• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major VIdeogame Voice Actors Union Considers Strike With #PreformanceMatters Campaign

They have a point, performance has becoming an increasingly important part of gaming. And they are no longer acting in some niche videogame thing, as games have become one of the biggest entertainment mediums in the world.

If you love your job, why would you want to find a new one? When you love your job it's practically not a job. Voice actors are very under appreciated and yet they continue to do the job because they love it.

More power to them if they get everything they want. I just know I'd rather hire the hungry folk that will do just as good a job, and ask for less.

I'm probably alone in this, but I'm getting tired of hearing the same 5-6 voice actors in everything, from my daughters cartoons to my games. It's like they don't care they have so many different characters sound exactly the same.

Nanashrew

Banned
More power to them if they get everything they want. I just know I'd rather hire the hungry folk that will do just as good a job, and ask for less.

I'm probably alone in this, but I'm getting tired of hearing the same 5-6 voice actors in everything, from my daughters cartoons to my games. It's like they don't care they have so many different characters sound exactly the same.

There is definitely a problem with how limited the pool is, but that can also be contributed to the studios from cartoons, anime and games type casting, seeking out one specific voice and nabbing that voice actor for that one specific role. This is why you'll often hear the same voices over, and over again like Troy Baker and Nolan North. Or Rob Paulsen in everything from the 80's through 90's.

sn00zer

Really hard to side on labor disputes without seeing actual payrolls, some things make sense, but really I have zero knowledge on the subject so "picking a side" seems weird.

IoCaster

The #PerformanceMatters hashtag has been gaining steam on Twitter today, with several prominent voice over actors (belonging to SGA-AFTRA, a division of the Screen Actor's Guild) in the gaming industry voting to initiate a potential strike. This is in the effort of contract negotiations, where many VO artists are looking to earn more compensation for their craft.

Sounds great. Make those AAA console devs/pubs bleed for all I care. I absolutely despise this inexorable push to voiced protag and shitty VA in general throughout the industry. Fuck those self indulgent, talentless D-Bag devs and make them pay for the crap dialogue, shitty narrative and execrable plots they've foisted on gamers for years now. Make them cough up blood and stop this endless downward spiral of craptastic game design. I couldn't care less since I don't play AAA console shit and I hope that this would result in less VA crap and more gameplay focused design going forward. Thanks.

TyrantII

Using hollywood as a reference doesnt help their cause. Hollywood actors are criminally overpaid. Same goes for athletes.

People who risk their lives to run into fire and save other peoples lives may take in $100,000 a year if theyre lucky, while someone who pretends to be a secret agent gets $16,000,000 for 6 months of work and an extra $5,000,000 for holding a cell phone.

Like it or not, they also are part of a media venture that brings in hundreds of millions to billions in revenue. Put in that context, and in the context that the commodity is centered around their performance, its not outrageous.

Sports and Hollywood is the least of my concerns about salaries, when those industires bring in insane amounts of revenue. They bring in huge bucks selling a very reasonable priced commodity.

If you want something to be pissed about, be pissed that 45/50 of the higests paid state officials in the States are fucking college football coaches for public universities. Probably not insane for their respective colleges, but it makes taxpayer support on the State level questionable.

entremet

I support them, but I'm not a fan of co-opting terms from other social movements.

Especially since this is essentially a labor dispute and not at the magnitude of dead young men.

Sera O

Banned
I hope the voice actors find some success with this. Their ask doesn't seem unreasonable. The vocal stress thing is real (it is not unheard of for vocalists in metal bands to have to stop due to polyps/permanent damage from all the screaming - I imagine they do it for less time overall than some VAs do, too).

Regardless of how people may feel like the programmers and other people in the industry should get better treatment, they haven't unionized to fight for it, making it a moot point. Unless they are able to come together and negotiate better terms with group action as leverage, most employers won't feel any need to act on it. That's something the software people have to do for themselves - but they have to take that risk, and it seems not enough of them are willing to do it.

It's unfair to say that, just because people in one sector have not been able to organize for leverage, a group of people who have shouldn't try to better their situation.

Nanashrew

Banned
I support them, but I'm not a fan of co-opting terms from other social movements.

Especially since this is essentially a labor dispute and not at the magnitude of dead young men.

They didn't co-opt anything, the hashtag has actually been around for years.

Again, that hashtag existed before BLM came about. The naming is arguably unfortunate, but not derivative.

Walpurgis

Banned
Sounds great. Make those AAA console devs/pubs bleed for all I care. I absolutely despise this inexorable push to voiced protag and shitty VA in general throughout the industry. Fuck those self indulgent, talentless D-Bag devs and make them pay for the crap dialogue, shitty narrative and execrable plots they've foisted on gamers for years now. Make them cough up blood and stop this endless downward spiral of craptastic game design. I couldn't care less since I don't play AAA console shit and I hope that this would result in less VA crap and more gameplay focused design going forward. Thanks.

Whoa there.

Really hard to side on labor disputes without seeing actual payrolls, some things make sense, but really I have zero knowledge on the subject so "picking a side" seems weird.

Yes, I'm not sure about the costs for voice acting either. I'm sort of knowledgeable on the programming and design side though.

Nanashrew

Banned
A post from Wil Wheaton.

This is why I support a SAG-AFTRA strike authorization for video games — and it isn’t about money.
http://wilwheaton.net/2015/09/this-...tion-for-video-games-and-it-isnt-about-money/

I can’t speak to the fairness or unfairness of residuals or lack of residuals for programmers, artists, composers, and others who game developers and publishers, because that’s not my job, and I don’t know what, precisely, their contracts are. I certainly don’t believe that there is some sort of feud or lack of shared interest between us (the actors) and them, and I fully support all the people who work on games — especially the huge blockbuster games that pull in profits that are in line with the biggest blockbuster movies — getting the very best contract, with the best compensation and best working conditions that they possibly can.

But I did not give my union authorization to call a strike on my behalf because of this issue. I voted to authorize a strike because our employers in the games industry refuse to negotiate with us at all about some very, very important issues surrounding our working conditions.

Let me share some excerpts from an email I got from SAG-AFTRA recently (emphasis mine):

You may have heard that billion-dollar companies like Activision, Warner Bros., Disney and Rockstar Games are against sharing any of their record-setting profits with the performers who help make their games awesome. But…

DID YOU KNOW…
Our employers have rejected every proposal that we’ve put on the table? That includes the community’s proposals to reduce vocally stressful sessions to two hours, […]

This, right here, is reason enough to strike, as far as I am concerned. I fully realize that for anyone who doesn’t work as a voice actor it sounds insane to care about vocally stressful sessions. I realize that when you hear that actors want to reduce those sessions to two hours or less, it can easily create an impression that actors are lazy and entitled, and don’t want to work as hard as other people do.

I’ve made you a sample of a few lines from a military game I made up, to help you get started:
Assault-on-DickButt-Island-Call-Outs.png

You’re going to do each of those three times, sometimes four times. You’re also going to do this for three more hours. Don’t worry, you can take a couple of short breaks — and you’ll need them — to drink some more of that tea you’re getting sick of.

If you’ve done this as I asked, it’s now six or seven hours after you started. Don’t talk at all for the rest of the day, and don’t make any plans to go audition for any other voice work for the rest of the week, because your voice is wrecked. Don’t go to any kind of day job that requires you to talk with anyone, either, because you’re not going to be able to do that. Oh, and over years and years of this, it’s going to build up into serious and permanent damage … and then you’re not going to be able to work with your voice anymore.

Far more at the link but I wanted to emphasize his part on vocal stress and how the industry doesn't even care about VA's very much.

Also, everybody in this thread needs to remember that these are ongoing negotiations. Some of the requests might have been inserted just to be used as a chip to be negotiated out.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
They should be happy with having a job and being part of this unique art form. If they want to be greedy, the door is right next to them. They can take that so-called "talent" somewhere else. I play games to PLAY--not to listen to some B-tier wanna be who couldn't make it in Hollywood.

"[Video] games are more like cars or books or comics. The creators aren't the focus. The creation is." --Danny O'Dwyer

empathy is just something some people lack. They have no mental capability of seeing anything beyond their own perception

Its hard to argue that today's games feature a lot of voice acting, and well done voice acting helps shape the characters and the experience. The deserve to be compensated for their work.

True Fire

I agree with the strike, but I hope voice actors realize how replaceable they are.

Heck, fans of Japanese games don't even like English voice acting, so if ATLUS uses Japanese voices it'll probably make them even more popular.

Ashilyn

I agree with the strike, but I hope voice actors realize how replaceable they are.

Heck, fans of Japanese games don't even like English voice acting, so if ATLUS uses Japanese voices it'll probably make them even more popular.

Says you. You'd be surprised just how many people don't give a shit about JP voices, it's a much, much bigger crowd than the hardcore jrpg crowd likes to make people think. They wouldn't do English voices if their fanbase as a whole hated them, just like anime dubs wouldn't still exist if people actually hated dubs as much as the hardcore "fans" try to make people think.

In the modern gaming landscape, VAs aren't as replaceable as people think, particularly if it's a recurring role.

If they manage to get more out of it, more power to them. Personally I don't really care that much and I'm a fan of terrible voice acting (to a degree) as it also can make games more fun.

The only voice actor I ever cared about was Mark Hamil as Joker... and Jenifer Hale as Shepard.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Good luck to all involved: they make our pastime a journey rather than just a shoddy adventure.

Also, I thought preformance was some new type of buzz phrase for a while there...lol.

Illucio

Banned

There's so much sad truth to this that I can even agree to. :/

Star Ocean: The Last Hope being the worst offender of me quickly changing to the Japanese language just because of how bad the English voice acting was.

Says you. You'd be surprised just how many people don't give a shit about JP voices, it's a much, much bigger crowd than the hardcore jrpg crowd likes to make people think. They wouldn't do English voices if their fanbase as a whole hated them, just like anime dubs wouldn't still exist if people actually hated dubs as much as the hardcore "fans" try to make people think.

In the modern gaming landscape, VAs aren't as replaceable as people think, particularly if it's a recurring role.

This is definitely true for me, if I ever play a game with a dub so awful that I can't stand it (still haven't seen one that bad yet) then I'd sooner turn the voices off than switch to the JP voices. The only exception was Tales of Symphonia on PS3, and that was because I didn't want to have to sit through completely silent skits that had no manual advance for the text in them.

Nanashrew

Banned
There's so much sad truth to this that I can even agree to. :/

Star Ocean: The Last Hope being the worst offender of me quickly changing to the Japanese language just because of how bad the English voice acting was.

Bad voice direction. There are some Japanese producers that want their English voice cast to sound closer to the JP voice cast not realizing how different the English language is and how different our mannerisms and dialogue are compared to theirs. The voice cast for Last Hope was actually really good and really well known as some of the best, but the direction ruined that.

Looking it up, Jonathon Klein was the voice director and his previous works are actually pretty good so it's likely that the JP studio got involved.

If studios started getting voice artists that can't act you'll have even worse dubs. Also a game that isn't dubbed in the native language it's being localized in is like sending it to die. Dual audio is preferred by most, but JP audio only kills the game and makes it niche to the nth degree only getting the hardest of core crowd.

The only thing that worries me about a potential shift to non-union work is the recent surge in production companies pulling non-union "voice talent" with minimal acting experience from anime conventions and internet fan projects. I'm not sure if this practice is due to an influx of previously non-union people joining SAG or a if it's just a method of diversifying the talent pool, but I'm finding the performances of these new hires to be... not good (and that's putting it lightly). Plenty of great actors are willing to do non-union work, but I'm worried that the above hiring practice is indicative of things to come. You need to make sure you're hiring actual actors. A lot of my favorite games are narrative driven, and nothing sucks you out of a story like voice acting that isn't up to par.

KageZero

Maybe i have missed it but how much are they being paid and how is the salary system even working for a role such as a voice actor? I suppose you get paid per games basis and how much is the average payment for each role? Sorry if i missed this information somewhere

Heck, fans of Japanese games don't even like English voice acting

There are, being generous, maybe ten thousand people in the US who care about Japanese VA, or who would consider a lacking English track a neutral or positive factor in a game. When your projects are budgeted to sell 20,000 copies in the US this group will make up a solid chunk of your audience, but Atlus (much less anyone who releases actual general-audience titles) sells to a much larger group than that.

This does a great job both of contextualizing the issues with SAG-AFTRA's proposal (I think he's probably right that a scale hike would be a better ask than residuals) and establishing that there are a bunch of quality-of-life issues that desperately need an improved contract.

Illucio

Banned
The only thing that worries me about a potential shift to non-union work is the recent surge in production companies pulling non-union "voice talent" with minimal acting experience from anime conventions and internet fan projects. I'm not sure if this practice is due to an influx of previously non-union people joining SAG or a if it's just a method of diversifying the talent pool, but I'm finding the performances of these new hires to be... not good (and that's putting it lightly). Plenty of great actors are willing to do non-union work, but I'm worried that the above hiring practice is indicative of things to come. You need to make sure you're hiring actual actors. A lot of my favorite games are narrative driven, and nothing sucks you out of a story like voice acting that isn't up to par.

Actually I've found a lot of new talent hired are much better than actual actors and are not credited enough for their work, especially by well known actors. I couldn't stress this enough, they actually do a very incredible job. If I scowl through the list of names now I could probably point out a lot of them. (However I can point out a lot of these actors from animes though, not video games where most people's roles are at a minimal of lines.)

Personally I do think a lot of well established actors feel threatened by this, but I've seen actors at conventions given some of these people cold shoulders because they felt because they we're more experienced as actual actors they are superior/better.

Not to derail from the topic or anything, but I'm sort of hoping there is a strike for the sole purpose of new talent being found during this time. I've met a lot of people with a lot of talent who could really use this strike as their big break and manage to get a few jobs. :/

aliengmr

Yea that seems more than fair. As games start getting more advanced these issues will only get worse.

EDIT: Did I miss the part where the VOs were asking for a pay raise? Residuals is likely a bargaining chip and probably won't happen. So I don't get where all the "greed" talk is coming from.

Yea that seems more than fair. As games start getting more advanced these issues will only get worse.

EDIT: Did I miss the part where the VOs were asking for a pay raise? Residuals is likely a bargaining chip and probably won't happen. So I don't get where all the "greed" talk is coming from.

I think (but I'm not sure) both a pay raise and residuals have been mentioned as being in the proposals, but residuals do seem like the type of thing that could be negotiated away if both sides actually came to the table and started negotiations in good faith (which the Wheaton post makes it seem like the games industry isn't really doing).

aeolist

Banned
publishers don't want to cave on voice actors because they feel it would lead to demands for better working conditions from developers:

time for devs to step up and support this, everyone would benefit

Sulik2

Its a good first step for the games industry if the voice talent can be properly compensated. Its a shame the developers don't do this, but the games industry exploits young programmers who are willing to kill themselves for the job without proper compensation because they are young and passionate. So unionizing will never happen for the people who need it the most.

Alucrid

Banned

There are dozens of us

publishers don't want to cave on voice actors because they feel it would lead to demands for better working conditions from developers:

time for devs to step up and support this, everyone would benefit

Yeah, game devs in general need to unionize. Problem is, the big publishers know there's plenty of bright-eyed college grads who have no idea what they're getting into who can replace anyone who does, which is bullshit, really.

Remf

Just saw this on bbc's website.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34474234

95% of the guild/union approved to strike if need be. I agree with most of their complaints, except for demanding royalties as they are not a deciding factor for someone buying a game. If they push the royalties part then I can see developers just using in house employees to do the roles instead.

A-V-B

I'm all for Unions but I never bought a game because of a Voice Actor, while I watched many a film for an actor or actress.

I've totally bought games for certain directors or artists and what have you.

Who knows what kinds of opportunities a union reform could bring for aspiring actors.

Top Bottom