• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man assaults child over Gears of War

Defuser

http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=104
Teen put in hospital by 36-year-old man as a result of stock shortages

While it’s normally hardware launches that prompt violence and silliness, it would seem that recently reviewed title Gears of War reached such a level of hype that some customers were actually prepared to use their fists to secure themselves a copy.

According to reports currently floating around the internet, a 15-year-old boy was attacked and actually put into hospital by a 36-year-old man who kicked off in a queue outside a branch of Gamestop in Detroit.

Apparently, the argument developed after store clerks informed the crowd that stocks were running out, at which point the 36-year-old customer attempted to cut in line and when challenged swore at and repeatedly punched the 15-year-old who was to receive the last copy of the game.

Naturally the police were called and the man was arrested for aggravated assault and is currently awaiting arraignment at a local correctional facility.

The kid on the other hand was so badly beaten that he had to go to hospital for treatment to wounds on his face, head and neck. The real bummer though is he doesn’t even have his rightful copy of Gears of War to play as he mends either – this is currently being held by police as evidence.

Tieno

Variable said:
Funny, my local Best Buy had plenty of copies of the game when I went on Friday. Then again, I live in Canada.
Around launch Fed-ex made a **** up and failed to deliver 200 000 units of GOW in a certain area.

fresquito

The man wasn't very clever. The game is rated as mature, if he raised that point, he wouldn't have needed to kick the kid. Not that is needed anyway, of course.

Hahahah

Police: Uhh, we need this copy of the game as uhh, evidence... yeah... We're going to have to take one of those xbox 360 premium packs too.

Klaxon said:
Woops, I´m seeing riots and victims at PS3-US-launch.
There's a book called "Jennifer Government" that is something of a humorous look at an ultracapitalist future, and the plot setup involves Nike hiring someone undercover to shoot a kid for a new pair of some artificially-limited-edition shoes as a marketing ploy.

Sadly, intentionally or not, I see this happening with the Playstation 3. Look how bad the 360 was, realize that the brand recognition for the PS3 is way higher and the quantities not much more, and guess what will happen :(

Tieno

Maybe the kid got permission from his parent...I mean, it's not like a 15 year old would dare to ignore the rating system.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's totally possible that he beat the 15 year old up because he hates teenagers. I constantly feel like assaulting teenagers for no apparent reason.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
westical said:
I'm calling this story a fake until someone finds a legitimate source.

EB/Gamestop are also required to ask for ID, in Canada, when 15 year olds are trying to buy mature games. Does the same rule apply in the U.S.?

Xzior

If this story is real... what's wrong with some people? Sure cut the bloody line all you want, but beating up the kid... what a psycho.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Why would they hold the game as evidence? STUPID!

I think someone cooked this story.

sky

uhohjackbm2.jpg

AAK

LiQuid! said:
Why would they hold the game as evidence? STUPID!

I think someone cooked this story.

The thing which leads to this story to fabrication is that no body even stopped the man from beating that kid. But then again... Detroit.

BTW you're avatar is too big, the dimensions can't exceed 90x120. change it before a mod catches you.

MegaTen

Banned
Wait.. the kid wasn't even old enough to purchase the game.. so would they have even sold it to him by the time he got into the store? Looks like the kid got his ass kicked for nothing. :lol

Javaman

MegaTen said:
Wait.. the kid wasn't even old enough to purchase the game.. so would they have even sold it to him by the time he got into the store? Looks like the kid got his ass kicked for nothing. :lol

Game was too violent for him.

Ba-doom-Chhhh.

Since when is 15 years old a child?

MegaTen

Banned
Javaman said:
Game was too violent for him.

Ba-doom-Chhhh.

Since when is 15 years old a child?
That wasn't my point. I don't know how things are in Michigan, but in California, if someone looks younger than 17 and want to buy a Mature rated game, they get carded.

Symytry

Variable said:
Funny, my local Best Buy had plenty of copies of the game when I went on Friday. Then again, I live in Canada.

I still saw CE copies on the shelf at Future Shop yesterday morning...

SickBoy

I still doubt it's true, because the only place I've seen it is on low-end videogame sites and the first place I saw it (a blog) it looked like a weakly written attempt at aping a news story from a legitimate outlet.

At any rate, it's shocking if true, but I just don't buy it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i can just imagine someone spinning it into: "this is another reason why minors shouldn't buy an M-rated game"

why do people go to EB or Gamestop for a big highly anticipated games that will be shipped in high volumes in other store?
why go to a low volume store when going to a normal Best Buy, Toys R Us or Wal-Mart would of remedied the problem?

reserves at EB and Gamespot should be only for obsucre or non-massive populare games that are difficult to find

as far as a 36 year old is concerned, I hope it's inserted with some Gears in jail from Bubba

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The real bummer though is he doesn’t even have his rightful copy of Gears of War to play as he mends either – this is currently being held by police as evidence.

lol thats messed up

madara

davepoobond said:
i can just imagine someone spinning it into: "this is another reason why minors shouldn't buy an M-rated game"

Aye, because it is. You have lifetime to play uber violent games as adult there is no reason to rush it. Regardless of jive we spew there is effect on every darn ones with repeated images of this kind, even more so to some folks as this headline shows. Now Hello Kitty. those games never spark such anger :)

Top Bottom