• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Wii System 3 Update Feature: Keyboard Support! Also, what does this mean?

We don't need folders. All we need is more pages. Then you can set aside separate pages for separate systems or whatever classification you want. Using +- to move between pages you could navigate this interface much faster than you could a folder based structure. Also, it would solve the other problem of people running out of channel slots.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
leroy hacker said:
We don't need folders. All we need is more pages. Then you can set aside separate pages for separate systems or whatever classification you want. Using +- to move between pages you could navigate this interface much faster than you could a folder based structure. Also, it would solve the other problem of people running out of channel slots.

Yeah no. That's like saying you don't need folders to organize your music, that you can keep all of your MP3s (or whatever) in one massive folder.

FUCK THAT.

leroy hacker said:

That would be fine for me. It'd be nice if I could have a logo on each page to match up with their contents, because it's just not the same without a big NES behind NES games.

Mejilan said:
Yeah no. That's like saying you don't need folders to organize your music, that you can keep all of your MP3s (or whatever) in one massive folder.

FUCK THAT.

Imagine when you press plus, you're opening a folder. But that folder opens really, really fast

The people that are complaining/hoping for a folder system within the Wii Channels menu should read the Iwata Asks set of interviews that were posted here some time back.
If my memory serves me right, it was stated by the Wii OS developers that they actually did have the VC games set out into folders/sub-folders relating to system but upon further review decided to make the individual games into easily accessible channels since they thought that way would be better and more related to how you view channels on a TV.
If you're hoping that they will implement the folders again, then hoping isn't going to be enough, send them as much emails as possible to get that feature back in, and give examples of how the Channels system for individual games has become a drawback to you with pics/videos etc. That's probably the only way they will listen.

dkeane

The problem with folders is they don't make any sense in context to the channel system. It's not like when I get to channel 6 on my TV I have 30 sport channel options. I do agree they need more channels pages and i want to be able to reach the last page and go "forward" to the first page.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Easy solution.

NES Channel.
NES VC games = "programming"

Like the new shop channel news bite said, about all of the new search features and whatnot added. What worked before, wasn't working well enough once the VC hit the triple digits.

Very cool, I found that it works! I may actually be messaging with my Wii alot more often now. It is not only a game console, it is also a home computer! :D

Evlar

Banned
Awesome. Now I've just got to figure out if I can find a way to use my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard already in my living room.

loosus

Banned
Nintendo most likely doesn't like the idea, but they're going to have to start programming "components" or "controls," as in Windows. If they did, they could've updated a textbox control, and every program that used the control (e.g., the message board, the Internet Channel, the Wii configuration pages, etc.) would latch on to it and basically be updated themselves, complete with keyboard use.

Actually, that by itself may not do the trick (although controls still need to be implemented), but Nintendo needs to start creating library files that any program can use and that can be updated.

The keyboard support is definitely a step in the right direction, though. Nintendo needs more of this.

Mason

I don't understand why Nintendo releases these updates without sending out a press release explaining what they do. Why would you add features and leave it to people to randomly discover them?

mepaco

Instead of folders why not have some form of filter/tag system. Tags could be systems (NES, SNES, etc.) or any other type of category (sports, Mario, etc). Then when you applied the tag/filter, you would just get the channels that match. This seems to still support the concept they are going for and people would be free to ignore it if they wanted to.

This is awesome... I'm gonna have to look into a wireless board now.

I hope that when the support is added to the Internet Channel that Opera add the ability to just tab to fields and type in them without having to click them with the Wiimote though.

Now this is a really nice surprise. This can't be Reggie's september surprise right? If he did not even hype this, then I actually have some hope that one will actually be something good.

Zeppu

Can anyone confirm that the Mac keyboard wired/wireless works with the Wii...

Its exaaaactly the right colour/style...i'll get one immediatly if anyone can tell me it works :)

Saoh

wow O_O can´t wait to go home and try to see if mine works.

sucks that i only have one USB keyboard in my house :lol

btw, fuck is not censored anymore?

Wario64 said:
You know what this means?

TYPING OF THE FUCKING DEAD 2

DO IT SEGA.
WOOHOO!
Gawd that was a great game! That's how I learned to type! :lol

josephdebono said:

Its exaaaactly the right colour/style...i'll get one immediatly if anyone can tell me it works :)
Wow... spoken like a true Mac Fanboi! It simply MUST fit in with my decor! lol
erskates
!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
TheGreatDave said:
I'm starting to think we'll never have games running off the SD slot. I don't know what it is, but the interface seems so slow. Copying over an N64 game can take 5 minutes, in the case of Ocarina it was nearly 10. I'm not too technical on this stuff (somebody fill in the blanks for me) but maybe the read/write speed of the SD slot itself is really slow?

This is just speculation, but I think that's due to encrypting/decrypting on the fly while writing/reading the ROM's to the card.

vitaflo

Mason said:
I don't understand why Nintendo releases these updates without sending out a press release explaining what they do. Why would you add features and leave it to people to randomly discover them?

It's Nintendo's alternate reality game.

Zeppu

JohnyDeepthroat said:
Wow... spoken like a true Mac Fanboi! It simply MUST fit in with my decor! lol
erskates
!

heh yeah true spoken like a mac fanboi. too bad i never had one/wanted one/used one (except regent street as a free internet café)

koam

TheGreatDave said:
Imagine when you press plus, you're opening a folder. But that folder opens really, really fast

So basically, going to page 20 is faster than click on SNES and then super metroid?

What happens when you have more than 12 games per console. You fail at UI, maybe Nintendo will hire you.

loosus

Banned
later said:
So, no wireless keyboard support? :(
Most likely, a self-contained dongle would work. That is, it would need to do all the heavy lifting itself, without relying on the computer to do anything -- and certainly not require a specialty driver of any sort.

As it is, the Wii simply recognizes the keyboard as a HID class device. That's why no driver is required per keyboard. Obviously, any dongle that required a driver would go beyond that.

Evlar

Banned
josephdebono said:

Well, the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard requires... bluetooth, and so far there's no way to sync directly with the Wii's built-in Bluetooth transmitter. It would require a USB Bluetooth dongle, which I haven't tried yet but I kinda doubt would work.

jee

wow.. even my bluetooth keyboard worked.. of course had to use the dongle though. i guess it just means the dongle isn't just a regular bluetooth dongle but has also something just for the keyboard.

Jirotrom

jee said:
wow.. even my bluetooth keyboard worked.. of course had to use the dongle though. i guess it just means the dongle isn't just a regular bluetooth dongle but has also something just for the keyboard.
link to keyboard... on newegg for future price guaging reference please.

jee said:
I'm surprised that the bluetooth dongle works fine, since normally those things require drivers when plugged into a PC.

My logitech wireless keyboard works fine too.

Top Bottom