• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male and female Link on Nintendo E3 Lanyards?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Guys, focus intently on the face. It's very masculine.

shaowebb

I think the link on the right is showing a shoulder. You can see the sleeve and glove. Thats not a boob so is everyone thinking this by the face? Link's so androgynous that how could you tell by that?

kadotsu

Banned
I also always turn into a girl when I look up and wear a hoodie.

The Zelda games should totally get a woman PC but this isn't evidence.

I can't roll my eyes any further.

Whoaa your avatar looks just like the official art but Impa's emblem is TOTALLY on the arrow

female Link confarmed

Honestly, though, I really do hope there's a female Link in this game.

Just to rustle your jimmies. (you know who you are.)

Kyari

Why do people clamor so much for a female Link ? Not that I think it would be a bad thing, but is it just the trendy thing people want for Zelda to be different ?

Like any medium, different people identify with different protagonists in stories. Given that just as many women play games as men, why not want gender diversity on a character that has intentionally been an almost blank slate since his inception to allow the player to step into his shoes?

I doubt it's Link.......just someone else who is also important to the franchise B-)

David Jr.

Etria

It is just from the two official pieces of artwork that have been released so far. Different angles for Link's face, but I think it's stretching to say that one is male and the other female.

Looking at the full image I don't think it's a female version. Too flat chested, and given current Nintendo's pandering to otaku you know that wouldn't happen in a thousand years. It's Link.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What is going on with these threads tonight lol

Crocodile

This is like a textbook case of "I want this to be true so I'll look for anything and see anything that could make it true". It totally could be true but LMAO if you think this is evidence of that. Just wait for tomorrow everybody :)

Looking at the full image I don't think it's a female version. Too flat chested, and given current Nintendo's pandering to otaku you know that wouldn't happen in a thousand years. It's Link.

I legit can't tell if this is sarcasm. I hope its sarcasm. Nintendo makes a pretty wide range of games for a wide range of audiences.

You got me though if that was bait :p

This is like a textbook case of "I want this to be true so I'll look for anything and see anything that could make it true". It totally could be true but LMAO if you think this is evidence of that. Just wait for tomorrow everybody :)

I legit can't tell if this is sarcasm. I hope its sarcasm. Nintendo makes a pretty wide range of games for a wide range of audiences.

You got me though if that was bait :p

Given recent Fire Emblem games, FE, and blue Samus suit do you really think that if Nintendo were to make a female Link that she would be so flat chested? No fucking way. Not modern Nintendo.

Given recent Fire Emblem games, FE, and blue Samus suit do you really think that if Nintendo were to make a female Link that she would be so flat chested? No fucking way. Not modern Nintendo.

I like to think the world of Zelda tends to be a little more tasteful than that. It's not often you see a fanservicey character walking around in a Zelda game (one that isn't musou anyway)

FE is one property that only like 12 people were still buying. And even it has a large variety of body types in female characters. I mean, Awakening spawned the "1000 year old dragon" meme.

The Zero Suit has been around for over a decade and it's really just an updated version of a costume from 1986.

Not sure why an androgynous character model would be unlikely from Nintendo.

MoonFrog

I'll be in a car going through Oklahoma or Texas during the Treehouse event. I really hope that I can get the stream on my phone. I don't want the controversy/excitement surrounding this issue to drown out everything else going on if I end up just reading the thread as it happens. I'm leaning to thinking there will be a choice because of the Rogers rumor. I hope she has a strong and not too cutesy design if it happens, but I'd be good with just the male Link we've been seeing.

I'm really curious/anxious with the gameplay direction they're going in. This game will make or break E3 for me. Maybe I'll just look for a press live blog. They'll get the big picture ideas out at least.

ampere

Since Link is barely a character there might as well be a girl version. I like it.

Def agree. I prefer Link not having dialog so it just means new "hyaaaa" sound effects and the alternate art.

Debunked? Well it'd be cool if they do have a female version of Link anyway.

I like to think the world of Zelda tends to be a little more tasteful than that. It's not often you see a fanservicey character walking around in a Zelda game (one that isn't musou anyway)

Looking at Zelda, most incarnations of her as either an adult or teenager have her as either average or fairly large in bust size. Especially TP Zelda. Midna also has a large bust. Ruto has Zora boobs. If there were a female Link she would not be so small in the breasts. Fan service is one thing, but I don't think Nintendo would make female Link have such small breasts given their history of adult female character designs.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They don't look all that different...

Link has always seemed androgynous. I'd gladly play a female Link, but this is counting your eggs before they hatch. Hopefully it's true.

Crocodile

Are we talking about the same Fire Emblem series that also has Lucina front and center, avatar characters for both genders in Robin and Corrin, etc? It's not mono-Camilla type characters. It's also not like the Zelda series isn't filled with prominent female characters (so you can get a sense of how most of them tend to be designed). Its not like Nintendo doesn't have an array of family friendly IPs and have demonstrated they can strike a balance when need be. Like I'm not sure why you would expect a "bombshell" for any hypothetical female Link.

Looking at Zelda, most incarnations of her as either an adult or teenager have her as either average or fairly large in bust size. Especially TP Zelda. Midna also has a large bust. Ruto has Zora boobs. If there were a female Link she would not be so small in the breasts. Fan service is one thing, but I don't think Nintendo would make female Link have such small breasts given their history of adult female character designs.

This post ... I felt so weird reading this. Sorry.

Are we talking about the same Fire Emblem series that also has Lucina front and center, avatar characters for both genders in Robin and Corrin, etc? It's not mono-Camilla type characters. It's also not like the Zelda series isn't filled with prominent female characters (so you can get a sense of how most of them tend to be designed). Its not like Nintendo doesn't have an array of family friendly IPs and have demonstrated they can strike a balance when need be. Like I'm not sure why you would expect a "bombshell" for any hypothetical female Link.

Where did I say Nintendo would make female Link a bombshell? I just said they wouldn't make her flat chested. She'd probably be average in that area.

Identical to the point where it almost doesn't matter regardless of what happens, but I expect an embarrassing online reaction either way.

Honestly the rumoured voice acting has me way more interested.

Top Bottom