• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAJOR changes coming to Easy Allies in 2024 (failed to meet profit targets)

SJRB

Gold Member
I feel bad for Huber and I wish him all the best, but other than that they had it coming and they could've seen this coming from a country mile away.

They legit had a nugget of gold for a short period of time but made the absolute dumbest choices imaginable. Their shows and streams just feel extremely uncomfortable to watch. It's not fun, there are no good vibes anywhere. I've been a patreon sub for some time but I refuse to pay for content that makes me unironically cringe.

And when the A-listers leave, you're left with "the rest" and that's just the first step towards the end. I mean, none of them have strong enough personalities to carry this thing, let alone with the plethora of other content creators on Twitch and Youtube. It's just not good enough.

I will forever cherish their E3 reactions to Resident Evil and Shenmue 3.

The latter. They gave in to Resetera type people complaining because they enjoyed playing DOAX3 (or was it Senran Kagura?), a game that the community voted for them to play, which led to the first exodus of Patreon support.

And apparently they gave in to the vocal minority once again recently. They've learned nothing over the years lol
California will do that to people. One big bubble.

ByWatterson

Splitting the Brad/Huber combo is a crime.

But good luck to Brad, the elephant in the room is Last Stand Media, and they would have denied the rumours long ago if they weren't true, so it must be happening.

That, and Colin noted recently in Sacred Plus that Easy Allies is dying. He points out dying ecosystems a lot, but this was oddly specific.

I bet it's for real.

Last edited:
Never had an issue with Isla being trans and honestly think it's a shame others would hold it against her.

For me personally I've never clicked with anyone on the show ever nor have my tastes really aligned with theirs. Hopefully they can find a way to right things to become profitable.

simpatico

5 seconds into the vid. Do people really pay to hear what people who look like this have to say? I mean, who could have predicted a company that exists to sell these personalities wouldn't do gangbusters? What's even the point of companies like this in the current year? You're better off flying solo on the youtubes and social media.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never watched an episode.

All I know is it's pretty funny that a YTer doing videos after dinner, or just streaming themselves playing shooters can make more money to live off.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Not surprising. A bunch of podcasters are doing that for fun and not full time. So I guess aside LSM and KFG nothing else is successful (out of podcasters)?

What happened?
Brad is good friends with Dustin, a cohost on Colin Moriarty's Sacred Symbols. He brought Dustin on, the hosts had a great time, most of the watchers had a great time, but the mentally regressive/mentally ill Era-types tried to throw Dustin under the bus. Since EZA listens to their very loud, very small minority of Era members, they apologized said that Dustin will never be allowed back on and that Brad made a mistake.

What happened?
They listen to ResetEra types that actively witch hunt and silence anyone who speaks out against their very narrow world view.

Fake

They always love to walk in the road of failure.

Someone please try to explain... You listen to like 0.1% of people from the internet who never play video games, never watch livestream video games or even talk about video games.

How can you expect this line of business to work if all you do is trowing stones?

'We don't need gamers'. As so they don't need you.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
paper class GIF

NanaMiku

Welp, I kinda expected it. After Bosman left, I still kinda like Easy Allies. But my favorite is Ben and after he left, everything they did felt boring. Even the Mysterious Creatures is kinda boring now.

AmuroChan

I know the rumor is that Brad may join LSM, but I wonder if he's mentally prepared for the vitriol that's going to come his way. His name will immediately be banned on Era and he'll be branded as a transphobe white supremacist by the rest of the industry.

simpatico

Does anyone else watch Snamwiches on youtube? Algo fed his vids to me a few months ago and I really like this stuff.

Do you tip service people or pay for games you enjoy? If not then I complete understand your sentiment.

It's like they say on MinnMax.. If you support them with $5 you contributed with a factor of 40'000 as opposed to only watching their vids with ads on.
Those are very different situations. If I eat out, I'm using the server's services and he/she should be compensated for their time. If I play a video game, the developer and publisher should be paid for making that product. What I am saying, is I have no interest in this Easy Allies or really any paid video game podcast, therefore I do not listen to those programs. Instead, I find free alternatives. I am not attempting to listen to Easy Allies for free. They're asking for money and I don't find their product worth that money, so I do not consume that product.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Bossman was the tent pole of that operation. Wish them luck in their solo careers.

taizuke

They'd probably loose subscribers if they didn't pander to their audience, but the thing that they never realise is, that they would get new ones too.

Stand up for your colleagues, EZA, and don't let stupid people on the internet control you.

Last edited:

TYRiAX

I know the rumor is that Brad may join LSM, but I wonder if he's mentally prepared for the vitriol that's going to come his way. His name will immediately be banned on Era and he'll be branded as a transphobe white supremacist by the rest of the industry.
True, but one thing LSM has proven is that you don't need industry support to be really successful, as long as you have something of value to bring to an audience (personality, analysis etc etc)...

AmuroChan

True, but one thing LSM has proven is that you don't need industry support to be really successful, as long as you have something of value to bring to an audience (personality, analysis etc etc)...

Sure, I'm not debating whether he'll be successful or not. I'm just saying that a lot of people in the industry who he may consider to be friends will now disown him if he ever joined LSM. Colin went through the same thing with many of his former IGN colleagues throwing him under the bus and cutting off all contacts with him.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Sure, I'm not debating whether he'll be successful or not. I'm just saying that a lot of people in the industry who he may consider to be friends will now disown him if he ever joined LSM. Colin went through the same thing with many of his former IGN colleagues throwing him under the bus and cutting off all contacts with him.

Make a ton of money, be very popular by non-mentally ill people and have all the insane folks ignore him and never talk to him?

I can't say this is anything but a win.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont listen to YT or podcasts from people who talk games. If I want to see gaming content, I just beeline to gameplay vids or gamers who specialize in certain games. Who the fuck wants to listen to a bunch of whiney hipster dudes gabbing games (and probably politics thrown in?).

It's crazy how you can find YT dudes who do shooter map and gun recoil analysis, or something hilarious lie Rust videos and these guys can have a million subbers. Easy Allies YT has 260k subbers. Thats it.

I dont even play Rust, but for whatever reason I watched a guy who has over million subs do Trap Base videos which were hilarious. I'd rather watch that then a panel of people talking games. They probably barely even play games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I haven't paid attention to any mainstream games journalists in at least 10 years, so I have no clue who these people are. I also have no idea why anyone would pay a subscription fee to listen to a bunch of people talk about video games, when there's so many free alternatives out there.
Exactly.

For me, it's not different than all the subs out there. I get more than enough content out there just flipping TV channels, surfing the net and Game Pass. I've never went out of my way to sub to anything else. The last time I did was when I first moved out on my own over 20 years ago and I amped it up on cable TV VIP channel package, movies and sports packs. I did it for a bit, realized how stupid it is to have a TV/internet bill of $200/mth and dialed it back to a modest TV pack + internet.

The worst subs out there are business sites. Go to Yahoo Finance after a company posts earnings and click the links. Reuters and Business Newswire and other mainstream news companies have free content links. All the data is there. All corporate site Investors Relations downloads are free too. But click on Barrons or NYT and it's the same info but behind a paywall. Why would I pay?

A for media, the argument is "well, it's unique content, so it might be worth subbing". Fair point. If it's so awesome, everyone will sub. But if they cant meet revenue to just pay a handful of people a half decent salary per year, it means nobody cares about it.

On the other hand, some random guy doing Rust trap house videos can have 1 million subs.

Last edited:

Fbh

I followed them for a few years until shortly after Kyle left, but they never really managed to recapture the GameTrailers magic that made me watch them in the first place. Their time at Jones' garage was peak EZA, and I feel like it all went downhill once they moved to the studio.
The EpicBattleAxe crew was better anyway.

While I agree that they peaked during the garage era, I always thought one of the main issue holding them back from growing as a company was how little things changed when they moved into the studio.
It should have been the moment to take their content to the next level, find a bigger audience and make EZA really profitable but instead it still felt like that loose "guys in a garage" mentality, except with less charm.

To me it always stood out how amateurish a lot of their content remained. The production on almost everything (from how it was shot, edited, elements on set, etc) always felt like something you'd expect from some friends throwing together some content on a weekend for fun, not something done by a company which at some point had as many as 8 full time employees.
People always comment how they like the reviews, and I think at least a part of why is that it's the only stuff they make that actually feels "professional". They are well edited, decently written, have good looking custom graphics for them and Jones sounds like a pro voice over.

I also remember Kyle in some interviews talking about how he wanted to pay to have a professionally made logo and things like that, but the rest of the group didn't want to spend money on that. Instead they got a studio but never really took advantage of it.

Last edited:
And Colin proved that all those colleagues and connections don't mean shit when it comes to being successful. Colin keeps it real, ppl can easily relate to that

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
While I agree that they peaked during the garage era, I always thought one of the main issue holding them back from growing as a company was how little things changed when they moved into the studio.
It should have been the moment to take their content to the next level, find a bigger audience and make EZA really profitable but instead it still felt like that loose "guys in a garage" mentality, except with less charm.

To me it always stood out how amateurish a lot of their content remained. The production on almost everything (from how it was shot, edited, elements on set, etc) always felt like something you'd expect from some friends throwing together some content on a weekend for fun, not something done by a company which at some point had as many as 8 full time employees.
People always comment how they like the reviews, and I think at least a part of why is that it's the only stuff they make that actually feels "professional". They are well edited, decently written, have good looking custom graphics for them and Jones sounds like a pro voice over.

I also remember Kyle in some interviews talking about how he wanted to pay to have a professionally made logo and things like that, but the rest of the group didn't want to spend money on that. Instead they got a studio but never really took advantage of it.
I never watched Easy Allies or know the people.

But by the sounds of it, they have enough recognition among the online gaming population to get viewers where gamers know who they are. But to me, it looks like they wanted to stay small for budget reasons or not wanting to go all in on something more ambitious. Not every company or group of workers have to aim to be Google or Apple. You can stay bring a mom and pop shop and be happy. But with the net, you can have giant success even if it's a streamer doing videos from his basement.

What they wanted is to remain amateurish as you said hoping to make a living this way. Well, just like big business with 1000s of workers in offices, when you aim small it's hard to get big. And the smaller you are the easier to get wiped out. To get big, you got to put in some effort and budget risk.

But with the net, the temptation and dream is always there.......... aim small, piddly budgets, upload some videos like it's guys gabbing about shit and maybe, just maybe, it catches fire and you get 10 million subs and rake in click money based on pure personality. Good luck social media and podcasters trying to live the dream.

Last edited:

unlurkified

I think it’s because people miss Ian.

I’m sorry but girls don’t watch game podcasts and most guys want that ‘bro vibe.’

Last edited:
Since EZA listens to their very loud, very small minority of Era members, they apologized said that Dustin will never be allowed back on and that Brad made a mistake.
Oof, imagine telling one of your cohosts that his friends are not welcome :messenger_anxious:

They'd probably loose subscribers if they didn't pander to their audience, but the thing that they never realise is, that they would get new ones too.
Looking at their patreon chart, it seems like they have been bleeding subs since 2020

Oh, right. Colin who is not joining any other podcasts or does not participate anywhere. Oh wait...I think it will be fine.

StueyDuck

I mean they literally had a choice of 8 people or so to choose to lead the company and they chose the absolute worst (and probably most despised) person of the group to take that charge.

I don't want to hate easy allies, there's still a few there i wanna support. Glad to hear brads moving on to brighter pastures, but yeah the loss of Kyle, Brandon and Ben in quick succession plus the new "look and feel" of the company showed there was a rot taking over and forcing themselves onto the product.

Honestly that rot should have offered to leave instead of being a narcissistic pig and ruin it for everyone else and essentially take over in a hostile way

Last edited:
Top Bottom