• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male birth control shot found effective, but side effects cut study short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both men and women are responsible for pregnancy, yet the burden of preventing it often falls on one gender. Women can choose from a variety of options to control fertility while for generations, men have been limited to withdrawal, condoms and sterilization. But someday soon, a new method may allow men to shoulder a greater share of responsibility.

A new hormonal birth control shot for men effectively prevented pregnancy in female partners, a new study found.
The study, co-sponsored by the United Nations and published Thursday in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, tested the safety and effectiveness of a contraceptive shot in 320 healthy men in monogamous relationships with female partners. Conducted at health centers around the world, enrollment began on a rolling basis in September 2008. The men, who ranged in age from 18 to 45, underwent testing to ensure that they had a normal sperm count at the start.

The injection, given every eight weeks, consisted of 1,000 milligrams of a synthetic form of testosterone and 200 milligrams of norethisterone enanthate, essentially a derivative of the female hormones progesterone and estrogen referred to as "progestin" in the synthetic form.
According to Dr. Seth Cohen, a urologist at NYU Langone Medical Center, when a man is given a shot of testosterone, "basically, the brain assumes the body is getting enough," so the body shuts down its own production of testosterone -- specifically "the testicle's production of testosterone as well as the testicle's production of sperm."
The progestin "further drives the brain malfunction, so it stops the testicle's production of both testosterone and sperm," explained Cohen, who was not involved in the new study.
The researchers used a combination of hormones in order to reduce the testosterone dose to a level that they believed, based on previous studies, would effectively lower fertility yet still be safe.
During the ramp-up pre-efficacy stage of the study, the couples were instructed to use non-hormonal birth control methods, while the men participants received shots and provided semen samples until their sperm counts dropped to less than 1 million per milliliter in two consecutive tests. At that point, couples relied on the injections as contraception.
Throughout the study, the men provided semen samples to ensure that their sperm counts stayed low. Once the participants stopped receiving the injections, they were monitored to see whether and how quickly their sperm counts recovered to levels described as "fertile" by the World Health Organization.
The researchers discovered that the shot effectively held the sperm count at 1 million per milliliter or less within 24 weeks for 274 of the participants. The contraceptive method was effective in nearly 96% of continuing users.
Four pregnancies (resulting in three live births) occurred among the men's partners, all during the phase where other contraception was required. All the babies were normal, noted Doug Colvard, co-author of the study and deputy director for programs at the nonprofit research organization CONRAD, Eastern Virginia Medical School, a co-sponsor of the study.

Sounds great so why was it shut down?

However, due to side effects, particularly depression and other mood disorders, the researchers decided in March 2011 to stop the study earlier than planned, with the final participants completing in 2012.

Overall, 20 men dropped out early due to side effects. A total of 1,491 adverse events were reported by participants, including injection site pain, muscle pain, increased libido and acne. The researchers say that nearly 39% of these symptoms -- including one death by suicide -- were unrelated to the shots.

Still, there were problems. After 52 weeks in recovery, eight participants had not returned to fertility. The researchers continued to follow these men individually, and five eventually regained normal sperm counts over a longer period of time. One volunteer did not fully recover within four years, though he did "partially recover, so whether he is actually fertile is not known," Colvard said.

Colvard and his co-authors say more research is needed as they work to perfect their cocktail of hormonal contraceptives in an attempt to reduce the risk of side effects, including depression, increased sex drive and acne.

But wait doesn't that sound familiar?

"I immediately thought of the recent findings on female birth control," Elisabeth Lloyd said of a study published last month in the journal JAMA Psychiatry. A faculty scholar at the Kinsey Institute, she is a professor of biology and an adjunct professor of philosophy at Indiana University Bloomington.
"Twenty percent or 30% of the women who take oral birth control pills experience depression and have to take medication for it. So the difference just struck me," said Lloyd, who is unaffiliated with the new study. "They terminated this study once it showed 3% depression for the men."

"It shows that it's a risk, a low-probability risk of it, and it's not to be sneezed at as a risk of it, surely," Lloyd said, adding that this risk needs to be compared with those involved in hormonal birth control for women, such as potentially fatal strokes and blood clots.
"These risks of fertility damage are not fatal risks like the women endure with their birth control," said Lloyd. "You have to compare what women are doing in terms of taking hormones with what men are doing in terms of taking hormones. Are they taking their life in their hands when they take the hormones? Women are. And that needs to be put right up in front when considering the risk."

Fascinating really a study within a study. Women are expected to be essentially the gatekeepers of pregnancy prevention and undergo all the issues that come with it, the first serious attempt to bring men into that equation gets shut down early because of the very same side effects (at a lower rate) that medicine has deemed acceptable for women to undergo.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/30/health/male-birth-control/

Edit:

Should have included this part

Cohen questions the general safety of hormonal birth control -- for anyone.

"We're talking about young people, and the scary thing is messing around with young people's hormones, and that can be detrimental for the rest of their life, right?" Cohen said. "You take an 18-year-old girl or a 20-year-old boy and mess around with their hormones, you've really altered possibly how they go through their life.

"If anything, this may wake us up to finding out better hormonal contraceptives for women, right? Because certainly, I know that a lot of young women don't get the type of counseling that maybe they deserve when it comes to contraception," Cohen said. "Just a (prescription) and a visit to Duane Reade is all they get, and that may not be enough."

She's right it's not happening and probably won't happen though.

The double standard is still hilarious

Woorloog

Banned
Fascinating really a study within a study. Women are expected to be essentially the gatekeepers of pregnancy prevention and undergo all the issues that come with it, the first serious attempt to bring men into that equation gets shut down early because of the very same side effects (at a lower rate) that medicine has deemed acceptable for women to undergo.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/30/health/male-birth-control/

I wonder if the standards for acceptable medicine have changed? I mean, if contraceptive pills for women were invented now, maybe they'd be deemed unacceptable as well?

1k mg of some sort of testosterone every eight weeks sounds ridiculously low. No wonder dudes were getting depressed. Sounds like their nat test production shut down for quite a god damn while.

Wonder what the half-life on what they used was.

ccbfan

27 billion condoms was sold last year so saying birth control is mostly a burden of women seems incorrect.

EYEL1NER

Eh, depression isn't too bad a side effect for me personally. Some of the other ones sound kind of bad though. I don't know if permanent infertility is a risk I would take either.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
missing from the op but important

Cohen questions the general safety of hormonal birth control -- for anyone.

"We're talking about young people, and the scary thing is messing around with young people's hormones, and that can be detrimental for the rest of their life, right?" Cohen said. "You take an 18-year-old girl or a 20-year-old boy and mess around with their hormones, you've really altered possibly how they go through their life.

"If anything, this may wake us up to finding out better hormonal contraceptives for women, right? Because certainly, I know that a lot of young women don't get the type of counseling that maybe they deserve when it comes to contraception," Cohen said. "Just a (prescription) and a visit to Duane Reade is all they get, and that may not be enough."

the actual conclusion seems to be if hormonal birth control has side effects for men and woman they should be looking for alternatives for woman not forcing the same problems on men.

bman94

Depression < Getting laid.

But for real, I'll stick with condoms. I have ever no issue with them. As matter of fact me and my partner use condoms and I pull out. Leave no chances. Did this even when she was on birth control.

the actual conclusion seems to be if hormonal birth control has side effects for men and woman they should be looking for alternatives for woman not forcing the same problems on men.

Sure but they aren't...

I actually agree and teah you're right should have included it.

RowdyReverb

Yikes, the possibility of it being irreversible is pretty frightening.
Side effects of female hormonal contraception do exist, but that is not one of them to my knowledge

laoni

Yikes, the possibility of it being irreversible is pretty frightening.
Side effects of female hormonal contraception do exist, but that is not one of them to my knowledge

From what my doctor has told me, there's a chance what I'm on now will leave me infertile. But, it's a very uncommon birth control

Xe4

Banned
I wonder if the standards for acceptable medicine have changed? I mean, if contraceptive pills for women were invented now, maybe they'd be deemed unacceptable as well?
It's what I think is the case too. They were approved during a time when it was thought that the side effects were worth it. Now we do not think so.

Science in general has come around more to recognizing hoe damaging the side effects of some drugs are, and are much more cognizent of it.

I'm still looking forward to the Vasalgel, which is basically a non hormonal reversal vasectomy. Unfortunately it's still in stage 2.

RowdyReverb

From what my doctor has told me, there's a chance what I'm on now will leave me infertile. But, it's a very uncommon birth control
May I ask what type? Professional curiosity
Yeah some just get fatal strokes instead.
If your doctor is responsible, they should be screening for risk factors for coagulopathies before starting you on contraceptives, but it's true that there is a slightly increased risk.

IUD's are pretty god damn stellar. Copper ones last ten years, are *very* cheap and, last i checked, had a better track record at preventing pregnancies than condoms or the pill.

Hormonal IUD's are even better, since they often reduce/eliminate blood flow. Price goes up and they "only" last 5 years tho.

Sadly, apparently, if you've never given birth, they can be quite painful to put in place.

Wish there was a male version, tbqh.

laoni

May I ask what type? Professional curiosity

Goserelin. Only temporary, I usually took a noresthisterone/mestranol combo pill. I was on straight noresthisterone for a while too in combination with the goserelin, but that was just annoying, so the gyno took me off the noresthisterone and left me with the goserelin

guek

Banned
Ya know, I really wouldn't take any news outlet's interpretation of a paper or study at face value, this one included. They have a horrible track record when it comes to relaying conclusions without bias or exaggeration. Testosterone is also a very different hormone compared to estrogen and progesterone despite all being androgen derivatives. Without reading the actual study, we have no way of knowing what they mean by depression and other mood disorders, the severity of those side effects, or how long they lasted after therapy ended.

Seriously, don't get riled up over news headlines about scientific papers.

laoni

Ya know, I really wouldn't take any news outlet's interpretation of a paper or study at face value, this one included. They have a horrible track record when it comes to relaying conclusions without bias or exaggeration. Testosterone is also a very different hormone compared to estrogen and progesterone despite all being androgen derivatives. Without reading the actual study, we have no way of knowing what they mean by depression and other mood disorders, the severity of those side effects, or how long they lasted after therapy ended.

The full study's linked in the article

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/jc.2016-2141

Well there are more invasive options (than merely taking a pill) for women that have less side effects AFAIK. No need to ban the pill if there are other ways for the women who react negatively to it.
For men it's only vasectomy.

Btw what happened to the alternative to vasectomy that is just one injection to physically block the sperm for 10 years and is easily reversible at any time?
That sounded better, cheaper and more convenient than what they tested in this study anyway.
Edt: damn it, wasn't it 10 years 10 years ago already?

Lots of random sex partners for me at the moment so I have to use condoms anyway... just would be nice to have additional protection of the only STD that can actually affect my life nowadays :p

Xe4

Banned

Aperrently, some effects were perminant, which is kind of scary, but it's impossible to know how comments and severe this was.

Companies spend a lot of money on new medicine, so I'm sure it was not cancelled without good reason.

Zubz

Banned
Aren't those just the side-effects of birth control? Dudes need something that's not terrifying like vasalgel; they should've kept going.

Alienfan

This has been one of the most circulated articles on my Facebook feed, pretty much with runway titles like "men too weak to handle what women have been taking for decades"... kind of simplifying the issue perhaps too much (they aren't directly comparable first of all) and quite a disgusting attitude considering we shouldn't be shaming ANYONE for not wanting to take medication because it causes severe side effects. Women who get severe depression while taking the pill are strongly advised to stop taking those meds immediately as well; hell any symptoms and you'll find doctors will recommend alternatives - I don't see how this is any different. No one should be taking anything that causes these kind of symptoms with that much frequency. I'm all for male birth control, but it was decided by people much smarter than you or I, that this wasn't the answer we are looking for; considering condoms are more effective than the 96% success rate of this pill, it was never going to catch on anyway.

jwk94

So what's the purpose of female birth control, exactly? If it causes so many problems, why not stop taking it? I get that it's for birth control and regulating a woman's period. But condoms solve the birth control, but what about regulating the period? What does that mean?

guek

Banned
I'll read through it at some point.

Also, all this double standard talk is bullshit. Female oral contraceptives are ancient. The scientific medical community in which they were tested and approved is not the same one we live in now, and suggesting a systemic sexist bias in how clinical trials are run shows a gross misunderstanding of the world of modern medical research.

ShyMel

So what's the purpose of female birth control, exactly? If it causes so many problems, why not stop taking it? I get that it's for birth control and regulating a woman's period. But condoms solve the birth control, but what about regulating the period? What does that mean?
Some women have periods that last longer than the standard of 5-7 days which can cause excessive blood loss, other women want their period around the same time each month, other medical issues, and several other reasons.

RowdyReverb

Goserelin. Only temporary, I usually took a noresthisterone/mestranol combo pill. I was on straight noresthisterone for a while too in combination with the goserelin, but that was just annoying, so the gyno took me off the noresthisterone and left me with the goserelin
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm tempted to probe further, but I'll leave you be
Pregnancy can cause many problems for women, so it is a reasonable alternative since abstinence is a joke and condoms aren't as effective
Isnt this like a similar effect anabolic steroids have on the male body?
Sounds like it. I wouldn't be surprised if the basis for the study was an observation that guys on steroids have low sperm counts

LordKasual

Banned
Birth control almost killed my sister.

Blood clot stuck in her lungs, had to get her to the emergency room because she was having issues breathing with the pain.

She was predisposed to the issue (genetic trait) but it was definitely the birth control that caused it to manifest.

Condoms aren't 100%? Birth control pills mechanics involve messing with the regular estrogen/progesterone cycle to disrupt the normal fertilization process. It's not 100% either. Leaving either one out of the equation increases risk of pregnancy. The fact we saddled women with hormonal responsibility for birth control shows where we put the emphasis.

MrHoot

Yeah, as someone being treated for severe depression, this shit ain't fun to read. Too bad too, would've liked to have a pill but I guess that's not happening. Seen it circulating around tho; the tone against men because of that seems particularily harsh. Like yeah no shit we don't want these side effects, the same why I totally support lady friends who do not want to take the pill for similar awful effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom