• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male birth control shot found effective, but side effects cut study short

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

This has been one of the most circulated articles on my Facebook feed, pretty much with runway titles like "men too weak to handle what women have been taking for decades"... kind of simplifying the issue perhaps too much (they aren't directly comparable first of all) and quite a disgusting attitude considering we shouldn't be shaming ANYONE for not wanting to take medication because it causes severe side effects. Women who get severe depression while taking the pill are strongly advised to stop taking those meds immediately as well; hell any symptoms and you'll find doctors will recommend alternatives - I don't see how this is any different. No one should be taking anything that causes these kind of symptoms with that much frequency. I'm all for male birth control, but it was decided by people much smarter than you or I, that this wasn't the answer we are looking for; considering condoms are more effective than the 96% success rate of this pill, it was never going to catch on anyway.

Yeah I saw that on FB and found it kinda disgusting especially since it's a way higher rate of depression and similar adverse effects than compared to women if I recall.

I couldn't tolerate any hormonal birth control and finally got my tubes tied, but that's brought on its own set of issues. It sucks being female.

Makes sense. Women have alternatives in case of side-effects. In due time men will have their form of birth control that matches women's. As for why women have more birth control related products, not sure, but my guess is the because reproduction process occurs mostly in women.

Is this a prime example of double standards or am I oversimplifying this situation?

Yep. It sort of reminds me of how when Black people had a huge drug epidemic in their community they were thrown into jail and the War on Drugs started, but now that White people are dying of drug overdoses publicly suddenly Drug Addicts are victims too.

Kthulhu

Does plan b have similar side affects to the pill?

IUD's are pretty god damn stellar. Copper ones last ten years, are *very* cheap and, last i checked, had a better track record at preventing pregnancies than condoms or the pill.

Hormonal IUD's are even better, since they often reduce/eliminate blood flow. Price goes up and they "only" last 5 years tho.

Sadly, apparently, if you've never given birth, they can be quite painful to put in place.

Wish there was a male version, tbqh.

I remember reading something about some group trying to push IUDs to more people. I think there's a stigma against them due to them being more invasive than the pill.

Pretty much how I see it what's acceptable for the Goose is apparently too much for a much smaller fraction of the Gander.
How I read that too. All those side effects are terrible and the main reason why I refuse to go on birth control. I'll wait until there is something better.

Madness

Guess what. The vast majority of women are still on birth control even if their reproductive partners wear condoms.

Guess what, men cannot get pregnant, women can. So of course women will have to shoulder the burden morw than men. If they don't take extra precautions they may end up pregnant.

I mean if guys want to have male birth control more power to them. But to try and guilt men into it by saying women have to do it isn't the way. Besides, male birth control aside from condoms don't stop STD's and STI's.

It's like a vehicle that works by exploding petrol inside of it being invented in the 21st century, environmentalist of today would naturally have a more ardent argument about it than last century. The pill had too strong a foothold before mental health caught up to it.

Media

I can't stop rolling my eyes cause every birth control I've been on caused those same side effects AND massive weight gain. Depo was the worst.

guek

Banned
Yes, let's compare how studies were run in the 50s to 2016 to condemn the scientific medical community for an apparent gender bias with two data points across over half a century. OUTRAGE.

laoni

So what's the purpose of female birth control, exactly? If it causes so many problems, why not stop taking it? I get that it's for birth control and regulating a woman's period. But condoms solve the birth control, but what about regulating the period? What does that mean?

To use myself as an example (I was prescribed the pill when I was 12), without the pill, I'd need to take the whole week of my period off, because my cramps were so bad I felt like someone would literally be scraping my insides out with a blunt razor. The blood flow was abnormally heavy, and instead of showing up every 4 weeks, it turned up pretty much whenever it felt like it. So, I'd be bedbound sick as hell for a week at random.

After they did some tests and surgeries to ensure there were no underlying issues causing my symptoms, they put me on the pill to help allievate some of the symptopms. Now I only need one day off if that, I'm in a lot less pain, and I know exactly when my period's gonna come, and can plan around it

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm tempted to probe further, but I'll leave you be

Feel free to probe! My doctor's using it in an experimental capacity, so I'm a bit weird XD

Aske

I remember reading something about some group trying to push IUDs to more people. I think there's a stigma against them due to them being more invasive than the pill.

IUDs are the best contraceptive on the market right now, bar none. Not right for literally every woman of course, but there's a huge stigma against them due to problems with the original coils causing cases of infertility back in the 70s. Now, they are completely safe; and typically recommended by doctors. They're less perfect than the Bimek SLV because they can occasionally shift out of position, but they're as close as humans can currently get to an undetectable, temporary contraceptive with no side effects.

I'll read through it at some point.

Also, all this double standard talk is bullshit. Female oral contraceptives are ancient. The scientific medical community in which they were tested and approved is not the same one we live in now, and suggesting a systemic sexist bias in how clinical trials are run shows a gross misunderstanding of the world of modern medical research.
No kidding. Hormones are still only barely understood today. I can't imagine how in the dark they were back in the 1950s.

You could also easily argue (though it would be similarly ridiculous and I'm not serious) that the existence of the female pill and no male equivalent is being sexist the other way around. If nothing else, from a feminist perspective ignoring the positive impact the pill had on women culturally in the US is insanely myopic. I'm not trying to brush the problems aside, I recognize the pill causes serious health issues for many women. But to suddenly present it as some evidence of anti-woman bias? Give me a fucking break. Get some damn perspective.

RowdyReverb

Guess what, men cannot get pregnant, women can. So of course women will have to shoulder the burden morw than men. If they don't take extra precautions they may end up pregnant.

I mean if guys want to have male birth control more power to them. But to try and guilt men into it by saying women have to do it isn't the way. Besides, male birth control aside from condoms don't stop STD's and STI's.
There is definitely an uneven shouldering of the burden. Women stand to lose much more than men from a pregnancy, and it's not beyond imagination that a woman might not entirely trust that her partner has been 100% compliant with his birth control when her body is on the line

No kidding. Hormones are still only barely understood today. I can't imagine how in the dark they were back in the 1950s.

You could also easily argue (though it would be similarly ridiculous and I'm not serious) that the existence of the female pill and no male equivalent is being sexist the other way around. If nothing else, from a feminist perspective ignoring the positive impact the pill had on women culturally in the US is insanely myopic. I'm not trying to brush the problems aside, I recognize the pill causes serious health issues for many women. But to suddenly present it as some evidence of anti-woman bias? Give me a fucking break.

That baffled me too. They're options. I don't think I know anyone--whether male or female--who wouldn't like more options available to them

You speak like a man's responsibility ends at pregnancy.It's not an argument about guilt. If the original emphasis was made to curb male fertility through hormonal treatment, what's to say where we would be now? If you argue STDs, fine. But if the modern trend was for female condoms and male hormonal treatment, how would that differ?

Aiustis

IUD's are pretty god damn stellar. Copper ones last ten years, are *very* cheap and, last i checked, had a better track record at preventing pregnancies than condoms or the pill.

Hormonal IUD's are even better, since they often reduce/eliminate blood flow. Price goes up and they "only" last 5 years tho.

Sadly, apparently, if you've never given birth, they can be quite painful to put in place.

Wish there was a male version, tbqh.

Very painful for some people, I got mine last Monday, hurt to get in, and felt like getting punched by a boxer in the uterus for several days. But since it's very safe and extremely effective and is one and done, I chose it. They are nice because you can get hormonal or non hormonal.

Usually insurance covers them too and there's a new one on the market that's designed to be cheaper.

I understand stopping studies on this, but more options is better.

Biske

Depression < Getting laid.

But for real, I'll stick with condoms. I have ever no issue with them. As matter of fact me and my partner use condoms and I pull out. Leave no chances. Did this even when she was on birth control.

Z7HeRxU.png

Double birth control and still no creampie?

Man... why even have sex at that point.

Alienfan

It takes two to get pregnant though, I don't see how being the one that carries the baby gives you more reasonability than the person who penetrates. Both are responsible for themselves and each other (that's how the law views sex and pregnancy too).

I agree about condoms though, they're more effective than this male birth control pill. You'd have to create something that was close to 100% effective, with no symptoms, before anyone switched. Maybe that's the most confusing part to me, I don't understand why people are so up and arms about this study being cut short, when we have male birth control that's cheap, 98% effective with no symptoms. Making something that is less effective, carries with it symptoms and has no protection against STDs serves what purpose? I really don't understand the anger/disappointment, there has to be something I'm just not thinking about

Media

It takes two to get pregnant though, I don't see how being the one that carries the baby gives you more reasonability than the person who penetrates. Both are responsible for themselves and each other (that's how the law views sex and pregnancy too).

I agree about condoms though, they're more effective than this male birth control pill. You'd have to create something that was close to 100% effective, with no symptoms, before anyone switched. Maybe that's the most confusing part to me, I don't understand why people are so up and arms about this study being cut short, when we have male birth control that's cheap, 98% effective with no symptoms. Making something that is less effective, carries with it symptoms and has no protection against STDs serves what purpose?

I've only had sex with three men in my life, the third being my husband. The other two bitched bout being asked to wear a condom. The second bitched so much I got up and left with no pay off lol.

Alienfan

I've only had sex with three men in my life, the third being my husband. The other two bitched bout being asked to wear a condom. The second bitched so much I got up and left with no pay off lol.

Good on ya! At the point when I hear "I'm not a fan of condoms" is usually the part when I start planning my escape lol.

I tried almost every method of hormonal birth control there is and they all had TERRIBLE side effects on my mood.

I'm pretty much of the mindset that hormonal BC is the devil at least for me personally. I don't know why or exactly how but this article makes me feel a kind of way.

It's safe for us but not safe for guys? I guess would be my statement. I don't know.

Media

Good on ya! At the point when I hear "I'm not a fan of condoms" is usually the part when I start planning my escape lol.

Yeah apparently it's common for guys to claim they are sterile so as not to wear one. That's what this guy said. And then that condoms made it so he couldn't feel anything. When he said 'We gotta take it off, it's like I'm not even having sex.' I said 'welp, now you're not.' And climbed off and bounced lolike.

Feel kinda bad, but at that point it's like 'Fine, have fun finishing yourself, I ain't risking it.'

Was happy to never see him again.

My gf and I just moved away from using condoms. She got on the pill for a while, but hated having to take it every day out of fear of forgetting. I would sometimes insist on using a condom just to be sure, because I didnt feel confident myself. She moved onto an in-arm implant and has been going strong for the past 1.5 years. She loves it and I think its great. I just really wish there was an option for me. I cant wait for a solid option for male birth control to come out.

Audioboxer

What actually matters besides opinion is that regardless of your idealistic view on gender males and females are not the same. Different chemicals are required in order to create successful male birth control in the form of a pill/injection/implant.

In regards to physical options unless you're blind a penis does not go inside the body hence why things you can place inside are not an option for men. Condoms are the only real solution here.

What I will say is for sure more time and money needs to be spent on my first point. There is no excuse there. Science will find away, but it's largely about how quickly it does. It really should be soon, I guess some would argue it should have already. However unless you are all registered chemists as I said do remember we are dealing with different hormones and bodies.

On a personal level this should be something you and your partner discuss. Refusal of birth control is an option as long as you're willing to abstain or face the consequences of nature (pregnancy). No one should ever be forced but if you're the party not wanting to engage in any birth control you need to except you're unlikely to be getting any sex any time soon. Or you shouldn't be. Pregnancy is a serious matter. As it STD prevention.

ajim

Double birth control and still no creampie?

Man... why even have sex at that point.
Even with birth control im not a fan of releasing inside. I always pull out and let loose. Feels better for me that way.

Huff

Banned
Look at raw data.

#number of adverse events > number of participants

No way this would have been continued/approved

Madness

Were they circumcised? Just curious. The loss of foreskin in men since infancy causes them to grow up with a tougher glans and reduced sensitivity which is why a lot of men hate wearing condoms because they say they cannot feel it.

I just find condoms are cheap, plentiful, and protect beyond just pregnancy. Skyrocketing genital herpes, increased rates of gonorrhea, mean that it is better to just wear a condom than anything else. Birth control pills, other contraceptives are just icing on the cake.

EYEL1NER

lolwut. Do you even know what true depression means?

It's not about feeling blue and playing video games and listening to instrumental FF tracks.
I've wrestled with it throughout my life, yes.
Depression and Mania seems to be a common side-effect of quite a few regular medications and supplements I've taken or used too, like corticosteroids. I can't be absolutely sure that they didn't compound anything I was already feeling, but I don't believe they made anything worse for me. If that was the only possible side-effect, I might roll the dice with this form of male birth control.

EDIT: I didn't mean to imply in my first post that depression isn't that big a deal or anything. Just like I said above, it being a side-effect wouldn't scare me away.

Media

Were they circumcised? Just curious. The loss of foreskin in men since infancy causes them to grow up with a tougher glans and reduced sensitivity which is why a lot of men hate wearing condoms because they say they cannot feel it.

I just find condoms are cheap, plentiful, and protect beyond just pregnancy. Skyrocketing genital herpes, increased rates of gonorrhea, mean that it is better to just wear a condom than anything else. Birth control pills, other contraceptives are just icing on the cake.

American men, so it's likely try were yeah. It was my first two real experiences, I didn't really spend a lot of time examining the dick :p

Eh, herpes, like HPV, has always been sky-high. Will most likely continue to be, since only very few people indeed are vigilant enough to use a rubber during blowjobs. Good thing its so mild. Gono can indeed be a bit annoying what with strains acquiring immunity to some antibiotics.

Fwiw, what generally causes lack of sensitivity (on top of having no foreskin) is masturbating a lot. You wank with a vice grip several times a day? Yarp, you gon feel a whole lot less.

Oh, thanks! I see they've used testosterone undecanoate. That's a bit peculiar. Even at 8 weeks T.U. should've left them, at the very least, with slightly above natural testosterone levels. Guess depression was unrelated to hormone levels.

"Medicine" didn't decide anything, because "medicine" is not a monolithic body making decisions from on high. It emerges from a combination of research, market forces, and the decisions of individual health care practitioners based on available knowledge and resources at the time. Much as Tylenol likely would not be available over-the-counter if it were discovered and patented today, female birth control would be similarly scrutinized as this treatment if it were being developed today. Times, standards, and practices are different.

Noobcraft

*Edit: in certain fields mouse studies are biased towards female mice because they get along better. In larger labs females are cheaper to house, but more expensive to purchase up front. I looked into it and it looked like the labs I worked in/around were actually exceptional in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom