• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•07-09•15 - Gifted MI5 cruises by F4. DBZ fans still warm 4 Frieza's form

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Master P is working on the story of No Limit right now
Man, nobody wants that shit. Now a Hot Boys movie would be interesting as hell. As a bonus, the dude who plays Eazy could play Wayne since they're about the same size and he's from here. It's perfect.

Neoxon

Just curious, you guys think that the failure of Fant4stic will impact X-Men: Apocalypse & Deadpool? More so Apocalypse since DoFP was used heavily to promote Fant4stic.

Animator

Something good came out of the F4 shitfest. Fox apparently cancelled the F4 sequel they were planning and increased the budget of Deadpool. Word is they will use the F4 sequel budget for Deadpool sequel instead.

Just curious, you guys think that the failure of Fant4stic will impact X-Men: Apocalypse & Deadpool? More so Apocalypse since DoFP was used heavily to promote Fant4stic.

No. In a way it being such a huge failure was sort of a blessing as it came and went so quickly the mainstream audience probably doesn't even realize FF exists enough for it to affect Fox's other properties or for people to make any type of meaningful association. And Deadpool doesn't need any help flopping it will do that just fine all by itself.

Neoxon

No. In a way it being such a huge failure was sort of a blessing as it came and went so quickly the mainstream audience probably doesn't even realize FF exists enough for it to affect Fox's other properties or for people to make any type of meaningful association. And Deadpool doesn't need any help flopping it will do that just fine all by itself.
lolwut? Don't underestimate Deadpool's fanbase. They're the reason why Deadpool is even getting a movie. If Kingsman can be successful, so can Deadpool. All Deadpool has to do is deliver a good movie.

What is this. What am I reading.

I don't think the movie will do that well at the box office. Maybe it'll be good, but that's beside the point. The trailer surely didn't give me much hope. It was like a comic book movie from the people that made Ted 2.

lolwut? Don't underestimate Deadpool's fanbase. They're the reason why Deadpool is even getting a movie. If Kingsman can be successful, so can Deadpool. All Deadpool has to do is deliver a good movie.

Don't underestimate Ryan Reynolds.

Neoxon

I think you guys are in for a rude awakening if you are expecting Kingsman numbers. Kingsman is an outlier.
Kingsman was a modest success with a respectable budget. Deadpool has a similar budget with quadruple the fanbase. All Deadpool has to do is be a good movie & it will do well at the box office.

Deadpool has a similar budget with quadruple the fanbase.

Comics readers, even if ALL of them showed up, are going to be worth maybe 15-25 million, tops. If that. Probably not even that.

Deadpool's existing comics fanbase isn't a factor, really. Fox has to sell the character on the merits of the character as he appears in the movie. They can try to point people towards why he's worked in the comics (and they'd be smart to do so - although that could backfire if the version they made a movie out of doesn't square with the best versions in the comics) but the movie's only going to go if they can convince people the version of Deadpool they put on the screen is worth paying attention to all by itself, with no comics context.

Kingsman was a modest success with a respectable budget. Deadpool has a similar budget with quadruple the fanbase. All Deadpool has to do is be a good movie & it will do well at the box office.

Comic book fanbase has nothing to do with it. People didn't tune in to Kingsman because of the comic. Most people probably didn't even know it came from a comic. Kingsman looked like a cool, slick spy movie. Deadpool looks like a raunchy superhero parody movie. I don't think it has wide appeal. Not saying it won't be good, it could be. Plenty of cult hits don't light up the box office. I just don't think it's BO success is anywhere near guaranteed.

Dysun

Some people really overestimate Deadpool and an R rated movies pull
Fox is going to have 2 flops heading into Apocalypse

dabig2

Kingsman is in that Blade territory. Probably not too many knew beforehand or even paid attention to the opening scrawl that this was a comic book movie, but in both cases it was simply stylish, slick, and generally great fun. Deadpool? Eh, we'll see.

Neoxon

All Deadpool needs is good word-of-mouth & it will deliver in box office numbers. It's the same word-of-mouth that killed Fant4stic so quickly.

Neoxon

If this were the case no good movies would ever flop or disappoint at the box office, and many do. Especially R-rated ones.
But Deadpool has a huge built-in fanbase that liked the trailer. Keep them happy & make sure that the movie is good, the rest will fall in place.

But Deadpool has a huge built-in fanbase that liked the trailer. Keep them happy & make sure that the movie is good, the rest will fall in place.

Huge? lol. In terms of box office Deadpool's fanbase is far from huge.

A majority of the people that Fox needs to reach in order to make Deadpool a success have little to no idea who the character is right now.

This is, unfortunately, a pretty decent comparison at this point.

Yeah, i have to agree. I think there is an audience, but i'm curious if the R-rating hurts or hinders things (since a large chunk of the fanbase is in that 13-16 range too)

I certainly think it could, in theory do pretty well, but i think it has an uphill battle. I don't think this is just a "Make the movie good and it'll work"

Didn't work for Scott Pilgrim, and well Deadpool has a bigger fanbase, its also got a bigger budget and a bigger push.

This isn't an open and shut case, even if the quality is there.

Slayven

People are in for some hurt feelings if they think Deadpool is going to be a hit. 90 minutes of Waypool with no filter? The averange movie goer ain't about that life.
WHo is doing Spice girl jokes in 2015?

Just wait until the Agent X Netflix series so Marvel can do it right. UDON!!!!

Toothless

Not necessarility box-office related, but it comes from that Deadline article that went up this morning saying Compton could hit 60 mil this weekend

If this is the case, it's possible a re-release in winter 2015/2016 could happen, depending on how solid the run is for the rest of summer. Legs on the movie, if word of mouth remains high, could be pretty long, too, as September doesn't look too busy.

So I guess the question is whether the legs & WOM are going to be enough to get the NWA movie to say, 175mil domestic.

edit: I also like the idea that it's possible (maybe not plausible, but possible, if WB gets their shit together) that you could have an Oscar season in which Fury Road and Straight Outta Compton are legitimate contenders.

Imagine a world where three out of nine Best Picture nominations are summer blockbusters (Inside Out, Mad Max, and Compton). Shit would be crazy.

G-Fex

I think R rated can do well obviously as we saw with Mad Max this year.

But the difference between Fury Road and Deadpool is that Fury Road is a good movie

I have no idea how Scott Pilgrim OR Deadpool got the budgets they got.

But Scott Pilgrim was amazing so whatever

Scott pilgrim was easily one of the most fresh comic book movies ever. If you think the movie is shit its becauase you think the source material is, because he literally did the amazing feat of completely transitioning the page to live action

Kevin Feige is a real moron for passing up on his work in favor of some garbage falcon cameo and God knows what else

Scott pilgrim was easily one of the most fresh comic book movies ever. If you think the movie is shit its becauase you think the source material is, because he literally did the amazing feat of completely transitioning the page to live action

Kevin Feige is a real moron for passing up on his work in favor of some garbage falcon cameo and God knows what else

Dammit Disco I even say I love Scott Pilgrim in that damn post
Why can't you believe my freeedommmm

i didn't meant to word it like that lol, i was quoting you and speaking to an imaginary hater much like i always do.

ThZLIiS.gif

DeathyBoy

Banned

Scott Pilgrim is an outstanding film which had no chance of making a huge profit. You will never see Marvel or DC make a superhero film that weird and cult like, even if GOTG is in an adjacent ballpark.

KissVibes

Banned
Kingsman is based on a comic book? Wow. I thought it just looked like a baller ass spy movie with some humor. Like modern Bond and classic Bond found a fun middle ground and added apprentices as a plot point.

And it was all that AND MORE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom