• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't followed much in the past couple days.

How is B/R shaping up for rotation with Kaladesh replacing Dragons and Origins? I just whipped up a Rakdos Madness deck for standard and it's fun whipping all the midrange decks out there right now.

I haven't followed much in the past couple days.

How is B/R shaping up for rotation with Kaladesh replacing Dragons and Origins? I just whipped up a Rakdos Madness deck for standard and it's fun whipping all the midrange decks out there right now.

The boogieman right now appears to be Aetherworks Marvel, and the only half-decent artifact destruction spell that can hit it is Fragmentize in white, as far as I can tell. Given that, it looks like white and blue (for counters) will be early favorites, but we'll have to see how things work out in practice.

I just lost a game in standard where I gained approximately 80 life just not in a single turn to win. I went through 2 thirds of my deck looking for a 3rd Paradoxical outcome.
Another match I lost to time against RW vehicles but I was well ahead in that one and would have won eventually.

I'm liking UG aetherstorm, it's nowhere close to being competitive but it's a fun joke deck that can just combo off turn 3 if I draw the nuts.

UG Aetherstorm said:
rggTG8H.png

How much is the Game Day admission usually? If it's not much I'm gonna play it. Should be fairly cheap to compile.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The boogieman right now appears to be Aetherworks Marvel, and the only half-decent artifact destruction spell that can hit it is Fragmentize in white, as far as I can tell. Given that, it looks like white and blue (for counters) will be early favorites, but we'll have to see how things work out in practice.

I've played like 50 matches against 25 different people on beta and played an opposing Aetherworks deck once, not including divisionbyzorro.

White/Red aggro with Toolcraft Exemplar, Inventor's Apprentice and Bomat Courier (!) is what I'm seeing the most - specifically the big thing for the aggro decks is Smuggler's Copter.

Someone did kill me by destroying Aetherworks with Appetite for the Unnatural, but that was because I had just used Aetherworks and put all 3 other Aetherworks on the bottom. You have a lot of scry so if they destroy one it doesn't *always* mean the end of the game. I mean you can miss with Marvel also.

I played a guy on Aetherflux Storm I couldn't beat at all in 2 games, but I suspect he just had great draws since I tried a variant on his list (I didn't know it but I knew all of the cards) and it was horrible.

Green/Black still a thing, but a lot of people aren't playing it because they want to brew.

alternade

Is there a card that lets you cast a creatures from your graveyard without paying its mana cost, like an Omniscience + Animate Dead? I wonder if that would be too strong with all the eldrazi cast triggers

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is there a card that lets you cast a creatures from your graveyard without paying its mana cost, like an Omniscience + Animate Dead? I wonder if that would be too strong with all the eldrazi cast triggers

No. There's lots of card that let you cast instants and/or sorceries from graveyards for free though.

Supast4r

If you can keep a reanimated target on the field than you have won anyway.

I've played like 50 matches against 25 different people on beta and played an opposing Aetherworks deck once, not including divisionbyzorro.

White/Red aggro with Toolcraft Exemplar, Inventor's Apprentice and Bomat Courier (!) is what I'm seeing the most - specifically the big thing for the aggro decks is Smuggler's Copter.

Someone did kill me by destroying Aetherworks with Appetite for the Unnatural, but that was because I had just used Aetherworks and put all 3 other Aetherworks on the bottom. You have a lot of scry so if they destroy one it doesn't *always* mean the end of the game. I mean you can miss with Marvel also.

I played a guy on Aetherflux Storm I couldn't beat at all in 2 games, but I suspect he just had great draws since I tried a variant on his list (I didn't know it but I knew all of the cards) and it was horrible.

Green/Black still a thing, but a lot of people aren't playing it because they want to brew.
Yeah tons of RW, a lot of Gx midrange, couple Marvel and Aetherstorm lists, also a select few UW and WUB control lists. I played against A 5c Gearhulk deck once.
I want to try a GBx control or midrange deck but looking at netdecks from the past seasons I'm just blanking on what to replace Languish with.
With Aetherstorm people seem to still be on the 3CMC cost reduction plan mostly which I think is just worse. Especially post board where you want to side out almost all your creatures depending on the match up.

I thought Metalspinner’s Puzzleknot would be rated slightly higher than the rest. 2 Mana cantrip that puts an artifact on the board and can draw another card later doesn't seem that bad if the deck can make use of it

That surprised me too, but without the additional black mana and cards that care about having artifacts, it does nothing. Without those two, you're better off just running a different card, because you're just spending two mana to lose a life and get a different card.

The fact that sylvan advocate buffs Nissa's +1 is easily overlooked until you get hit by a 9/9 plains.

Hah, I hadn't considered that.

Firemind

I'm already tired of Scars of Mirrodin. :lol

Either I get blown out by Scrapmelter/Glimmerstag when I go metalcraft. Or I get blown out by spell that gives infect and spell that gives +x/+x for every mana.

Onto Innistrad.

I just lost a game in standard where I gained approximately 80 life just not in a single turn to win. I went through 2 thirds of my deck looking for a 3rd Paradoxical outcome.
Another match I lost to time against RW vehicles but I was well ahead in that one and would have won eventually.

I'm liking UG aetherstorm, it's nowhere close to being competitive but it's a fun joke deck that can just combo off turn 3 if I draw the nuts.

How much is the Game Day admission usually? If it's not much I'm gonna play it. Should be fairly cheap to compile.

On a related note, why does Gatherer fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck....

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/S...mc=+=[0]&type=+!["Land"]&format=+["Standard"]

The CMC of the backside of a flip card is NOT ZERO.

Green has an insane base to build out of with Nissas, Sylvan Advocates and Tireless Trackers.

This is my first draft.

Played against an emrakul deck and I was Emrakul'd approximately 6 times because I made some glaring errors but at one time I had ~5 answers to emrakul in hand. I just used them like a moron.
Turns out fragmentize also destroys enchantments and that plusing PWs so their minus is lethal isn't particularly smart if you know Emrakul is coming.

Think I did it, guys.

kjhlkjkqj6m.png

Copter helps with the deck's weakness to flyers and sweepers without dipping into a new color, and the filtering lets me go back down to the 22 lands I wanted to be at originally. I get to cut the 4th Ovi and Recruiter as well as the high variance 5th enchantment. Ovi is great but slow and drawing two is pretty weak unlike Cryptbreaker. Duskwatch is really good at finding Gearhulks but it's another card that's both slow and redundant copies don't add much.

The worst card in my deck is still Hissing Quagmire, but I don't think Aether Hub is worth it in this deck. Also, the Take down should be replaced with something else.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";217405382]Think I did it, guys.

kjhlkjkqj6m.png

Copter helps with the deck's weakness to flyers and sweepers without dipping into a new color, and the filtering lets me go back down to the 22 lands I wanted to be at originally. I get to cut the 4th Ovi and Recruiter as well as the high variance 5th enchantment. Ovi is great but slow and drawing two is pretty weak unlike Cryptbreaker. Duskwatch is really good at finding Gearhulks but it's another card that's both slow and redundant copies don't add much.

The worst card in my deck is still Hissing Quagmire, but I don't think Aether Hub is worth it in this deck. Also, the Take down should be replaced with something else.[/QUOTE]

Naturalize isn't even in Standard.

Angry Grimace

The fact that they put all these artifacts in is why they let Naturalize rotate.

Angry Grimace

Because 1/1 fliers are several times better than 1/1 ground critters.

Yeef

Unless I'm missing something, this will be the first time, since its first printing in Onslaught, that Naturalize won't be legal in Standard.

Ashodin

specifically the big thing for the aggro decks is Smuggler's Copter

Yes, I'm about to try that in my deck as well. I have a versatile three card slot that can fit a lot of different creatures, but I think the copter is just way too good.

I don't think I have room for Bomat Courier; it would take the place of Stone Haven Outfitter.

Tried making a GW version:

kjhlkjwhjoh.png

I think the maindeck is slightly better, but GODDAMN the sideboard options are so much worse outside of Fragmentize. You'd probably be better off getting off the mana plan and just being a midrange deck at this point. Stuff like Oath of Nissa and Angelic Purge.

Currently playtesting Standard on Cockatrice. What server does gaf usually play on?

Main server, just start adding people's names. I'm HeebyGB.

Ashodin

See I think RW vehicles is a natural thing like you see it's there, the lords are there, the pilots, etc

but I think RW Equipment is more "stable" if you get what I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom