like Ravnica in terms of lore or setting).

Hearthstone thread has me thinking about how, as frustrating as the mana/land system is, and as flawed as it actually is, the variance/curve issue really is a problem that CCGs are still trying to crack

I mean, in terms of curve/Variance in the big Card Games that I know the rules (Hearthstone, Magic, and Pokemon) Hearthstone just chucks RNG at it and acts like it's solved, Magic has the land/mana rules, and Pokemon..well, nearly every deck runs 4x Professor Sycamore, a card that probably would be banned in every format if it existed in Magic. They try to solve the variance problem by giving everyone access to stupidly powered draw/tutors.

Wait a sec they did print cards that removes poison counters
leeches.jpg

Yeah, Hearthstone is having to constantly invent kinds of randomness to put in because a deterministic Hearthstone is basically a terrible game. They finally hit on something pretty good with Discover which lets them add a similar kind of uncertainty to what you get from the mana system (and was designed by former MTG designer Mike Donais!) but it's still an ongoing challenge.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";222933119]If your plan is to ban proactive threats rather than printing broad answers you're just going to keep banning proactive threats until the end of time.[/QUOTE]

They don't design for Modern though.

Speaking of hearthstone they just spoiled effectively lotus petal when 2 different variants of dark ritual already will forever be standard legal. Given HS storm cards are much worse but blizzard isn't afraid to print busted shit yet.

Violet_0

Banned
Speaking of hearthstone they just spoiled effectively lotus petal when 2 different variants of dark ritual already will forever be standard legal. Given HS storm cards are much worse but blizzard isn't afraid to print busted shit yet.

they can always nerf broken cards, it ain't much of a problem when you're all digital
like, I played a few games recently and the knife thrower and sergeant are weaker, the tree ancient or whatever only draws one card and the vulture is much more expensive now, for example. I don't even know what they were thinking with the mana golem

Wulfric

What's the best place to learn Kaladesh draft? I've done 3 drafts so far and lost a chance at prizes last night on MTGO. I think I am getting better at it, but not quite there yet.

And do draft and sealed share the same viable archetypes? There is a sealed PPTQ next weekend, and for $30 I figured I would give it a shot for some Grand Prix practice.

they can always nerf broken cards, it ain't much of a problem when you're all digital
like, I played a few games recently and the knife thrower and sergeant are weaker, the tree ancient or whatever only draws one card and the vulture is much more expensive now, for example. I don't even know what they were thinking with the mana golem

Yeah they nerfed Knife Juggler early this year, the sergeant a couple weeks ago and buzzard a long time ago. There was a time buzzard + unleash the hounds cost like 5 or 6 mana and drew 3 cards on average.

Yeah they nerfed Knife Juggler early this year, the sergeant a couple weeks ago and buzzard a long time ago. There was a time buzzard + unleash the hounds cost like 5 or 6 mana and drew 3 cards on average.

I started playing Hearthstone again just recently and was surprised by all the nerfs.

So Kaladesh Showdown is pretty much dead? Not a single local game store is hosting this event.

Edit: Nevermind, one store is actually hosting this event several times.

I started playing Hearthstone again just recently and was surprised by all the nerfs.

So Kaladesh Showdown is pretty much dead? Not a single local game store is hosting this event.
Can't tell you about the ancient of war changes as I wasn't playing at the time but the recent nerfs have mostly been good. The issue is that classic remains in standard and as such the best card from it can't be too good especially not when they are cheap.

I'm not seeing any showdowns at my place either only the store I dislike is holding them.

Wulfric

My LGS (casual oriented) is starting to host them the 26th. I think Saturday is a bad day for this event, particularly for "competitive" stores who host PPTQS, GPTs, or *gasp* Yu-Gi-Oh!

MoxManiac

What's the best place to learn Kaladesh draft? I've done 3 drafts so far and lost a chance at prizes last night on MTGO. I think I am getting better at it, but not quite there yet.

And do draft and sealed share the same viable archetypes? There is a sealed PPTQ next weekend, and for $30 I figured I would give it a shot for some Grand Prix practice.

I'd recommend listening to the Limited Resources podcast and watch some live MTGO drafts on youtube. Channelfireball has some good ones.

Violet_0

Banned

oh I know, I've been around in the beta and a few months afterwards. Still, everytime I play the game I delete again after a couple matches because one thing or another annoys me to no end, one of them being that you can't compete with opponents who have access to a much wider range of cards. Which is alright because I value my time more these days anyway

Ghostly Prison against Infect, dece
oh I know, I've been around in the beta and a few months afterwards. Still, everytime I play the game I delete again after a couple matches because one thing or another annoys me to no end, one of them being that you can't compete with opponents who have access to a much wider range of cards. Which is alright because I value my time more these days anyway

I've gotten back into it with Wotog when they were giving away boosters and while I never had a sizeable collection I just dusted everything I had all the way down to commons to build a couple classes and built up my collection from there. I spent only 10€ total on HS, it scratches that itch and playing is free compared to Modo and also has a functionable mobile version and even works better on my surface pro.

Santiako

Simian Spirit Guide beatdown + Ghostly Prison beats infect apparently lol.

RW Blood moon beats Infect 2-1 with SSG beats.

Now Zooicide vs Affinity timeshifted match

Jhriad

Apparently GP Dallas is the largest GP ever in Texas after they extended the cap to 2018. Certainly looks packed though the hall is a tad smaller than the one in Houston.

Santiako

Round 3 in Dallas

BR Eldrazi vs Dredge

Turn 1 mainboard Relic of Progenitus shieeet (dredge won anyways)

dredge is so getting banned, deck is disgusting with cathartic reunion.

Yeef

Standard Showdown is like Game Day; you can only schedule it for 4 specific Saturdays starting Nov. 26.

Round 3 in Dallas

BR Eldrazi vs Dredge

Turn 1 mainboard Relic of Progenitus shieeet (dredge won anyways)

dredge is so getting banned, deck is disgusting with cathartic reunion.

Cathartic Reunion just made Dredge only fold to Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void, because every other card still gives them either time to kill before it can do damage(Relic/Cage) or allows them to just cast Grave Troll with a crapton of counters.

It's either eating a Ban in some form or Amonkhet is going to bring some serious Gravehate(is it too late to hope for Rest in Peace the Creature ala Eidolon of Rhetoric was for Rule of Law?)

Santiako

Cathartic Reunion just made Dredge only fold to Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void, because every other card still gives them either time to kill before it can do damage(Relic/Cage) or allows them to just cast Grave Troll with a crapton of counters.

It's either eating a Ban in some form or Amonkhet is going to bring some serious Gravehate(is it too late to hope for Rest in Peace the Creature ala Eidolon of Rhetoric was for Rule of Law?)

Yeah, RIP in a 2/2 body for WW or 1W would be great.

These RW Blood moon decks are looking pretty good today.

Edit: jinxed it

Honestly, the only reason why he won game 1 was off of SSG getting to help cast sweepers.

Arbiter keeps on earning his nickname of "Cat Jesus" in my deck. That punt in Game 2 was hard to watch.

Not sure how I feel about Craig being on Eldrazi and taxes though, it feels wrong after seeing him top 8 Pittsburg with GW Hatebears.

Ravager61

Hey guys, haven't posted in here much but I have been getting back into Magic in the past couple months and have been drafting quite a bit Kaladesh. This might be the most fun draft format since original Ravnica for me.

I just 3-0's my league with this insane deck. At one point I had both Restoration Gearsmiths and was just blocking all their stuff and chaining them over and over. First trophy!

EFE1QNZ.png

Santiako

CFB killing it with the coverage, nonstop matches and none of those 30 minute waits from SCG.

Edit: the fuck? Ari Lax with a card that's not supposed to be in his deck lol

CFB killing it with the coverage, nonstop matches and none of those 30 minute waits from SCG.

Edit: the fuck? Ari Lax with a card that's not supposed to be in his deck lol

SCG still has the best commentators, but Channel Fireball is giving them a run for the money in several other aspects.

Also, lol at these two hyper Aggro/Combo decks being paired against each other. KFC vs Kamikazoo

hermit7

Don't you mean searchable off of Recruiter?

Maybe make it be a 1/3 for 2 or something.

That I did.

I mean the effect itself isn't something that is too good, tormods crypt is zero mana, relic is only one and a tap. Maybe a 1/1 for 2 or make it an evoke for 2 with a regular cmc of 4 would make it more reasonable then it doesn't get blown up by decay.

Daedardus

Been away from Magic for a couple of weeks time since the release of Kaladesh. Did anything substantially new come from the Modern GP today?

bigkrev

Been away from Magic for a couple of weeks time since the release of Kaladesh. Did anything substantially new come from the Modern GP today?

Ari Lax was playing Restore Balance on stream. It looked awful

Osyp played against RW Nahiri Prison with Infect in round 2 on camera and was destroyed by it

Daedardus

Ari Lax was playing Restore Balance on stream. It looked awful

Osyp played against RW Nahiri Prison with Infect in round 2 on camera and was destroyed by it

Do you have a decklist or outline for that RW Prison deck? I assume it runs some mix of Ensnaring Bridges, Blood Moon and mass removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom