• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•07-09•15 - Gifted MI5 cruises by F4. DBZ fans still warm 4 Frieza's form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think Alice 2 or X-Men: Apocalypse will win the May 27, 2016 opening weekend?

Bronson Lee is a chronic liar so I would watch it Disco

tumblr_mhctbzaV6q1qb05aco4_250.gif

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

Straight Outta Compton - $56M
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - $13.5M

Rogue Nation is probably #2. Waiting on the rest of the estimates.

Neoxon

Weekend Studio Estimates

Straight Outta Compton - $56M
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - $13.5M

Rogue Nation is probably #2. Waiting on the rest of the estimates.
Not even Fant4stic bombed that badly compared to U.N.C.L.E.'s numbers. But to be fair, U.N.C.L.E. had a smaller budget. Nice to see Compton do well.

The gap from Mission Impossible TV series to movie was much shorter (apparently the show had a revival in the 80s)

Where I don't think Man from UNCLE has been in anything really since original show.
And really, how recognizable is Man From UNCLE to anybody anymore? Even if there was a huge gap between MI the show and film, it was definitely a larger part of the culture with the theme music and some of the catchphrases.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Straight Outta Compton - $56.1M
2) Mission Impossible Rogue Nation - $17.0M - $138M total
3) Man From U.N.C.L.E. - $13.5M
4) Fantastic Four - $8.0M (-69%) - $42M total <- this smells like an over-estimate to avoid that 70%+ drop
5) The Gift - $6.5M - $24M total
6) Ant-Man - $5.6M - $158M total
7) Vacation - $5.3M - $47M total
8) Minions - $5.2M - $313M total

Neoxon

4) Fantastic Four - $8.0M (-69%) - $42M total <- this smells like an over-estimate to avoid that 70%+ drop
5) The Gift - ??
Fant4stic's actuals are likely gonna drop further to break the record.

kswiston

Ant-man is having great drops. $170M will happen. Hitting $175M isn't completely improbable depending on how strong the film is heading into Labour Day weekend.

Ant-man's Worldwide take is now $347M

FTF

5) The Gift - ??

That's exactly what they did&#8230;tomorrow's actuals will show a 70% drop.

And really, how recognizable is Man From UNCLE to anybody anymore? Even if there was a huge gap between MI the show and film, it was definitely a larger part of the culture with the theme music and some of the catchphrases.

I've never heard of it before the movie trailer. Neither have any of my friends.

It's strange to see Hulk and Watchmen with such drastic drops, Watchmen in particular is actually a good film and a good adaptation.

kswiston

Steel is a direct to video film that someone decided to release in theatres for 10 days before it was yanked.

Minions at $957.4m worldwide. Only $13m or so to go to top Despicable Me 2 to be the biggest in the series.

It still has to release in China as well.

Jurassic World is now at $1.606B
Inside Out is at $667M

kswiston

Oh, shit. And Despicable Me 2 took in $52m there, so this will cross $1b then. Universal getting the hat trick this year.

Which pretty much guarantees that 2015 will set a new record for $1B films. Minions will tie the 2012 record with 4 and we still have Star Wars and maybe Bond to go.

Which pretty much guarantees that 2015 will set a new record for $1B films. Minions will tie the 2012 record with 4 and we still have Star Wars and maybe Bond to go.

Possibly an outlier with Mockingjay opening. It hasn't set the world on fire internationally, and there was a small drop off from Catching Fire and Mockingjay pt 1. But with it being the final entry it might get a big enough boost domestically and internationally. But it is probably a very slim chance.

kswiston

Possibly an outlier with Mockingjay opening. It hasn't set the world on fire internationally, and there was a small drop off from Catching Fire and Mockingjay pt 1. But with it being the final entry it might get a big enough boost domestically and internationally. But it is probably a very slim chance.

I think that the Hunger Games series missed its chance at $1B. I don't see any reason to think that it will receive a 33% boost over the previous film. Usually China helps contribute to big bumps, but China has been very apathetic towards the series. I also think that some of the hype has died out elsewhere.

More Worldwide Updates:

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation - $373M
Terminator Genisys - $323M
Pixels - $155M

duckroll

Furious 7
Jurassic World
Minions
Straight Outta Compton

This is totally Universal's year. Do they have any more possible surprises lined up later in the year?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

5) The Gift - $6.5M - $24M total

It was a good day

-_-

Kswiston: Do you think it has a shot at passing 8 Mile? Has a few million more on the opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom