• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Japanese Developers Share Their Favorite Games Of 2011

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that (incomplete) image from a while back was correct.

A lot of developers also shared their 2012 plans and 2011 media favorites at the link.

I'll make threads for the most notable of those, but otherwise check the link.

Quick Total:
Skyrim: 6
Portal 2: 4
Dark Souls: 4
Uncharted 3: 3
Catherine: 3
Nothing: 3
Battlefield 3: 2
Modern Warfare 3: 2
Infinity Blade/IB2: 2
Zelda: Skyward Sword: 2
Angry Birds: 1
Army Of Darkness Defense (iOS): 1
All popular social games: 1
Batman Arkham City: 1
Disney Land Adventure: 1
Dragon Collection (mobile): 1
Gears of War 3: 1
Grand Knights History: 1
Groove Coaster (iOS): 1
Infamous 2: 1
L.A. Noire: 1
Little Battler eXperience: 1
Mario Kart 7: 1
Minecraft: 1
Plants vs Zombies (iOS): 1
Saints Row 3: 1
Steins;Gate: 1
Super Mario 3D Land: 1

AndriaSang said:
Takumi Iguchiya
Arc System Works Director/Programer -- Work on Persona 4 The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena (Director), Arcana Heart 3 (PS3/X360 -- Director), BlazBlue Series (Lead Programmer)
Top Game of 2011: Dark Souls. He joked that the reason for this is that Skyrim had yet to be released when he he was asked (the article was written on December 7)

Toshimichi Mori
Arc System Works Producer -- BlazBlue Series, Guilty Gear Series
Top Game of 2011: Gears of War 3.

Shouji Meguro
Index/Atlus Director, Chief Composer
Top Game of 2011: Disney Land Adventure. Last year, his response was PlayStation Move's Nikudan.

Shigenobu Urano
Alchemist CEO
Top Game of 2011: All popular social games

Mr. Hiraki
Alvion Director -- Malicious
Top Game of 2011: Dark Souls

Tomonobu Itagaki
Valhalla Game Studios Chief Technology Officer -- Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive Xtreme
Top Game of 2011: Call of Duty Modern Warfare Series, Battlefield Series

Hajime Chikami
Experience Producer, CEO -- Labyrinth Xross Blood
Top Game of 2011: Catherine

Yoshito Okamura
Gust Director -- Atelier Meruru
Top Game of 2011: Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Akira Tsuchiya
Gust Director/Sound/Value Business Manager -- Ar Tonelico Series
Top Game of 2011: Portal 2

Motohide Eshiro
Capcom Producer -- Ace Attorney Series, Okamiden
Top Game of 2011: Battlefield 3

Masahiro Kawada
Capcom Producer -- Resident Evil Revelations, Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
Top Game of 2011: Infinity Blade. This is the game that gave him the most shock (although it was released last year, he admitted). For 2012, he says he's looking forward to Gravity Daze.

Hironobu Takeshita
Capcom -- Producer. Ghost Trick, Monster Hunter 3G
Top Game of 2011: Little Battler eXperience. Said he liked the developments across games, anime, manga and models which made the game extremely popular amongst kids. He himself watches the anime every week.

Ryota Niitsuma
Capcom Producer -- Marvel vs Capcom 3, Tatsunoko vs Capcom Series
Top Game of 2011: Catherine. The game itself was fresh, but he also thought the marketing was extremely well done.

Akira Yamaoka
Grasshopper Manufacture CCO -- Shadows of the Damned
Top Game of 2011: Batman Arkham City

Kou Shibusawa
Tecmo Koei General Producer -- Nobunaga's Ambition, Sangokushi, Kessen
Top Game of 2011: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3

Yousuke Hayashi
Tecmo Games Team Ninja Leader -- Ninja Gaiden 3, Dead or Alive 5
Top Game of 2011: Plants vs Zombies (iOS)

Akari Uchida
Konami Love Plus Productions Senior Producer -- Love Plus series, Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side series, Tongari Boushi series
Top Game of 2011: Mario Kart 7

Shinta Nojiri
Konami Producer -- Metal Gear Ghost Babel, Never Dead, Metal Gear Acid, Boktai
Top Game of 2011: Groove Coaster (iOS)

Shingo Mukaitouge
Konami Producer -- Frontier Gate, Beyond the Labyrinth, Terror of the Stratus, Genso Suikoden
Top Game of 2011: Zelda Skyward Sword

Masaki Yoneyama
Konami Director -- Beyond the Labyrinth

Keiji Inafune
Comcept CEO/Concepter -- Mega Man series, Resident Evil 2, Onimusha series, Lost Planet series, Dead Rising series
Top Game of 2011: Angry Birds

Hiroshi Matsuyama
CyberConnect2 CEO -- .hack Series, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series, Solatorobo
Top Game of 2011: Infinity Blade II. He says he cleared the original and was able to defeat one of the secret bosses, but couldn't defeat the other.

Taichi Inuzuka
Square Enix Producer -- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker Series
Top Game of 2011: Dragon Collection (mobile)

Yosuke Saito
Square Enix Executive Producer -- NieR
Top Game of 2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Takamasa Shiba
Square Enix Producer -- Drakengard, Lord of Vermilion, Lord of Apocalypse, Army Corps of Hell
Top Game of 2011: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Naoki Yoshida
Square Enix Producer/Director -- Final Fantasy XIV, Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road

Yoshinori Terasawa
Spike Producer -- Danganronpa, Gachitora!, Way of the Samurai 4
Top Game of 2011: Catherine

Kazuhiro Watanabe
Spike Producer -- Shinobio 2, Kenka Bancho Series, Way of the Samurai Series
Top Game of 2011: Grand Knights History

Youjiro Ogawa
Sega Producer -- Yakuza Black Panther Series
Top Game of 2011: Portal 2

Satoshi Sakai
Sega Producer -- Phantasy Star Portable

Daisuke Sato
Sega 1st CS R&D Division Sub Division Head
Top Game of 2011: None (He was busy with his own titles)

Toshihiro Nagoshi
Sega R&D Senior Creative Officer -- Yakuza, Super Monkey Ball, etc.
Top Game of 2011: While he could name a number of game, there weren't really any that "stood out." He did find himself frequently surprised with how far smartphones could be pushed.

Daisaku Ikejiri
Sony Computer Entertainment Executive Producer -- Hot Shots Golf, Afrika
Top Game of 2011: Super Mario 3D Land

Fumito Ueda
Creative Director of Last Guardian
Top Game of 2011: Portal 2. He praised the game's natural and believable expression, but described one area of expression in particular as exceptional: the turret cube.

Keiichiro Toyama
Sony Computer Entertainment Creative Director -- Gravity Daze
Top Game of 2011: Saints Row

Masaaki Yamagiwa
Sony Computer Entertainment Associate Producer, Tokyo Jungle
Top Game of 2011: Dark Soul

Shuhei Yoshida
Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President

Kotaro Uchigoshi
Chunsoft Director/Scenario -- 999, Good People Die
Top Game of 2011: Steins;Gate -- He played the game for the first time through the PSP version this year.

Yuzo Amano
tri-Ace Producer -- Frontier Gate
Top Game of 2011: Zelda Skyward Sword

Takayuki Suguro
tri-Ace Director -- Beyond the Labyrinth, Resonance of Fate, Valkyrie Profile 2, Final Fantasy Tactics
Top Game of 2011: Infamous 2

Toshihiro Kondo
Falcom CEO
Top Game of 2011: Uncharted 3

Hifumi Kouno
Nudemaker CEO/Director -- Clock Tower, Steel Battalion (Tekki), Terror of Stratus
Top Game of 2011: Minecraft

Yozo Sakagami
Namco Bandai 1st Business Division 2nd Strategy Division Manager -- Idolmaster, Family Ski

ntny
Flight Unit Art Director -- ShiningForce EXA, Ar Tonelico 1-3, Atelier series 3D movies
Top Game of 2011: Portal2

Atsushi Inaba
Platinum Games Producer -- Anarchy Reigns, Vanquish
Top Game of 2011: L.A. Noire

Hideki Kamiya
Platinum Games Game Designer -- Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta
Top Game of 2011: Nothing in particular
Top Entertainment Content From 2011: 3D Classics on Nintendo 3DS

Jiro Ishii
Level-5 Director -- Time Travelers, Kamaitachi no Yoru, 428

Akihiro Hino
Level-5 CEO -- Inazuma Eleven, Layton, Ni no Kuni

Yasumi Matsuno
Level-5 Director -- Final Fantasy Tactis, Tactics Ogre, Guild 01
Top Game of 2011: Army of Darkness Defense (iOS)
Source: http://andriasang.com/comzk3/4gamer_megafeature/

Websites should all posts their GOTYs like this, instead of trying to come up with a consensus that pisses off half of the audience and does no justice to the breadth of games that came out in a given year. We know that everyone doesn't like the same games, so show it.

Soule

Yosuke Saito
Square Enix Executive Producer -- NieR

Takamasa Shiba
Square Enix Producer -- Drakengard, Lord of Vermilion, Lord of Apocalypse, Army Corps of Hell

Naoki Yoshida
Square Enix Producer/Director -- Final Fantasy XIV, Dragon Quest Monsters Battle Road
S-E loves the RPG

Nice to see Skyrim getting the love. It's a fun game.

Also, Sony boss liking Dark Souls eh? Maybe a Vita version could be possible at some point?

Dabanton

Fumito Ueda
Creative Director of Last Guardian
Top Game of 2011: Portal 2. He praised the game's natural and believable expression, but described one area of expression in particular as exceptional: the turret cube.

It's amazing how Valve are able to give what are basically throwaway objects such life and emotion.

The companion cube in the first game and the Turrets in Portal 2 it's incredibly hard to sell emotion in video games and yet they seem to always be able to do it.

Maybe that's the cause of TLG delay Ueda saw that he hasn't reached such emotion connectivity yet. Emotional music can only go so far..

I always thought that people's affection for the companion cube in the original Portal was 'ironic', since Glados' dialogue tells you that you should have this deep emotional connection even though it's just a fucking box that you use to solve puzzles.

Keiichiro Toyama
Sony Computer Entertainment Creative Director -- Gravity Daze
Top Game of 2011: Saints Row

Respect!

Shouji Meguro
Top Game of 2011: Disney Land Adventure. Last year, his response was PlayStation Move's Nikudan.

I would love this game so much if it had a controller (at least for the park part). From all the hours I have played the game sadly controls like shit. But is so amazing experience. Frontier are theme park game gods. I suppose that as a composer he loves the soundtrack of Disneyland Adventures, because that portion of the game is amazing (shame on you Epic Mickey :()

jabuseika

Daisaku Ikejiri

What. Ok...

Good list overall, they are all over the place, as it should be.

18-Volt

I know the reason why they didn't bother asking Miyamoto. The guy has never played any game not made by Nintendo, especially western games. When you ask Shiggy about "Skyrim" he would say "Huh? You mean Skyward?".

But Sakurai's answers would be interesting. His favourite game would probably be Dark Souls as he told he played and liked the game. I'm curious about what would be his message. "No Smash Bros until 2015"?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's amazing how Valve are able to give what are basically throwaway objects such life and emotion.

The companion cube in the first game and the Turrets in Portal 2 it's incredibly hard to sell emotion in video games and yet they seem to always be able to do it.

Maybe that's the cause of TLG delay Ueda saw that he hasn't reached such emotion connectivity yet. Emotional music can only go so far..
Its really incredible, and the most under-sung area of Valve's talent. The expression they imparted into a one foot sphere with Wheatley is downright amazing.

Himself

No one from Tango? =(

What in the hell is going on over there anyway?

Re:Valve+emotion...Valve is incredibly talented and creative and innovative and fun and I love them. But I feel their biggest weakness is that their games (especially Half-Life 2) are amongst the coldest, lifeless, most sterile and emotionless games I've ever played. Strange.

Majukun

Hideki Kamiya
Platinum Games Game Designer -- Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta
Top Game of 2011: Nothing in particular

kamiya is a true retro-gamer

Miyamoto does play other games, doesn't he get demos every year at the Sony / MS booths?

Daisaku Ikejiri

Good man. Brave man!

Requeim

Shouji Meguro

Like a boss

edit: and Kamiya is so jaded, i love it

I know the reason why they didn't bother asking Miyamoto. The guy has never played any game not made by Nintendo, especially western games. When you ask Shiggy about "Skyrim" he would say "Huh? You mean Skyward?".
I don't think that's true. I remember Kojima saying that he played God of War with Miyamoto before and it sounded like they both liked it.

Ithil

But Sakurai's answers would be interesting. His favourite game would probably be Dark Souls as he told he played and liked the game. I'm curious about what would be his message. "No Smash Bros until 2015"?

I think you don't know anything about Miyamoto.

At the least, this shoots to hell once and for all that old chestnut of Japanese game development being an island that ignores the rest of the world (now if only they take the quality parts from those games that fit to shore up their own output).

luca1980

Banned
Guild 01 it's 2012!! Nice to read that and also that Yazz is moving away from it, i hope his next projects will be something bigger!!!!

Tain

I want to know what Tsuneki Ikeda thinks of this year's games. but no1curr. :[

Pretty much this. I can't believe that people that work in games development can completely ignore/refuse to recognize even one of the many excellent games that came out in 2011.

what if they just spent all year playing old games

I mean, over half of the games I played this year weren't from 2011. It doesn't sound impossible to me that someone who likely has less free time than I do only played older games.

Salacious Crumb

What in the hell is going on over there anyway?

Re:Valve+emotion...Valve is incredibly talented and creative and innovative and fun and I love them. But I feel their biggest weakness is that their games (especially Half-Life 2) are amongst the coldest, lifeless, most sterile and emotionless games I've ever played. Strange.

As someone who thinks Valve are actually pretty great at the things you say they're terrible at I'd like to know which games you think actually do excel in those areas, they must be amazing.

def sim

As someone who thinks Valve are actually pretty great at the things you say they're terrible at I'd like to know which games you think actually do excel in those areas, they must be amazing.

Yeah, I'm wondering this as well. Valve games considered lifeless is so insane to me.

Zzoram

Yasumi Matsuno
Level-5 Director -- Final Fantasy Tactis, Tactics Ogre, Guild 01
Top Game of 2011: Army of Darkness Defense (iOS)

I started playing this game recently and it's pretty awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
what if they just spent all year playing old games

I mean, over half of the games I played this year weren't from 2011. It doesn't sound impossible to me that someone who likely has less free time than I do only played older games.

Saying, "I didn't have time to play anything recent," is very different than outright saying, "Nothing." The latter just makes it seem like you don't think anything from 2011 is worth acknowledging.

I'd like to hear this too. I always thought Valve games had a lot more life in them then most games, mainly because of the writing.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think its telling that the two best regarded Japanese titles are from developers who although well-regarded aren't the biggest players on the scene and seem happy to go their own way rather than actively chasing overseas sales.

Given his vocal support I'm wondering how Yoshida really feels about allowing the Souls' franchise to go multi-platform. Surely he's got to see it as missed opportunity, because even if it isn't a huge seller its a bona-fide creative success.

Matsuno's is Army of Darkness Defense?
Had never heard of it, but I guess I should give it a run then.

Is crap. A very freemium simple tower defense that is very frustrating in order to try to sell you ingame gold purchases (you can't grind by yourself, so a couple of bad decisions in the upgrade part will force you to hit a wall, having to restart the whole game... or buy some gold to be able to beat the level). I really wonder how someone like Matsuno can see something interesting in that game.

Anteater

Saying, "I didn't have time to play anything recent," is very different than outright saying, "Nothing." The latter just makes it seem like you don't think anything from 2011 is worth acknowledging.

/shrug, it reads like that the person just don't think there are much games he likes in 2011, seems plausible if the genres he play is narrow

Top Bottom