• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renegade Freighter was the real deal. I started off playing too many vehicles though, so I lost one game when I had a suite of 4 vehicles out and no one to crew them.

Alright, pre-release in an hour and a half, anyone got any tips? Traps I should avoid?

From what articles are recommending, it's generally much safer to just get the best cards from particular colors rather than worrying about having enough low-cost creatures and such, since artifact creatures have good enough stats to work in that role. Of course, make sure your artifact creatures are good enough for that. My strategy going in will be to form a backbone from artifacts first then add or substitute good colored cards.

Remember to only have a few vehicles, which is something even Wizards will tell you on tip cards. They should be treated like equipment, as they need creatures to work.

For energy, it's best in Sealed to just consider cards on a case by case basis, to see if they're good on their own.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Had some fun at pre-release with a decent enough pool. Went B/R with Pia Nalaar, Syndicate Trafficker and Marionette Master. I feel like I had some exceptionally bad opening-hand-luck though, as I had to mulligan to four twice and even in the rounds I won I had to mull to five twice due to all-landers or no-landers. One game I was stuck on my two opening lands and in another I drew only lands for the first seven turns of the game despite running the regular 17 lands.

Ended up going 2 - 2 - 1.

Someone thought it was a good idea to play Ghirapur Orrery against me when I had a Key to the City in play allowing me to discard anything I couldn't cast. Turns out giving your opponent three cards for free every upkeep while also ramping them will lose you the game. >w> Oddly enough he did not consider taking it out of his deck for the second game even after having it backfire like that.

Joe Molotov

Ugh, my pool was trash. Nissa was my only playable rare, so I tried to make something work in U/G, but there just wasn't enough there.

Out of around 25 people, we had a Sword of Fire and Ice and a Crucible of Worlds pulled.

Ashodin

I really wanted to try vehicles. I only opened one skyskiff between the 6 packs T_T
The menace train (Aradara Express) is legit as fuck

They said the energy card wasn't on the initial print run but I got two last night.

????

We saw four masterpieces

Champion's helm
Sword of feast and famine
Rings of brighthearth

Something else

Second prerelease at 7 later today

Absolutely love the artwork on this set. Not too busy today so I might hit up a pre-release, we'll see. I haven't really been following this set so I can't see myself doing well if I went lol.

Violet_0

Banned
second pre-release event played 2-0 2-0 1-2 with another G/B midrange deck, fourth place again. Still nothing special in my packs, but I got Aetherwroks Marvel, Smuggler's Copter, another Pia and the R/W legendary. I have to check how much these are worth, but I'm guessing not that much. Looks like I go to another pre-event tomorrow, this time Two-Headed Giant

duxstar

my streak of 3 prereleases in a row without a game loss has come to and end =(. Winning a nidnight prerelease getting home at 7 am and going to a noon prerelease + a shit pool was too much to overcome lol. i made play mistakes in round 2 and kept trying to play the funner deck in U/R when i shouldve just played u/w which had actual removal spells. decided to drop so i could get some sleep.

i ended up opening a lightning greaves masterpiece in prize winnings last night along with a Nissa. In my midnight prerelease i played against Torrential gearhulk in almost 8 or 9 games, and destroyed the person who had a chandra.

Violet_0

Banned
haven't seen an actual bomb against any of my 6 opponents now. No demons, dragons, angels or rocs, no planeswalkers, no gearhulks, no legendaries besides my own Oviya, once. Every game was decided by midrange stuff. Feels bad though when your opponent can crew the really big vehicles

I wonder if players share their card pool in THG Sealed

panzone

So, I'm returning from my first prerelease.

It was a really entertaining afternoon. It had a lot of fun playing with the new set and making a deck with it. I create a UW with a little splash of R since I've got a Saheeli + Saheeli Artistry as my promo rare and I really wanted to use her since it's my first planeswalker ever (and she also won a couple of games for me).

Vehicles are more tricky than I expected, since I was in a couple of occasions that I couldn't crew my train without exposing myself too much. Energy is a great mechanic and I want to try to build a deck around it + artifacts.

I also did better than I expected (1-2, 1-1 because of time, 2-1).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
3-1 third place. No real good pulls, but I haven't cracked my prize packs yet. MVPs were that 2/1 viper with activated deathtouch, Welding Sparks and the energy bolt, and the elf who activates to make creatures unlockable by power 2 or less

bigkrev

2-2 with a pretty awful deck. I opened Chandra but the rest of my red was horrific (2 of the 5/2 for 4 and the creature that sacks to kill an artifact were my ONLY red creatures) and I couldn't play it, so I played a bad W/B Aggro deck with almost no removal (Die Young, Fiend Hunter and the deal 3 to attacker/blocker), no tricks or ability to reach, and only beat opponents who got mana screwed.

Santiako

Black felt really bad to me today. It has the worst creatures, lacks evasion and the removal is worse than in white and red and on par with green.

haven't seen an actual bomb against any of my 6 opponents now. No demons, dragons, angels or rocs, no planeswalkers, no gearhulks, no legendaries besides my own Oviya, once. Every game was decided by midrange stuff. Feels bad though when your opponent can crew the really big vehicles

I wonder if players share their card pool in THG Sealed

Yeah, 2HG Shares Cardpool between partners, otherwise you'd get a bunch of mediocre decks.

MoxManiac

Went 3-1 with an aggressive RG deck with multiform wonder being the closest thing I had to a bomb. Lost to skysoverign consul flagship, that card is nuts!

Won 5 prize packs and got pretty much nothing aside from the RW dual. No mythics among the 11 packs. Feels bad man.

The Technomancer

Prize packs had Saheeli, Panharmonicon and the Orrey, all of which will find their way into EDH brews, so I'm pretty happy!

Also my pool had two of the fastlands and the RW dwarf legend

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah, 2HG Shares Cardpool between partners, otherwise you'd get a bunch of mediocre decks.

alright, I figured as much

might have to take a pic of my card pool though, since I'm gonna get paired with another random person

btw I'm pretty sad that everyone just gets 2 packs by default at my store for pre-release events. I could have really cashed in in these tournaments. Then I go to drafts and get nothing
Black felt really bad to me today. It has the worst creatures, lacks evasion and the removal is worse than in white and red and on par with green.
B and W have the most solid cards, imo. It's true that W has better removals (the best, in fact) and G has 1 strong uncommon removal. From my experience with (mostly) simulated sealed pools, I usually always fall back on either B or W to fill out my deck

The Technomancer

Every single person I played against today was running green. That might be an artifact of the Sealed format though.

Man oh man, I know its Sealed but if this was any indication I am going to like this format. I cut my teeth on Lorwyn casual constructed, the most brain melting-ey of formats, keeping track of Vehicle activations and Energy usage had my brain lighting up

Did my first draft on KLD and wasn't blown away. Everyone was green and I didn't see a single vehicle (!) throughout all 3 packs.
Picked up 2 flicker angels but got crap for ETB value.

Violet_0

Banned
Mono red road drags won me 24 packs.

damn

btw, this came up today - my opponent had enchanted one of my creatures with Captured by the Consulate and I wanted to use Hunt the Weak. After a discussion with some of the other players our solution was that I had to cast Hunt the Weak on my enchanted creature, but I could pick a target to fight. Is that correct?

damn

btw, this came up today - my opponent had enchanted one of my creatures with Captured by the Consulate and I wanted to use Hunt the Weak. After a discussion with some of the other players our solution was that I had to cast Hunt the Weak on my enchanted creature, but I could pick a target to fight. Is that correct?

Captured by the Consulate doesn't affect Hunt the Weak, it has two targets.

Violet_0

Banned
Captured by the Consulate doesn't affect Hunt the Weak, it has two targets.

right, that's what I thought too, but some other guys argued that it had "two single targets" or something like that. I was like, alright, let's do it your way then

another guy tried to tell me that he could still block with his vehicle after I had blown it away with an instant, because "stacks" (that was before he declared blockers)

bigkrev

Learned a rule interaction today.

There was a combat phase that involved my Filgree Familiar blocking and dying. I drew my card, which was Impeccible Timing, and called a judge over to ask if I could still cast it even though damage had fully resolved, and was surprised to learn that the answer was yes.

Learned a rule interaction today.

There was a combat phase that involved my Filgree Familiar blocking and dying. I drew my card, which was Impeccible Timing, and called a judge over to ask if I could still cast it even though damage had fully resolved, and was surprised to learn that the answer was yes.

there's an end of combat step after the combat damage step. Super relevant with cards like Blessed Alliance.
blessed%20alliance.jpg
do the blocks so only the creature you want to get rid of remains then make him sac it after the damage.

This may get lost in all of the Standard talk, but what decks are you playing in Eternal formats?

Modern: Jund (with no Grim Flayer) in both paper and MTGO. It's been my favorite deck since the beginning. I've had Pod and Twin built and suffered bannings. Jund takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Jund 'em out. However I've caught the Eldrazi bug so I'm going to go ahead and make that deck in both paper and MTGO but I won't be getting rid of Jund.

Legacy: I have more than one paper Legacy deck, but am looking at building Legacy Eldrazi. On MTGO, I'm undecided but will probably look at a deck to utilize my Goyfs and LotVs as well as Legacy Eldrazi.

Vintage: Colorless Eldrazi (with no Power) once I make the purchase. I'm going to try and learn the format on MTGO and see which deck I'd like to go into, but I'm going to start with the effective Eldrazi.

I'm curious to know what everyone else runs or wants to run, and their opinions of the deck.

Hello friends!

I just started learning how to play Magic: The Gathering a few weeks ago and my friends took me to a prerelease event last night and I had so much fun! Got 8 packs for 12 dollars and had such an unforgettable experience! I didn't do so badly either!

Round 1: Played against someone who were as good as the game as I was. By the time the round was over for the tournament, we were still ankles deep in Game 1! Won by the end though :)

Round 2: Played against a dude who annihalated me. At least he was pretty alright.

Round 3: Faced against the guy who introduced me to Magic and one my closest friends! Game 1 I won by the skin of my teeth, Game 2 I lost by a fair margin, Game 3 I lost by the skin of my teeth.

Overall, it was so much fun!!!

I even got a holographic card! :D
CtFshUrW8AIuciv.jpg

Everyone was too busy yelling at me to sleeve it tho (ewwww). Happy to have it and it definitely pulled its weight! :)

Yeef

Had a super aggressive Boros vehicles deck in Prerelease #3 today. Turn 2 Smugglers Copter into Turn 3 Veteran Motorist won me a lot of games. Turn 3 Salivating Gremlins into turn 4 Visionary Augmenter also won me a lot of games (I had 2 of each).

Since I'm a poor College Student, I've only got enough money to play Modern

Modern: Great White CoCo Hatebears. I'm also slowly but surely trying to build up the pieces of a Bant Super friends Deck I've been testing that seems half decent.

Legacy: I'm eventually planning to work my way into Either Death and Taxes or Maverick, haven't figured out which yet.

Speaking of Modern, anyone have any thoughts on if there's going to be any banlist updates? I'm kind of hoping for the inevitable Simian Spirit Guide Axe, if only because the card fuels Glass Cannon "All In" Combos that break the Turn 4 rule with the same frequency that they brick on going off.

Yeah. So this happened.

6KMaEbjtuYD0q89bTDqjuEKW9rx1w.jpg

I don't even know what to say.

Well, there goes all your luck for the next 10+ pre-releases

Seriously though, congrats on the pulls.

Well, there goes all your luck for the next 10+ pre-releases

Seriously though, congrats on the pulls.

Yeah like, I don't even know how I got 2 of the same masterpiece. I mean I know how it happened. One was in a sealed pool and then Nissa and the other Gauntlet were in but 3 prize packs that I got.

So yeah, I agree. All my luck has to be gone.

bigkrev

I've just been playing Modern lately. Usually play Affinity, but I have been experimenting with storm again for the first time since Seathing Somg was banned. Now that Melira isn't as prominent and Eldrzai/Suicide Zoo are big deals, I think archetype is a good choice again. In the period where Dredge was the boogeyman, I was experimenting with Pyromancer Swath instead of needing either Past in Flames or Ascension for the kill, and I was having some promising results.

The Technomancer

Did anyone else's store have those huge intricate paper-assembled thopters and vehicles hanging from the ceiling? Wizards promotional material game has been on point lately (though my friend who works at the store said they were a pain in the ass to assemble)

Did anyone else's store have those huge intricate paper-assembled thopters and vehicles hanging from the ceiling? Wizards promotional material game has been on point lately (though my friend who works at the store said they were a pain in the ass to assemble)

My store had that too.

By the way, at my prerelease, I went 5-1, getting third place overall, with a BR deck. More details will come tomorrow.

Speaking of Modern, anyone have any thoughts on if there's going to be any banlist updates? I'm kind of hoping for the inevitable Simian Spirit Guide Axe, if only because the card fuels Glass Cannon "All In" Combos that break the Turn 4 rule with the same frequency that they brick on going off.

Good question, and that's a good suggestion as well.

Myself I'd like to see anything banned that hurts Dredge. I really loathe that deck.
And Kaladesh adds another excellent enabler for it.

Ozigizo

I won 2 prerelease in a row. The 1-drop legendary green lady is game winning, if you land her anytime before turn 4. Second prerelease, pulled the angel as my promo and saw it every game to take that prerelease.

No masterpieces, but whatever. Ended up with 3 of both the white and blue hulks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom