• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesius

That definitely. I flew a ton as a kid but then throughout my teens got really scared. Ultimately I had to get over it for professional reasons as I was scared but wasn't going to let it materially alter my life. Part of what helped me get over it was reading a bunch of Ask the Pilot (really fun and interesting views on commercial aviation and common fears and myths) and also I think when I had to suck it up was around the election and I remember thinking these guys are on a jet like 20x/day it's just not that big a deal. Now I'm pretty much totally fine with it.

Yep. What comforts me is to look around at all the business travelers/frequent fliers on the plane. They fly constantly and are so desensitized to the process that there's no fear left whatsoever. Most of them just get in their seat and go straight to sleep.

It's the same way I am in a car on a long road trip. I've fallen asleep in the back seats of cars where the drivers were acquaintances whom I barely knew. I knew nothing about their driving history or previous accidents, but I felt totally safe and comfortable to the point of falling asleep.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Some people actually survived the fall from Pan Am 103, I was watching a while back an interview of one of the first responders on the scene of the wreckage who found a person who was still alive but died before they could rescue him.
There are a lot of great ones, but Juliane Koepcke is my favorite sole-survivor story. Falls 10,000 feet into the middle of the jungle and spends nine days (injured) finding her way out. If you scripted it, it wouldn't be remotely believable.

Smokey

this fucking terrifies me

im taking my first flight in like 6 years and my first over water in june when i go to hawaii

stats i know i know

condolences to the families :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I booked a flight recently and it is a night time flight. More chances of crashing at night:(

My friend just flew there for her rotation. I fly to Manila in 3 weeks on a 777. Just gotta remind myself I'm more likely to die driving to airport than on a plane.

My friend just flew there for her rotation. I fly to Manila in 3 weeks on a 777. Just gotta remind myself I'm more likely to die driving to airport than on a plane.
Thats a bad luck Brian outline if I've ever heard one.

*Reminds self that dying while driving to airport is more likely than dying on a plane*

*Dies on the way to the airport*

All the best, Inquisitor.

Imm0rt4l

I booked a flight recently and it is a night time flight. More chances of crashing at night:(
I don't think so, not on a commercial flight anyways. Its one thing if you're flying a Cessna without an instrument rating but a commercial aircraft? I'm incredulous. Either way its not really probable.

WoodWERD

I just don't see how a plane could just go missing.

I hope we have some news on this soon.

That's what I said. Seems the likeliest news is finding some of the wreckage :\

"It was two hours into the flight -- this would have been classed as the 'cruise portion of the flight,'" he said. "You break down the flight into taxi, take-off, climb out and then cruise.

"So in that particular point of the flight, this is the safest part, nothing is supposed to go wrong. The aircraft is at altitude on auto-pilot, the pilots are making minor corrections and changes for height as the plane burns off fuel -- the plane will be going higher and higher -- so this is extremely serious that something happened at this point in the flight."

Greg Feith, a former investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in the United States, suggested the pilots should have been able to report in, even if power on the aircraft had failed.

"The airplane by certification has to have battery back-up power -- they still have to be able to utilize certain flight instruments and communication tools to complete the flight safely. So you could lose all the generators, you could have both engines out, but the battery back-up -- which will only work for a certain time -- is intended for emergency situations."

Goes on to speculate that the plane might have lost pressure which would have only given the pilots a few seconds of consciousness.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/travel/malaysia-airliner-analysis/

Aesius

The chances are just so, so low.

Would you feel nervous about taking a Greyhound bus for the same amount of time as the flight? Or even a train? Much higher risk of dying in those.

DiscoJer

I don't think so, not on a commercial flight anyways. Its one thing if you're flying a Cessna without an instrument rating but a commercial aircraft? I'm incredulous. Either way its not really probable.

Maybe not crashing, but landing at the wrong airport. Didn't that happen twice in the last year so far?

Imm0rt4l

Maybe not crashing, but landing at the wrong airport. Didn't that happen twice in the last year so far?
Sure but thats pilot error. Day or night has little to do with landing at the wrong airport. This stuff is instrument based so its not like your likely to crash into the ground because the pilot cant see the ground due to say somehing like fog.

NastyBook

I hated flying to New York the first time about 9 years ago. Feeling those tires pull into the plane just unnerved me. Teared up bigtime. The worst part was that we had to two flights going and coming, so all I could think about were the chances of something bad happening. I felt better on the flights back, but flying is just something I don't see myself doing often.

I really hope those people are all right.

Darren870

Says who? Maybe a bus or a car, but a plane?

I go through phases of where I'm scared to fly and then days I don't care. I have a 40+ hour flight path in 2 weeks....can't wait!!

(Brazil -> London -> Singapore -> Australia in 2.5 days)

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Had 6 flights in the last 3 weeks and they were smooth as all hell ... I love flying and stories like this still bother me. I always wonder what I would do. Even though I fly a lot, I can't fall asleep on a plane. I wish I could though.

Love lift off and landing.

Hope the flight went down somewhere safely.

Prayers are with them

terrisus

I wanna see da evidense.

The chances are just so, so low.

Would you feel nervous about taking a Greyhound bus for the same amount of time as the flight? Or even a train? Much higher risk of dying in those.

Sure but thats pilot error. Day or night has little to do with landing at the wrong airport. This stuff is instrument based so its not like your likely to crash into the ground because the pilot cant see the ground due to say somehing like fog.

Yeah, pilots are supposed to be able to fly completely by instrument if need be. Daytime versus night time should make next to no difference whatsoever.

It's not like you have the pilot leaning out of the window, looking around, and saying, "Now, was it a left or a right at the fork to get to LAX?"

baekshi

Banned
http://hosted.ap.org/interactives/2014/malaysia-missing-plane/
details of plane

• Pilot: Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah of Malaysia, 53
Flight hours: 18,365
Joined Malaysian Airlines in 1981

First officer: Fariq Hamid of Malaysian, 27
Flight hours: 2,763 hours
Joined Malaysia Airlines in 2007

• 227 passengers from 14 countries, including one infant each from China and the U.S., and 12 crew members:
China: 153
Malaysia: 38
Indonesia: 12
Australia: 7
France: 3
US: 4
New Zealand: 2
Ukraine: 2
Canada: 2
Russia: 1
Italy: 1
Taiwan: 1
Netherlands: 1
Austria: 1

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If you are in a plane that crashes you are most likely going to die. It's a simple fact that some people fail to comprehend.

Completely false.

But what if you're onboard that 1 in 1.2 million flights that ends up in an accident? Surprisingly, you're much more likely to walk away from an airline accident than you are to perish. In fact, a staggering 95.7 percent of people involved in plane crashes survive. Even in the most serious class of crashes, more than 76 percent survive

There is no way whatsoever to spin the numbers to make driving safer. Not without wandering into the realm of pure irrationality.

DJ88

UPDATE [12:37]: Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean. According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraft-goes-missing--says-airline-023820132.html

That's just horrible news. Still can't believe that there was no contact and the plane crashed randomly.

Mononoke

Banned
UPDATE [12:37]: Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean. According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.

Well that's just awful. Fuck. Very sad news.

Still holding on that this was an emergency landing and not a crash.

It is possible to water land a plane in distress, as was done in the Hudson several years ago. A crash landing in the ocean doesn't necessarily mean everyone died.

A river and an ocean are two different bodies of water though. And they haven't even been found yet :/

Sad ending. How does a plane suddenly disappear?

dammit, how unfortunate as the flight plan showed the plane traveling over land most of the trip. RIP to those on board :(
1623b220502a78dd4c58d0864e32453038e1ed0c.jpg

Twio

This really is heart wrenching. All those people gone in the bat of an eye. R.I.P and may the best come to their families and loved ones.

Yopis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom