• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Xbox One and 360 Were The Top Selling Consoles In December...in USA

Kosma

Banned
If I remember right, MS said they sold 3M Xbox Ones to consumers in 2013, right? That means they sold 1.2M outside of US.

Do we have the "split" of Xbox 360, US/World? Because at first blush, given how US centric the Xbox brand is, having a 5/4 ratio sounds pretty good.

Anyway, I'm glad that Xbox is doing well in the US. Hopefully the demand continues into 2014 and they continue to keep their supply lines replenished. Avatar confusion aside, I'm definitely an Xbox centric gamer, so I want to see them continue to do well and push the XBO to be even better.

I definitely look forward to when Sony can get PS4 supply worldwide fully stocked. The most they can push Microsoft, the better things will be for me!

You believe that MS sold 1.2 million outside the US but only 1.8 million in the US?

That would mean 900k units outside of the UK by the way.

We have some numbers for Spain, Germany and Australia which added up are like 200k.

360 US/EU split is 2:1 , with UK and total EMEA having 1:1 split.

This means that Bone at best would have done around UK numbers in EMEA.

Which puts total Xbone numbers sold to customer at 2.5 million + whatever they sold in canada.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Does that effectively confirm 1.2 mil sold outside the US up through the end of 2013? (If I'm reading it right)

There is just one problem, that if you count out Germany and UK numbers, this would mean almost 700k sold on other 10 markets, which are, minus Italy, smaller....

There is just one problem, that if you count out Germany and UK numbers, this would mean almost 700k sold on other 10 markets, which are, minus Italy, smaller....

Also if you count out sales in Spain it would mean ... almost 700k sold on the other 9 markets.

So xbox one sold slightly less in December than in November.

Can't keep up with all these threads but has anyone considered that xbox was only available for 2 weeks in November vs all of December and what that says for demand for the system?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Price is probably a big factor and, while some of us might prefer one brand or another, a lot of people who mainly buy multi platform games or have no allegiance will just buy the cheaper console, just like most people (at least in the US) did with the 360.

I don't think it would be surprising to see a more expensive console sell less than its competitor when what each console offers is similar (most people don't know or care about the power difference). We will see in the long run, but for now I love my Xbone and don't see why anyone would want it to fail, and I'll be getting my PS4 when Uncharted 4 launches!

Prine

Banned
So for $50-100 less it would have destroyed everything, but at $500 you're amazed how well it's done even though it hasn't sold more in total than the PS4? or even sold out its own stock?

Brand is so strong?!

Youve written it right there. Its neck and neck at $500, which is a feat in itself (and power if the brand), if price was lower it would have destroyed everything. So yes.

level44

Wow...you guys sound bitter.
Are you saying XB1 outselling PS4 in December is somehow MS PR spin?

It doesn't matter if PS4 was supply constrained, that is a problem Sony needs to address similar to how $500 is a problem MS needs to address.

Nope not bitter, just getting tired of the 'in the US" tagline.

Facism

How come Xbox 360 is still selling so much?

Cheap gaming system that has a vast library of great games.

So xbox one sold slightly less in December than in November.

Can't keep up with all these threads but has anyone considered that xbox was only available for 2 weeks in November vs all of December and what that says for demand for the system?

We would have to account for the months of open preorders before general release when considering november.

Youve written it right there. Its neck and neck at $500, which is a feat in itself (and power if the brand), if price was lower it would have destroyed everything. So yes.

Not selling out is a feat? Do you think MS oversupplied the US on purpose? or do you think they didn't sell as many in the US as MS expected?

Top Bottom