• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maid services at hotels are an antiquated and strange concept

Mistake

Op, don't think of it as your problem, think of it as a problem with everyone else. Some people are slobs, you have no idea. I'm talkin tampon from a man's ass in the sink bad. When you clean something, it's much easier to do it regularly than let it sit there, because it saves time and effort. Most places also have a safe for anything you worry about

Housekeeping is part of what you are paying for when you book a hotel room. It's great and I've never had any problems with them. Ever. I go out, come back and my room is clean and tidy. laundry service is even better, fresh clean ironed clothes in the wardrobe whenever you want.

noquarter

I really enjoy having cleaning performed at a hotel. Don't have to worry about throwing food I don't want to save in the trash, always have toilet paper, bed nice and snug.

There have been times that I don't want service, and I just post the "Do not disturb" sign and don't worry about it.

I'm in what seems to be a mid-to-high range Marriot, in a king suite due to platinum elite status. I just don't like people to see my stuff lol
Ah, stealth brag thread.

Take it you're probably staying more than a couple nights and don't like that most hotels require service every few days. Just clean up after yourself and it shouldn't be that bad.

vern

Op, don't think of it as your problem, think of it as a problem with everyone else. Some people are slobs, you have no idea. I'm talkin tampon from a man's ass in the sink bad. When you clean something, it's much easier to do it regularly than let it sit there, because it saves time and effort. Most places also have a safe for anything you worry about

How do you know it is from a mans ass?

If it's an issue, they have signs you can put on the door to let them know not to come in.

Exactly this. Just put the DND sign on the doorknob and call it a day.

I don't think it's a strange concept - if one is staying at a decent hotel, you are paying for the hospitality so maid services are included.

I'm kinda with you. Generally I would be happy if they just didn't clean my room at all while I was there. But I know I'm not typical.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hang that little DO NOT DISTURB sign that's on the back of your door.

No one will ever come into the room until you check out.

numble

I'm in what seems to be a mid-to-high range Marriot, in a king suite due to platinum elite status. I just don't like people to see my stuff lol

The price of the room is higher due to the services offered. People may use the mini-bar (needs to be refilled), use up the soap or toilet paper (needs to be refilled), accumulate trash, or order room service and leave things to be cleaned; they may even want laundry to be picked up. Why are you staying at a Marriott instead of some cheaper less-frills hotel? You really want to pay a high room price but be the one to take the trash and dirty towels to the basement?

ap_holy_turin_shroud_nt_111221_wblog_thumb.jpg

wihio

I own a small motel with a little less than 30 units that sustains very high occupancy seasonally. On any given day I would expect between 0 and 2 "Do Not Disturb" signs out. Almost everyone has maid service. About half of the people that don't want service would consider themselves eco-conscious and do not want to waste resources, the other half will typically ask for trash removal and towels, but mostly just want their privacy. I also see people stay for more than a week and have a set schedule they want their rooms cleaned (change sheets every other day, trash each day, bathroom every third, etc) and some will even request their rooms be cleaned while they are still in their room.

As an owner, you really do not want to see a room go too long without being cleaned. After more than 2 or 3 days, the level of deep cleaning and repair that is often required outweighs the benefit of saving employee time on a daily cleaning schedule.

On any given day my employees would be happy to see a "Do Not Disturb."

As a guest, I always leave my "Do Not Disturb" sign up from the moment I check in until the moment I check out. I will still leave the cleaning crew a good tip, even if I have received no cleaning services.

Also, almost no one ever asks for a discount when they decline cleaning. Like less than 1 in 1000 guests.

Aselith

I own a small motel with a little less than 30 units that sustains very high occupancy seasonally. On any given day I would expect between 0 and 2 "Do Not Disturb" signs out. Almost everyone has maid service. About half of the people that don't want service would consider themselves eco-conscious and do not want to waste resources, the other half will typically ask for trash removal and towels, but mostly just want their privacy. I also see people stay for more than a week and have a set schedule they want their rooms cleaned (change sheets every other day, trash each day, bathroom every third, etc) and some will even request their rooms be cleaned while they are still in their room.

As an owner, you really do not want to see a room go too long without being cleaned. After more than 2 or 3 days, the level of deep cleaning and repair that is often required outweighs the benefit of saving employee time on a daily cleaning schedule.

On any given day my employees would be happy to see a "Do Not Disturb."

As a guest, I always leave my "Do Not Disturb" sign up from the moment I check in until the moment I check out. I will still leave the cleaning crew a good tip, even if I have received no cleaning services.

Also, almost no one ever asks for a discount when they decline cleaning. Like less than 1 in 1000 guests.

Do you just go ahead and give the discount if asked since the number is so small? And what kind of discount would.you be comfortable with? Like 10%?

sangreal

I never use them when traveling alone. I just put the do not disturb sign up. Recently hotels have started offering bonuses for skipping out on maid service too

When traveling with other people I've learned that most people really like the maid service so I live with it. Not sure what is antiquated and strange about it

Mistake

How do you know it is from a mans ass?
I worked at mc ds, mens room. You can expect those things if you know what public service is like. Fecie fingerpaint, dirty daipers put where they don't belong, a womans period equivalent to a murder scene, you know, the usual.

Meowster

My family got some stuff stolen when I was younger so I've always used the "do not disturb" sign whenever I'm away at a hotel.

I don't think I've ever let anyone into my room before that I didn't know.

Aselith

I worked at mc ds, mens room. You can expect those things if you know what public service is like. Fecie fingerpaint, dirty daipers put where they don't belong, a womans period equivalent to a murder scene, you know, the usual.

You didn't answer the question

They can do whatever they want with the room once I'm gone, I no longer care at that point. I also don't trash the room because I'm not an animal. I use it, keep it clean, don't let people I don't know in, and then leave it in a condition where the maid coming in after I've checked out doesn't need to do much to get it ready for the next guest.
I don't personally make my room very messy, but I prefer the system where everyone's room gets cleaned upon request. I would think messy people like someone else cleaning for them.
I'm with they opening on this, I really hate being forced to tip for maids. Either be tip free or I'll clean my own damn mess. Free my ass.
You're carrying a lot of tipping guilt. Maids make a standard wage. You only tip them when you check out, if you want. I'm an easy tipper, and I'll tip the maids at a smaller, family place, but not a corporate hotel.

Now, doormen and bellhops are a different story. I hate tipping them. Opening a door or pushing a luggage cart down a hall are things I'm quite capable of doing myself. I don't mind tipping a valet, though.

Chris R

The worst is the fancier hotels, where the Do Not Disturb marker hung on your door all day results in a paper slipped under your door and a message left on the rooms answering machine saying we need to clean this room tomorrow.

I'm only staying in your hotel 3 days, I don't need a maid at all, please leave me alone :(

Remember kids, being able to have someone else clean the room while you're away is too old fashioned.

All the cool kids stay in their hotel room and clean it while they're away on vacation.

Brakke

Banned
I like the use of “antiquated” here. As though OP is an enlightened futureman.

From a future that loves filth, I guess.

Did you read my post? I do that, I was just curious why other people like the maid services.

Hypothetically, who has wasted their time more?

1. Someone who posts in this thread without reading the OP

2. Someone who reads your entire OP where you bring up a trifling problem and then immediately show that you already know the perfect solution to that problem, thus making the entire thread pointless?

finowns

Why is it 'antiquated' or 'strange'? Having a maid clean up after you is very convenient even in these modern times.

edit --

I like the use of ”antiquated" here. As though OP is an enlightened futureman.

From a future that loves filth, I guess.

We are on the same wavelength.

wihio

Do you just go ahead and give the discount if asked since the number is so small? And what kind of discount would.you be comfortable with? Like 10%?

Yes, I do usually give the discount. As for a dollar amount, I usually go for 10% but have gone higher at times.

MsKrisp

I'll skip it if I'm still in the room, but if I'm out I'll let them clean. It's annoying to ask for towels and those trash cans fill up quickly.

And beach stays? Gotta let them vacuum everyday.

Just put the tag up if you find it awkward. It's not a big deal. They're usually friendly and nice.

I don't, no. You're paying the hotel to have a clean room to sleep in. Why would it be weird that they have people to....clean the room.

They can clean the room after I leave. IDGAF at that point.

Edit: I'm not staying at a hotel for a month tho

Laekon

I only have a room cleaned every few days, mostly to reduce waste but also for privacy. It does feel weird to me people can go through my crap but then I realize that it doesn’t matter nor do I have anything interesting. I use to spend 3 to 4 months a year traveling, normally 1-2 weeks at a time.

Uh I work in a hotel and can tell you that your view is very atypical. Most people who stay in a hotel for more than one night want their room cleaned. If they're staying 4+ days, virtually everyone wants their room cleaned at least once.

No, the concept is not antiquated at all.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with the OP. I like my room to be left alone until I leave.

But can't you decline it if you want to? I honestly never thought to do that before. I guess most people do like it, so it could be a bit of conflict if you're not staying alone.

Having worked in hotels, all I had to read is the "I'm a platinum elite member" to fully understand this complaint. Of course.

I'm with the OP. I like my room to be left alone until I leave.

But can't you decline it if you want to? I honestly never thought to do that before. I guess most people do like it, so it could be a bit of conflict if you're not staying alone.

You can, hang the Do Not Disturb sign on the outside of the door.

Hazelhurst

I think it's a great service every few days, if staying for more than a few days. It's nice a feeling coming back to a clean room.

Top Bottom