• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man caught putting soda into water cup, hits manager with car, gets felony charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

An Arkansas man is facing felony charges after allegedly filling his free water cup with not-free soda Monday at a McDonald's in Springdale, KHBS/KHOG reports. Police say 18-year-old Cody Morris and two others drove through the McDonald's drive-thru and ordered three large waters. They then parked, went into the restaurant, dumped out the water, and allegedly filled the cups with soda.

Morris' accomplices returned their ill-gotten sodas when pressed by a manager, but Morris allegedly refused. That's when the manager decided to stand behind the group's car to prevent them from leaving. At this point it's worth noting that—as Raw Story reports—a large soda at McDonald's costs only $1.49 and comes with free refills.

Police say the group's car reversed into the McDonald's manager, who was then hit by the car a second time when he reached through the window to try to pull the keys from the ignition. The car drove off, and the manager called police. Officers found the car and Morris at a bowling alley, and he was arrested on suspicion of felony robbery. (Allegedly hitting the manager with the car is what presumably elevated the charges.)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er-filling-mcdonalds-water-cup-soda/83331670/

Call the cops on me if old.

Amon37

Title is click bait. The felonies had nothing to do with soda running over the manager in the car got them the falonies.

Gattsu25

Banned
So it wasn't stealing the soda that landed the felony charge, but hitting the store manager with the car during the petty theft that did?

The fuck at that thread / article title...

Mortemis

Banned
Teen hit with felony charges after running over a McDonald's manager.

Cmon OP.

I don't see why the manager would go so far as to stop them from leaving and reach into their car though.

I do think the manager had no business doing what he was doing. Shouldn't he be charged with false imprisonment? He has no authority to stop what is basically a petty crime.

But dude should have also just paid for a $1.50. Now his life is likely ruined.

Oli

Kids are dumb. Too prideful to admit defeat.

But I also am not sure the manager should have gone so far to prevent it. Arguably just as childish as the teen, even though he was in the right.

Manager is an asshat but the kid shouldn't have reversed into him the first time. Manager sticking his hands into the car for the keys and getting hit that time is on him.

This is a dumb story all around.

Gotta love McDonald's managers on power trips. I once got written up for getting water from the drink machine while on the clock because I hadn't asked anyone if I could. The manager said it was stealing since I didn't have permission, even if the front looked perfect and the lobby was cleaned and I had nothing to do.

I basically lost all respect for that manager on the spot.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Misleading thread title. If he hadnt tried to run someone over or return the soda, he likely wouldnt have been arrested.

Dude those soda fountain things have a high markup. So they only really are losing about 10-20 cents with that cup. Is it even worth it for the manager to waste his time from the day to day operations for that? Lol

Somnid

I'm so conflicted. I think that your assholishness needs to be called out as a teen otherwise it can stick with you when you feel immune to consequence but man did this escalate.

gutshot

Sorry about the title. I didn't think it was that bad. Essentially a rewrite of the first line in the article. The "soda into water cup" bit is the notable aspect of this story, so wanted to get that in the title. Should I drop the felony charges part? Is that the issue people have with it?

EDIT: Thanks to whichever mod changed it for me.

"Teen hit with felony charges after kissing his mom and saying the Pledge of Allegiance" is equally accurate.

Sorry about the title. I didn't think it was that bad. Essentially a rewrite of the first line in the article. The "soda into water cup" bit is the notable aspect of this story, so wanted to get that in the title. Should I drop the felony charges part? Is that the issue people have with it?
Don't be disingenuous. You know why people have a problem with the title.

EDIT: Since it's been changed, the original thread title was "Teen hit with felony charges after putting soda into his water cup at McDonald's."

kinda boggled they ordered at the drive-thru, parked, and then went inside to put soda in their water cups. is that common? everyone's heard about people doing it after ordering inside, but i thought the idea was to be inconspicuous, not... whatever this was.

bjork

Dude those soda fountain things have a high markup. So they only really are losing about 10-20 cents with that cup. Is it even worth it for the manager to waste his time from the day to day operations for that? Lol

I was once at a burger king with a coworker and the manager there told us we could refill our drinks if we liked. I objected at first since he hadn't paid for a refill, and he said that the syrup tanks they got would do something like 350 sodas per, and after about 20, it was paid for. So one or two wouldn't be a problem.

WHAT? McDonalds has lots of things wrong, but their Coke still taste better than almost any other place. No clue why, but its always held true.

That's from having dulled taste buds brought on by not drinking the superior cola, Pepsi.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I was once at a burger king with a coworker and the manager there told us we could refill our drinks if we liked. I objected at first since he hadn't paid for a refill, and he said that the syrup tanks they got would do something like 350 sodas per, and after about 20, it was paid for. So one or two wouldn't be a problem.

That's from having dulled taste buds brought on by not drinking the superior cola, Pepsi.

Pepsi is better, but that doesnt change what I said.

WHAT? McDonalds has lots of things wrong, but their Coke still taste better than almost any other place. No clue why, but its always held true.

McDonalds has a special system for their Coke that other fast food restaurants don't. Most places just have the bag in a box hooked up, while McDonald's keep theirs in a steel container, in addition to that, they filter their water more than other fast food joints.

gutshot

"Teen hit with felony charges after kissing his mom and saying the Pledge of Allegiance" is equally accurate.

Don't be disingenuous. You know why people have a problem with the title.

EDIT: Since it's been changed, the original thread title was "Teen hit with felony charges after putting soda into his water cup at McDonald's."

Yeah, no. Putting the soda into the water cup was technically stealing and it was escalated the whole situation, ultimately resulting in the charges. I wanted to get that across in the title. I legitimately did not think it was a problem, but I guess I was wrong.

McDonalds has a special system for their Coke that other fast food restaurants don't. Most places just have the bag in a box hooked up, while McDonald's keep theirs in a steel container, in addition to that, they filter their water more than other fast food joints.

Every other soda gets the syrup tho.

Maximus P

I think the price of the soda is irrelevant here. The kid stole an item, was told to return the item and refused. The cops didn't need to be involved, the kid should have just handed it back, returned to his car and drove away.

Not sure what the manager was doing trying to snatch the keys , i kind of understand him making a stance behind the guys car to prevent him leaving, but he's putting himself in danger putting his hand into a moving vehicle.

Beartruck

Stupid of the robber to do that, even stupider for the manager to physically obstruct him over 5 cents worth of soda. He basically went against everything retail loss prevention tells someone to do.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Manager must really love his job to chase a kid over soda lol.

Or really hate criminals. Cant blame him on this, he gave them a chance to walk out without problem, instead the kid showed a disregard to common morals. The kid needs a reality check, hopefully whatever judge is over the case finds a way to both teach him and get him back on track without having to ruin the rest of his life.

bjork

Or really hate criminals. Cant blame him on this, he gave them a chance to walk out without problem, instead the kid showed a disregard to common morals. The kid needs a reality check, hopefully whatever judge is over the case finds a way to both teach him and get him back on track without having to ruin the rest of his life.

Most places will train you specifically to not do this, though. If you even so much as step outside in chase of someone at places I've worked, it's a terminable action.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Wtf is your problem, manager? Can you just simmer down a bit and let the kid go with the damn soda? Also, wtf dude who stole soda, why wouldn't you just purchase it for one dollar and forty-nine cents?

They're dumb people.

Corpekata

Banned

The manager needs one too, and will likely get one. Nearly all corporations have policies saying "don't do this type of shit." He's likely to be fired.

E92 M3

What he did was a waste of energy and generally inconsequential. Also, it could get him fired and he endangered his life over soda.

What if the guy was armed? Is being a hero and getting killed over $1 of soda really worth it?

There's a reason why the first thing any retail store teaches when it comes to robberies is ''No Heroics.''

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Well, I guess at least the cops didn't brutalize him when they took him in.

Manager was dumb though. 1.49? That's not even yours? Yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom