• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male and female Link on Nintendo E3 Lanyards?

balgajo

Saw Dishonored gameplay just now. I'm ready to be disappointed if instead of doing something great like having two different protagonists Nintendo just choose to genderbend Link.

BTA

Saw Dishonored gameplay just now. I'm ready to be disappointed if instead of doing something great like having two different protagonists Nintendo just choose to genderbend Link.

I hadn't thought of this in the context of Dishonored 2 yet, hmm. They're very different games, though, and I'd be fine with there being minimal differences. I do expect that comparisons will be made regardless, of course.

Actually doing two unique protagonists would be great.

I've long whined about having a real "Zelda" game, but having a modern game with Zelda and Link as choosable protagonists could be damn great. Even just having the more Dishonored 2 style choice would be great.

Probably not happening, but whatever.

OVDRobo

Just looks like two different pieces of art of the same old Link to me.

I can understand why people might want this to be a thing, but don't be too angry if it's not. In my experience Nintendo are possibly one of the slowest moving video game companies around and rarely listen to fan feedback.

We might get a female Link in the next Zelda title, but probably not this one. I could be completely wrong of course and hopefully we'll know after their stream later.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They look like the same dude Link to me. The "long hair" I think you'r seeing is a perspective thing with his mutton chops.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In 99% of cases you could do a complete asset swap with associate text and the entire experience of most/all mainline TLoZs wouldn't suffer. Anecdotal, but I'm confident the series also has an impressively large following from women.

So yeah. Hopefully this has male/female variants of Link.

Link always had a very androgynous look.
I don't believe those to be two different genders until it's officially announced.
They really don't look that different to me.

I'm all for female heroines in games, go Horizon, and / or a more "strong" depiction of female chars.
But i'm also in the "Link is a character"-camp, so i hope that Link stays male. I also would like a Zelda game where Zelda's and Link's roles are swapped and she is the playable heroine ... you know, wisdom can save the world, too. ^^

In 99% of cases you could do a complete asset swap with associate text and the entire experience of most/all mainline TLoZs wouldn't suffer. Anecdotal, but I'm confident the series also has an impressively large following from women.

So yeah. Hopefully this has male/female variants of Link.
Hm true that, but as of now, those women playing and enjoying Zelda games to date were able to deal with a male protagonist, i just don't see the necessity for a gender-swap now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anecdotal, but I'm confident the series also has an impressively large following from women.

Link is their bishie. Trust. When I was on another board years ago there was a thread where we joked Link was female. As you can expect there was backlash for ever suggesting such a thing, but interestingly a lot of it came from females upset that we were trying to remove their husbando from them.

Ban Puncher

7HjKd.gif

Beth Cyra

I'm all for female heroines in games, go Horizon, and / or a more "strong" depiction of female chars.
But i'm also in the "Link is a character"-camp, so i hope that Link stays male. I also would like a Zelda game where Zelda's and Link's roles are swapped and she is the playable heroine ... you know, wisdom can save the world, too. ^^

Hm true that, but as of now, those women playing and enjoying Zelda games to date were able to deal with a male protagonist, i just don't see the necessity for a gender-swap now.
Many of those women have wanted Female Link for a very long time and have "dealt" with it because they had no choice.

Link is a character but so was Shepard and being male or female Shepard didn't change the character it was the choices that did it. So even if a female option is there it doesn't need to change the males character any.

Draeter

Banned
This doesnt prove anything at all, its just the only art that had been released. I dont believe for a second they are going to make a female character that looks just like the male one.

We may have a female link in the end, but both pieces of art represent the male one and you are fucking crazy. This is some extreme levels of confirmation bias. Its almost pathetic

KevinCow

Banned
I want my female Link to have huge boobs. Like at least DD.

I mean, as long as we're giving our opinions on this hypothetical female Link's boob size.

Many of those women have wanted Female Link for a very long time and have "dealt" with it because they had no choice.

Link is a character but so was Shepard and being male or female Shepard didn't change the character it was the choices that did it. So even if a female option is there it doesn't need to change the males character any.
Shepard was also always more avatar-like and you can make him/her look like you want. That's not the case with Link. I might be male and have (very dark) blonde hair, but i sure am not able to identify as Link in terms of optics. ;)

I understand that Link as an avatar thinking, at least for games pre N64 that's true, but ever since the 3D games, Link was taylored more as a character.

Simbabbad

I also would like a Zelda game where Zelda's and Link's roles are swapped and she is the playable heroine ... you know, wisdom can save the world, too. ^^
It's absurd.

Playable Zelda would make a lick of sense only if it's a RTS spin-off, something like Civilization, or side stuff like Hyrule Warriors. She's the leader of Hyrule, she won't explore around alone, it wouldn't make any sense. The Legend of Zelda is about a nobody becoming a hero through adventure and fighting, a grain of sand nobody noticed gripping a master plan - making the princess the hero makes no sense at all. Just the fact nobody knows who Link is and you can inhabit the character plays a crucial part in the series vs. everybody obviously recognizing the ruler of Hyrule. It's a silly idea that goes against everything in the series. It'd make much more sense to have a customizable Link, including gender, even though there is no proof or even hint whatsoever that it'll happen here except a handful of obsessed people desperately wanting it to happen.

Link is their bishie. Trust. When I was on another board years ago there was a thread where we joked Link was female. As you can expect there was backlash for ever suggesting such a thing, but interestingly a lot of it came from females upset that we were trying to remove their husbando from them.
Don't guys generally pick a woman as the hero when they can? And why the contempt by talking about "husbando"?

Beth Cyra

Shepard was also always more avatar-like and you can make him/her look like you want. That's not the case with Link. I might be male and have (very dark) blonde hair, but i sure am not able to identify as Link in terms of optics. ;)

I understand that Link as an avatar thinking, at least for games pre N64 that's true, but ever since the 3D games, Link was taylored more as a character.
Eh I disagree there is really no more of a character that really defines them.

And while you can edit Shepards look there has always been a canon Shepard/default character. I really don't see how adding a female Link takes away the males character. Just adds a new take.

Top Bottom