• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majesco New Platformer - Flip's Twisted World - (Wii) [Developer Seemingly Closed]

Tucah

you speak so well
Looks interesting, I have a soft spot for platformers so I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Fenix

Wishing Julian good luck with this one. Tommy gave Frozen North a quick shout out the last time Video Games Live hit Kitchener-Waterloo.

For those wanting to know what else they've worked on, I remember they had a math-based MMO in the works a few years back. Details in this Shacknews article . Thankfully that got scrapped.

Eteric Rice

Ranger X said:
Oh sh.... This looks very interesting. One more awesome game for the lesser console!

293hg60.jpg

crops55

Stumpokapow said:
... which was not developed by the same company at all?

It was a joke but their logo is in the bottom right corner.

Edit: Ah, nevermind, I'm dumb. They are publishing this game, not developing. Sorry.

crops55

Fredescu said:
The publishers logo is. The developers logo is not.

The sad part is, they will probably make more money off the cash-in. Indeed, we need more platformers dammit. I figured SMG, MM9, and LBP would have been good enough financial reason to add to the genre for the next-gen crowd.

justchris

Questionable character/enemy design and lackluster animation aside, this actually looks pretty interesting. And yes, it is certainly reminiscent of Fez, SMG and Crush (more similar to Fez than the other two, really). The idea is definitely neat, and what little gameplay the trailer shows looks promising. Another 6 months or so of dev time can only improve things.

Finally we have new footage in the form of a developer video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNcj-DcXgk

Looks better than it did at first, Flip moves much smoother and it looks more like a proper game than some low-budget rip-off you know? I like how it's coming along! :)

A personal note, one of my closest cousins actually knows Julian Spillane, the founder of Frozen North, I just told my cousin when I saw him around Christmas to say hello and to wish him good luck for me, I doubt I'll ever get to meet him, but it's nice to actually have a family member be close to a developer. :p

Hero of Legend said:
Looks better than it did at first, Flip moves much smoother and it looks more like a proper game than some low-budget rip-off you know? I like how it's coming along! :)

It certainly looks better but they still have to work on the animations. I don't know, maybe I'm too spoiled by Galaxy but Flip's movement seems a bit off and too "heavy" and his attacks just look weird.

bridegur

Wow, this has come a long way. I was mildly interested at first, but it's really starting to look like a competent platformer.

Koren

GDGF said:
This looks to have a lot of promise, but isn't this just the type of game that Tommy Tallarico has bitched his entire working life about not wanting to be a part of?
Should I want to badmouth him, I'd say he want to be part of this game to be able to discuss even more on the subject...

I can't say I'm fond of the design, but at least it seems interesting.

WillyFive

The music was great, what are you guys talking about?

It was the bad graphics that made it look bad. Mario Galaxy was the same art style and ran at 60 fps along with next-gen shaders. This game is the same art style, but with no special effects and less than 30 fps.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
bridegur said:
As a side note, these developers may not have been cut out for this type of video.

Yeah, an interview style would have been better. That is, they shouldn't have pre-written all of their comments. It was painful to listen to.

nightez

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
Finally we have new footage in the form of a developer video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNcj-DcXgk

Good graphics. We're finally getting to see games on the Wii with better than Gamecube level graphics.

nightez said:
Good graphics. We're finally getting to see games on the Wii with better than Gamecube level graphics.

Yeah this game looks awesome, amazon is showing an april release date now, I guess it got pushed back?

Agnates

Banned
nightez said:

I would't say it's better than GC but it's up there. And it's from a "nobody" startup studio... Hurray for the big boys of the industry :lol

I just hope they don't release this anywhere NEAR Super Mario Galaxy 2's release date/hype campaign :lol

Oh and let's not judge things like frame rate from flash videos eh? The engine certainly has good lighting and whatever it is that gives areas that smooth, shiny look similar to Galaxy, and other pretty effects.

I looks like it has a lot of promise. It might not have the greatest effects going on, but the art direction is a lot better suited for the Wii compared to what most developers are putting out on the system, which makes it look a lot better.

robox

read the title, figured it would be one of 'em puzzle platformers, but hoping it wasn't. now that it says it is, not that keen on it.

Dali

Who the hell approved this character design? Dude looks like he belongs on the front of a cereal box.

Some Additional Info via Majesco's site:

Use the Wii Remote to flip your world around 90° at will. Switch perspectives to advance through topsy-turvy levels. A flick of the wrist and an obstructing wall is now a path, a pit is now a corridor.

Puzzle your way through six unique worlds: a celestial backwater, a fractured castle, a dense jungle full of booby-trapped temples, a frozen arctic wasteland, a network of subterranean lava caves and an intricate clock tower in the sky

Collect five magic tools to aid you in your quest

Unlock goodies and learn more about the story by finding pieces of The Master's journal

Unlock alternate costumes to customize your character throughout the game

Supports Wii Remote and Nunchuk, Classic controller, or GameCube controller play

Includes the voice talent of Anthony Stewart Head

Also Amazon is currently listing this for an April 13th release date from its original date which was supposed to be this month.

This is what came to mind when I saw Flip:

206bk90.jpg

Their faces kinda look similar, plus they're blue (the Monster looks more purple here than he's supposed to).

It always worries me when I see footage of a platformer and the jumping mechanic looks off. I'm down with low key platforming titles, but screw up the jump and the whole thing falls apart. In the video it looks like the sort of stiff little hop that can easily lead to chronically falling short of the mark. Oddly their solution seems to be pushing all the platforms super close together rather than tweaking the animation/physics to be a little more intuitive. It reminds me of a dozen 32/64 bit era games that fell victim to the similar control deficiencies.

Agnates

Banned
I think the camera just needs to be a little further away and more top down, and not jump with the character so much. It could still follow like that in closed indoor spaces if the change didn't work out for those.

bridegur

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It always worries me when I see footage of a platformer and the jumping mechanic looks off. I'm down with low key platforming titles, but screw up the jump and the whole thing falls apart. In the video it looks like the sort of stiff little hop that can easily lead to chronically falling short of the mark. Oddly their solution seems to be pushing all the platforms super close together rather than tweaking the animation/physics to be a little more intuitive. It reminds me of a dozen 32/64 bit era games that fell victim to the similar control deficiencies.

Now you have me concerned. I don't know why ripping off the best part of 3D Mario games, the controls, is such an issue for developers.

Milabrega

Still has potential, but didn't really like much of the new stuff shown. They should just put out a gameplay trailer, I was bothered by the devs talking, but the audio being out of sync. They said the team is only 12 people (6 when it was a flash game and then doubled?), that's impressive.

comedy bomb said:
lol @ reading from a cue card
Not to mention that the audio was out of sync, which made it look like the video was overdubbed from a different language. Game looks really good though.

Agnates

Banned
12 people? WHAT? You're seriously telling me 12 start up nobodies have almost matched Super Mario Galaxy's overall visuals, sans the Nintendo-art-direction® and some extra polish obviously, yet we have all those giants of the industry unable to come anywhere near that level with efforts they supposedly expected to set the charts on fire (if it wasn't for Nintendo-evil-ways®) because they were oh so hardcore and awesome? :lol

Give these guys a break, man. The obviously couldn't hire a PR guy to help them get the video together. They're only 12 guys and probably working with a tiny ass budget too.

The game looks very interesting. Looks even better than the first video.

zigg

Agnates said:
I just hope they don't release this anywhere NEAR Super Mario Galaxy 2's release date/hype campaign :lol

It's slated for Spring 2010, so that's probably not an issue.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It always worries me when I see footage of a platformer and the jumping mechanic looks off.

I'm also a little concerned by early impressions that things like the twisting mechanism were a little wonky. But those were many, many months ago now... things may have improved. I'll check it out, give it a shot.

Top Bottom