• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

shit that seems crazy. Scissors for days

SO THIS DECK????????????

Turn 1 Oath of Nissa
Turn 2 Oath of Ajani
Turn 3 Tezzeret???????
Turn 4 ????????????
Turn 5 win

Tezzeret the Schemer? Come the fuck on. Makes him sound like this guy.

CUMWZIMU8AAWNLs.jpg

I know you're right,but it makes no sense to me. Black should be the "sacrifice something living to gain something else" color. I know rituals are a red thing these days, but it just feels black in every way except that.

So what, we've got Tezzeret as Robbie Rotten, Saheeli as Symetra, Dovin Baan as Grand Admiral Thrawn.

That's 3 alters I need to be done for EDH eventually.

Firemind

I wish Time Vault was back in the cube. Combo decks are so hard to draft now lol. Draft Griselbrand, see no reanimation spells. Force storm, see no storm spells. Emrakul, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Don't see the issue with a UB card generating mana. OG Tezz could get you any mana rock and even artifact lands from your library. He's canonically an accomplished artificer, why shouldn't he be able to create lotus petals?
Depending on the context it's kind of like he's a 6-loyalty walker for 3.
with summoning sickness.

OnPoint

Don't see the issue with a UB card generating mana. OG Tezz could get you any mana rock and even artifact lands from your library. He's canonically an accomplished artificer, why shouldn't he be able to create lotus petals?
with summoning sickness.

I personally don't get it myself. Who cares? Let him make artifacts that make mana.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My opponent in this cube was down 67 to 3 and just kept going. He cast Living Death, but I had like 5 fliers including a Baneslayer Angel in my graveyard, a Wurmcoil on the battlefield and a Batterskull. Dude spent like 10 minutes trying to set this up when he really should have avoiding showing me Living Death.

My opponent in this cube was down 67 to 3 and just kept going. He cast Living Death, but I had like 5 fliers including a Baneslayer Angel in my graveyard, a Wurmcoil on the battlefield and a Batterskull. Dude spent like 10 minutes trying to set this up when he really should have avoiding showing me Living Death.

There is something to be said for playing things out but this is just ridiculous.

Interesting that Tezzeret's second ability is +X/-X and that the ultimate animation lasts forever. I wonder if other cards will produce Etherium Cells.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think that might have been the worst feel-bad play for my opponent ever.

He uses Janjeet Sentry to lock down my Renegade Freighter. I use the Freighter to crew a second Freighter.

Image.ashx

Whoops.

Kind of dope when someone plays your cube and then afterwards they're like "here, this would be fun in your cube, let me play with you again sometime" and give you a Sensei's Divining Top.

Guess I can cross that one off the shopping list :D

f0rk

Kind of dope when someone plays your cube and then afterwards they're like "here, this would be fun in your cube, let me play with you again sometime" and give you a Sensei's Divining Top.

Guess I can cross that one off the shopping list :D

Dude was trolling, you don't want to put Top in your cube

traveler

Not Wario
Time for a new Legendrule!

233.jpg
->
1Fie6KF.png

What do you guys think?

Hmm... cool choice for an upgrade, but this one doesn't seem to be "ticking infinitely." What about something like...

At the end of your turn, place a fuse counter on D,TI. Duplee gains Echo X, where X is the number of fuse counters on Duplee.

When DTI's echo cost is paid, create a 0/0 Gnome artifact creature with X +1/+1 counters on it where X is the amount of mana paid for echo, and "Sacrifice this creature: This creature deals X damage to target creature or player, where is X is equal to its power"

Could also iterate on this further and use the experience counters from commander instead of the charge counters for determining echo.

Wulfric

TCGplayer just put out a video of Ralph Levy checking out the MTG community in South Africa. As it turns out, attending GPs is incredibly cost prohibitive when you're guaranteed to be flying across the pond to play. But this group drafting paper vintage cube with beers on the table is making me anxious yet slightly envious.

red13th

Oath of Druids is such a stupid cube card, when you first pick it, it enables drafts that shouldn't really exist in a non-powered cube, but it really sucks as a late pick.
Here's a Temur Oath, Sneak and Show that I drafted (P1P1 Oath), seems fun. T2 Oath gg.

LB6vGVc.jpg

bigkrev

Flip Jace is starting to rise in price again. He was a $23 card on December 1st, and is now a $30 card. Dig through Time is also showing some huge percentage gains- it was a $1 or less card a month ago, and is now pushing $2.

If you think Frontier is going to be real, you need to be buying your cards NOW or you are going to be paying hundreds of dollars more for your deck in the coming weeks/months.

Wulfric

Flip Jace is starting to rise in price again. He was a $23 card on December 1st, and is now a $30 card. Dig through Time is also showing some huge percentage gains- it was a $1 or less card a month ago, and is now pushing $2.

If you think Frontier is going to be real, you need to be buying your cards NOW or you are going to be paying hundreds of dollars more for your deck in the coming weeks/months.

That price memory is gonna be a bitch if the format flops. There's a ton of tiny leaders cards that haven't dropped to their pre-spike prices. On the bright side, if it succeeds your Theros jank rares might actually be worth buylisting! :D

G/R werewolves seems like a fun tribe to run at FNM. Modern has been having trouble with attendance lately, so I've considered having a deck like this in my bag in case it doesn't fire.

4 Arlinn Kord
4 Blossoming Defense
4 Cinder Glade
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
10 Forest
4 Game Trail
3 Geier Reach Bandit
4 Howlpack Resurgence
2 Kessig Prowler
4 Lambholt Pacifist
2 Moonlight Hunt
5 Mountain
2 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
2 Silverfur Partisan
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
1 Timber Gorge
1 Ulrich of the Krallenhorde
3 Village Messenger

3 Clip Wings
2 Hermit of the Natterknolls
2 Moonlight Hunt
3 Natural State
1 Silverfur Partisan
2 Spirit of the Hunt
1 Ulrich of the Krallenhorde
1 Uncaged Fury

red13th

I bought a flip Jace for my husband's EDH deck last week on Star City Games (out of all places) for $25 because Frontier and he was sold out where I usually buy cards.

OnPoint

I bought a couple of flip Jace at rotation and he was not much less than this. I guess I'll complete the playset and just call it a day.

While i'm at it I'll complete my CoCo set as well.

An-Det

Is there a good resource for getting a feel of the format? There doesn't seem to be a subreddit or forum on Salvation (though I could totally be blind), though Goldfish has summary pages that are really helpful.

Aside from a few higher Standard cards that I don't have (new Emrakul, new Lili, flip Jace), the format seems cheap for me to buy in to on the off chance if takes off, and I'm too invested in being the guy with access to any deck I want to stop now.

bigkrev

Is there a good resource for getting a feel of the format? There doesn't seem to be a subreddit or forum on Salvation (though I could totally be blind), though Goldfish has summary pages that are really helpful.

Aside from a few higher Standard cards that I don't have (new Emrakul, new Lili, flip Jace), the format seems cheap for me to buy in to on the off chance if takes off, and I'm too invested in being the guy with access to any deck I want to stop now.

MTGoldfish has a metagame page up for the format https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/frontier#paper

Angry Grimace

The way I've been trying to get around how lame this standard is is by playing Saffron Olive's weirdo budget brews on MTGO since they don't cost very much.

I've been goofing off with the Fabricate/Aristocrats brew quite a bit, but I might be a bit too slow on the decision tree for the deck. If Improvise is actually good maybe it could be decent, but probably not with that lame-as-fuck free spell board wipe. Although then again, a board wipe isn't that great against an Aristocrats deck.

Wulfric

I didn't know this (via blogatog)

Gideon was originally created for a product that was never intended to be seen by the public.

And for what was it created?

It was for a video reel intended to drive interest in Hollywood. The public was not the intended audience is what I was saying.

Apparently the Duels 2012 trailer is what they had shown. It's funny how the "other planeswalkers as allies" idea was kicking around back then. It sure took them awhile to fully implement the Jacetice League.

I didn't know this (via blogatog)

And for what was it created?

Apparently the Duels 2012 trailer is what they had shown. It's funny how the "other planeswalkers as allies" idea was kicking around back then. It sure took them awhile to fully implement the Jacetice League.

I'm pretty sure I read the author for purifying fire created Gideon as a character and was given complete creative freedom in that regard.

Even says so on mtgsalvation
Gideon was completely designed by author Laura Resnick for The Purifying Fire. She was allowed free rein to create his history as she wished so long as he was a white mage who worked for the Order.

Angry Grimace

The bigger problem I'm finding with trying to find anything fun about Standard is that experimenting and brewing isn't even fun because all of the decks other people play are the "good decks" which are inherently un-fun to play against.

Wulfric

I'm pretty sure I read the author for purifying fire created Gideon as a character and was given complete creative freedom in that regard.

Even says so on mtgsalvation

Huh, I didn't know that either. I'm sure there are more than a few characters from the Duels series waiting to used. The same thing happened with Kiora; a minor character was retooled slightly and bam, you've got a character that you can sell a block with.

The bigger problem I'm finding with trying to find anything fun about Standard is that experimenting and brewing isn't even fun because all of the decks other people play are the "good decks" which are inherently un-fun to play against.

This is why I've been building for EDH lately. Sure, I can run werewolves, but I'll still be facing Emmy and Grim Flayer at FNM. And I've done enough KLD limited at this point, so it's all constructed for me until Aether Revolt.

Also Wheel of Fortune is legal in commander. So there's that. :)

Huh, I didn't know that either. I'm sure there are more than a few characters from the Duels series waiting to used. The same thing happened with Kiora; a minor character was retooled slightly and bam, you've got a character that you can sell a block with.

More like a character you sparely use in a set on her goddamn homeplane which she travelled the multiverse seeking for answers and yet gets to do squat to save it so that chandra can burn shit.

Hey, I finally got to be the guy who looks around in his parents' attic at Christmas and finds old Magic cards that are worth a tiny little something today.

I didn't find the Karakas or FoWs I was hoping would also be there. :(

Wulfric

RIP Rudy/Alpha Investments youtube account. He got his google account hijacked and he wiped all his videos.

Aww man, I actually liked his videos. Very little "mtgfinance" of substance, but he's entertaining and I like his mountains of sealed booster boxes as props. Hopefully he can bounce back. Apparently he lost his google adsense money too. :/

Hey, I finally got to be the guy who looks around in his parents' attic at Christmas and finds old Magic cards that are worth a tiny little something today.

I will never not love those mountains. The borders are perfect when the focal point is in the center of the frame.

OnPoint

All in all you did great though. That's a good haul.

Santiako

That's a nice haul. Unglued lands are still the best looking lands.

Yeef

If you mean gameplay-wise, Dack Fayden sees plenty of play in Vintage from what I've heard.

If you mean story-wise, Dack and Ashiok are both on Theros. Dack was the protagonist of the IDW comics when that was still a thing, so I don't know if you can count that as 'underused.'

Vraska was mentioned at the start of Kaladesh's story. She's back on Ravnica and assassinating guild members and generally seeking revenge against the guilds and Jace. She'll probably show up against in Return to Return to Ravnica.

Tibalt and Domri Rade haven't really done anything of note, story-wise as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom