• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thought, I hope we get a card like this:

Twilight Sortie - R
Instant
Draw cards equal to the number of Vampire and Werewolf creatures you control.
At the beginning of the next end step, discard your hand.
Was going to call it "Moonlight something", but then I realized...

Or perhaps as an enchantment:

2R
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw cards equal to the number of Vampire and Werewolf creatures you control.
At the beginning of your end step, discard your hand.

I wish bad lands with nice art could somehow be repurposed. Like, this isn't the worst land ever, but if I could have this art as a Basic Plains, I'd buy them:

358.jpg

(PS: Reserved List lol)

Last request for OT thread titles. As far as I can tell, the only one that has consistently gotten multiple votes is "It's only a paper (and digital) moon", with the parentheses to appease charlequin, so I'll go with that if nothing else wins.

From Penny Arcade's thread:

vgHJuLb.png

Brian Braun-Duin: Don't Sleep on Emrakul

In general, here and elsewhere, I see a lot of people talking about Emrakul and seriously undervaluing taking an opponent's turn -- "you're basically just letting them draw for free" or whatever. Dude, if your opponent's deck is so bad that you can't make them fuck themselves over with one stolen turn you probably shouldn't have had any trouble beating them anyway.

Ashodin

In general, here and elsewhere, I see a lot of people talking about Emrakul and seriously undervaluing taking an opponent's turn -- "you're basically just letting them draw for free" or whatever. Dude, if your opponent's deck is so bad that you can't make them fuck themselves over with one stolen turn you probably shouldn't have had any trouble beating them anyway.

That's what I'm saying

How the fuck is not screwing their entire next turn over into abysmal fuckery not nearly game winning?

People just want a retread.

jph139

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208330317]Have you seen those games in person? The game pieces look like melted wax. I dunno if they improved it for the new one but it was pretty bad.

That Sorin art is definitely clean, though.[/QUOTE]

The initial release was godawful - the sculpts were fine but the paintjobs were just abysmal. Melted wax is the perfect description.

They really stepped up for the Zendikar expansion, though, and those minis were very well painted. So I'm hoping they stick with that level of quality.

Overall the game's not bad for a C-tier Heroscape knock-off. The more expansions and army building options the better, though. Heroscape was kind of meh with just the original Master Set too.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
so i guess they had eldritch moon planned before everyone fell out of love with the eldrazi with BFZ. i really hope 'every plane is eldrazi now' isn't their plan going forward.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I legit laughed when I read GB saying Emrakul "gives your opponent a card."

so i guess they had eldritch moon planned before everyone fell out of love with the eldrazi with BFZ. i really hope 'every plane is eldrazi now' isn't their plan going forward.

They moved up a return to Innistrad because someone suggested having Emrakul there and they wanted to do all the Eldrazi stuff in one year. Maro pretty close to implicitly promised there will be zero Eldrazi in Kaladesh.

And yeah, they finished the design on these sets like when Khans was coming out, I think "people will dig an Emrakul set" was a less problematic assumption at that point, and really only went wrong because BFZ got so screwed over by the block switchover.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They just need to invent reasons for the Jacetice League to go somewhere else because I presume the bulk of the Eldrazi plot will get resolved (probably not permanently, like they'll say Ulamog and Kozilek are regenerating and Emrakul's just stuck in the Silver Moon).

I agree that Emrakul is probably better than people are imagining. It's a 13/13 flying trample that's going to be really hard to answer outside of playing Stasis Snare or Clip Wings or something.

With Westvale abbey already so prominent stasis snare should be mainboard in any W/x deck anyway and clip wings in every G/x sideboard.

Fuck the Jacetice league, there was really no reason for Jace to be on Innistrad only to follow Tamiyo's clues. Could have 1:1 have the story be Tamiyo investigating the shit in the first place.
If that's how they're gonna shoehorn the members from now on MTG stories took a turn for the worse still.

Angry Grimace

With Westvale abbey already so prominent stasis snare should be mainboard in any W/x deck anyway and clip wings in every G/x sideboard.

Fuck the Jacetice league, there was really no reason for Jace to be on Innistrad only to follow Tamiyo's clues. Could have 1:1 have the story be Tamiyo investigating the shit in the first place.
If that's how they're gonna shoehorn the members from now on MTG stories took a turn for the worse still.

Clip Wings isn't very good.

Angry Grimace

I mean, its okay, but its really narrow and I rarely want to board it in unless the deck is all in on Dragonlord Ojutai or something. BBD kind of explains why: "To start with, Clip Wings is at best a sideboard card—not even a very good one at that in the current metagame, and it’s kind of a marginal card to bring in against an Emrakul deck that could very well have 0 other flying creatures."

If I had to guess, the Emrakul deck is probably a Mindwrack Demon deck anyways. Maybe. I still haven't gotten that fucker to be as good as I hoped.

Ashodin

Right now, in this standard, clip wings is atrocious. Everything is on the ground, save Mindwrack Demon, Avacyn, and the odd other flyer (Ojutai).

So packing it at all past 2 copies in your board is wasted space.

However, I'm starting to realize that Stasis Snare is pretty good, but damn if we need more ways to deal with Planeswalkers outside of black.

Like, I dunno, say actually good red spells? :p

(No, I'm not trying to make my Boros deck better, I swear!)

We moving to OT proper on Monday?

Ashodin

I'm making the thread Sunday afternoon.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeah I can get my MOON ON

The next coming weeks are going to be wild for me YouTube wise. I'm going to try to create wholly unique videos based on the cards I see.

This Weekend Watercooler I'm working on is a continuation of my Eldritch Moon spoiler plot. The Riptide Project Lab has been hit with a wave of madness/corruption from contacting Emrakul on Innistrad, and Thirteen is caught in the storeroom closet doing his usual update.

I legit laughed when I read GB saying Emrakul "gives your opponent a card."

A bit of a simplification of my point...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207814031]The problem is that unless you can create an actively detrimental situation for your opponent during the turn you steal all his ability does is draw your opponent a card.[/QUOTE]

People are acting like this is a Mindslaver effect, when it's not. Taking control of your opponent's actions is hugely powerful, but a huge part of what makes mindslaver so good is that you also set up your next turn however you like it. The fact that your opponent gets to untap and try to undo the damage you did is a huge difference. Is it a huge swing? Could be. Could not. Maybe you have other creatures and you force your opponent into a bad attack or cast spells to remove their own pernanents. Maybe you don't have a ton of options because your opponent's board is an Ob Nixilis and a hand full of card draw. At least with Mindslaver you could tap your opponent's lands before passing the turn back.

If your opponent has one good creature and you have them attack it into Emrakul and you don't have other relevant impactful plays then all ability was was declaration in stone. It's good, but it's not Mindslaver.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208360314]A bit of a simplification of my point...

People are acting like this is a Mindslaver effect, when it's not. Taking control of your opponent's actions is hugely powerful, but a huge part of what makes mindslaver so good is that you also set up your next turn however you like it. The fact that your opponent gets to untap and try to undo the damage you did is a huge difference. Is it a huge swing? Could be. Could not. Maybe you have other creatures and you force your opponent into a bad attack or cast spells to remove their own pernanents. Maybe you don't have a ton of options because your opponent's board is an Ob Nixilis and a hand full of card draw. At least with Mindslaver you could tap your opponent's lands before passing the turn back.

If your opponent has one good creature and you have them attack it into Emrakul and you don't have other relevant impactful plays then all ability was was declaration in stone. It's good, but it's not Mindslaver.[/QUOTE]

If your opponent has no cards that do anything and no creatures they're gonna lose anyways.

Even mentioning that they get to draw a card is really silly.

If your opponent has no cards that do anything and no creatures they're gonna lose anyways.

Even mentioning that they get to draw a card is really silly.

No, it's not. It's a relevant part of the ability. You don't just ignore downsides because your card has some crazy ability. And the Ob Nixilis example wasn't "no cards that do anything". In fact, you lose the Emrakul in that example. There exist relevant cards in MTG that can't be used to sabotage the owner of those cards.

I've whiffed on Mindslaver and lost more than once, and Emrakul has upsides and downsides on Mindslaver. That's what I'm getting at.

They have more people follow their story and make more money this way.

I'm making the thread Sunday afternoon.

This is gonna be the first time since we switched to the individual set threads that we don't know the set mechanics going into the thread, huh.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208361881]There exist relevant cards in MTG that can't be used to sabotage the owner of those cards.[/QUOTE]

I feel like when you have to assert "well technically there are cards someone could have that don't help you ruin them with a stolen turn" it kind of indicates how think the argument is here.

so, I recently went to a toyfair in my country and there's a magic booth there, they give out demo pack with 30 card while showing people how to play the game. I had some fun with it so I want to see the pc game version. apparently it used to be yearly releases and there's so many of them at Steam. there's Duel of Planswalker 2015, than this year they changed to F2P Magic Duels?

do they all have different cards? I see from Magic website, there's a lot of cardset

http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/products/card-set-archive

so,. in general, is it a good idea to just play the latest cardset? so that's Magic Duels f2p or if I want to collect real cards, get the Shadow over Innistrad block?

looking at the cardset logo, the demo pack I got is from Magic origins. can these be played together with cards from other block? the magic booth I go to have some intro deck and a starter duel pack, it have 2 decks with theme like blessed vs cursed. I didn't bought it because I'm not sure which one to get, and now finding about the various cardset just make me more unsure.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";208361881]No, it's not. It's a relevant part of the ability. You don't just ignore downsides because your card has some crazy ability. And the Ob Nixilis example wasn't "no cards that do anything". In fact, you lose the Emrakul in that example. There exist relevant cards in MTG that can't be used to sabotage the owner of those cards.

I've whiffed on Mindslaver and lost more than once, and Emrakul has upsides and downsides on Mindslaver. That's what I'm getting at.[/QUOTE]

In the scenario where the board is completely clear other than Ob Nixilis, that would indeed be a bad time to cast Emrakul. But you did mention that the opponent has a hand full of card draw. That generally would mean Read the Bones and Painful Truths, and maybe green draw spells. Read the Bones can be used to get weaker cards, and Painful Truths cast for X=1. With library searching and Collected Company, you can blank the search, and with returning from the graveyard, you can return something useless. Or, you can draw cards until you get a creature you can cast, and then use Ob Nixilis's ability on it.

so, I recently went to a toyfair in my country and there's a magic booth there, they give out demo pack with 30 card while showing people how to play the game. I had some fun with it so I want to see the pc game version. apparently it used to be yearly releases and there's so many of them at Steam. there's Duel of Planswalker 2015, than this year they changed to F2P Magic Duels?

do they all have different cards? I see from Magic website, there's a lot of cardset

http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/products/card-set-archive

so,. in general, is it a good idea to just play the latest cardset? so that's Magic Duels f2p or if I want to collect real cards, get the Shadow over Innistrad block?

looking at the cardset logo, the demo pack I got is from Magic origins. can these be played together with cards from other block? the magic booth I go to have some intro deck and a starter duel pack, it have 2 decks with theme like blessed vs cursed. I didn't bought it because I'm not sure which one to get, and now finding about the various cardset just make me more unsure.

I recommend getting Magic Duels, since you can learn the rules more easily and for free. For the paper game, check what I wrote in the OP. Intro Packs are simpler than Duel Decks, but the latter tend to be more interesting. As for what cards can be played with what,
* In casual, you can play whatever with whatever.
* In Standard, you only have access to cards from the most recent sets. But for now, you can play cards from Magic Origins with cards from Shadows over Innistrad.

I know BFZ had me all pessimistic about the art these days but man...when I actually go back and look...we've come a long way

I mean, we also had Magic Origins.
15.jpg
39.jpg

I know BFZ had me all pessimistic about the art these days but man...when I actually go back and look...we've come a long way

You best not be hating on Mark Tedin.

I mean, we also had Magic Origins.

Shadows has pretty conclusively proven to me that the problem was exactly what was theorized -- Origins and BFZ got caught in a time crunch because of the switchover of block formats and they had to fall back on repurposed digital art, subpar artists, and insufficient turnaround time commissions to squeeze the sets out.

Ashodin

This is gonna be the first time since we switched to the individual set threads that we don't know the set mechanics going into the thread, huh.

All we know is DFCs (Township) and something called incurable was going to be put in the set, but it's shelved for later.

Angry Grimace

I just don't think the argument that Emrakul's cast trigger isn't very good because sometimes it doesn't immediately win you the game on the spot is a great argument. It's an ability that gets more good the better your opponents hand and board position is.

Daedardus

I don't know, I really like the first Emrakul. It conveys this feeling of 'what even is this thing?'. The new Emrakul has great perspective though, and great art direction in general, but they are trying to do completely different things that it isn't fair to compare different art styles.

Firemind

I'm with GB. I've had times where Mindslaver didn't actually do anything without Academy Ruins. Emrakul lets you suicide one of their creatures at least but it also costs more mana and this version can be countered. On the other hand it's a reanimation target. Probably still not playable in eternal formats though.

Daedardus

Do you think Khans fetches will creep up over time or will the prices remain stable for a long time? I don't know whether I should try to complete my playsets now or if I can wait. Seems like they are even going down slowly.

MoxManiac

Do you think Khans fetches will creep up over time or will the prices remain stable for a long time? I don't know whether I should try to complete my playsets now or if I can wait. Seems like they are even going down slowly.

They will eventually go up, but it will be awhile. Theres still a lot of KTK product out there. I don't see them dropping much more, though.

Jhriad

They'll creep up over time. Don't look too the Shocks as an example though as the fetches should rebound to reprints quicker since they're used in greater volume. The only caveat being that they're going to reprint the Zendikar fetches at some point and that will suppress growth on the Khans fetches. I'm not convinced that we'll see them in Kaladesh over a different cycle like the enemy fast lands or something but we'll see if we hear any thing to tip us off as we get closer to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom