• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man falls 21 stories off cruise ship, rescued by another 5 hours later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wag

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/13/us/man-overboard-cruise-rescue/

(CNN)A man who fell from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship off the coast of Cozumel, Mexico, was rescued by a Disney cruise ship after passengers spotted him on the water, Mexican authorities say.

"The man was traveling in the Oasis (of the Seas). It was early in the morning. He doesn't remember how he fell. Fortunately, another cruise, the Disney Magic, saw him," said Cozumel Port Captain Alfonso Rodríguez.

The lucky man, a 22-year-old U.S. citizen, had been in the water for about five hours during last Thursday's ordeal, Rodriguez said.

Holy shit. This guy has one hell of a story to tell. I don't know if he's the luckiest or unluckiest man alive. The fact that he probably fell 21 stories off the top deck of the first ship and survived is amazing, and then the second cruise ship chances upon him in the open ocean is doubly so.

okno

I cruised on that exact cruise ship a year and a half ago. He must have wanted to jump off, because you have to climb over a pretty huge railing from the top floor. It ain't essy, I can tell you that! I'm also amazed he didn't hit any of the rescue ships that are on the side on his way down. If he had done it from the back of the boat, he would have ended in the amphitheater. If he did from the front of the boat, he'd have landed ln the helipad, so the only other logical spot would be on either side, but they're flanked by over 10 rescue boats on both sides!

NEO0MJ

I wonder if he was drunk. You don't forget why you fell. Though if he was drunk when he fell I doubt he could have lasted that long in the water.

I'm surprised he isn't dead from the fall alone.

It must be like hitting concrete at that speed.

How much does falling perfectly straight help mitigate damage?

TheJLC

Yeah saw this on the news. This guy had someone watching over him to survive that fall, survive that long, and then be spotted and rescued.

Squishy3

So not obviously the same scenario, but Mythbusters did a bust on a Burn Notice stunt where the character jumps 35 feet down onto a mattress into a 4.5 foot pool. Their test with a cadaver (specifically one with all the bones and organs inside of it) showed that the character had more injuries and probably would have died from landing on the mattress but if they landed on the concrete bottom of the pool they'd have only suffered a shattered pelvis and a paralyzing spinal injury at the least.

A stuntman later did the full jump using techniques to reduce how deep they went in the pool from the jump and he ended up going a few inches below (they used a deeper pool, obviously) and they deemed it was probably a survivable injury if someone used those techniques.

Not entirely improbable that he didn't die from the fall, but it probably hurt a ton if not have broken some bones.

You could always float on your back.

Clothes soaked with water dragging you down, waves forcing you to fight against your own position, constantly swallowing water, cold temperatures(?). The ocean is not the same as a swimming pool... at least thats how I imagine it would be.

Wag

Not entirely improbable that he didn't die, but it probably hurt a ton if not have broken some bones.

According to an interview on the national news when they brought the guy on board he was sitting up on his stretcher and waving.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The Tony Scott suicide was ruled death by trauma, if I recall.
I am haunted by that since I traverse that same bridge commonly.

GavinGT

Banned
So not obviously the same scenario, but Mythbusters did a bust on a Burn Notice stunt where the character jumps 35 feet down onto a mattress into a 4.5 foot pool. Their test with a cadaver (specifically one with all the bones and organs inside of it) showed that the character had more injuries and probably would have died from landing on the mattress but if they landed on the concrete bottom of the pool they'd have only suffered a shattered pelvis and a paralyzing spinal injury at the least.

A stuntman later did the full jump using techniques to reduce how deep they went in the pool from the jump and he ended up going a few inches below (they used a deeper pool, obviously) and they deemed it was probably a survivable injury if someone used those techniques.

Not entirely improbable that he didn't die from the fall, but it probably hurt a ton if not have broken some bones.

21 stories is more like 160 feet.

That has not been my experience..Neither has floating on back worked. So I am left to wonder if these are just myths.

It works (I go swimming twice a week), but as I mentioned, I'm not swimming with my streetwear on and also not in the ocean, which can make quite the difference I assume.

If you've never been on a cruise, you can't really fathom how terrifyingly hopeless he must have felt in that vast, freezing, seemingly endless ocean.

You fall and no one sees you...that's basically guaranteed death. This story is nuts.

GavinGT

Banned
One storey is 10+ feet, however a 10 storey building is NOT 100 feet tall.

There are spaces in between the floors for wiring/air/electrical/circulation. In this case if he went 21 storeys it could have been 250 feet really..

800px-Oasis_of_the_Seas.jpg

The ship in question has a height of 236 feet above the water line. By my estimation, that puts the top deck at about 160 feet up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Oasis_of_the_Seas

Bizazedo

One storey is 10+ feet, however a 10 storey building is NOT 100 feet tall.

There are spaces in between the floors for wiring/air/electrical/circulation. In this case if he went 21 storeys it could have been 250 feet really..

The Article said:
Royal Caribbean closed-circuit TV video showed the man was alone on the Oasis ship Deck 5 when he went overboard at 6:07 a.m. "There were no other guests or crew around at the time," said Cynthia Martinez, a Royal Caribbean spokeswoman.

I've been on the ship many times. It has over 15 decks. He did not fall 21 stories lol.

geeko

You should have seen my face when i read the thread title. I just started a 2 week cruise to hawaii today, and now I don't think I want another drink.

Maitiú

That has not been my experience..Neither has floating on back worked. So I am left to wonder if these are just myths.

Did you do it in ocean water? It has a higher specific gravity (~1.024) than a chlorine pool (~1.000), so it's easier to float. As an extreme demonstration of this effect, check out this idiot floating in the dead sea (s.g. of 1.166).

Here's more info on factors that affect floatation (fat, air in lungs, tissue distribution, age, sex, race).

It's kind of nuts how far people can fall and still survive. I remember when I went to visit my friend in a spinal injuries unit there was another patient who had fallen off a very large tower block (can't remember exactly, at least 14 stories if not more) and somehow remained whole and very much alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom