• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Girl Raising Project |OT| Madoka x Future Diary = Magical Girl Battle Royale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Lj2Exoy.jpg

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

Episodes: Unknown
Airs: Oct 2, 2016 to ?
Broadcast: Sundays at 00:00 (JST)
Simulcast: tba
Producers: Genco
Licensors: N/A
Studios: Lerche
Source: Light novel/ Manga
Genres: Action, Fantasy, Supernatural, Thriller

Synopsis:
A social game called The Magical Girl Raising Project allows one in tens of thousands of people to be a "magical girl" — possessing extraordinary physical capabilities and looks, as well as special magical powers that set them apart from the rest of the human race. But one day, in a district containing 16 magical girls, the administration announces that it must halve the number of magical girls to solve the problem of magical energy. At first, the 16 magical girls race to collect more "magical candy" than their competitors, but the rules quickly become twisted, and it quickly becomes a murderous battle for survival among them.

Staff:
Director: Hiroyuki Hashimoto (Is the order a rabbit?)
Supervisor/Script writer: Takao Yoshioka (Elfen Lied, High School DxD, Your Lie in April)
Character Design: Yukiko Aikei (Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Accel World, Your Lie in April)

Theme Songs:
OP: Manami Numakura with "Sakebe"
ED: Nano with "DREAMCATCHER"
https://youtu.be/CemuoowT3ZA

Source Material History:
Magical Girl Raising Project: "Mahō Shōjo Ikusei Keikaku" is a Japanese light novel series written by Asari Endō and illustrated by Maruino. Takarajimasha has published eight volumes since 2012 under their Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! Bunko imprint. A manga adaptation with art by Pochi Edoya was serialized in Kadokawa Shoten's Comp Ace magazine between September 26, 2014 and October 26, 2015. It has been collected in a single tankōbon volume.

Characters:
(tba)
VAHeQxn.jpg

Snow White

21yWU2K.jpg

Ripple

a8LeJGG.jpg

La Pucell

3BDHI8n.jpg

Top Speed

PjZMlDt.jpg

Ruler

809P4vi.jpg

Swim Swim

HGQnUKc.jpg

Tama

Detailed listing of characters:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...hows-snow-white-becoming-magical-girl/.106490

Character VA's:
Manami Numakura as Ripple
Nao Tōyama as Snow White
Asuka Nishi as Tama
Ayane Sakura as La Pucelle
Inori Minase as Swim Swim
Kikuko Inoue as Calamity Mary
Kurumi Mamiya as Favu
Megumi Ogata as Cranberry
Rina Hidaka as Hard Gore Alice
Risae Matsuda as Minael
Saori Hayami as Sister Nana
Satomi Arai as Magicaloid 44
Satsumi Matsuda as Yunael
Yōko Hikasa as Ruler
Yu Kobayashi as Weiss Winterprison
Yumi Uchiyama as Top Speed
Yumiri Hanamori as Nemurin

MAL Link:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33003/Mahou_Shoujo_Ikusei_Keikaku

Screenshots:
p1co4v7.jpg
crAzRn6.png

PV:
https://youtu.be/YRC9_qbrqAk

Novel Art:
v15jTpH.jpg
ad3OelR.jpg
z8ek1RF.jpg

SpJVjBF.jpg
iX1uVhY.jpg
mo5yzz8.jpg

*Important Thread note*
Week to week spoiler tags are not needed, however, if you have read the source material, please refrain from posting unmarked and appropriately tagged spoilers to future events.

Thank you very much for your consideration and enjoy the show!

Well okay.

I kinda like shows where they take classically "normal" or "cute" stuff and make it dark as fuck. I dunno, it's fun.

Will probably watch even if the quality is schwarbage.

Death games are always fun.

I actually am reading a lot of "magical girl except oh god everything is awful and fucked up" manga right now, and they can definitely be entertaining. Or just...fucked up. Looking at you Mahou Shoujo Site and Mahou Shoujo of the End. The one where they're used as a military force by countries and the main character has PTSD from the fight to beat the evil monsters is pretty interesting though I forget it's name.

I dunno, maybe I'm easy to please.

FluxWaveZ

I don't take invocations of the "Battle Royale" name lightly. I'm interested for that alone, but nothing about what I'm seeing here inspires confidence.

Cornbread78

I don't take invocations of the "Battle Royale" name lightly. I'm interested for that alone, but nothing about what I'm seeing here inspires confidence.

The sadist in me can't wait to witness magical girls in despair, killing one another to survive...

FluxWaveZ

Oh god, this show didn't even beat around the Bush of androgyny.
You literally can transform into a magical girl lol

Heh, that was something.

Main conflict will be starting next episode, so I'll stick around until things really get going and I can tell whether this is my thing or not. Nothing special so far, and I'm really hating the character design.

JC Lately

Concept sounds interesting, and i hate to have ask this question but: Where does this show fall on the ecchi scale compared to something like Madoka?

Cornbread78

Oh man that ominous opening was definately some serious foreshadowing. However, for now, boy meets girl, both love magical girls, both turn into a magical girls and team up to do magical girl good deeds. Then.... the message from the top comes in... yup, this has potential.

Aside from that, I recognized a couple of those VA's and that ED was awesome!

Well... that was quite the opening, and that ending, quite the setup for the shows synopsis. Definitely going to tune into this one

Concept sounds interesting, and i hate to have ask this question but: Where does this show fall on the ecchi scale compared to something like Madoka?

They certainly had plenty of opportunities during this first episode... though thankfully it looks like they avoided it

JC Lately

Death games are always fun.

I actually am reading a lot of "magical girl except oh god everything is awful and fucked up" manga right now, and they can definitely be entertaining. Or just...fucked up. Looking at you Mahou Shoujo Site and Mahou Shoujo of the End. The one where they're used as a military force by countries and the main character has PTSD from the fight to beat the evil monsters is pretty interesting though I forget it's name.

I dunno, maybe I'm easy to please.

Hell I think Sailor Moon Crystal is the only magical girl story playing it straight these days. When everything is a deconstruction, nothing is.

Anywho, saw the first episode. Random thoughts:

How has it taken thus long for the transformation vector to be delivered by smart phone in anime (or am I just late to the party)?

Could have used some more Magical Girl Cooperation scenes before they pulled the rug out from under us.

La Pucell taking the whole
gender swap
thing pretty well. You'd think they would at least touch some kind of internal conflict, but I guess that's not the story the show wants to tell here (also it's the first episode).

Let's see where they go with this. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play some Kingdom Hearts Chi Unchained. Maybe I'll randomly selected to be a keyblade weilder.

Szadek

Pretty weak start.
The episode was very rushed , because I guess they want to get to the dark stuff asap.
I really don't like the costumes either. It's one huge mess of completely different designs.
The transformation sequence was very weak as well.
Maybe it gets better next episode, but I'm not holding my breath.

So far set-up for everything to kick into gear next episode. The premise and cold open definitely have me interested enough to stick with it for now. The childhood friend being a magical girl was pretty funny.

Razmos

First episode was pretty decent. Not a lot happened, but it was just an introduction.

The fact that the amount of magical girls went from 14 to 15 to seemingly 16 in such a short amount of time, and the relatively short time since they appeared in the news, and the month time frame given by La Pucelle.. I very much doubt this is a "oh whoops, we created too many magical girls" situation. They were actively trying to reach that number and whatever horrible shit that's about to go down was premeditated.

Judging from the synopsis there is going to be a lot of fuckery going on, especially with the line about the rules becoming twisted. So I'm curious as to what reason the magical girls were created, since they seemingly don't have a threat that we are aware of, other than that monster in the cold open.

SOLDIER

I love how Madoka ruined Magical Girls.

By "ruin", I mean made awesome, of course.

This definitely sounds like an interesting concept, but I'm a bit concerned with some of those designs. It even took me a while to check out Madoka, even though those designs weren't nearly as skimpy and the show was thankfully almost entirely free from that (even Mami, who often gets mentioned for her...Mamis....is modestly dressed by comparison).

It could be one of those intentional things that subvert expectations, but still, there are some notable cleavage-focused characters here.

Cornbread78

This definitely sounds like an interesting concept, but I'm a bit concerned with some of those designs. It even took me a while to check out Madoka, even though those designs weren't nearly as skimpy and the show was thankfully almost entirely free from that (even Mami, who often gets mentioned for her...Mamis....is modestly dressed by comparison).

It could be one of those intentional things that subvert expectations, but still, there are some notable cleavage-focused characters here.

On a whole, they are not too bad at all. Calamity MAry was probably the most revealing and she is one of the "bad guys" from the way it sounds in the first episode.

mahoiku01.jpg

I will give them credit for the first episode on this front. They had a few opportunities to really delve into fan service and they cut away from it; which was nice to see.

Szadek

The outfits in Madoka are pretty much in line with other Magical Girl shows, so I really don't see the problem.

FluxWaveZ

Alright, the ending of episode 2 has me enticed. I could see myself enjoying this a lot if it doesn't go stupid like Future Diary did in its latter half.

She had a cool power, too...

As obvious as it was that
Nemu
was a goner, I think that this has the potential to be crazy good once they realize what dropping out really means.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The suffering begin! I guess everyone saw that coming before episode one even start airing, but I am looking forward for more suffering.

Szadek

After the first 2 episodes I don't have much confidence in this show.
The character designs are all over the place and many of the chacters are pretty annoying.
Not to mention that the entire set up feels very contrived.

Saw it coming, didn't make it any less interesting though. Guess mysterious death/heart attacks will be the method we are going with in this show

That was less bloody than I was expecting, although rereading the premise in the OP, I guess things are supposed to spiral out of control from here. It was neat seeing the other girls more in this episode, and exploring the dynamic between the 15 different girls at this point. Gives a good idea of how they’ll team up and react as things spin further out of control.

You would think Nemurin might not die if her and the puppy girl were tied, because at least she had tickets in the dream. Makes me wonder if Tama was lying about her number or something (or they just chose a likable girl for the first kill).

TarNaru33

Banned
That was less bloody than I was expecting, although rereading the premise in the OP, I guess things are supposed to spiral out of control from here. It was neat seeing the other girls more in this episode, and exploring the dynamic between the 15 different girls at this point. Gives a good idea of how they’ll team up and react as things spin further out of control.

You would think Nemurin might not die if her and the puppy girl were tied, because at least she had tickets in the dream. Makes me wonder if Tama was lying about her number or something (or they just chose a likable girl for the first kill).

Possible otherwise they both should of died, though i think it was also that they chose a likable character.. They chose a character who actually did more for others than all the other magical girls to die, while the rest thought she was a total slacker. Only sad thing about her death really.

After the first 2 episodes I don't have much confidence in this show.
The character designs are all over the place and many of the chacters are pretty annoying.
Not to mention that the entire set up feels very contrived.

I agree with this.

Madoka for example had several things going for it such as character designs, mystery of Homura, and my curiosity of witches.

This show needs to do better as the only thing keeping me into it is me knowing there will be conflict sooner or later, if it misses out on doing that well, the whole point of the show drops for me.

I mean why do magical girls even exist in this world? Are there literally no other rivals to magical girls than other magical girls? All of this was already explained a bit in Madoka by episode 1 and delved further in as it went along...

Cornbread78

tumblr_inline_oeqs3zIg0h1qgl6qf_500.png

Not a bad follow-up. That little bastardly mascot killed her himself, didn't he! WTF.

Although it felt pretty slow, I think they did a good job setting up the future casualties events and introducing sone new magical girls to the fray. If you didn't already know by her name, Calamity Mary will be the primary antagonist, along with the jerk little rat doll, Fav. Hopefully we het to sone real action and despair soon.

The Madoka influence was strong with the "contract" talk..

Full ED is funally up on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/CemuoowT3ZA

Razmos

Interesting second episode. It was obvious Nemurin was going to die, and I imagine the "you have until midnight and then you die" thing will be quite important if one of them figures out what is about to happen.

I think one of the biggest draws for me is the idea that the magical girls could be anyone. We already know that a boy can become a magical girl, and it makes you wonder who the other magical girls might be in real life. So far of the ones we've seen, they are mostly about what you'd expect but I bet there are going to be some weird ones in there, like a middle aged pervert or an old lady or something.

There was also the info about magical girl injuries healing when they untransform, which sounds like it's going to be important.

The foreshadowing is pretty cool so I hope they manage to pull it off effectively.

Interesting second episode. It was obvious Nemurin was going to die, and I imagine the "you have until midnight and then you die" thing will be quite important if one of them figures out what is about to happen.

I think one of the biggest draws for me is the idea that the magical girls could be anyone. We already know that a boy can become a magical girl, and it makes you wonder who the other magical girls might be in real life. So far of the ones we've seen, they are mostly about what you'd expect but I bet there are going to be some weird ones in there, like a middle aged pervert or an old lady or something.

There was also the info about magical girl injuries healing when they untransform, which sounds like it's going to be important.

The foreshadowing is pretty cool so I hope they manage to pull it off effectively.

Part of me is wondering if the simple act of being transformed when they lose their powers is part of the mechanism causing their deaths. I mean, the mascot did plant the seed and edge her into transforming one final time before midnight

Razmos

It's probably something like their soul gets ripped out of them as the magic is taken away.

And that's probably the goal all along, and souls are what power the magical girls magic.

This is a lot of speculating after just 2 episodes, I like it.

JC Lately

Dude. Harsh.

Part of me is wondering if the simple act of being transformed when they lose their powers is part of the mechanism causing their deaths. I mean, the mascot did plant the seed and edge her into transforming one final time before midnight

I noticed that too. But then the answer seems simple: never transform again. But that would require a) the girls finding out about it and b) electing to effectively give up their powers voluntarily. Which no one seems to do.

That's another thing: Why are there even magical girls in this setting? There doesn't appear to be any supernatural threats, and even the mundane "help" they render seems to be on low demand, baring situations like the house fire this week.

EDIT: Wanted to add: anyone else kinda disappointed that the lowest earner gets offed by the system itself? I found the idea more intriguing when it was a bunch of girls willing to use deadly force to keep their super special super powers. The fact that they are going to be literately fighting for their lives kinda robs it of the twisted sociopathy I was expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom