• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•07-09•15 - Gifted MI5 cruises by F4. DBZ fans still warm 4 Frieza's form

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Man from U.N.C.L.E was always a bad idea to make a film of, the brand means next to nothing, and the title sounds stupid to those who know nothing about the brand. The casting doomed the film, and the marketing wasn't a whole lot better (there wasn't much of it)

Bobby ain't the word police.

Nah, just trying to make sure you guys don't sound like assholes as often. That's all. It's a rather magnanimous gesture on my part, I feel.

I mean, if you wanna (mostly incorrectly, even) burp up years-old, past-dead internet memes all over your bibs, that's your prerogative, I guess. You can do what you wanna do. It's your prerogative. You can liiiiive your liiiiiife.

Can't we call Bombas "Bob-ombs"?

Somehow this doesn't bother me. Weird.

And usually, a "bomb" isn't just "It didn't make that much money." It has to have made less than its budget, domestically. If it clears budget domestically, but not much more, it's a disappointment (and still lost the studio money) but not bad enough to be a "Bomb."

A "bomb" means the studio ate a lot of shit on the movie. Blackhat and Mortdecai are bombs. Jupiter Ascending is a bomb. Terminator Genisys? Worldwide's going to save it financially, but budget was 155, and it didn't even get to 90 mil domestic. It bombed.

Entourage only cost 30 mil. Made 32. that's a disappointment - but it's not a bomb. Poltergeist cost 35, but made 47. Nobody really liked it and it left theaters in a hurry, but that's not a bomb.

(this is partially why yarking up BOMBA is as annoying as it is. People who don't even know why they're doing it are doing it incorrectly. So not only do they not know why they're shouting Bomba, they're also not correctly identifying what a bomb even is. It's mindless, premature celebration of percieved failure. It's just dumb all around)

Just came back from UNCLE, it was great. First Guy Ritchie-movie I found myself liking for anything beyond the editing and attitude.

Tobor

Nah, just trying to make sure you guys don't sound like assholes as often. That's all. It's a rather magnanimous gesture on my part, I feel.

I mean, if you wanna (mostly incorrectly, even) burp up years-old, past-dead internet memes all over your bibs, that's your prerogative, I guess. You can do what you wanna do. It's your prerogative. You can liiiiive your liiiiiife.

Nerds gotta be nerds, bro. If I learned anything from the 1984 documentary "Revenge of the Nerds", it's that nerds who embrace their nerdiness will get to sleep with cheerleaders and embarrass the guy from Married with Children that replaced the other guy.

Now if you wanna be like that guy, or like Johnny from the equally important 1984 documentary "The Karate Kid", then that is your prerogative. I shall be like Daniel LaRusso, and as my crane kick explodes through the air with the intensity of how hot Elisabeth Shue was back then, I shall whisper my mantra and let it float through the air on the breeze out of the Rec Center into the 1984 Southern California night.

"Bomba"

I feel like you've misunderstood all those properties, Tobor, but I am glad you have seen them, as they are very valuable cultural artifacts from which to build a philosophy for fine living.

Not necessarility box-office related, but it comes from that Deadline article that went up this morning saying Compton could hit 60 mil this weekend

Uni is officially launching an Oscar campaign for the film and will start Academy screenings today.

If this is the case, it's possible a re-release in winter 2015/2016 could happen, depending on how solid the run is for the rest of summer. Legs on the movie, if word of mouth remains high, could be pretty long, too, as September doesn't look too busy.

So I guess the question is whether the legs & WOM are going to be enough to get the NWA movie to say, 175mil domestic.

edit: I also like the idea that it's possible (maybe not plausible, but possible, if WB gets their shit together) that you could have an Oscar season in which Fury Road and Straight Outta Compton are legitimate contenders.

jmood88

Not necessarility box-office related, but it comes from that Deadline article that went up this morning saying Compton could hit 60 mil this weekend

If this is the case, it's possible a re-release in winter 2015/2016 could happen, depending on how solid the run is for the rest of summer. Legs on the movie, if word of mouth remains high, could be pretty long, too, as September doesn't look too busy.

So I guess the question is whether the legs & WOM are going to be enough to get the NWA movie to say, 175mil domestic.

edit: I also like the idea that it's possible (maybe not plausible, but possible, if WB gets their shit together) that you could have an Oscar season in which Fury Road and Straight Outta Compton are legitimate contenders.
The guy who played Eazy better be a part of this Oscar campaign.

The guy who played Eazy better be a part of this Oscar campaign.

I believe he would be, since his is really the only performance getting mentioned in the reviews. Jackson's getting mentioned, but mostly because he apparently looks a lot like his dad, and that's it.

I could see them pushing for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor.

Really hoping WB pushes Mad Max for Picture, Director, and Actress.

i'm hyped to watch straight outta compton but i doubt it's worthy of a best director nod (but if morten tilda from imitation game can get nominated then anybody should be able to)

mad max definitely deserves something for george miller though (his snub would be awful, he's done such an impressive job here), and charlize theron too.

would be amazing if eazy e's actor gets nominated for best supporting actor. i would be happy with that. again, i haven't seen it yet but I've heard good things about him.

doubt either film gets any nominations outside of technical stuff tho.

man I'd love a rap-beef movie made by Fincher or somebody these days who could handle a really tense rivalry relationship.

would be tight. Notorious was weak, but imagine something really good being made about the 2pac/Biggie beef (just focused on that event rather than a biopic).

lol never gonna happen but it would be great.

Majanew

Banned
It's awesome seeing Fantastic Four bomb. Just wish Fox would fuck off so Marvel could grab some of the F4 characters and have them show up in the MCU.

The money this movie is making?

Someone's trying to find out if they have the rights right now, probably.

yeah but i mean way more focused than straight outta compton. like condensed on a specific event in a career. those kinds of biopics tend to be the best imo. 2pac/biggie beef movie. phew.

but yeah the success of this is likely gonna fasttrack some rap movies. awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom