• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Japanese Commercial for Eel Is Being Compared to a Perverted Sexist Horror Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Officials in Shibushi, Japan, wanted to drum up some attention for their delicious, locally-farmed fish. So they filmed a glossy online advertisement meant to showcase their eels as some of the most exquisitely pampered and sustainable in the country.

Unfortunately, their method didn’t quite hit the artistic sweet spot they intended. The two-minute commercial, which featured a young girl who turns into an eel, quickly received outcry for denigrating women, and was mocked as a clip that looked like it belonged to a horror film.

Narrated from a man’s perspective, the video opens with a teenager in a black swimsuit lounging around a pool, asking the man to feed her and help her grow.

“This makes me think of a girl who is being kidnapped and locked up…it’s the delusions of a pervert,” said one Twitter user. Shibushi officials quickly caved to social media protest and pulled the advertisement.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/09/26...l-is-being-compared-to-a-sexist-horror-movie/

Direct twitter link to video

Please grow me

Cerium

I didn't know unagi farming was economically viable/sustainable. That's good. Maybe the prices will come down.

gatling

I honestly didn't get a lot of bad vibes from it. It felt like selkie tales from Irish folklore and similar stories. Is it the narration script itself thats off-putting? Or the implication because the narrator is male?

I only snorted when the eel was unceremoniously dumped into the water.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think this is really a bad commercial?

Odd, sure, especially with the mucus part. But I get it.

And the comparisons to a horror movie? What horror movies are people watching? Oh, and 1 person seemed to compare it to a horror movie? ok...

Piecake

I honestly didn't get a lot of bad vibes from it. It felt like selkie tales from Irish folklore and similar stories. Is it the narration script itself thats off-putting? Or the implication because the narrator is male?

I only snorted when the eel was unceremoniously dumped into the water.

I'd imagine that most of it is because of the script and that the narrator is male. I also think one of the major problems is that Japan has a problem with sexism and subordinating women. A commercial that hits all those points when Japan is trying to make changes and gender equality issues are being promoted/getting attention is going to get some big pushback.

rtcn63

giphy.gif

It was mostly just weird, but it took a real creepy turn with the image of cooked eel immediately followed by a second girl saying "Please grow me."

But hey, you do you, Japan.

I'm vegetarian for moral reasons so I appreciate the message; they treat their eels humanely. At least I think that was the message of the ad

When people ask why I'm vegetarian this is what it comes down to. I just want animals raised for consumption to be treated humanely. I don't think they are so I'm going to abstain from eating them

I understood that reference dot png

ANIMORPHS! Never finished the series.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Amazing, Unako! Your armpits taste just like charbroiled eel. Keep growing, and maybe one day you can join your little sister on the grill!

I dont get how it simulates kidnapping or cannibalism.

As a Japanese advert it was very tame and I actually liked it. Got the message across quite well.

There is always an ____ist waiting in the wing to be pulled and throw in any and every direction.

Pretty weird trailer, regardless, but I've seen worse.

dreams

Huh. I thought it was cute actually.

However, now I sorta want to see a horror movie with a girl that turns into an eel and goes on a killing rampage.

Maxinas

Japan has churned out things that are far more...controversial than this ever will be. Some people need to get their mind out of the gutter.

I thought that was a really cool commercial. On one hand, it was endearing and really put forth the sense of care/labor of love sentiment they're trying to sell or paint here regarding their product. On the other, the analogy leaves the door just open enough to have it potentially be interpreted as creepy or WTF. I love it.

It also reminds me of the Mermaid episode from the Pet Shop of Horros anime.

Wait, they pulled the ad? That's a shame. Heaven forbid something ends up being kinda subversive with some weird/fucked up undertones.

Piecake

Japan has churned out things that are far more...controversial than this ever will be. Some people need to get their mind out of the gutter.

You don't think there is a difference between a commercial that will be seen on national television and stuff seen on television either late at night or bought in some specialty shops?

Someone on twitter complained, and now the ad is pulled.

No longer will this fictional non-girl be fictionally eaten as deadpan comedy.

Everyone wins!

Should have roped Tommy Lee Jones into doing the narration.

That was supposed to be deadpan comedy?

I thought they were going for a serious artsy vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom