• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man arrested for having Idolmaster credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeky

tl3hEk4.jpg

America is only mature serious business cards

Now this i would call the cops for, hell call the army.

It's innocuous enough on its own, you'd have to actually know the source material to peg this guy as a paedo

I think that if you knew the source material you would at least know that its just a legit Japanese Credit card. Without context it just looks really creepy to a lot of people(Well with context it would probably still do)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I re-read the last paragraph. Please don't assume the rest of the world shares the same thought processes as America. Actually, I probably should say, for balance, that it is also unfair to assume all of America shares the same thought process as one vendor and a few police in one state.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell?

Do you have to play Dudebro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time, to not be considered "weird" in America?
Not really, but it wouldn't hurt to have a pic of the game as a custom image on your CC.

Does America use chip and pin yet?

Do modern Japanese cards not have a magnetic stripe? If so I guess that could explain how this story happened-- otherwise the situation just doesn't make sense as to how they'd skip to arresting him without trying the card.

StayDead

Guess if he goes for a Kami SUMMER!! again in the US he'll have to CHANGE!!!! his credit c@rd. They're just not READY!! for the awesomeness on that card that is Makoto, Yukiho, Takane and Chihaya.

Do modern Japanese cards not have a magnetic stripe? If so I guess that could explain how this story happened-- otherwise the situation just doesn't make sense as to how they'd skip to arresting him without trying the card.

Well, if you go to the original source it says this:

日本に置けるクレジットカードの立ち位置とアメリカのクレジットカードの立ち位置は保険証と パスポート位違うんだってさ。だから変だと思ったらすぐ警察呼べるし

Says something about differences between Japanese and American cardinfo? Maybe somebody who knows Japanese could translate?

Spwn

I should start calling the security every time someone is using their Angry Birds credit card here in Finland.

I want that credit card.

This really doesn't make sense. I don't want to be negative toward my own country. But culturally, if the majority of the people here think that cute things are for kids, that's terribly alienating.

I want America to love cuteness as much as I do. As much as Japan does.
Cuteness isn't for children, it's for people who like being happy. I don't understand the pop culture of my country sometimes.

What about Hello Kitty credit cards? Shouldn't those be considered popular with adult women?

I never realized that there was a credit card for that.

it'll be awesome if you could customize your credit card to your video game of your liking. I wonder what would be the most popular one if that ever happened.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Also, Dutch bank ING has offered custom debit cards for years now.
Just upload your own image and there you go. I've seen people with drunk images of their friends on their cards.

pasjes_tcm7-9126b9ul4.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Also, Dutch bank ING has offered custom debit cards for years now.
Just upload your own image and there you go. I've seen people with drunk images of their friends on their cards.

pasjes_tcm7-9126b9ul4.jpg
Only pedos would use that third pic. Gross.

synce

This sounds too stupid to be real. How do you get arrested for a fake card when it's not fake? Just slide the fucking thing and accept the money.

spwolf

This sounds too stupid to be real. How do you get arrested for a fake card when it's not fake? Just slide the fucking thing and accept the money.

i wouldnt be surprised it was because it had anime characters which they someone managed to tie with pedo or something.

Are personalized cards not kosher in the US or something?

Not that it explains this story but they aren't common here at all. Like you'd have to set out to want a picture on your card, and most people don't even know it's a thing. People used to get prints on personal checks when checks were more common but it didn't carry over into credit cards.

m0t0k1

Guess if he goes for a Kami SUMMER!! again in the US he'll have to CHANGE!!!! his credit c@rd. They're just not READY!! for the awesomeness on that card that is Makoto, Yukiho, Takane and Chihaya.

At least he gets to be free for a BRAND NEW DAY. and more COLORFUL DAYS await him. Gotta be POSITIVE! for the FURUFURU FUTURE.

sono

Gold Member
That is just plain absurd.

What grounds do they really have for arresting the dude.

The card must be fake because it has a picture on it ?

Also->Who called the police in the first place

Elvick

Banned
It could be a homemade card with a copied mag code.

Or one of the many personalized cards that have been around for years now.
I suppose, but who would know how to do that and would at the same time draw attention to their credit card at the same time?

It'd be stealing from Wal*Mart, but before you ever steal you start doing cartwheels to draw attention to yourself. THEN trying to steal.

Worst thief ever.

Besides, do companies usually make it their business to pay attention to that sort of thing? They'll get their money if it works, so why should they care if it's stolen or w/e?

And why arrest the guy before figuring out if it's a legit card?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Besides, do companies usually make it their business to pay attention to that sort of thing? They'll get their money if it works, so why should they care if it's stolen or w/e?
Chargebacks and money laundering, I'd presume.

-PXG-

Gimme a card with the image of a thick ass futunari chick with floppy titties and three massive dongs all spewing a deluge of cum. What would they say about that, huh?

Kadayi

Banned
i wouldnt be surprised it was because it had anime characters which they someone managed to tie with pedo or something.

Yeah that was largely my take. Dude was probably like 50 so alarm bells were probably going off in the shop assistants head that he absolutely must be a pedo (Vs just being a Japanese dude). Pretty shameful really.

-PXG-

Compensation culture gone mad. Yes it was stupid by the police but this is equally so.

He was arrested for having anime girls on his card. I ain't gonna walk away from that without doing something. Imagine the embarrassment and inconvenience that is. Fuck them.

Gimme a card with the image of a thick ass futunari chick with floppy titties and three massive dongs all spewing a deluge of cum. What would they say about that, huh?

"This is expired"

Edit:

Actually if I had a card like that, I would ruin the magnetic stripe so they had to read the numbers every time

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Reading the original articles comments is interesting.

Things ranging from them asking why the dad thought using such a card was a good idea if he didn't want to embarrass himself in another country, talking about card fees and things about passports and the like, to ridiculing other countries for not embracing things that might be 'weird' to us, as a lot of what we do are weird to them. A lot also saying the story is funny, and others replying its not funny, its a serious problem if people can get arrested so easily overseas for a simple misunderstanding, as well as people debating card companies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Compensation culture gone mad. Yes it was stupid by the police but this is equally so.
No it's not. It wasnit his fault. He was paying with a legit card. Had the clerk done their job and swiped it or even asked for id none of this would have happened. Look what happened at macys in New York. Arresting people for shoplifting using their own credit cards their own money. There has to be a line drawn. This country is getting too stupid judging people.

I've worked in retail before never once had I have to call the police because I THINK the card is a fake. I would swipe it and if it goes through ok if not then it's decline. Even if I felt the customer was sketchy I would ask for ID. The store the clerk and the police should be shamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom