• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I want to be ensared by that bridge.

I don't like the angel's silhouette.

Ornithoper is moe.

MoxManiac

Is it me or are the planeswalkers in the planeswalker decks decent this time around? Mostly from a commander standpoint. Tezzeret seems good for Breya.

Um if anything it's anti Boros colors ... Lol

doesn't correlate

128a.jpg
148.jpg

Joe Molotov

I sleeved'd up Infect for the first time tonight (I used Owen's most recent list), and ended up going 3-1 as I learned the deck at FNM tonight. I beat Jund, WB Tokens and the Mirror, and lost to Bant Eldrazi.

Maybe it's my unfamiliarity with the deck, but I had more mulligans than games played (I had 13 mulligans across the 11 games). I won both games that I was forced to mulligan to 5 to, and won both of them on Turn 3. This deck just seems absurd, and this was with me making likely sub-optiaml SB decisions because I didn't have a guide or anything.

Ha, that's funny. I borrowed my friend's Infect deck for the first time last night (it's pretty similar to that list) and went 3-1 as well. I played Grixis Control twice and Merfolk twice, dropped one round to the Fishes.

Firemind

None of the Masterpieces do anything for me. Now if Lotus Guardian got one complete with errata, but of course angels get the preferential treatment smh

That's cute. If War//Peace was a card, then we'd be in business. But it's not. Light and Shadow also doesn't correlate, nor do any of the other Swords.

Every sword is much more akin to having an affinity than an opposition. They reflect the colours in appearance, name and effect.
Drawing the conclusion they are hate cards just because they lend protection is ludicrous.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Duct tape every sword to masterwork ornithoper.

Throw ornithopter at their face.

For some reason, I feel like they're less pretty this time around.

I like these:
en_L1UZqii5Ve.png
en_5aRyFcq0of.png

And I like the flavor text here:
en_aqeLNInwpo.png

I'm kind of surprised there aren't any Aether Revolt cards mixed in.

Wulfric

Unf, need that Pithing Needle in my sideboard. I'd say these masterpieces are on par with Kaladesh. Arcbound Ravager, Ornithopter, and Engineer Explosives ought to fetch a pretty penny.

I also like how much darker these cards are. The first set of Inventions were flashy and optimistic, but these inventions are the tools of war. Platinum Angel is an interesting choice, flavor wise. I'm not sure how you would go about "inventing" that.

Didn't even notice Wurmcoil Engine. Rad.

For some reason, I feel like they're less pretty this time around.

I'm kind of surprised there aren't any Aether Revolt cards mixed in.

You're right. Duplicant is kind of a dud. Maybe it looks better in person, but I doubt it...

Oh right, they're darker because of the tone change. That makes sense.

By the way, we should start coming up with a title for the next OT. It's just a bit more than a week before spoilers officially start. Plus, there's still a chance that spoilers will really start this Monday, so I'll go ahead and start drafting the OP. I'll post the new thread whenever they put up a mechanics article, if it's before January 2.

Ashodin

Magic: The Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - Get Outta My Sleeves, Get Into My Kiran
Magic: The Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - Micro Machines
Magic: The Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - Graveyards? What's That?
Magic: The Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - Tezzy Tezz and the Funky 'Watch
Magic: The Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - Roads? Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads
Magic: The Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - Oath of Tezzeret: "For the sake of Bolas, I will unleash chaos."
Magic: The Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - Vehicles Two: Aether Boogaloo

I could go on really.

Yeah the Sword of War and Peace has boros colors in the art. and it's sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Platinum Angel's masterpiece looks a LOT like Atraxa or Elesh Norn. Interesting.

Aether Revolt masterpieces. Really nice set of cards. Special shout to ornithopter.

These are very nice. Glad they didn't actually keep everything exciting for the first set; these might be lower value (I don't know, I can't run those numbers off the top of my head) but there's a ton of stuff here for Vintage players to bling out their decks in new ways.

On the one hand, Ornithopter feels like a feel-bad masterpiece to open. On the other hand, it's so pretty!

Are you kidding? Every rich kid asshole is gonna have a set of these in Modern affinity.

Yeef

Are you kidding? Every rich kid asshole is gonna have a set of these in Modern affinity.
I should probably clarify that I mean in limited. Most of the KLD masterpieces are fairly high picks, even ignoring the secondary market incentive. Even if Ornithopter is playable in this format, it likely won't be first pickable, but you'd pick it anyway due to outside factors (like it being pretty).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
On the one hand, Ornithopter feels like a feel-bad masterpiece to open. On the other hand, it's so pretty!
It's one of the most desirable ones to me.

I got a ton of these right too. Even when people insisted they wouldn't do Arcbound Ravager. Not having any reminder text for Modular is hilarious though.

Wulfric

It's one of the most desirable ones to me.

I got a ton of these right too. Even when people insisted they wouldn't do Arcbound Ravager. Not having any reminder text for Modular is hilarious though.

Everytime I see Modular without reminder text I have to look up what it does. No idea why, either.

Does anyone's local community actually trade for these cards though? It took me forever to dump a BFZ Steam Vents, and I almost sold it for cash before finding someone with a LotV. These artifacts have a much narrower niche, and the border is much more divisive to boot.

traveler

Not Wario
No jitte or sunforger is disappointing, even if expected. Rest of the inclusions I wanted made it in though. That lens is beautiful.

Firemind

I should probably clarify that I mean in limited. Most of the KLD masterpieces are fairly high picks, even ignoring the secondary market incentive. Even if Ornithopter is playable in this format, it likely won't be first pickable, but you'd pick it anyway due to outside factors (like it being pretty).
What? Half of them are straight up unplayable in limited.

Yeef

What? Half of them are straight up unplayable in limited.
From KLD? Painter's servant is the only one I'd really consider unplayable. Static Orb toes the line.

Without knowing much about the format until the set is spoiled, from the AER masterpieces, I'd estimate that Trinisphere is unplayable, Black Vise is potential sideboard tech and Ornithopter is okay filler, but usually wouldn't make the cut.

hermit7

Inventions look sweet but I would have no place to put any of them.

D & T would need more from kaladesh, but that is an unrealistic goal.

Might pick up a mana crypt for edh to throw in Marath but aside from that I don't think I need any others.

Wulfric

I honestly think they'll announce the end of the series by the end of next year. There aren't enough money cards (all in a common theme, mind you) to last much past the block after Amonkhet. Unless they reduce the quantity per set to 10 and stretch to include uncommons, WotC is gonna reach the bottom of the well sooner than they expect. They don't all have to be slam dunks though. At least one or two good masterpieces ought to soak up the EV of the set nicely.

Hero

I hope ANK block has a Masterpiece theme of spells that were forbidden and locked away and we "discover" them in tombs and pyramids and stuff.

Would love to see a take on Wrath of God or Armageddon.

Ashodin

I hope ANK block has a Masterpiece theme of spells that were forbidden and locked away and we "discover" them in tombs and pyramids and stuff.

Would love to see a take on Wrath of God or Armageddon.

real talk, the scrolls and Tamiyo was the coolest form of magic used in the stories to date.

I have no idea how they plan to do 100 Masterpiece series cards a year at the rate they just burned through the good ones

They might have to drop the quantity per block down a little bit (I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped even as far down as 15 / 10 for 25 per block) and pad a little more with cards from the actual current set, but I think it's pretty sustainable. Just with creatures alone you could do 20+ different themes if you're willing to get reasonably narrow.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea how they plan to do 100 Masterpiece series cards a year at the rate they just burned through the good ones
Just print the same ones under different series themed around different stuff. It doesn't matter how rare these are, they keep up the perception that WOTC reprints everything even if it doesn't really do anything to help card supply.

Matriox

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays MagicGAF! Didn't get any magic stuff but I got some Pathfinder goodies from my family, now for a day at work but I hope everyone else has a great weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom