• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maid services at hotels are an antiquated and strange concept

jobrro

Honestly I don't really like it. Use Do Not Disturb signs on short stays. On longer stays might take the DND sign off for a day here and there to get some fresh towels if they haven't been left at the door previous days.

Main reason is I feel like a need to tidy up before the maid comes in the room, feel like extra work is unnecessary as long as I am comfortable in there and I also don't really like a made bed as much as an unmade bed
similar to George from Seinfeld I guess

Nipo

Eh. For me a hotel is just a means to an end. Somewhere to sleep while I’m staying in a place I want to visit (assuming holiday). Most hotel rooms are just a bed anyway with not much space to relax so they aren’t really ‘luxury’ and I wouldn’t pay the extra for a fancy room (would rather put that money into the actual places I’m visiting)

And how often do people clean at home? Assuming you aren’t changing your own towels and sheets every day, how do you possibly live in such filth when at home?

When you stay at a fancy hotel it becomes part of what you want to experience do. High end Ryokan in Japan, Burj Al Arab, bungalows overwater on islands. All of them make for a great vacation experience and you definitely want it clean.

barit

Some of you guys have real issues.
Cleaning up before the maid arrives?

Are your lives just a series of Seinfeld bits?

You should go along with a maid for one week just to see what these brave women and men have to deal with on a daily basis. Currently read a report from a maid on SPON and it's absolutely disgusting how some guests can be. Like shitting and pissing on the floor or trash bin. And yes that's from a 4-star hotel in France.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Used to travel for a living and I'd just leave the "do not disturb" sign up all week.

Mostly because being a hotel maid seems like a shitty job and I'm pretty clean so I figure it made it easier on them.

I try to schedule my nude yoga sessions around when the maid comes to clean. I'm sure it helps break up the monotony of their workday.

In all seriousness, they probably see some pretty wild shit on occasion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When you stay at a fancy hotel it becomes part of what you want to experience do. High end Ryokan in Japan, Burj Al Arab, bungalows overwater on islands. All of them make for a great vacation experience and you definitely want it clean.

Oh sure. Personally I don’t think I’d spend that kind of money on the hotel being part of the experience but understand for others it’s different. But most people don’t do that often - even if you occasionally stay in a swanky hotel, more often it’ll just be a regular one which is a small room with a bed that you mostly use just for sleeping

Why can't any of you fucks just be normal. /saikun

Why would I *not* want clean sheets and towels every day? What is the downside there?

Fbh

Being able to just leave in the morning and then return to a nice and clear room is awesome. It's one of the main reasons to go to a hotel IMO.

If I just want privacy I'd rather rent an apartment

DarkKyo

*wakes up*
Looks like the debate rages on...
I'm with you OP, but what if it was a robot maid?

Shit, that's a tough one. Non-sentient robot? I could see it being okay maybe, but the robot would have to be advanced enough to be able to differentiate trash from my stuff.

If im paying to stay there it is about me though.

They have to think about the next guest as well. Your hand towel that has collected 4 days of poutine, your pillow cover with a week of hair product stained into it, the sheets with all of your flaky dead skin, the bathroom tile irregularly decorated with toenail clippings, the fridge with your week-old Indian takeout, your desk with the iced coffee rings, the carpet that has absorbed the smell of your McDonald fish and pickle and tartar sauce sandwiches, the toilet that has been relentlessly punished by said sandwiches, the tub you vomited in when you couldn't find the toilet... all of these have to be ready 4 hours later and *perfect* for the next guest. And they aren't burning all of the linen, it is going to be washed/dried/steamed put back in circulation... if it's still salvageable.

People aren't paying $300/night to go a room that feels like its been lived in or partied in. No one in the service industry wants to wait and clean after a layer of dust, grime, film, crust, cobwebs, feces, or stain settles in. Regular cleaning is how that room feels so comfortable every time you walk through the door.

Nipo

But Gaf... the REAL question is how much do you tip the maids that clean your hotel room? Do you tip every day or the end of your stay? Different amounts based on cost of room? Do you stiff the cleaning staff and leave them nothing?

/runs and hides.

draetenth

Why can't any of you fucks just be normal. /saikun

Why would I *not* want clean sheets and towels every day? What is the downside there?

Washing sheets uses a lot of water.

I don't mind maid service and clean sheets, but how dirty are some of you that you need to have your stuff cleaned every day (yes, I understand it's unavoidable for some people who get sweaty or something while sleeping)? Just take a quick shower before bed (and after if you wish) so your bed doesn't get too dirty. A quick shower should be using less water than washing everything daily.

Nipo

I don't mind maid service and clean sheets, but how dirty are some of you that you need to have your stuff cleaned every day (yes, I understand it's unavoidable for some people who get sweaty or something while sleeping)? Just take a quick shower before bed (and after if you wish) so your bed doesn't get too dirty. A quick shower should be using less water than washing everything daily.

People are more likely to do things other than sleep in hotel beds ;-) I think that contributes to wanting hotel sheets washed each day when once or twice a week is enough at home.

He didn't say that he needs them, he asked who wouldn't want them if offered. If I go to a place and they offer to change the sheets every day my first instinct isn't to complain about the fact that I get clean sheets every day. His point was that there is no real downside for the person staying in the room, so it's odd to complain about.

Tigress

I always assumed it wasn't done for me but for the hotel. Not everyone is clean and it is easier to clean the room everyday then wait until it is totally wrecked.

ghostjoke

Banned
Rationality. Maids (like the overwhelming majority of people in service) don't give a damn about you once you're not making a mess. They're doing their job and are on auto-pilot most of the time. It's a nice perk for customers that keeps the upkeep of the hotel in check.

legacyzero

Banned
I travel to various cities for 4-6 weeks at a time. Alone.

Maid services have been so fucking great. It's like living with your mom as a child. I recently got done staying in North Carolina for 6 weeks, and it was so nice to come back to a professionally made bed, garbage gone, and bathroom clean. They even did the dishes that I had in the sink.

I'm about to go stay in Phoenix for 6 weeks in a suite, and it's going to be comfy. It's nice to be able to focus on work and play, while other people take care of you.

One thing I do like to do is not make their life difficult. I dont create unecessary messes, I round up my garbage and make it easily disposable.

jobrro

But there are several people just in this thread that do the same thing as me.

Indeed.

When I arrive a clean hotel is necessary. After that I will generally want my room untouched most days.

I don't feel clean sheets are better than one day old sheets so why waste the people energy, water and electricity.

For longer stays it may be a different story but I don't usually stay in a hotel long.

MattXIII

This is all so strange. What about at home? I take it you don't have a maid/house keeper?

Personally I love coming home to all my ironing, laundry and cleaning done.

Kyoufu

Indeed.

When I arrive a clean hotel is necessary. After that I will generally want my room untouched most days.

I don't feel clean sheets are better than one day old sheets so why waste the people energy, water and electricity.

Okay so he's not alone. Dozens.gif

It's hard to fathom anyone disliking that their shit gets cleaned for them as well as not understanding that it's as much about them as it is the next guest who stays in that room. The hotel's reputation would get shit on if they didn't keep it clean always.

uhhhh what? I get not wanting them to invade your privacy, but if I leave the room to do something which would be often, I want that shit cleaned. Like who doesn't want that? Seems weird.

I typically don't use them. My stays are mostly 4 nights at a time for work or something. When I stay a whole week I'll is e them once probably.

They have to think about the next guest as well. Your hand towel that has collected 4 days of poutine, your pillow cover with a week of hair product stained into it, the sheets with all of your flaky dead skin, the bathroom tile irregularly decorated with toenail clippings, the fridge with your week-old Indian takeout, your desk with the iced coffee rings, the carpet that has absorbed the smell of your McDonald fish and pickle and tartar sauce sandwiches, the toilet that has been relentlessly punished by said sandwiches, the tub you vomited in when you couldn't find the toilet... all of these have to be ready 4 hours later and *perfect* for the next guest. And they aren't burning all of the linen, it is going to be washed/dried/steamed put back in circulation... if it's still salvageable.

People aren't paying $300/night to go a room that feels like its been lived in or partied in. No one in the service industry wants to wait and clean after a layer of dust, grime, film, crust, cobwebs, feces, or stain settles in. Regular cleaning is how that room feels so comfortable every time you walk through the door.
When a room is turned over, all of that is changed anyway. No matter if they were in there regularly or not during the previous stay.

I turn down service in most situations, but I also keep the room clean overall. Now if someone is being a massive slob, then I could see your point better.

As for sheets during the stay, bedding isn't changed every night. It's generally changed only every 2-3 days or of course with a guest change. The bed is only made up everyday unless you're specifically asking for sheets to be washed everyday. Even at 5 star resorts, sheets aren't changed everyday unless asked from my experience.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If I'm staying for two days, I put the sign up and don't bother with the service. If I'm staying longer then after two days I take the sign down.

They have this handy card on the door you hang outside and it says DO NOT DISTURB and here is the mind blowing part: you can leave it on the door when you leave for the day!

Sometimes it's a button too.

yes. this one...
NErZhgWp3m6DeW4bARywXa_EoVJ458oTmqjf0cHz5WEhHdglufrJDWDJIW3qSFaLlca07hc9j0YF5_LVSEz8LBTBM3XOrmKMXk-vplG1qYFqmM6gMZoNQvPAxnSxhaf2YiROTUP36XAuA3dSD5yzGugTOQpAIc9_41TlduMwKUOhT9UnO0-ZZIcn1wu1w4xcy_Nm2QjH0JUUk4VXNKSpt85YB-ZxRR1-HQy45FFOwYI7X1ROm1MSUKIXfJHwDJ1ptXmURCkaz88Kuk6Vj5i_GHV9KFINjPqIV259g8Qct3cQndjN3u5IbijyJTJxeWnP9wTg_BqR0kJZSgeD4AiqqGZpRT8uYsm3T7PlzTAX3KBGcIPSZBHowvhPqa1FoBdoMvalVofcc6dY8QluymTKxgCAjdaXuhJDdR7sRq5gOMC0TTZz_DYEaCTiEpXV1NaZ-UDjTsc42PusToZ2dcGeHIgJyPwsd7msXEMWyMoBOrlsq6-a7gnTG6XfibNp4CDAXGv-1tFyFSqjiWEeGw_zhB-zqjtQgq1umbzzdhn-85X-MJ5Cr8G0Ch-eozO8ra2Atz2J6gs95cmD3JZL7rarqlNH_7Gkkvbt7oKwPkqzjQ=w850-h637-no

legacyzero

Banned
If I'm staying for two days, I put the sign up and don't bother with the service. If I'm staying longer then after two days I take the sign down.

This. I dont use their services every day on my long stays. Usually about every 3-4. Anything else seems excessive.

It also minimizes my fear on anything of mine getting stolen. I usually bring about $2000 worth of personal items with me. A Surface Pro 3, a PS4, games, headset, etc.

rulerk1

reminds me of those immersion breaking post from gaming side. How can maid/room service ruin the moment for you wtf

You should go along with a maid for one week just to see what these brave women and men have to deal with on a daily basis. Currently read a report from a maid on SPON and it's absolutely disgusting how some guests can be. Like shitting and pissing on the floor or trash bin. And yes that's from a 4-star hotel in France.

I stay in a load of hotels throughout the year, i know what they have to deal with(im not clean angel). Maids are the only service people i tip. They do a great job...but it's still their job.
My boss doesn't run around doing all my work before i come to the office, though he fucking should. Lazy bastard.

Maid service is great, I don't know what you're talking about. It's great to leave the hotel in the morning and when you come back to your room everything is cleaned up and put away. I make it as easy as I reasonably can for the maids but I have no problem with them doing their job.

Top Bottom